• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Operation 20 become 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read it as the big 6, which is us, scum, fumers, arseholes, rent boys and spuds. Add blue shite, wham and Southampton.

I read it as the big 6, which is us, scum, fumers, arseholes, rent boys and spuds. Add blue shite, wham and Southampton.
On the BBC website (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54499998)

[article]It is understood Liverpool's owners, the Fenway Sports Group, came forward with the initial plan, which has been worked on by United co-chairman Joel Glazer. It is anticipated it will receive the backing of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur - the other members of England's 'big six'.
:
:
It is also planned that, as well as the 'big six', ever-present league member Everton, West Ham United and Southampton - ninth and 11th respectively in the list of clubs who have featured in the most Premier League seasons - would be granted special status.
If six of those nine clubs vote in favour of a proposal, it would be enough to get it passed.
[/article]

I think that implies City, as part of the "big six", are in the security council

TBH - we love to laugh at the fume, but a lot of their objections on this plan are very valid

And yet everyone agrees the PL needs a revamp. Even if this doesn't happen as promoted it has at least stimulated a real conversation. I'd rather the power be with the clubs than the PL but I can only see that happening when clubs own more of their own broadcasting & marketing rights.

Id agree if the power was with the clubs, all of them not just a permanent hierarchy at the top acting out of self interest. FSG have badly misjudged the mood of the fans before and been forced into an embarassing climbdown, I suspect they have again.

Removing the league cup and 4 league fixtures is just a ploy to get more European games in to the calendar. Which is ironic as we moan about too many games and bin off the league cup anyway. Having meaningful European games would be worse for the squad.

No problem with reducing PL to 18 clubs (but not at the cost of two clubs getting kicked out of the rest of the league)
No problem with abolishing Charity Shield & League Cup
No problem with payments to the football league

But the creation of an elite group that have a UN Security Council style veto over everything is obviously shit

Restructure the whole league, without a despotic power grab

Don't be blind sheep. Next step is creating a closed league. No relegation and promotion to the newly formed MLF( Major league football) will be decided by popularity and revenue.
It's going in the American franchise direction.
Anfield will be the "The KFC stadium".
Liverpool will have a franchise in the MLS, The Boston Liverpool Reds.

Removing the league cup and 4 league fixtures is just a ploy to get more European games in to the calendar. Which is ironic as we moan about too many games and bin off the league cup anyway. Having meaningful European games would be worse for the squad.

I think Rosco is right, they see this as a first step towards shifting the balance to European fixtures and maybe eventually a super league.

They've already announced plans to expand the CL I think, although I can't remember the specifics.

I'm a bit surprised most on here are siding with the Premier League.

The main change being proposed is to reverse what happened when the Premier League was created and re-establish the link to the lower leagues. Long overdue in my opinion.

I'd agree with the City fan above : reduce it to a cup event for clubs not competing in Europe (though they can enter U23 teams with maybe 3 seniors).

I agree with that "IF" it gives those team a qualifying place for The Europa League

I agree with that "IF" it gives those team a qualifying place for The Europa League
Why ? So they can get knocked out in the qualifying rounds after spending a fortune (for them) traveling around Europe? There are a number of crappy cups for lower league teams that don't give an EL place. No need for the LC to either.

Maybe not often, but there is the chance
Not often?? once in 40 years, and that at a time when the Charity Shield would not have been a particularly significant pay day (as you stated as justification for retaining it).
In fact I believe a non top tier team has won the FA cup a total of 8 times in its history, and you can change "once in 40 years" above to "never in 39 years" .. or even "never in the PL era", if you prefer

Why ? So they can get knocked out in the qualifying rounds after spending a fortune (for them) traveling around Europe? There are a number of crappy cups for lower league teams that don't give an EL place. No need for the LC to either.

Who said that they will...?
And who said that they will be the one's doing the travelling,and even if they do, the money they make will cover the cost

Not often?? once in 40 years, and that at a time when the Charity Shield would not have been a particularly significant pay day (as you stated as justification for retaining it).
In fact I believe a non top tier team has won the FA cup a total of 8 times in its history, and you can change "once in 40 years" above to "never in 39 years" .. or even "never in the PL era", if you prefer

Ok... Then maybe the League Cup format should be tweaked, and no team playing in Europe that season should play in the League Cup and every club shold play from the first round.
It would give the lower league team a chance of making good money

What the actual fuck?

The project has been rejected by all 20 clubs.

So drawn up by Liverpool, Man Utd endorsed by the remaining big 6..

Rejected by all 20?

How can you reject your own plan?

Fan pressure? I saw that Spirit of Shankly were against the plans so that may have influenced our thoughts? Failing that, the clubs all communicated and agreed to go back to the drawing board.

And who said that they will be the one's doing the travelling,and even if they do, the money they make will cover the cost
It doesn't. It's a big beef with clubs in the qualifying competition when they are playing fellow minnows (often in distant lands) and TV don't want to cover their games (95% of the time). As well of course as trips costing a huge amount for small clubs (transport, food, hotels etc. for 25+ people).

What the actual fuck?

The project has been rejected by all 20 clubs.

So drawn up by Liverpool, Man Utd endorsed by the remaining big 6..

Rejected by all 20?

How can you reject your own plan?
I think because, as I mentioned above, it was more about getting the conversation going than expecting that draft to go through. And it seems to have exercised the powers that be because the EFL rescue package has now gone through.

Et voila :

EDIT : “Further, Premier League shareholders agreed to work together as a 20-club collective on a strategic plan for the future structures and financing of English football, consulting with all stakeholders to ensure a vibrant, competitive and sustainable football pyramid.”

Last edited:
I think because, as I mentioned above, it was more about getting the conversation going than expecting that draft to go through. And it seems to have exercised the powers that be because the EFL rescue package has now gone through.

Et voila :

EDIT : “Further, Premier League shareholders agreed to work together as a 20-club collective on a strategic plan for the future structures and financing of English football, consulting with all stakeholders to ensure a vibrant, competitive and sustainable football pyramid.”
I don't think there's much point in voting for something that won't pass and risk causing further antagonism. Best to come back another day and in the meantime tweak the plan and work on a few opponents so you eventually get the numbers to get it through.

With this, the furlough, tickets and more, liverpool is like me working on my wife years back.

"Hey, wouldn't it be hilarious if we had a three-way?"

*blank stare*

"Remember when your friend Michelle got drunk and said if she was going to have a three way it would be with us... You know, she tried to hook up with me in college."

*beginning to glare at me*

"Hahaha, that's hilarious, wasn't that weird?"

*evil eye*

"I mean, I'd never want to do it of course not. I REJECT the proposal out of hand, I don't even know why you brought it up!"

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Shame my first post is about money in the game but better than talking 7-2!

Im with the vast majority here. Dont weaken the PL size, ditch the league cup, fund the pyramid, equal voting, dont mess up relegation etc.

So why not ask the fans first? We're ultimately paying for it all, not some lofty foreign owners.

One thing Id add is I dont want loads more european games, the extra couple in the pipeline is plenty. Otherwise itll become a stepping stone that teams will gamble even more to get into, just like the PL is for championship clubs.

Previously had respect for FSG for keeping quiet, being sensible. This isnt quiet, just looks like a power grab and with the Glazers! Reform is needed quickly but this feels more like extortion by LFC.

Hi everyone. Shame my first post is about money in the game but better than talking 7-2!

Im with the vast majority here. Dont weaken the PL size, ditch the league cup, fund the pyramid, equal voting, dont mess up relegation etc.

So why not ask the fans first? We're ultimately paying for it all, not some lofty foreign owners.

One thing Id add is I dont want loads more european games, the extra couple in the pipeline is plenty. Otherwise itll become a stepping stone that teams will gamble even more to get into, just like the PL is for championship clubs.

Previously had respect for FSG for keeping quiet, being sensible. This isnt quiet, just looks like a power grab and with the Glazers! Reform is needed quickly but this feels more like extortion by LFC.

Definitely ditch the league cup, though.

Who said? Certainly not the people who said we should keep the Charity Shield as its a potential money spinner for non top tier clubs ... who would NEVER qualify for it :)

It doesn't. It's a big beef with clubs in the qualifying competition when they are playing fellow minnows (often in distant lands) and TV don't want to cover their games (95% of the time). As well of course as trips costing a huge amount for small clubs (transport, food, hotels etc. for 25+ people).
Did not know that... Thank you

Hi Cieric, welcome to the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom