• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Poll: Will Newcastle go down this season?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Will Newcastle go down?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair argument, that. I'm not persuaded they'll be able to sign enough players of sufficient quality (what they have now won't cut it) but I accept it's in the balance.

Norwich and Newcastle will bring up 19th and 20th.

Who finishes 17th will be very much up in the air. Everton without DCL could easily go down, but I think he'll return and fire them up to safety, Burnley will surely improve; experienced squad and manager, Watford are very inconsistent, but they have decent attacking firepower to secure enough victories.

I'd throw my money on Southampton to finish 17th.

Geordie land. Strange place football wise. Can't help thinking the thousands upon thousands of Newcastle fans and Sunderland even more so, have been let down by both boards. Only Kevin Keegan and poss Bobby Robson were any good. Rafa pitched up, took them down, then back up again, then more or less said sod this I'm off. 3 years was enough.

Poison challice club, not quite as bad as Everton but in that ball park.

I still think they’re not far enough removed from the teams above to make relegation a certainty.

Couple of loan signings and a couple of “battle hardened” players might sort them out - it’s short term players they need right now, not players that are going to get them into Europe, but players that could see the battle up the league enough to stay up.

Tarkowski, Traoré, someone with a bit of bite in midfield and maybe a striker of some sort.

Yes pretty much agree.
Need some loan players from abroad a couple of battle hard signings from the Championship along with one or two premier league players should see them OK as long as they integrate hem into their starting team. they should survive

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ool-coaching-staff-mark-leyland-b1975990.html
[article]Newcastle United have pulled off a backroom coup in an aid to navigate away from relegation danger by poaching Mark Leyland from Liverpool to be their first-team coach analyst.

The 36-year-old joined the Anfield club in 2013 from Burnley, where he developed a strong working relationship with Eddie Howe
– a bond that stretched beyond the professional, with the pair continuing to keep in touch after their paths diverged.

The Newcastle manager turned to Leyland, part of Liverpool’s brains trust as they became champions of England, Europe and the world, to help shape the club’s on-pitch strategy.

His remit is a hybrid between a coach and collating performance data in an effort to make sure the approach to analysis is streamlined from training sessions through to all match preparation.

Leyland moved to Newcastle last week with the blessing of Jurgen Klopp and Pep Lijnders, who were keen for him to stay but appreciated he couldn’t rebuff the opportunity to advance his career by assuming greater responsibility and shifting into a coaching set-up.

He had been head of post-match and elite player development analysis at Liverpool, so the job represents a promotion.

Leyland follows fellow analyst Harrison Kingston in leaving the Merseyside club. He departed last year to become Director of Performance Analysis and Framework at the Moroccan Football Federation.

Liverpool believe the high demand for their staff is a showcase of the world-class operation built behind the scenes. There is no concern over exits as the structure, talent pool and transition process is solid at the club.

Leyland faces the enormous task of helping formulate a plan to frustrate his title-chasing former employers on Thursday when Newcastle travel to Anfield.

The challenge doesn’t ease up with Manchester City and Manchester United to come before the turn of the year.[/article]

Newcastle. Hiring Eddie Howe to bring out the best in a talented attack is all good if your defence isn't on track to be the worst PL team at conceding chances since 2014. An average of 2.09 Expected Goals Against per game will be enough to see them relegated if it continues.

Wolves. A curious underperformance on underlying metrics. Their matches average 1.50 goals per game - compared with 2.60 on xG. Both attacking & defensive shot maps are a sea of blue - a bit more orange in the second half of the campaign & their games might be more watchable.

FHTt-1cXoAwq7EB

Crystal Palace. Patrick Vieira deserves a huge amount of credit for their performances. They have been excellent & deserve to be higher than 11th according to the underlying numbers. The Eagles hold the best Expected Goal Difference of any team outside the top three.

FHTxe6CXEAkiD60

Brighton. The time of year for tradition, so how could we pick out anything other than an underperformance on Expected Goals? Graham Potter's side have scored only 14 from a total of 20.9 xGF, missing 13 big chances in the process.

FHT0F7DWYAMt6dw

Everton. A solid start under Rafa Benitez seems a long time ago. Injuries have been a huge factor, but the defensive process has simply not been good enough considering the Spaniard's style of play. They have averaged 2.10 Expected Goals Against per game across their last 11.

Southampton. Marching towards another distinctly average campaign. Scoring just 16 goals from 22.9 Expected Goals has not helped, Danny Ings clearly a big miss. It is a data point that will need to be improved if Ralph Hasenhuttl wants to avoid a relegation fight.

Leeds. Struck hard by injuries, but their defensive process is that of a relegation candidate. Only Newcastle have conceded more chances. Marcelo Bielsa's side, who have shipped 34.9 Expected Goals Against in 18 games, look especially vulnerable to counter-attacks:

FHT3FRTWYBAwRw7

Watford. Perhaps their inconsistency & attacking talent will help them survive. The Hornets have recorded Expected Goals For totals of 1.22, 2.92, 3.48 & 2.89 in their four wins, counting on sporadic - but impressive - displays to gain points.

Norwich. They look a little better since Dean Smith's appointment, but really need to do the following if they want to stay up: A) Create more chances B) Score more goals from those chances Two of their 8 goals came from the spot, so that's 6 goals from 14.9 xGF:

FHT66zjWQAkYLqP

Burnley. The Clarets are ranking as one of the worst teams in the league. Sean Dyche's side are 16th on Expected Goal Difference (-7.7 xGD) and currently sitting two points from safety puts them in a precarious position.

FHUCC-ZXMA4xW5i

Newcastle. Hiring Eddie Howe to bring out the best in a talented attack is all good if your defence isn't on track to be the worst PL team at conceding chances since 2014. An average of 2.09 Expected Goals Against per game will be enough to see them relegated if it continues.

Wolves. A curious underperformance on underlying metrics. Their matches average 1.50 goals per game - compared with 2.60 on xG. Both attacking & defensive shot maps are a sea of blue - a bit more orange in the second half of the campaign & their games might be more watchable.

FHTt-1cXoAwq7EB

Crystal Palace. Patrick Vieira deserves a huge amount of credit for their performances. They have been excellent & deserve to be higher than 11th according to the underlying numbers. The Eagles hold the best Expected Goal Difference of any team outside the top three.

FHTxe6CXEAkiD60

Brighton. The time of year for tradition, so how could we pick out anything other than an underperformance on Expected Goals? Graham Potter's side have scored only 14 from a total of 20.9 xGF, missing 13 big chances in the process.

FHT0F7DWYAMt6dw

Everton. A solid start under Rafa Benitez seems a long time ago. Injuries have been a huge factor, but the defensive process has simply not been good enough considering the Spaniard's style of play. They have averaged 2.10 Expected Goals Against per game across their last 11.

Southampton. Marching towards another distinctly average campaign. Scoring just 16 goals from 22.9 Expected Goals has not helped, Danny Ings clearly a big miss. It is a data point that will need to be improved if Ralph Hasenhuttl wants to avoid a relegation fight.

Leeds. Struck hard by injuries, but their defensive process is that of a relegation candidate. Only Newcastle have conceded more chances. Marcelo Bielsa's side, who have shipped 34.9 Expected Goals Against in 18 games, look especially vulnerable to counter-attacks:

FHT3FRTWYBAwRw7

Watford. Perhaps their inconsistency & attacking talent will help them survive. The Hornets have recorded Expected Goals For totals of 1.22, 2.92, 3.48 & 2.89 in their four wins, counting on sporadic - but impressive - displays to gain points.

Norwich. They look a little better since Dean Smith's appointment, but really need to do the following if they want to stay up: A) Create more chances B) Score more goals from those chances Two of their 8 goals came from the spot, so that's 6 goals from 14.9 xGF:

FHT66zjWQAkYLqP

Burnley. The Clarets are ranking as one of the worst teams in the league. Sean Dyche's side are 16th on Expected Goal Difference (-7.7 xGD) and currently sitting two points from safety puts them in a precarious position.

FHUCC-ZXMA4xW5i

That's really interesting, especially the Palace stats. Best of the rest

Norwich, Newcastle and Watford are my three to go. I'd prefer Burnley to be in there given their WWF style of "football" and that gobsh!te Dyche shooting his mouth off at Jürgen before now, but they know how to push the rules to the limit and I think they'll survive, worse luck.

Burnley have the oldest average starting XI this season in the Premier League (29y 22d) and have played more players aged 30+ than any other side (12).
FIat-tBXEAIBtar

Despite playing just 18 matches in the Premier League this season, Everton have used 28 players – the most of any club in the competition. Michael Keane is the only outfielder to play every single minute of Premier League action for his club in 2021-22.
FIauN4kWQAANcMC

An injury crisis hasn’t helped matters, but Leeds United have given appearances to four players currently in their teenage years in the Premier League this season – more than any other club.
FIauSOeX0AQihmN

Newcastle United are the only club without giving an appearance to a player currently aged under 21 or under.
FIaupCWX0AI_D5y

Just four players have scored a Premier League goal for Norwich this season, which is the lowest total in the competition. 62.5% have come from Teemu Pukki – the highest proportion from a single player for their club.
FIaut_QWYAEf5Hs

The second oldest starting XI average age in the Premier League this season (28y 315d) behind only Burnley. They also have the oldest manager (for now).
FIau-usWYAM8iIx

Fair argument, that. I'm not persuaded they'll be able to sign enough players of sufficient quality (what they have now won't cut it) but I accept it's in the balance.
Yep. There was a discussion recently on Dembele going there - I just don't think they are in that market yet for players that are going to cost the better part of £150m over 5 years (let's not even discuss the transfer fees for others).

Trippier is the perfect profile for them. Good players that want a good pay day, players nearing the end of their shelf life and wanting a good pay off / last big contract that won't be too arsed if they are relegated and need a year in the Championship (they'll bounce right back up but it may delay the project by a year). I can see them making 4 or 5 of those transfers in a bid to stay up. But having to integrate those players into a team with so many new arrivals isn't going to guarantee results. They are still one of the favourites for relegation in my book.

They just signed Chris Wood just signed from Burnley.
Whoa, they really mean business...
Lol

They just signed Chris Wood just signed from Burnley.
Whoa, they really mean business...
Lol

He's scored a lot of goals in the Championship. They won't be able to sign big name players if they relegated but he'll score goals there next season.

Sounds cynical but assuming Watford and Norwich go down it could come down to Burnley and Newcastle for the last spot. They've just bought a player with a decent scoring record and taken him away from a direct rival. There could be something in that too.

One extra goal is all it could take to separate relegation from survival and he’s been Burnley’s goal getter for the past 3-4 years, they’ll struggle big time.

The bottom 3 will be as it stands for sure.

The same Chris Wood that outscored Firmino, Jota and Mane in the league last year? LOL indeed
You can't be serious.
What are you saying? That he's better?
Jota played like 20 games last season, many of them sub appearences.

Callum Wilson is injured though isn’t he, that’s the real motivation behind this move.

Divock wasn’t even fit when we had the opportunity to pull someone’s pants down over a price for him, amazing.

Sounds cynical but assuming Watford and Norwich go down it could come down to Burnley and Newcastle for the last spot. They've just bought a player with a decent scoring record and taken him away from a direct rival. There could be something in that too.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. He has managed double figures in the league every season since joining them. Short term solution but a considerably good one. If Burnley can make a signing as good as Cornet, then it could be a good deal for them too - making a £10m profit on a 30 yr old after 5 years.

Tripper to supply Wood with the crosses?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

FI2cCvFWUAQNXlu

Last edited:
You can't be serious.
What are you saying? That he's better?
Jota played like 20 games last season, many of them sub appearences.

Hes obviously not better, but he's not a hopeless scrub either as the number show and he's probably better suited to a relegation dogfight than most of ours. 12 PL goals last season, he could well get enough to keep them in the division. You don't need 25 goal a season strikers when you are battling relegation you need a few scrappy 1-0 wins to get over the line. Somebody will probably stay up with less than 30 points this year.

Whilst it'd be funny to see them relegated (again), they'll get a load of money from the parachute payments and be back up after a year.

I wonder if having them survive is a price worth paying to finally rid the league of Dyche and Burnley.

Great point. Be interesting to see who Burnley spend the money on (if anyone).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom