• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Leeds (A) - Sun 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The common sense approach from FIFA should be to put the onus on national teams to say that they can only select players who don't have to quarantine at either end of any trips. National teams have much bigger pools of players to choose from than club teams. So fucking obvious.

Can't see that at all. FIFA have no control over the PL clubs (that's UEFA).
Should clubs refuse to adhere to the five-day rule, then Article 22 of FIFA's disciplinary code states that they will forfeit any game in which an ineligible player has appeared, and face a corresponding fine. Players, too, may be hit with sanctions.

Should clubs refuse to adhere to the five-day rule, then Article 22 of FIFA's disciplinary code states that they will forfeit any game in which an ineligible player has appeared, and face a corresponding fine. Players, too, may be hit with sanctions.
Damn. Learnt something new. So I guess we can't just flick a V at them then.

I thought it was funny that the Brazilian police / health officials waited until 10 minutes into the game to "detain" those Argentinian players on Sunday. Almost like the Brazilian FA had asked them to see how the game was going and if it looked like an under-strength Brazil side were going to beat Argentina then they were happy to carry on, but once it looked like the Brazil boys were going to get beaten the police waded in mid-game and broke it all up.
As I say, it was almost like that was what happened, because of course that kind of thing would never happen in the real world.

So it seems all but certain that Alisson and Fabinho will miss the game, as will Firmino due to injury. Kelleher will step in for Ali and I think he'll do just fine. With Fabinho out and the possible injury to Elliott and Keita just returning from being a POW (is he officially back yet?), the midfield situation is once again tricky. Thiago should be able to pick some through balls through the holes in Bielsa's 1-on-1 man-marking system, but defensively he might also be exposed by their quick transition. I don't think Hendo and Milner (or Hendo and Ox) complement each other well in the middle; it would be nice for Keita to come back from his ordeal and for once show some balls – "yes boss, I haven't trained in a week and I slept on the floor of the airport covered in tarantulas, but I'm desperate to play and will put in a great performance if selected." But barring that, our best selection will probably be Thiago and Elliott (if fit) as the other 2 midfielders alongside Hendo at DM and then we'll have to hope that in a game of 2 attacks against 2 defenses, ours will prevail.

4-3-3:
-------------------Kelleher-----------------
-----------Matip-------Van Dijk-----------
Trent-------------Hendo----------Robbo
-------------Elliott--------Thiago----------
-----Salah----------Jota---------Mane--

Subs: Adrian, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas, Milner, Keita, Ox, Jones, Origi

If Naby is not available then I think this could be a good game for Jones to come back in. He has the ability to make stuff happen, but has also shown he can be disciplined and get stuck in. Hendo - Thiago - Jones could work, the roles would just need some tweaking to make it all fit. No Raphinha helps the cause massively as he is very important to their transition and attacking style.

Is it strange that I don't remember any of those goals?
Seriously, tried to predict what was going to happen, but I genuinely had no clue.
Well, except for the Kewell one.

Last edited:
If the Brazilians don't play, we won't win
Well Fab at least, also if Fab dont play, guarantee that Henderson will gwt injured and be out for 3 weeks. Even with Fab, it will be a difficult game, and I think it will go either way. If not then we will lose it.

They’ll play. Watch an amicable agreement be reached.

I think they are using this as leverage, there are more international breaks coming in Oct and Nov. They want to set a precedent that there players will be released. I think they will let this one go because it was a shit show

The Sky gambling post makes optimistic reading if you're a Liverpool fan.

If short prices are your thing, then Liverpool are worth a strong look for an away win here at 8/11 with Sky Bet.

Leeds have underwhelmed this season in their three fixtures, taking two points but losing the 'expected goals battle' in every game. Having home advantage here does slightly put me off an away win as Elland Road will be in raucous mood for this late afternoon clash in front of the Super Sunday cameras.

However, Liverpool are very experienced in being able to manage games and their performances against Leeds last season make them very hard to oppose over 90 minutes at whatever ground. In the two fixtures they racked up whopping 6.4 expected goals tally as Leeds' ploy of playing man-to-man against superior opposition backfired despite managing to take an undeserved point in the fixture at Elland Road. The potential absence of Raphinha also should not be underplayed for the home side. He could be a huge miss.

Sky Prediction 0-2

I think they are using this as leverage, there are more international breaks coming in Oct and Nov. They want to set a precedent that there players will be released. I think they will let this one go because it was a shit show
And yet if the same quarantine restrictions remain in place it's difficult to see the clubs releasing players, better to take the 5 day hit than the 1 or 2 week quarantine (whatever it is).

Excited to see Flabinho finally in action
113c9e3020d33df382c729adfd771fb7.jpg

[article]The team that have conceded the joint most shots on target this season (Leeds with 18, level with Arsenal) play the team that have had the most shots (Liverpool with 20, more than double Leeds’ nine) at Elland Road on Sunday. No team have been less accurate with their shots than Leeds (22% on target) but this game should feature the two most progressive passing players in the league. Leeds’ Luke Ayling has played the most passes that have significantly improved his team’s position. His opposite number, Trent Alexander-Arnold, is second on this list but has made far more passes into the opposing penalty area (11 to Ayling’s one). The game will be played on the first anniversary of the teams’ opening-day meeting at Anfield last season – Leeds won their next two after that; this year they have two points from three fixtures, and are in search of momentum.
[/article]

From the guardian’s 10 things to look out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom