• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poch sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mourinho.

The most un-Spursy manager since George Graham.

in fairness the next 4 or so we’re very positive or delighted with Mourinho, that caller was a weirdo

Of course the other crucial difference between us and Spurs is that we fired Benitez following a disappointing season after five years in which he managed to win a Champions League and a domestic cup, whereas Spurs fired Poch after five years in which he managed to lose a Champions League final and a domestic cup final.

I wonder if Mourinho is going to try a 'new' approach.

He's apparently been waxing lyrical to all & sundry about how close Pep & Klopp are to their players, & how Klopp's relationship with young players has benefitted us, & he's been speaking to his ex players & asking for the truth about what he was doing wrong, & is apparently keen to change that.

I suspect we may see, at least for a while, a bubbly, almost charming Mourinho who embraces players. I also suspect we may see him trying to replicate a style closer to that of his halcyon Chelsea days rather than the dour defensive style he has become known for.

As Farky says, hopefully he'll revert to type at some point.

Also worth noting how much emphasis Mourinho has been putting on the structures of ourselves & City as clubs being beneficial to long term success, that obv doesn't exist at spurs, but I'm not entirely convinced Levy won't want to try to lend at least some of those ideas from us (though of course not all, cos he likes overall control) & may see Mourinho as being able to help implement such a structural change, as its obviously something he's been studying.

He's apparently been waxing lyrical to all & sundry about how close Pep & Klopp are to their players, & how Klopp's relationship with young players has benefitted us, & he's been speaking to his ex players & asking for the truth about what he was doing wrong, & is apparently keen to change that.

I suspect we may see, at least for a while, a bubbly, almost charming Mourinho who embraces players. I also suspect we may see him trying to replicate a style closer to that of his halcyon Chelsea days rather than the dour defensive style he has become known for.

Also worth noting how much emphasis Mourinho has been putting on the structures of ourselves & City as clubs being beneficial to long term success, that obv doesn't exist at spurs, but I'm not entirely convinced Levy won't want to try to lend at least some of those ideas from us (though of course not all, cos he likes overall control) & may see Mourinho as being able to help implement such a structural change, as its obviously something he's been studying.

Yeah, there's no doubt he's going to try and get closer to "Mourinho v1.0" and perhaps a period of reflection will help; he knows what happened at United towards the end has damaged his reputation and legacy.

But the problem with how Mourinho operates is that his methods of winning always involve conflict and an enemy. At Porto it was the bigger, richer more famous clubs. Then he had the challenge of establishing Chelsea, with their arriviste riches vs the established English football royalty. And it was a glorious success.

However, if you can only function when you have a conflict, you can't "rule in peace". You have to seek out fights. And that's when it becomes damaging, because those fights are started closer to home. The media. The medical staff. The money-men and cheque-signers. Your own players. And that's when it all crumbles.

And as he's got older, and the power structures change, the fire fades a bit, the aura dims...well, it becomes easier to start those fights, because he knew at United that starting a fight against City or Liverpool is one he felt he couldn't win, and we all know how much he hates losing: someone has to take the blame, the fall, it can't ever be him or his fault.

So it will be interesting to see what, if anything, changes at Spurs.

It is easy to wear a charming smile when you have results, so if they don’t start winning football games it will go sour quite quickly. The players have been massive dissapointments this season and it is a huge task lifting them.

Good to hear that Spurs have gambled everything on an experiment, and that despite being the second highest paid coach in the world Maureen is thinking of himself as a trainee.

Maureen, when he took the manure job, claimed he would play attacking football in line with "the united way" and then served up 2.5 years of turgid shite. Leopards, spots & all that

It is easy to wear a charming smile when you have results, so if they don’t start winning football games it will go sour quite quickly. The players have been massive dissapointments this season and it is a huge task lifting them.

I don’t think it will be at all. Almost all new managers get a bounce when they take over.

Is that a myth or a fact? And what timespand are er looking at here?

I can’t remember the article details but I read one after Ole’s huge run after taking over Utd where someone did stats on team performance for the first 5-10 games after an appointment vs before and it showed that there is a high chance of a bounce whoever you bring in. Player motivation being the key factor.

I can’t remember the article details but I read one after Ole’s huge run after taking over Utd where someone did stats on team performance for the first 5-10 games after an appointment vs before and it showed that there is a high chance of a bounce whoever you bring in. Player motivation being the key factor.

Well they gave him a 4 year contract worth 60 M £, and you talk about a lift in result the next 5 games.

I think the whole effect of New manager last maybe 5 -10 games. By that time the New manager, combined with the club/squad etc stabilize. Clubs changing managers to avoid i.e. the drop very often drops anyway.. and if not this season then next.

Mourinho taking over the last year CL finalist on a til world salary (double Klopp!) to me says that he really should lift them into til 2-3 at least. This season. Why would you pay that money if it was for 5-10 games lift that every manager change give you anyway?

In his early days with Chelsea - I remember how strict he was with Joe Cole, I think the problem he faced at United was a case of too many of their players giving it large on Social Media more - so than their on field performances. If you say young is 24-26 then you can argue that he had good relations with payers of that age back then because Terry, Essien, and Roben were around that age in his first stint at Chelsea. I can certainly believe that he was much closer to his players than Rafa ever was with any of our players at the time - Rafa came across very 'cold'.

I think Real Madrid, and his second stint at Chelsea changed him, with the media coverage probably having some level of psychological impact in him. He hardly looked like himself throughout his time at United, all I remember is constant arguments in the press conferences.

If what you say about him contacting ex-players about what he was doing wrong - it could be true, if anything was a good student learner type:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...lona-profile-translator-special-one-tottenham

His bounce was 17 games to give him credit. It was what happened since that’s killed him

That some of the best paid players in the world stopped giving a shit about their club due to not luking Mourinho, then start performing like superstars almost to prove it was all Mourinhos fault before going bang average again when they found out Solskjær/Phelan combo is boring really shows that the problems with that shithouse club lies at the clubculture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom