• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Benfica (h) - CL QF - Wed 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Match thread starter
3-1 lead and a trip to Wembley at the weekend followed by huge games against United & Everton. I expect a few changes here.

- - - - - - - - Alisson - - - - - - - - - -
Trent - Konate - Virgil - Tsimikas
- - - - - - - - - Fabs - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - Keita - Jones - - - - - - -
- - - Jota - - - Bobby - - - - -Diaz - -

Fabs needs to find some form after that disasterclass, Robbo, Mo & Thiago should be rested for the FA Cup and subsequent games. Could even see some other fringe players like Elliot, Origi, Taki getting time in this (as subs). The game isn't over but we definitely have the class in the squad to win this without a couple of the stars.

I’d like Fabs (and Trent) to miss out. But nobody can really come in for him.

Alisson
Gomez
Konate
Van Dijk
Tsimikas
Fabinho
Keita
Jones
Diaz
Firmino
Jota

Bench:
Kelleher
Trent
Robertson
Matip
Henderson
Thiago
Milner
Salah
Mané
Elliott
Minamino
Origi

Last edited:
If we can't give Trent and Mo a rest in this game when can we ?! I can see Klopp giving Millie 60-65 mins at least.

This team, supplemented by Hendo, Mo, Mane and Mini between 55 and 75 mins, should be more than good enough. Strong defence and enough quality through midfield and up front to get a goal or two.

----------------- Alisson
Gomez - Konate - Virgil - Tsimikas
------------------ Milner
-------- Keita ------------- Jones
Elliott --------- Bobby - - - - -Diaz

Everyone keeps banging Virgil’s name down without a thought. He defo needs a rest before Saturday. I’d love to be confident enough to play a full 2nd team back four but I’ll settle for Gomez Joel konate Tsimikas

This is our big chance to recharge and get an advantage over City whilst they travel to Spain and are forced to go full strength

Everyone keeps banging Virgil’s name down without a thought. He defo needs a rest before Saturday. I’d love to be confident enough to play a full 2nd team back four but I’ll settle for Gomez Joel konate Tsimikas

This is our big chance to recharge and get an advantage over City whilst they travel to Spain and are forced to go full strength
How do you know it's without a thought ?! I thought about it but TBF CBs expend less energy than other players bar the GK so that's likely why most put him in. If I'm really honest I reckon Klopp will go with a near full-strength side and sub 5 off once it's sewn up.

How do you know it's without a thought ?! I thought about it but TBF CBs expend less energy than other players bar the GK so that's likely why most put him in. If I'm really honest I reckon Klopp will go with a near full-strength side and sub 5 off once it's sewn up.

Good reminder of the 5 subs rule. Agree that’s another way of getting down time

This Benfica team arent bad and I dont think a full rotation should be on the cards. Some players need their minutes managed.
But we have to field a strong team. The great thing about the CL is 5 subs and that should help us a lot if we are in control.

Start with a strong side, minus Fab Robbo and Mo. Try nick an early goal and kill it off before rolling through the subs

I think I recall someone, probably the manager, saying Virgil and Mo are fine playing every week but that can’t be an indefinite position.

Agreement from me, he could do with a game off. I thought he looked ropey against City but he was hardly only one.

We have to play our strongest side that’s available. You don’t rest in 2nd leg in a CL quarter final at Anfield unless you are Rogers as he did in group stages against RM IIRC.

Last edited:
At best we rotate one of the full backs. Konate will start and I can see Keita or Jones in for Thiago or Hendo. Diaz will start also

----------------Alisson
Gomez--Konate--VVD--Tsimikas
----------------Hendo--
------Keita---------------Jones
---Taki-------Bobby--------Diaz

Personally I'd rotate pretty heavily for this one. That should be strong enough to see off a 2-0 advantage at home.

.................Alisson
---Hendo--
------Keita--------------Minamino
---OX-------Bobby--------Diaz

We have to play our strongest side that’s available. You don’t rest in 2nd leg in a CL quarter final at Anfield unless you are Rogers as he did in group stages against RM IIRC.
So where are you going to weaken the team then? We can't 'play our strongest side' for every game and if we are to stay in the PL race then we need our strongest team out for every PL game (United and Everton the next two), plus of course the CL semis and possibly the FAC final if we get through (are you going to put out a weak side to play City in the semis on Saturday)?

If we can't rest a few players when 3-1 up and at home then I fail to see where you are going to have the opportunity. We have to look at this holistically. Everyone keeps banging on about how strong/deep our squad is - use it.

So where are you going to weaken the team then? We can't 'play our strongest side' for every game and if we are to stay in the PL race then we need our strongest team out for every PL game (United and Everton the next two), plus of course the CL semis and possibly the FAC final if we get through (are you going to put out a weak side to play City in the semis on Saturday)?

If we can't rest a few players when 3-1 up and at home then I fail to see where you are going to have the opportunity. We have to look at this holistically. Everyone keeps banging on about how strong/deep our squad is - use it.

Agreed. Plus the players we are rotating *in* are better than most of the players Rogers was rotating *out*

Calm down Froggy…

Nope, take this game as the most important one. We can’t pick and choose the games now, if we did then it’s the fa cup semi final as this more important at the moment and that game is before Tuesday game against united. It’s 3-1 at the moment but without away goals and Benfica showed if we don’t show up, they can take advantage like Atlanta did at home last year.
We can’t take risks at home in CL quarter final, we played over 15 games to get here so why is it suddenly worth risking?
Doesn’t matter how deep our squad is when the game is of this magnitude, you start strong and that includes a first choice front 3.
Pretty sure Diaz and Jota will start, then it’s a one off Mane and Salah.
Likes of Elliot won’t be near it as he hasn’t been in any of the last few games and still below our current lot and didn’t do enough against Inter when he started.
Bobby is a fav but can’t see him starting as he still looks off energy pressing wise but possibility.
Klopp and team will have the relevant data based on fitness and where the current lot are so presumably they will use a lot of that to pick.
Pretty sure Klopp will rotate against In fa cup semi with a couple and same in the next league games. It’s just how it is with the games now left.

Calm down Froggy…

Nope, take this game as the most important one. We can’t pick and choose the games now .....
Sorry mate but that's bollocks. We have a squad and we have to use it. Here are our remaining fixtures (if all goes to plan) !

The only time we wouldn't go full strength in the PL is if we've slipped up a couple of times and City have won all of theirs to stretch the lead to 5-6 points and we prioritise the CL. Benfica is basically the only time we don't need to field almost our strongest team (I can see others where e.g. Keita or Firmino or Diaz start, at the back Gomez or Konate if there are doubts over Matip or Trent, Tsimikas if any doubts over Robbo).

If we make the FAC final then Southampton will need to be rearranged - likely Tues 17th May.

Wed.13th (H) Benfica CL. : absolutely need to rest at least 2-3 first teamers after City 1 and before City 2
Sat.16th (N) Man City FAC : Full strength
Tues.19th (H) United PL : Full strength
Sun. 24th (H) Everton PL : Full strength
Wed. 27th CL SEMIS 1st Leg : Full strength
Sat. 30th (A) Newcastle PL : Full strength
Wed. 4th CL SEMIS 2nd Leg : Full strength
Sat. 7th (H) Spurs PL : Full strength
Tues. 10th (A) Villa PL : Full strength
Sat. 14th FA CUP FINAL : Full strength
Sun. 15th (A) Southampton PL : Full strength
Sun. 22nd (H) Wolves PL : Full strength
Sat. 28th CL FINAL : Full strength

Sorry mate but that's bollocks. We have a squad and we have to use it. Here are our remaining fixtures (if all goes to plan) !

The only time we wouldn't go full strength in the PL is if we've slipped up a couple of times and City have won all of theirs to stretch the lead to 5-6 points and we prioritise the CL. Benfica is basically the only time we don't need to field almost our strongest team (I can see others where e.g. Keita or Firmino or Diaz start, at the back Gomez or Konate if there are doubts over Matip or Trent, Tsimikas if any doubts over Robbo).

If we make the FAC final then Southampton will need to be rearranged - likely Tues 17th May.

Wed.13th (H) Benfica CL. : absolutely need to rest at least 2-3 first teamers after City 1 and before City 2
Sat.16th (N) Man City FAC : Full strength
Tues.19th (H) United PL : Full strength
Sun. 24th (H) Everton PL : Full strength
Wed. 27th CL SEMIS 1st Leg : Full strength
Sat. 30th (A) Newcastle PL : Full strength
Wed. 4th CL SEMIS 2nd Leg : Full strength
Sat. 7th (H) Spurs PL : Full strength
Tues. 10th (A) Villa PL : Full strength
Sat. 14th FA CUP FINAL : Full strength
Sun. 15th (A) Southampton PL : Full strength
Sun. 22nd (H) Wolves PL : Full strength
Sat. 28th CL FINAL : Full strength
That's complete tosh.
Regarding the logic somehow resting for this game and playing full strength for rest of the games remaining doesn't make sense, it won't alleviate the issue with average rest days now between 3-4 days. Klopp will very likely rotate post this game more than this one I reckon as it will likely to keep the squad fresher going forward.

As I said, the level of rotation you suggest, I can't see it.
It's crazy and mental logic to rest in CL QF final 2nd leg for reasons said above.
In my own opinion (this forum is all about opinions if I remember), Konate and Tsmikas isn't what I consider actual resting anyway, they maybe actually better for this game on Matip and Robbo on current form anyway but Elliot and Milner and Bobby?, can't see it.

Play what Klopp will consider full strength then rotate a few between United and Everton with 1-2 changes.

Not going to into every starting personnel but I had the the last 2 lineups bang on so will again back myself for at least getting the front 3 at least right.

That's complete tosh.
Regarding the logic somehow resting for this game and playing full strength for rest of the games remaining doesn't make sense, it won't alleviate the issue with average rest days now between 3-4 days. Klopp will very likely rotate post this game more than this one I reckon as it will likely to keep the squad fresher going forward.

As I said, the level of rotation you suggest, I can't see it.
It's crazy and mental logic to rest in CL QF final 2nd leg for reasons said above.
In my own opinion (this forum is all about opinions if I remember), Konate and Tsmikas isn't what I consider actual resting anyway, they maybe actually better for this game on Matip and Robbo on current form anyway but Elliot and Milner and Bobby?, can't see it.

Play what Klopp will consider full strength then rotate a few between United and Everton with 1-2 changes.

Not going to personnel who will start but I have the the last 2 lineups bang on so will again back myself for at least getting the front 3 at least right.
Haha well as to 'getting the lineups bang on' I wasn't going to say anything but you chose 14 players for the last one ! Every one of your attackers was either/or. Not difficult to get that bang on is it. I'll have to start doing that in future so I can say I got it bang on too.

So you don't consider bringing in Konate / Tsimikas isn't resting 1st team players? Seriously ? And resting players for this game won't make them fresher (for the FAC) ? When you say things like that one has to wonder what the point of this discussion is because that's bollocks.

And yes that is my opinion.

----------------Alisson
----------------Hendo--
------Keita---------------Jones
---Taki-------Bobby--------Diaz

Personally I'd rotate pretty heavily for this one. That should be strong enough to see off a 2-0 advantage at home.

It shows now that we have good alternatives up front center and left, but not for Salah.

Haha well as to 'getting the lineups bang on' I wasn't going to say anything but you chose 14 players for the last one ! Every one of your attackers was either/or. Not difficult to get that bang on is it. I'll have to start doing that in future so I can say I got it bang on too.

So you don't consider bringing in Konate / Tsimikas isn't resting 1st team players? Seriously ? And resting players for this game won't make them fresher (for the FAC) ? When you say things like that one has to wonder what the point of this discussion is because that's bollocks.

And yes that is my opinion.
Where did I choose 14?
I said either or I think IIRC but nice politicians way of representing my original post on likely lineup from yourself, so not sure what you are on about but you seem to be again taking this all rather personally since you seem to be bring my old posts almost Rosco like. Anyway I was a damn sight closer than your one for Benfica first leg?
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is??? The winner with the most actual starters, contributions to charity of choice :)

So your suggested line up against mine and see which Klopp goes with.
This is yours for 2nd leg:
---------------- Alisson

Mine (full line up):
---------------- Alisson
Trent - Konate - Virgil - Robbo
------------------ Fabinho
-------- Keita ------------- Thiago
Salah--------- Jota--------- Diaz

Last edited:
Where did I choose 14?
I said either or I think IIRC but nice politicians way of representing my original post on likely lineup from yourself, so not sure what you are on about but you seem to be again taking this all rather personally since you seem to be bring my old posts almost Rosco like. Anyway I was a damn sight closer than your one for Benfica first leg?
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is??? The winner with the most actual starters, contributions to charity of choice :)

So your suggested line up against mine and see which Klopp goes with.
This is yours for 2nd leg:
---------------- Alisson

Mine (full line up):
---------------- Alisson
Trent - Konate - Virgil - Robbo
------------------ Fabinho
-------- Keita ------------- Thiago
Salah--------- Jota--------- Diaz
Nope you are 100% wrong. Why? Because I never go with what I think the team will be but what it should be (because I don't play this childish game - "look I got the team selection right", what are you like 12 years old) ! If you look at this Benfica game I've actually said (a few post down from 'my team') that Klopp will choose another team entirely, but I wouldn't.

As for team selection - well you and Klopp both got City wrong (although TBF nearly everyone had at least 10/11) because we didn't win and who's to say another selection wouldn't have won? A perfect example being the 4-0 over Barca. Nobody in their right mind would have picked that team (all players being fit) and yet it's very likely our strongest team wouldn't have won 4-0. So unless that team selection actually starts it's impossible to say if it's right or wrong. I'm just on about resting players for the matches ahead as against playing them in an unnecessary match - Jota vs Midtjylland comes to mind.

Last edited:
Nope you are 100% wrong. Why? Because I never go with what I think the team will be but what it should be (because I don't play this childish game - "look I got the team selection right", what are you like 12 years old) ! If you look at this Benfica game I've actually said (a few post down from 'my team') that Klopp will choose another team entirely, but I wouldn't.

As for team selection - well you and Klopp both got City wrong (although TBF nearly everyone had at least 10/11) because we didn't win and who's to say another selection wouldn't have won? A perfect example being the 4-0 over Barca. Nobody in their right mind would have picked that team (all players being fit) and yet it's very likely our strongest team wouldn't have won 4-0.
Wind your neck in a bit, why do you take this so personally? You seem just keen to personally to just dig up posters like but then excuse yourself. Your behaviour is not constructive and seem to do this regularly with others too. My original post was made yesterday unrelated to anything you said but you waded in and now are in element? Is this forum your vent channel?

Ok this is pointless anyway, your line up was wrong but since it's never likely to play we shall never know. It's not about me being right but let's face it, I was :) more right, since you went down that route.
Your picking a team without any context and reasoning like some FIFA youth about based on some logic where we rest against Benfica but play full strength against every single game left regardless of recovery time? I don't see the sense in that.
Barca was game unique, it was due to the number of forced changes due to injuries. I don't see the relevancy here.
I honestly don't care what your line up and , it's a matter of opinions and have justified mine.
I will take judgement of Klopp and backing team over yours anyday.

Last edited:
Wind your neck in a bit, why do you take this so personally? You seem just keen to personally to just dig up posters like but then excuse yourself. Your behaviour is not constructive and seem to do this regularly with others too. My original post was made yesterday unrelated to anything you said but you waded in and now are in element? Is this forum your vent channel?

Ok this is pointless anyway, your line up was wrong but since it's never likely to play we shall never know. It's not about me being right but let's face it, I was :) more everytime if we had to down that route.
Your picking a team without any context and reasoning like some FIFA youth about based on some logic where we rest against Benfica but play full strength against every single game left regardless of recovery time? I don't see the sense in that.
Barca was game unique, it was due to the number of forced changes due to injuries. I don't see the relevancy here.
I honestly don't care what your line up and , it's a matter of opinions and have justified mine.
I will take judgement of Klopp and backing team over yours anyday.
Jesus Christ. Are you related to Donavan? Because you missed every single point even though explained to you. Congratulations, that's another record for you.

Jesus Christ. Are you related to Donavan? Because you missed every single point even though explained to you. Congratulations, that's another record for you.
Are you Rosco in disguise?
Seriously, you need to take a step back and look at your posts. The reason we probably are not getting any new posters is due to the likes of yourself who just keen to shout down people without sticking to a constructive discussion. You have not answered any of points but keen to carry on talking Bollocks, well done. No change there then.
Stick to the main discussion without getting personal.

Are you Rosco in disguise?
Seriously, you need to take a step back and look at your posts. The reason we probably are not getting any new posters is due to the likes of yourself who just keen to shout down people without sticking to a constructive discussion. You have not answered any of points but keen to carry on talking Bollocks, well done. No change there then.
Stick to the main discussion without getting personal.
I gave you a constructive discussion - you failed to understand it (and therefore couldn't debate it intelligently), instead you went off on a tangent about who got the most selections right (even though that was totally irrelevant and nobody here gives a monkey's left testicle - except you, keen to put trophies on your mantelpiece) ... which says it all really.

I gave you a constructive discussion - you failed to understand it (and therefore couldn't debate it intelligently), instead you went off on a tangent about who got the most selections right (even though that was totally irrelevant and nobody here gives a monkey's left testicle - except you, keen to put trophies on your mantelpiece) ... which says it all really.
Listed my reasoning but you seem keen to just avoid it, so if you can't understand it then it says more about your own intelligence., if this is your highlight of your debating skill then gosh, just wow. Go and read it back and maybe try it slowweeeeerrrr next time.
Good luck with that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom