• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll [Poll] Rodgers Biggest & Best Signing ?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Rodgers Best ever signing ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said multiple times before Mario signed that we didn't want him. Which bit is wrong? He got lumbered with a notorious fuckwit that managers like Jose also failed to manage. Its not a blame game, it was a project that was doomed to fail from the off. And I havent heard Rogers sucking his own cock about Suarez and co, no more than any other manager would. That's just nonsense.
Nothing is “wrong” as you say it. No, we just got to know who was to blame for the failures not the successes. And if you read the articles about the “committee” at that time— there was one particular hatchet job on Edwards by Neil Ashton, for example— it was a blame game.

Last edited:
Rogers was talked into signing Mario, he never wanted him. He made loads of noise dismissing the links with him at the time.

"What we wanted and what we needed was a player who could really press at the top end of the field,” said Rodgers. “It wasn’t just a goalscorer we were after. I felt Mario was someone who wouldn’t work for us. But come the end of the summer, we were struggling to get someone who could do the role we wanted. I think the ownership group thought that this could be a player I could develop."

“They were thinking that maybe he is a £50m player that we can get for £16m. So, when the owners are wanting you to go down that route and there is no other options, then of course you give it a go.”

Rodgers wanted Alexis Sanchez to fill the void left by the sale of Luis Suarez to Barcelona, but he joined Arsenal. “The huge blow for us was we felt we were getting Alexis Sanchez,” he said. “We thought Luis was going and he would have been the like-for-like replacement. He would have been perfect for us.”
I always felt this was Rodgers being a bit duplicitous and defensive. These quotes were from 2016 and he was distancing himself from any poor managerial decisions and almost pleading for dispensation on transfers (including all the superstar players he had lined up but that the club hierarchy didn’t get over the line for him)..... and it also wasn’t the account that was coming out from the club and Gerrards recollections at the time don’t back him up either:

“You know we've missed out on a couple of signings. I'm basically left with no option but to have a bit of a gamble” (on Ballotelli)

It been great though..

The likes of Coutinho, Firmino, Milner, Lallana and even Lovren to a point became much different players. Improved no end when a 'proper' manager rather than a chancer was at the helm.

Lallana was a fine example.. He was brilliant in his first full season under klopp, much improved.. Quicker feet, arguably our best player that season. Shame really injury cut short his involvement in the last 3 seasons..

I detest this rewriting of history like labeling Rodgers a chancer. Yes, he ultimately fell short of the standards we needed, yes personality-wise he wasn't the best fit, but he was a decent manager. He came closest of every manager between Dalglish 1st and Klopp to winning the title.

To preempt the inevitable "that was Suarez", let me remind you it was Rodgers ho got the team playing a style that made the most of Suarez, and don't forget Suarez missed a quarter of that season

Last edited:
It been great though..

The likes of Coutinho, Firmino, Milner, Lallana and even Lovren to a point became much different players. Improved no end when a 'proper' manager rather than a chancer was at the helm.

Lallana was a fine example.. He was brilliant in his first full season under klopp, much improved.. Quicker feet, arguably our best player that season. Shame really injury cut short his involvement in the last 3 seasons..

Chancer? Fuck off, like you know Jack shit about football.

There's been good and bad in all of our managers. Admittedly it would be bloody difficult to find the good in Hodgson, but relatively speaking there will be something.

A while ago when we ranked previous managers I placed Rodgers towards the end. That was because he didn't win anything. It also didn't help that he seemed like a bit of a knob.

However, on the whole he was decent enough. As we can see in this thread, he signed a lot of decent players (as well as some rubbish, but they have ALL bought some rubbish). He also nearly won the title and clearly deserves credit for that.

Chancer? Fuck off, like you know Jack shit about football.
All to easy.. @mark1975.. All to easy..

I was referring to a previous post for years back.. 'Proper Manager'.

Laid the bait you took it.. [emoji23]

I still think he was a chancer and as Richey put it.. 'a bit of a knob' though mind.. His press conferences in his last full season all but summed that up for me.

I couldn't take to Rodgers. Still don't particularly like him.

He's an alright manager, though, I suppose.

There was a recent article in Athletic which insinuated that Balotelli was not 100% the transfer committee and Rodgers did push for the transfer. Rodgers transfers may not have been that great overall but if we had purchased the signings he had pushed for, we might have had Bertrand instead of Moreno and Dele Alli here at Liverpool.

It is difficult to evaluate how good Rodgers transfers are until we know - signings he pushed for and got, signings he pushed for and got overruled, signings transfer committee pushed for and got, and signings the transfer committee pushed for and did not get. We will never know that.

I think he left at the right moment but never understood why LFC fans have to take digs at him after all these years. Yes, his press conferences do grate a little but he has always been respectful towards us fans after he left. The football we played during the spring of our title challenge was the best I had seen from us in the premier league era until that time. 20 minutes into that Arsenal game, if someone had started a thread polling if Rodgers deserved a statue, the votes would have been overwhelmingly in favor.

Is he as good as Klopp? No. He is not a chancer either. He almost delivered us the holy grail and got us closer than any other manager before Klopp. No shame in that. The premier league would be a better league with more clubs like Leicester taking chances on managers like Rodgers.

Could have won the league had Rodgers agreed to the game being moved as Maureen would have played his reserves

Here's your question, are you kind of glad that Gerrard slipped as it paved the way for Klopp to take over? Had we won the league, Rodgers could have stayed on for another season or two which meant we could have missed out on Klopp.

Could have won the league had Rodgers agreed to the game being moved as Maureen would have played his reserves

Jesus Christ, what an embarrassing try hard. David Brent like.
I've always felt that he has a Napoleon complex.

Here's your question, are you kind of glad that Gerrard slipped as it paved the way for Klopp to take over? Had we won the league, Rodgers could have stayed on for another season or two which meant we could have missed out on Klopp.

Thought about this before. Definitely. Rodgers would still be here had he won the league then. It was a step back to go about ten forward.

Obviously the slip itself was cruel, but I'm happy we didn't win it then.

It been great though..

*faints*

He probably would'nt have got many votes anyway but why isn't Can on the list?

My vote goes to Coutinho

Sad to see Milner with more votes than Sturridge.

Benteke was the most daft signing Rodgers ever made.. I struggled with it.. that was his signing..

He basically brought in what he essentially wanted to get rid off when he became manager, as he didn't fit with his style of play..

Andy Carroll

I just struggled to understand it, with his previous stance on Andy Carroll

It was another panic signing. Rodgers' regime was coming apart at the seams and Benteke was about the only big name striker available.

There was a recent article in Athletic which insinuated that Balotelli was not 100% the transfer committee and Rodgers did push for the transfer. Rodgers transfers may not have been that great overall but if we had purchased the signings he had pushed for, we might have had Bertrand instead of Moreno and Dele Alli here at Liverpool.

It is difficult to evaluate how good Rodgers transfers are until we know - signings he pushed for and got, signings he pushed for and got overruled, signings transfer committee pushed for and got, and signings the transfer committee pushed for and did not get. We will never know that.

I think he left at the right moment but never understood why LFC fans have to take digs at him after all these years. Yes, his press conferences do grate a little but he has always been respectful towards us fans after he left. The football we played during the spring of our title challenge was the best I had seen from us in the premier league era until that time. 20 minutes into that Arsenal game, if someone had started a thread polling if Rodgers deserved a statue, the votes would have been overwhelmingly in favor.

Is he as good as Klopp? No. He is not a chancer either. He almost delivered us the holy grail and got us closer than any other manager before Klopp. No shame in that. The premier league would be a better league with more clubs like Leicester taking chances on managers like Rodgers.

More clubs should take a chances on chancers?

Logical! :D

Benteke was the most daft signing Rodgers ever made.. I struggled with it.. that was his signing..

He basically brought in what he essentially wanted to get rid off when he became manager, as he didn't fit with his style of play..

Andy Carroll

I just struggled to understand it, with his previous stance on Andy Carroll

Add balotelli to that too, or was he a committee signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom