• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Oh Jota night

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really, really, really like him. I think he's got a poachers instinct far more than anyone else in the squad. He loves getting into that 5 yard box, which is so refreshing given Firmino is basically allergic to do so. When he signed that Trent and Robertson will actually love picking this guy out and that's already starting to be evident in the goal yesterday. It sounds stupid to say, but they should honestly be getting more assists than than they do. The lack of presence/poacher in the box hinders them at times. Jota does everything very well, but I think that's one thing he offers that nobody else does, and why Klopp was keen to start with all four of our best attackers so soon into his signing.

He's also a clearly highly competitive. He was getting seriously pissed off at Minaminos inability to link play or taking too many touches last night. You can say it's a negative throwing your arms up, being pissed off, etc, but it also smacks of someone with extremely high-standards and a desire to win.

One thing Jota couldn't do though was link the play together himself once Minamino went off and he was tasked with playing the Firmino role for about 20 minutes. It's evident that he's not a selfless runner/playmaker type, he is a capable replacement for Mo/Sadio and that's already plenty – but how do you get all 3 of them on the pitch linking up? So far I don't see the solution; the 4-2-3-1 with Firmino at #10 had some promising moments towards the end of the Sheffield game, but still not quite convincing enough to think that should be the long-term option.

I think it was @Mystic who said that I am a big advocate of Firmino at #10? Don't really think that I am, in the defensive phase #10 is next to useless, however in the attacking phase you can have lots of "#10's" or between-the-lines playmakers and the more the better – this is where Guiardiola's City are so good at their best, as most of their attacking players practically live between the lines. I remember I was advocating the "double #10" attacking system at some point (I think when Shaqiri would drift into the hole from the flank and Firmino from his position up front), but don't quite know how to make this work with players we currently have. Hopefully Klopp does.

Last edited:
He's in form and he's confident (although so are Sadio & Mo) - ideally we will get all three on the pitch as much as possible. Given West Ham's performances against Leicester, Spurs & City this would be a statement win going into the international break.

He's quick on the ball , deceptively so in my opinion and makes better runs than just all of our options Salah and mane aside and hes most definitely up there in terms of being clinical , he looks ready made to be our next big hit imo and early signs are providing a 'get out of jail free' in the instance we lose one of our front three next summer or beyond.

His form and ability could easily lead to a shift in our playing style and put firminos position in danger imo, the "he joins the dotted lines" argument only goes far when the personal and team form is so so and a forward on the bench is in great form and ready made for our front three

He finds himself close to goal & between the sticks a lot.

That positioning (to use a cliché) isn't something you can teach, it's pure instinct.

He means we can rest Mane & Salah a bit more often without a huge drop-off, & it's not much of a stretch to see him improving massively the more he plays & trains.

Based on form he's first name on the team sheet for me

The fact he's not even starting is so confusing

Based on form he's first name on the team sheet for me

The fact he's not even starting is so confusing

I dont see how Klopp keeps him out of the team any longer. It would be one thing if Firmino was playing superb football and you couldnt justify dropping him but lets be realistic Jota has done more in 3 weeks than Firmino has all year.

Brewster + Hoever = Jota

True also its almost as if Edwards and Klopp disable the secret Bourne Identity training in players when we sell them for amazingly high prices.

I think it was last week where Bournemouts Solanke was up against Cardiffs Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo in the championship, I have confidence that we can bank on Edwards getting at least 10-15 m for Wilson from someone, in this climate that's not too bad.

Jota and Firmino fill different roles in the team. It is pretty obvious to me.
With his playing style, he is more a replacement for Mane.

We also seem to be balancing between the CL and league games. So Jota will definetly start against Atalanta. As will Shaqiri I think, and Milner.

I dont see how Klopp keeps him out of the team any longer. It would be one thing if Firmino was playing superb football and you couldnt justify dropping him but lets be realistic Jota has done more in 3 weeks than Firmino has all year.

Harsh but I think close to truth.

Purely in terms of goals, that might be the case. But he was an ever present part of a front three that won the league for the first time in 3 decades. I think it’s absolute bollocks to be saying that.

Bobby has not been for a _while_ now ...
I'm only comparing him to the Bobby we all watched, and compared to that Bobby, he's off the pace big time.

I must confess I had little awareness of Jota's ability before we signed him. I saw him against us but was too wrapped up in what we were doing to take a huge interest in him, so he's been a fantastic surprise. What I especially like is he seems really smart - when we play Origi, for example, you don't feel like you've brought another footballing brain on the pitch, but this guy gives us new ideas, more craft, and craftiness, and that's a great addition.

I must confess I had little awareness of Jota's ability before we signed him. I saw him against us but was too wrapped up in what we were doing to take a huge interest in him, so he's been a fantastic surprise. What I especially like is he seems really smart - when we play Origi, for example, you don't feel like you've brought another footballing brain on the pitch, but this guy gives us new ideas, more craft, and craftiness, and that's a great addition.

Quite. And he works hard, which is something that goes against Origi, he tends to shirk the tracking back and getting stuck in, which is criminal really given the size of him and how well he has previously used his size to hold up the ball or simply combine strength and pace to be almost unplayable. It's all a bit Heskey-like really. So much raw ability and physicality but something is missing.

Yeh have to admit I baulked at the price to start with, but he looks like an amazing signing.

[article]
On Jota, who scored the winning goal, Souness added: “He’s a cute player, he’s rapid and he’s got an eye for a goal.

“The beauty of where Liverpool are right now, when you’re on top of the pile, you can bring players in and they don’t have to go straight into the team and be a major influence on day one.

“Man United are in that position where everyone who comes in has to be an influence. They can sit back, let the player have a good look at it and introduce them slowly.

“I would imagine, pretty quickly, he’ll be challenging Firmino for a starting spot. Why not? He’s got goals, a goal every three games near enough at Wolves and he’s in a better team now, so he’ll only improve now. I like him a lot. What is he, 23? He’ll only get better.”

Fellow pundit Jamie Carragher also hailed Jota, he said: “Yeah, of course. What I meant in terms of ‘raised eyebrows’ (when he signed) is the fee.

“It’s a good price tag for someone that you know when they come in, he’s probably supplementing the front three, rather than going straight into the team.

“I was always impressed with him when he was at Wolves, when I saw £45m – I thought it was a sizable fee.

“But it looks like he’s already repaying that fee in terms of goals. There’s no doubt he’s a huge upgrade in terms of what Liverpool had last season, and the fact that we’re sat here talking now about Liverpool’s front three, and the fact that someone could come in and break it up, it shows it’s a major addition.

“We never saw that last season, we never had that conversation before.”
[/article]

[article]
Souness added: “He’s a cute player,
[/article]
IMG_20201101_152037.jpg

Surely this spells then end of one of Shaq/Origi?

He's a very good player. And at 23, this is a similar to age to when we signed Mane.

He's not terrifyingly fast like Sarr, but just a better, more productive player. You'd also say he's still quick, like Andy Robertson type quick. Very sharp over 20m.

He's 2 footed (like Mane), and make goals and assists. How many has Sarr got in his career?

My big problem with Sarr is that he appears to be a kick and run merchant, and has shown little ability on the ball. Apart from one good game against us, I was never really struck by his ability. He's very, very, raw still.

A player like Jota is a more accomplished footballer and can play CF (similar profile to Salah/Mane); so I think he'd suit our style better.

Looking back at this thread, feeling pretty smug right now.

Early days, but what a start. His quality is there for all to see. Ismail who?

Post up Sarr's numbers if you have it.

I'm guessing he's a 1 in 5 player?

If we sign Jota, it makes perfect sense on so many levels. Michael Edwards and the committee are genuinely killing it.

1) He's not an out and out winger like Sarr, so we're not changing our style.
2) He predominantly plays on the left, meaning we have the option of him covering Mane, or Salah (moving Mane to the right again).
3) Can play CF
4) He scores goals and has a good assist record
5) The right age (before he explodes)
6) Two footed
7) Technical pacey player who knows how to strike a ball from all ranges
8) Speaks very good english unlike Sarr
9) Mature player
10) Used to being rotated in Nuno's set up
11) Can genuinely come in now and challenge the front three.
12) No Afcon worries

A signing that made so much sense on so many levels. Credit to Edwards like I said.

Bobby should be on the bench until he regains his passion for the game. He's looking really slow and sluggish these days. Both mentally and physically.

Mo and Sadio look different beasts this year. Especially Mo, who seems half a yard quicker again (I think his ankle niggles are gone).

Diogo should be starting games going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom