• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Nat Baresi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd still say he is good enough to be one of our four centre backs.

Noone is saying that he would be first choice but he has proven himself to be reliable back up, and that is all you really need.

He has had good game but probably most of it was upto him playing alongside Kabak. But I see why Klopp did not trust him so much when Hendo was available. On one or two occasions, it was so easy for SU players to go past him. That does not look good when you are playing for EPL champion. But apart from that Klopp needs to trust him more and give him that chance to develop.

When VanDjik is back, I would say give Nat enough starts alongside so that he can develop because Gomez is simply not reliable in terms of injuries.

You do know that Nat's out of a contract in the summer?
He'd be a fucking idiot if he stayed and I don't even think LFC has offered him an extension.

He has had good game but probably most of it was upto him playing alongside Kabak. But I see why Klopp did not trust him so much when Hendo was available. On one or two occasions, it was so easy for SU players to go past him. That does not look good when you are playing for EPL champion. But apart from that Klopp needs to trust him more and give him that chance to develop.

When VanDjik is back, I would say give Nat enough starts alongside so that he can develop because Gomez is simply not reliable in terms of injuries.

A world where Nat partners VVD means that all of these players would be injured, which sounds horribe - Gomez, Matip, Kabak, Fabinho.

He is a good stop gap but if we try and keep him we are really lowering our bar - no matter now nice he is and how much he commits on the pitch.

I think we can continue to improve him.

All the top sides with dynasties had these kinda players - your Nacho Torres for Madrid, oShea and Brown for Utd, Badstuber for Bayern (city is an anomaly), and they can help us a lot

I don't know what game some people on here have watched - but the lad has hardly put a foot wrong when he has played, and also there have not been that many instances where his pace has been actually called into action. Unlike Kabak - who I keep seeing with an expression like "Oh shit did not realize that dood was next to me - oh shit before stop him before he scores" - I think Nat reads the game very well and is aware of the movement around him. Besides - we built a defense around Sami once upon a time who had similar limited pace and mobility. I also actually prefer Nat to be in defense than Henderson when he was fit and covering that area.

Some of you lot baffle me... Have you been watching him this season?!? He's done everything asked of him, and then some.

Yes, he's our 4th, maybe even 5th choice CB, and thus, not of an elite standard. Quickly... Name me city's 4th choice CB? Or salford's? And what how close to ousting the starters are those household names.

When we get down as low as any team's 4th or 5th choice, how many are 'good enough'? You know who else wasn't good enough, but now, as usual, because he's not here anymore, he's become Bobby f@#$ing Moore..? Dejan Lovren. And I'd have this lad over him as 4th choice any day.

Some of you lot baffle me... Have you been watching him this season?!? He's done everything asked of him, and then some.

Yes, he's our 4th, maybe even 5th choice CB, and thus, not of an elite standard. Quickly... Name me city's 4th choice CB? Or salford's? And what how close to ousting the starters are those household names.

When we get down as low as any team's 4th or 5th choice, how many are 'good enough'? You know who else wasn't good enough, but now, as usual, because he's not here anymore, he's become Bobby f@#$ing Moore..? Dejan Lovren. And I'd have this lad over him as 4th choice any day.

I love him, gives everything. We wouldn't win the league with him at CB every week but having him on the pitch for the last 10 mins of every game would be great, he doesn't get bullied, wins nearly everything in the air and gives his all. Great example to all the kids who moan about not getting first team football at 12 yrs old.

Sign him up if he wants to stay. If he doesn't, his CV has been enhanced massively with every game he's played this season. I wonder if he's got a youtube video yet?

I love him, gives everything. We wouldn't win the league with him at CB every week but having him on the pitch for the last 10 mins of every game would be great, he doesn't get bullied, wins nearly everything in the air and gives his all. Great example to all the kids who moan about not getting first team football at 12 yrs old.

Sign him up if he wants to stay. If he doesn't, his CV has been enhanced massively with every game he's played this season. I wonder if he's got a youtube video yet?

Exactly and he has made a statement for white men all over the world - he has shown that "white men can jump"

The problem with calling him a good 4th choice is that 4th choices usually rarely play. If he’s behind Gomez and Matip he’s going to get a fair amount of games. We need those two to eat their weetabix.

Nat Baresi lost McBurnie for their big chance, so both center backs got lucky.
Just watched it back.. Thaigo let him go.. you could argue that Phillip's should pick him up, but was lazy by Thaigo to just point and assume.

Just watched it back.. Thaigo let him go.. you could argue that Phillip's should pick him up, but was lazy by Thaigo to just point and assume.

I had to watch it again too. Three players around one lad, and no one really picks him up.
Nat looks out and sees McBurnie, then stays. Thiago leaves Mc Burnie alone, Trent is at the back.
Ideally, Nat is the one to fight him for that ball in the air though, but he misjudges his header and it goes over him.

Do people really think he's better than Lovren or is this another one of those Sterling/Ibe things?

I'm not gonna slag him off hes been put in a ridiculously difficult position, much like Kabak, but I don't believe he has a future at the club for numerous reasons.

Joe Gomez has lost quite a few half raters in his time too.

Fair point, this may be an unpopular opinion but I don't think Gomez has progressed. Hes still relatively young for a senior CB but he's still got big weak spots in his game thats haven't really gone away, he still looks a little bit lost when big bro isn't playing alongside him.

Do people really think he's better than Lovren or is this another one of those Sterling/Ibe things?

I'm not gonna slag him off hes been put in a ridiculously difficult position, much like Kabak, but I don't believe he has a future at the club for numerous reasons.

I'll bite...

On his best day, yes, Lovern is a much better player than Nat. of course that's fair. But, Lovren had far fewer of his best days with us than people seem to be remembering recently, and on his worst day, he was an utter liability. Nat's a decent player, most games... A solid 6 or 7, most games. 2 times in 10, Lovern would be an 8. Half the time, or more, he'd be a 5 or less.

Lovren was terrifying, most games. Nat's not. He's just a bit scary sometimes.

I'll bite...

On his best day, yes, Lovern is a much better player than Nat. of course that's fair. But, Lovren had far fewer of his best days with us than people seem to be remembering recently, and on his worst day, he was an utter liability. Nat's a decent player, most games... A solid 6 or 7, most games. 2 times in 10, Lovern would be an 8. Half the time, or more, he'd be a 5 or less.

Lovren was terrifying, most games. Nat's not. He's just a bit scary sometimes.
Jesus Christ. Are we really comparing a player nobody wanted a year ago and will be a free agent with a player who’s commanded millions and millions in fees, plsyed in CL league winning teams, league winning teams and WC finalist.

I’m not a lover of Lovern but fuck me he would have been a much better option this season than Nat.

Jesus Christ. Are we really comparing a player nobody wanted a year ago and will be a free agent with a player who’s commanded millions and millions in fees, plsyed in CL league winning teams, league winning teams and WC finalist.

I’m not a lover of Lovern but fuck me he would have been a much better option this season than Nat.

The fact that you're disagreeing with me makes me feel even better about my post... Djimi fucking Traore won a European Cup.

The fact that you're disagreeing with me makes me feel even better about my post... Djimi fucking Traore won a European Cup.

He did. Did he win the league? Was integral to getting to a WC final?

It’s just a laughable position but I’ll leave you to it.

Nat Phillips a better option than Lovern. Fucking LOL.

I think Klopp has made it very clear that Nat is at best a 7th choice CB at this club behind Kabak. I am not saying he would not improve but if we are still relying on him heavily by next season for whatever reason, we will likely not challenge again.

Instead of Nat, we need to sort out our first team CBs. Surely one of Matip or Gomez has to go, we simply cannot rely on them. We need to bring in one, or even two new first team CBs with little to no injury problems.

I think Klopp has made it very clear that Nat is at best a 7th choice CB at this club behind Kabak. I am not saying he would not improve but if we are still relying on him heavily by next season for whatever reason, we will likely not challenge again.

Instead of Nat, we need to sort out our first team CBs. Surely one of Matip or Gomez has to go, we simply cannot rely on them. We need to bring in one, or even two new first team CBs with little to no injury problems.

Thats about what I think. Phillips would likely have gone last summer if we could have found a buyer. Next summer we will be overhauling the defence and I don't believe he will be part of it.

This seasons CB debacle has proven 2 things, firstly you need 4 dedicated CBs to compete, secondly you cannot rely on Matip and Gomez fitness, one of them will have to make way.

Fair point, this may be an unpopular opinion but I don't think Gomez has progressed. Hes still relatively young for a senior CB but he's still got big weak spots in his game thats haven't really gone away, he still looks a little bit lost when big bro isn't playing alongside him.

Yeah I agree, I think he was still making alot of the same mistakes that we thought would have been ironed out - ie a lack of concentration and the same indecisiveness when dealing with long balls over the top. He's got bags of potential and is still young, but throw in his injury record and the concerns are more than valid.

Like I say, Pat... if you're the only the person disagreeing with me, I'll be ok. As you were, mate.

I think Dreamy is not wrong - objectively Lovren is a better defender than Phillips - quicker, more agile, more tactically flexible. If you’re Croatia or Zenit St. Petersburg and you need to pick whether to build your defense around Lovren or Phillips, it’s obvious who they would choose.

But if you’re Liverpool and need a 4th choose CB to come in in an odd game and not do something incredibly stupid and not take 2-4 games to “shake off the rust” then I think it’s better to have someone like Phillips - maybe less talented, but more reliable and clear-headed.

Last edited:
I think Dreamy is not wrong - objectively Lovren is a better defender than Phillips - quicker, more agile, more tactically flexible. If you’re Croatia or Zenit St. Petersburg and you can choose to build your defense around Lovren or Phillips, it’s obvious who they would choose.

But if you’re Liverpool and need a 4th choose CB to come in in an odd game and not do something incredibly stupid and not take 2-4 games to “shake off the rust” then I think it’s better to have someone like Phillips - maybe less talented, but more reliable.

That rationale is very similar to where I'm coming from, mate... I clearly stated that, on his best day, DL is the better footballer. But those days were few and far between, and I always expected a howler out of him. I don't with NP. I expect limited but sensible and usually sound defending from him. Hence, as a 4th choice, I'm going with him.

Last edited:

Well we can judge Lovren over a few seasons and conclude he was crap, we look at Nat and what? He looks decent, we'll see.

EvV8dZvVoAEtDVV

Lovren would be injured for 3-4 months after winning this header..

EvV8dZvVoAEtDVV

Lovren would be injured for 3-4 months after winning this header..

BTW this was the first game where our green kit kind of grew on me... I started thinking maybe it’s not so awful and maybe even somewhat cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom