• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Our biggest threat this season?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who will be our strongest rival in the EPL this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Injuries. The hope is that others suffer the way we have, like there's mention Harry Kane might have some muscle injury (not including the slack jaw). That would be a good start.

Trying to compete on every front. If ever there was a year to completely disrespect the FA & League Cups, this was it. PL first, CL second, nothing else.

Injuries first thought as soon as i saw thread title.
Crazy it's not there in the options.

Injuries first thought as soon as i saw thread title.
Crazy it's not there in the options.
Rurik should have asked "Who will be our strongest rival ... apart from Injuries and Covid" to avoid confusion.

Rurik should have asked "Who will be our strongest rival ... apart from Injuries and Covid" to avoid confusion.

ri·val
/ˈrīvəl/
noun
1. a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

Obviously COVID or injuries cannot be our rival, because neither one can be crowned EPL champion at the end of the season. Although it's kind of cool to imagine COVID lifting the trophy...

It's probably still City, but I think Spurs and Chelsea have a chance this year.

We won't win it, though, that's for sure.

It's probably still City, but I think Spurs and Chelsea have a chance this year.

We won't win it, though, that's for sure.
You're conspicuous by your absence on the Wolves pre match thread. I hope to God you are not thinking we could scrape a win ...

It's going to be very tight. Anyone of us, City, Spurs and Chelsea are capable of winning the League this season in my view. I know this is a long shot but I'm not even discounting United either. It's not the standard season is it. Any side who puts a good run together / gets some luck with injuries etc, can mount a serious challenge. 80-85ish points could win it.

For us, we just need to hang in there and hope our rotten luck with injuries is over. Hopefully get a decent CB in January. On paper, we've a very favourable run of fixtures in April & May so I'm hoping we're top or thereabouts by then because I'd fancy us strongly if we are.

It's going to be very tight. Anyone of us, City, Spurs and Chelsea are capable of winning the League this season in my view. I know this is a long shot but I'm not even discounting United either. It's not the standard season is it. Any side who puts a good run together / gets some luck with injuries etc, can mount a serious challenge. 80-85ish points could win it.

For us, we just need to hang in there and hope our rotten luck with injuries is over. Hopefully get a decent CB in January. On paper, we've a very favourable run of fixtures in April & May so I'm hoping we're top or thereabouts by then because I'd fancy us strongly if we are.
A quick look at the table and if games in hand are won etc. and we and Spurs draw then just 2 points could separate 8 teams. Insane. But also demonstrates why we have a great chance to win because if we get a few of the injured back (TAA, Milner, Keita, Becker, Thiago) and buy a new CB to add depth (Matip, Fabs, Phillips, Williams + new boy) in January, and maybe Gomez for the last couple of months of the season, then we can fulfill the Neville claim of "easily best team in the league" and go on to win it again. The CL is wide open this season too.

BTW to demonstrate the insanity of our injury list (11, inc. Hendo and Robbo who have slight issues but should be back - 75% - for Wolves, however that's 3 more than any other team) : Chelsea have just a single player out (Ziyech) as do City (Aguero). Happily the injuries are starting to mount for United (5) and Spurs (6).

Chelsea's next 5 league matches after today's defeat to Wolves:
West Ham (H)
Arsenal (A)
Aston Villa (H)
Man City (A)
Leicester (A)

Those stats point to a season where alow points total will win it. That doesnt mean a Leicester scenario, it could juat as easily be us or City that wins with a low points total, however the lower it drops the greater the potential for an outsider like Spurs, Leicester etc to nick it.

The other thing those number indicate is that there isnt a standout team in the league so far this season and anybody who can put together a solid run of wins could distance themselves from the chasing pack. In another season we would be looking at a 9 point gap to City based on how weve played so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom