• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Arsenal (H) - Carabao Cup - Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather we played Robbo than shoe horned Millie in at LB. We'll get more opportunities to rest Robbo once Kostas is back fit but a couple of games at the start of the season shouldn't be too much strain.

Arsenal have a large experienced squad. This is going to be a much tougher game to win than yesterday's.

Maybe.:

• Macey
  • Chambers
  • Gabriel
  • Sokratis / Saliba
  • Kolasinac
  • Guendouzi
  • Willock
  • Saka
  • Pépé
  • Nketiah
  • Nelson

I think Mikel will balance playing the squad versus wanting to progress and find ways to keep trophies coming to the club. I would expect some other names like Xhaka, Laca, Luiz etc. to all feature.

I think Mikel will balance playing the squad versus wanting to progress and find ways to keep trophies coming to the club. I would expect some other names like Xhaka, Laca, Luiz etc. to all feature.
Maybe. But they play Sheff Utd on Sunday, so if any of those play tomorrow then it's likely they won't play 3 games within 8 days.

Some shit reserve keeper
Sokratis Gabriel Saliba
Cedric Ceballos Willock Saka
Pepe Nketiah Nelson

Considering Torreira, Guendouzi and Kolasinac are all gone, this is an entirely different lineup to the one in the league and it's not a bad team to put out in a cup game at all. Might actually prefer they played Leno because these random no-name keepers always tend to have the performances of their lives in games like this one. But we should win anyway because we're great and they're Arsenal

It would be a very threatening front line, we'd have to be on top of our tactics to cut out the supply to them.

I think a few first-teamers will have to play; Arsenal have a lot of strength in depth and for me it's too risky to rely on 2 young CBs and Grujic in front of them in this game. I also wouldn't sacrifice Milner at LB against Pepe and as far as the CB pair, retaining the one from the game against Lincoln is probably the easiest option. In attack, the front 3 of Taki, Origi and Jota looks quite dangerous on paper, whether they play as an attacking trident or the tip of the "diamond."

------------------Adrian---------------
-----R. Williams---Van Dijk--------
N. Williams-----------------Robbo
---------------Fabinho---------------
-------Keita------------Jones-------
---------------Minamino-------------
-------------Origi-----Jota-----------

Subs: Kelleher, Gomez, Koumetio, Trent, Milner, Grujic, Shaqiri

Last edited:
I would maybe let Gomez play the 1st half given that he has been out for a wee while, and have Van Dijk on the bench with Fabinho just in case.
But no point in risking van Dijk given the amount of games coming up.

There are also these horrendous international games coming up, and our players will feature a lot there aswell. Can expect a few injuries..

Has Larouci buggered off yet.

He can have a crack at left back

I think a few first-teamers will have to play; Arsenal have a lot of strength in depth and for me it's too risky to rely on 2 young CBs and Grujic in front of them in this game. I also wouldn't sacrifice Milner at LB against Pepe and as far as the CB pair, retaining the one from the game against Lincoln is probably the easiest option. In attack, the front 3 of Taki, Origi and Jota looks quite dangerous on paper, whether they play as an attacking trident or the tip of the "diamond."

You want to risk VvD and Fabs, two of our key players, with a far more important PL match just 3 days later on Sunday ?! Meaning they play 3 games in 8 days? Or do you intend to drop them for Villa ?!

You want to risk VvD and Fabs, two of our key players, with a far more important PL match just 3 days later on Sunday ?! Meaning they play 3 games in 8 days? Or do you intend to drop them for Villa ?!

There is no reason why professional athletes cannot play 3 games in a row once in a while. You cannot do it for the whole season, but Klopp has played the same player on a weekend, midweek, and next weekend plenty of times. What's with our fans willing to throw away a game and a competition? VVD played against Lincoln, but somehow it's blasphemy to suggest he play against Arsenal?

As for starting Gomez vs VVD – either way it's a risk, but I think it's a bit bigger risk with Gomez, considering he's been more injury-prone of the two AND just recently coming back from an injury. Plus Van Dijk's presence will do a lot more to settle Rhys Williams or Koumetio alongside him and extinguish the hopes of Arsenal players as soon as they see his name on the team sheet. Van Dijk plays the game in a relaxed manner without spending unnecessary energy and it's almost the same for Fabinho. BTW Hendo might be ready for Villa.

Last edited:

For some reason I want us to continue on the up run, maybe because it gives the likes of Jones, Neco and other fringe players more games.
However this is the worst time to play Robbo. Why? Because he wants to be fresh for Scotland's playoff game against Israel and their two other games.
The only way this works out is if Klopp gambles on Tsimikas fitness by playing Robbo against Arsenal and Tsimikas against Villa on Sunday.
But that just seems like a stupid gamble to make, considering it's the league cup.

It's unfortunate that we had to play Arsenal this early in the cup but, I hope Klopp focuses on the Villa game and rests the entire XI that are supposed to play in that game bar Gomez maybe.

There is no reason why professional athletes cannot play 3 games in a row once in a while. You cannot do it for the whole season, but Klopp has played the same player on a weekend, midweek, and next weekend plenty of times. What's with our fans willing to throw away a game and a competition? VVD played against Lincoln, but somehow it's blasphemy to suggest he play against Arsenal?

As for playing Gomez vs VVD – either way it's a risk, but I think it's a bit bigger risk with Gomez, considering he's been more injury-prone of the two AND coming back from injury. Plus Van Dijk's presence will do a lot more to settle Rhys Williams or Koumetio alongside him and extinguish the hopes of Arsenal players as soon as they see his name on the team sheet. Van Dijk plays the game in a relaxed manner without spending unnecessary energy and it's almost the same for Fabinho.
Virtually everyone was up in arms at VvD starting against Lincoln. Please don't make out the fans were happy then, they clearly weren't - just look at the pre-game/match threads. And not playing VvD doesn't mean 'throwing' the game which you are insinuating.

In a way I can understand VvD being played in a game vs. Lincoln, getting back to full fitness and yet playing against weaker opposition where the effort/strain will be far lower. Give me 3 points away at Villa every time (which isn't to say we won't win both anyway). I just wouldn't risk playing our key players, in 3 games in 8 days, when they are not even up to full fitness yet.

Virtually everyone was up in arms at VvD starting against Lincoln. Please don't make out the fans were happy then, they clearly weren't - just look at the pre-game/match threads. And not playing VvD doesn't mean 'throwing' the game which you are insinuating.

In a way I can understand VvD being played in a game vs. Lincoln, getting back to full fitness and yet playing against weaker opposition where the effort/strain will be far lower. Give me 3 points away at Villa every time (which isn't to say we won't win both anyway). I just wouldn't risk playing our key players, in 3 games in 8 days, when they are not even up to full fitness yet.

I don't know, I just wouldn't go into any game with a team that I don't believe has a good chance to win. Are you seriously suggesting starting with a Koumetio-Rhys Williams CB partnership against Arsenal? Plus 34 year old Milner at LB against Pepe? That's just not fair to the rest of the players who will put maximum effort to win this game (and I've already addressed why VVD is a better risk/reward than Gomez IMO).

Last edited:
Utd
City
Everton
Spurs
Villa
Leicester

Already through. Could get a tasty qf if we win.

I’d like to win a domestic cup.

This is a nothing competition and we should treat it as that.

I think we've got the squad to compete for everything this season and playing the odd first teamer might be necessary in the areas we don't have depth.

I don't know, I just wouldn't go into any game with a team that I don't believe has a good chance to win. Are you seriously suggesting starting with a Koumetio-Rhys Williams CB partnership against Arsenal? Plus 34 year old Milner at LB against Pepe? That's just not fair to the rest of the players who will put maximum effort in to win this game (and I've already addressed why VVD is a better risk/reward than Gomez IMO).
Well Klopp has often played the kids in the LC so it wouldn't be a first by a long way.

TBH I am not sure what our genuine options are, we may have to get creative. However I (personally) wouldn't be risking key players in the last 16 of the LC against the Arsenal B team. Who knows what Klopp will do, certainly Matip & Phillips being injured, and Lovren sold, greatly reduces his options.

We used Fabinho as a makeshift CB, how about Grujic? 6' 3", good tackler, header and passer. We have enough CM options to drop him back. I don't know if he's ever played there ... I'd be surprised with his physical attributes if he hasn't.

................................. Adrian

N. Williams ... Grujic .............. R.Williams ...... Milner

............... Shaqiri ...................... Jones

................................ Minamino

Elliot. ......................... Origi ................ Jota

If we draft Larouci in then that releases Milner into LM where he can help to protect him and would enable Jones the AM role and Minamino to play in the front three.

With so many injuries : Phillips, Tsimikas, Matip, Hendo Thiago, & Ox. our options have been greatly reduced. Now's not the time to be risking further injuries where we don't have first team backup (CB), IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom