• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Nike Sources part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should just get Nike to agree to pay us an additional 5m for every month that distribution falls below 6,000 door and an additional £100 every time a fan complains that the kit is sold out. See NB match that.

Apparently our GK jersey sales is the 11th most popular jersey in the UK ahead of the likes of WHU, NUFC, and the Bitters.

Apparently our GK jersey sales is the 11th most popular jersey in the UK ahead of the likes of WHU, NUFC, and the Bitters.

What aspiring goalkeeper kid wouldn’t want the jersey of the best keeper in the world?

We should just get Nike to agree to pay us an additional 5m for every month that distribution falls below 6,000 door and an additional £100 every time a fan complains that the kit is sold out. See NB match that.

Brilliant. Force them to back down from an offer they cant possibly match. I like it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-13-million-year-double-Manchester-Citys.html
I read that we're on course to sell 2.9million shirts. Considering our average shirt sales over 5 year is just over 1million, any company would struggle to hit the figure of 3 million shirts
Liverpool shirt sales increase to 1.13m a year... over DOUBLE the number of jerseys sold by Manchester City

• Liverpool are the fifth biggest shirt-sellers in world football
  • Man City have sold average of 492,000 shirts per season over the last five years
  • Man United top the list with 1.85m jerseys sold on average per season
European champions Liverpool have already beaten league champions Manchester City before Sunday's FA Community Shield kicks off — by selling more than double the number of replica shirts.
Liverpool’s shirt sales have increased under owners Fenway Sports Group to an average of 1.13million a year over the last five years.
They have risen from seventh to fifth biggest shirt-sellers in recent years, following a rise in fortunes that has reach them make back-to-back Champions League finals.

The figures will strengthen the club’s hand in negotiations for a new kit deal. Liverpool’s £45m-a-year deal with New Balance ends at the end of the season and the club are understood to be looking for a rise to £75m a year from next season.
Manchester City sold an average of 492,000 shirts per season from 2014/15 to 2018/19 — the 10th-most popular club shirt.
However, despite mixed fortunes on the pitch, Manchester United are still the biggest club in the world in terms of shirt sales. They sold an average of 1.85m shirts a season over the last five seasons, keeping them ahead of Real Madrid.
Arsenal (sixth) and Chelsea (eighth) were also in the top 10. Both sell around 800,000 shirts per season.

BREAKING: New Balance claim dismissed, Liverpool win the case

Judge Teare is in court.
He says: “For the reasons given in the judgement handed down the claim from New Balance is dismissed.”
Daniel Oudkerk, QC, representing New Balance, rises and says they need to discuss the question of appeal.
The appeal must have a “real prospect of success” to be allowed.

New balance claim has been thrown out of court

They're going to attempt to take to appeal - can't see them winning ,given misrepresentation of figures to Hogan and co over past 6 months on top of obvious inability to compete and match Nike , who's deal being based off performance of sales means NB will never be able to match

Interestingly Hogan claimed a clause whereby Nike can drop royalty rates should we drop out of champions League was not originally included originally / he was never briefed / read contract in entirety

New Balance permission to appeal dismissed

Judge Teare: “I am not persuaded there is a real prospect of success.”

LeBron has won it! (Kind of...)

As we suggested earlier in the week, the clause involving superstar athletes and influences LeBron James, Serena Williams and Drake gained in importance and in fact seems to have won the day.
In his written judgement, which I am skimming through now, Mr Justice Teare says: “In my judgement the calibre of the named athletes or influences can be measured.
“Mr Chris Davis (New Balance vice president) said the exercise of measurement was “very subjective.”
“I am not sure what he meant by that because a calculation based upon social media exposure is based on appearances which can be counted. It may be that different people have different views as to the most relevant way in which such appearances can be valued by some of those methods used (for example ‘max add value’ or share of voice value) will have a repeatable methodology.
“I accept that the calbre of the named athletes can be measured in a number of ways but it would be unrealistic (and contrary to the evidence in this case) that their calbre can not be measured.
“I have therefore concluded that the New Balance offer on marketing was less favourable to Liverpool FC than the Nike offer because Liverpool FC canot require New Balance, on the terms of its offer, to use global superstar athletes “of the calbire of LeBron James, Serena Williams and Drake”
“It must follow that Liverpool FC is not obliged to enter into a new agreement with New Balance upon the terms of the latter’s offer.”

Distribution was not the key issue after all

Mr Oudkerk is suggesting the judgement was wrong because the marketing clause was too vague to me matched.
He is suggesting that Liverpool have won the case on the “vague” part of the offer, rather than the distribution part, which had clearly quantifiable metrics.
“Even the club didn’t think this was the key point that would decide the case.”

"Good faith" over doors but LeBron James wins out

In his judgement, Mr Justice Teare said New Balance had acted in “good faith” when saying it could match the Nike offer.
He writes that New Balance’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT) had not acted “recklessly” when calculating the number of doors it could offer.
Essentially, if Nike had not offered LeBron James, Serena Williams and Drake - it seems New Balance may have won the case.

I'm sure there's a generation of whoppers would grab a shirt if they saw drake wearing one , sad and mad but true.

I guess it's a sign of the times when current kits are attempted to be marketed as lifestyle/fashion goods

Can't imagine serena Williams having much /any pull

I dont really care if a fan somewhere in the World buys a kit cause of Serena Williams, that has nothing to do with me and each to their own.
But I do care about the financial state of our club and how we can set up for success in the future.

Agreeing a deal with Nike is one of those key aspects that can secure our short and long term future, as it gives us the chance to further invest in the squad and secure the top players that we already have - which in the end is what we all want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom