• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Other games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well apparently a team overcoming an 8 PT gap around Christmas time is only possible via 'unprecedented Liverpool meltdown' I can't be the only person here that remembers the lead we had over man city last season.

So erm, eh - are you describing the notion of dropping an 8 point lead at Christmas time unprecedented and not a meltdown , given we did exactly that and then some last season ?

This is unfair. We did not have a meltdown. Learn the definition of what a meltdown is. When the pressure was on last year, our boys stepped up, in the main. Put together a brilliant run when it was "squeaky bum time". City, just put together an unprecedented slightly better run.

We simply won most of our points at the start and end of the season. We drew 4 games and lost 1 game to City in the middle of the season. That's natural. Not a meltdown.

We have never won so many points in a single season. Ever. Our best ever points tally.

If I told you we would get 97pts this season again, but I didn't tell you what anyone else would get, you would bite my hand off.

Liverpool could conceivably get 99pts from here, go unbeaten. And still lose the league to City on goal difference. Would that be considered a meltdown? No.

Although if we get to the final game in May, and we play Newcastle away needing to win the title, and we draw? Is that a meltdown?

No. Not if they get 2 dodgy penalties and we have VVD slip as he tries to turn on the ball. That would be very unlucky. Cursed almost.

However, if you want a meltdown.. Then, let's say in that final game, we are 3 goals up and cruising to the title, and then we concede 3 times in the last 5 mins. Then yeah, THAT would be the unprecedented meltdown that you talk about.

This is unfair. We did not have a meltdown. Learn the definition of what a meltdown is. When the pressure was on last year, our boys stepped up, in the main. Put together a brilliant run when it was "squeaky bum time". City, just put together an unprecedented slightly better run.

We simply won most of our points at the start and end of the season. We drew 4 games and lost 1 game to City in the middle of the season. That's natural. Not a meltdown.

We have never won so many points in a single season. Ever. Our best ever points tally.

If I told you we would get 97pts this season again, but I didn't tell you what anyone else would get, you would bite my hand off.

Liverpool could conceivably get 99pts from here, go unbeaten. And still lose the league to City on goal difference. Would that be considered a meltdown? No.

Although if we get to the final game in May, and we play Newcastle away needing to win the title, and we draw? Is that a meltdown?

No. Not if they get 2 dodgy penalties and we have VVD slip as he tries to turn on the ball. That would be very unlucky. Cursed almost.

However, if you want a meltdown.. Then, let's say in that final game, we are 3 goals up and cruising to the title, and then we concede 3 times in the last 5 mins. Then yeah, THAT would be the unprecedented meltdown that you talk about.
Read the conversation ..

It was frogfish bringing up the suggestion that overhauling 8 pts In The league with 22 games to go or whatever it is is only possible with suffering an 'unprecedented meltdown' I simply drew a parallel of that exact scenario plus a few points on top literally occured at this point last season! It wouldn't be unprecedented given a 7pt overhaul last season (Vs 8pt lead this season)

My point is still , it's utterly bizarre and borderline retarded to write off a team currently in second place , with a higher gd and ONLY 8 points behind us from winning the title , given events of recent seasons and more specifically last season a similar overhaul occured !

Last edited:
Read the conversation ..

It was frogfish bringing up the suggestion that overhauling 8 pts I. The league with 22 games to go or whatever it is is only possible with suffering a 'meltdown' I simply drew a parallel of that exact scenario plus a few points on top literally occured at this point last season!

My point is still , it's utterly bizarre and borderline retarded to write off a team currently in second place , with a higher gd and ONLY 8 points behind us from winning the title , given events of recent seasons and more specifically last season a similar overhaul occured !

It was 7 points, and it was just going into a direct game against City, which reduced it to 4 points. So efficiently we lost a 4 point lead there.

It was 7 points, and it was just going into a direct game against City, which reduced it to 4 points. So efficiently we lost a 4 point lead there.

What ? Sooooo basically your saying 7 PTS wasn't enough but now we have 8 it'll be absolutely fine ?

Another look at my favourite format of the league table :

[xtable=281x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=40x@}40{/td}
{td=241x@}Liverpool{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}39{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}38{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}37{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}36{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}35{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}34{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}33{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}32{/td}
{td}Leicester{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}31{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}30{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}29{/td}
{td}Man City{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}28{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}27{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}26{/td}
{td}Chelsea{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}25{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}24{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}23{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}22{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}21{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}20{/td}
{td}Spurs, Wolves{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}19{/td}
{td}Sheff Utd, Arsenal,{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}18{/td}
{td}Man Utd, Burnley, Crystal Palace{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}17{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}16{/td}
{td}Bournemouth, West Ham, Newcastle{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}15{/td}
{td}Aston Villa, Brighton{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}14{/td}
{td}Everton{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}13{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}12{/td}
{td}Sourhampton{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}11{/td}
{td}Norwich{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}10{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}9{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}8{/td}
{td}Watford{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Another look at my favourite format of the league table :

[xtable=skin1|281x@]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=40x@}40{/td}
{td=241x@}Liverpool{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}39{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}38{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}37{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}36{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}35{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}34{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}33{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}32{/td}
{td}Leicester{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}31{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}30{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}29{/td}
{td}Man City{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}28{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}27{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}26{/td}
{td}Chelsea{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}25{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}24{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}23{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}22{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}21{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}20{/td}
{td}Spurs, Wolves{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}19{/td}
{td}Sheff Utd, Arsenal,{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}18{/td}
{td}Man Utd, Burnley, Crystal Palace{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}17{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}16{/td}
{td}Bournemouth, West Ham, Newcastle{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}15{/td}
{td}Aston Villa, Brighton{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}14{/td}
{td}Everton{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}13{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}12{/td}
{td}Sourhampton{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}11{/td}
{td}Norwich{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}10{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}9{/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}8{/td}
{td}Watford{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

What is the grudge towards the saints mate?

What was your point?

My point was exactly what I said. The gap between us and City last year were 7 points when we met them, and they winning that game reduced the gap to 4 points. So the major meltdown people, incl you, are on about is not necessarily a major meltdown, but rather things that can happen in a tough league like PL.

So I did not say anything that we never can lose a 8 point gap to Leicester. I don't think we will, as we have been pretty fucking strong for a long period of time. We have got into a habit of grinding out 3 points at every opportunity (yeah I do remember we didnt do it against Man U) which show we have a strong mentality in addition to a good squad. However, what I think is irrellevant. Other people can feel free to think otherwise.

If you're confident Leicester have got a decent chance at the title back them at 20/1. I backed them and Chelsea last week, both at 50s. A week later Chelsea are 175/1 and Leicester are 20. Neither of them will win the league. As Brendan has pointed out, Vardy has already used up three quarters of his goals

If you're confident Leicester have got a decent chance at the title back them at 20/1. I backed them and Chelsea last week, both at 50s. A week later Chelsea are 175/1 and Leicester are 20. Neither of them will win the league. As Brendan has pointed out, Vardy has already used up three quarters of his goals

Hahahahahaha!

This is the difference between data and insight, right there.

I wish people would stop saying that. Everton have two cup finals a year, the first one is on Wednesday.

Whilst they almost certainly won't win at Anfield, cos they don't remember how (half their fans weren't even alive the last time they did so!), they could really trouble us playing that same shape they did today, with great effect, against a side whose forwards are in better form than ours currently are.

I think there was a surprise element to that shape and formation. Leicester adjusted 2nd half and got their goals.

I think Jurgen and the boys will be ready for that shape.

Keane and Holgate will be isolated into 1 v 1 duels out wide behind their wing backs, against Mane and Salah.

Bobby dropping in will create a 4 vs 2 in the middle of the pitch, meaning their midfield 4 will narrow.

Our FBs will engage their wing backs.

So effectively this game will come down to whether DCL can hold the ball up against Lovren and VVD, and wait for Richarlson/Iwobi to join.

And whether Sadio/Mo can isolate their wide CBs and go past them.

And whilst I take your point regarding their cup final, I can't help but feel we'll be very motivated too, especially after they took so much joy out of taking points off us last year. Our boys will be super motivated too.

Their shape yesterday was cut to shreds in the second half , time and time again a simple forward pass cut their midfield altogether out , Vardy and Iheanacho continually pealled wide and they couldn't track either of them.

They will obviously employ the same back 5 with the three of mina , holgate and Keane playing centrally as it stifled Leicester in the first half , very effectively

Agree width ,like yesterday could be the difference maker , we have that in abundance with Salah/taa and mane/robbo

It's exactly the sort of game I think we need a shaqiri/coutinho 10 on the pitch , it's the only thing this squad is missing and I think it could've made lighter work of so many matches this season

I guess ox could play into that space but otherwise we're lacking

I think there was a surprise element to that shape and formation. Leicester adjusted 2nd half and got their goals.

I think Jurgen and the boys will be ready for that shape.

Keane and Holgate will be isolated into 1 v 1 duels out wide behind their wing backs, against Mane and Salah.

Bobby dropping in will create a 4 vs 2 in the middle of the pitch, meaning their midfield 4 will narrow.

Our FBs will engage their wing backs.

So effectively this game will come down to whether DCL can hold the ball up against Lovren and VVD, and wait for Richarlson/Iwobi to join.

And whether Sadio/Mo can isolate their wide CBs and go past them.

And whilst I take your point regarding their cup final, I can't help but feel we'll be very motivated too, especially after they took so much joy out of taking points off us last year. Our boys will be super motivated too.

Given how Everton's 5-man defense struggled once Rodgers switched to 2 up front, I wonder if Klopp would consider something like a 4-4-2?

Last edited:
Well apparently a team overcoming an 8 PT gap around Christmas time is only possible via 'unprecedented Liverpool meltdown' I can't be the only person here that remembers the lead we had over man city last season.

So erm, eh - are you describing the notion of dropping an 8 point lead at Christmas time unprecedented and not a meltdown , given we did exactly that and then some last season ?
Christ you dumb fuck. Try 'context'. I clearly stated 'Liverpool meltdown' and 'Leicester Run'.... and you still continue to misquote. And we had a meltdown? Like fuck.

Last edited:
No - that debate never dies, it just goes dormant for a few months only to be reopened at an opportune time.

Now - can we have some strict guidelines for the scoring system in ratings discussions?

It should be like Tennis. Just throw some random points that eventually rake up the score

The obsession with some magical final points tally is so dumb.

You don't know that Leicester need to get 95 points to win, just because both City and ourselves did last season.

There are plausible scenarios where Leicester win, and almost all of them would include us not reaching that total. Most people who are worried about us not winning the title presumably think that we will start to drop more points. I feel dumb even writing that.

It wouldn't even require a melt down. We are a third of the way into the season. We could drop a couple points, which would be fucking normal, and the whole narrative would change.

Just a few games into the season every dumb cunt was talking about a two horse race.

Considering the fact we’ve lost once in 50 odd games makes it unlikely we will drop that many points barring a heap of injuries.

Of course people spoke about a two horse race. The gap between 2nd and 3rd last year was insane and both teams raised the bar to an incredible level.

It’s not dumb at all. We could lose two in the next 5 and we’d stall be on track for over 95 pts.

Based on our own standards it would be a huge slip to not hit last years mark already but even then Leicester are never getting near that. They won’t even hit 90

1 defeat and 4 draws you say? Hmmm 11 pts. We just need a little bit more of a buffer so and to repeat last season finish and we are home and hosed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom