• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Nat Baresi

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerOnions

Let's Push Things Forward
Administrator
Indeed it sounds like we're bringing in a defender from Preston, but right now Philips is barely putting a foot wrong and adds some real solidity to our defence at set pieces.

I think it's clear Williams is a bit too fresh-faced (not that I blame him) so I hope this can be the start of a run of games for Lothar Philips

19ed1014eb98155227b341707da141c7.jpg

Ha extra points for the photoshop.

He’s come in and done well at a difficult time. Fair play to him, always nice to see.

I hope this little spell helps him get a better deal / club when he moves on.

Ha! He's got quite a bit to learn but well done to him, there's nothing like playing in actual games to progress. He's good in the air, he's strong, he showed today he's actually far from the clogger he's sometimes been depicted as, he brought the ball out of defence really well, and he's SMART - I mean, he learns really quickly. If he gets a run of games he will advance faster than many will expect.

Ha! He's got quite a bit to learn but well done to him, there's nothing like playing in actual games to progress. He's good in the air, he's strong, he showed today he's actually far from the clogger he's sometimes been depicted as, he brought the ball out of defence really well, and he's SMART - I mean, he learns really quickly. If he gets a run of games he will advance faster than many will expect.
Exactly.

I always get the feeling that it's only that way for young players to be any good.

Don't think I've ever noticed Antonio backing away from a ball in the air before today but a little while after Nat and him clattered into each other there was another similar situation and Antonio had a look around, saw Nat coming and didn't even attempt to go for it.
Looked like he just thought, "Nah, fuck that"

Well it looks like he's going to get the run!

I think we will try to have one of our battle-hardened players at CB. If Matip out long term I expect Fabinho or Henderson with Phillips or Davies. I don't think they will want to go for Phillips + Davies.

I like Phillips and I think he’s done a good job. I know the expectation among lots of people is that he’ll move on, and maybe he will, but it will be interesting to see how he progresses this season. One thing this season should have taught us is that we definitely need four reliable centre backs. I don’t think it’s out of the question at all that Phillips can be one of them.

Old NVP, proving he's worth a place in the squad at the very least. 2nd choice at the club at this very moment.

Makes sense to bring it back up. Hendo isn't always 100% fit. Nat Phillips only just back in. Fabio a makeshift CB. For the Boss not to bring someone in is pushing our situation to the limit. I mean we are trying to make sure we at least get Champions League next season so we need cover for the center of defence. Other big clubs wouldn't dither over it and they'd spend what's needed. Bordering on farcical.

I like Phillips and I think he’s done a good job. I know the expectation among lots of people is that he’ll move on, and maybe he will, but it will be interesting to see how he progresses this season. One thing this season should have taught us is that we definitely need four reliable centre backs. I don’t think it’s out of the question at all that Phillips can be one of them.

I thought the way he moved forward with the ball at times was REALLY encouraging.

I can see why he's never been considered a top prospect, there's nothing exceptional about him.

But there also don't seem to be any real weaknesses.

I'd be quite happy to see him playing until our other CB's come back. He has a future as a backup for us.

He’s exactly the kind of player you’d love to throw on after 80 mins when 3-0 up to United just to wind them up

He should continue to play until he warrants dropping not before.

He’s been superb,

You know what guys ? - I have been taking most people on here for their word regarding this guy, but I have seen him play at least three times now, and to be honest yes he is not the fastest but as a defender - who has to do the basics - he looks more than OK to me. Am I missing something ?

And now he’s getting replaced by a Preston defender.
Not too sure about that. Phillips is a RCB and Davies a LCB. Could we see them in tandem allowing Hendo and Fabs back into midfield? Or at least one of them ... and to give Fabs/Hendo a deserved rest.

I'm not sure how Nat will fit in come next season. From everything Klopp has said we are definitely in for a top class (or one with potential to be a top) CB. So it's likely we will see :

VvD, New CB X, Gomez, Matip (squad, unless we deem his injury proneness to be terminal), Davies (squad) & Williams, both for FAC, LC. Do we have a spot for Phillips? The way he's playing you'd think he deserves another season but I don't think it's likely. He'll go down as a one season hero for us and hopefully he'll have a medal to take with him.

Last edited:
Medal for him, 25 million for us when he's sold to a mid table club in need of a starting CB

I wouldnt be at all surprised. Most clubs have 4 senior centre backs, if 2 of them are as injury prone as Matip and Gomez it should be 5. So in the long run we are probably looking at VvD, Gomez, Davies plus another signing this summer. Rhys should drop back to u23 and continue to develop there. That likely means one if not both of Matip and Phillips will go.

Matip seems to be physically breaking down to the point, like Sturridge, where you just cant have any faith in being able to call on him when needed. Hes a brilliant defender when hes fit but unless theres a very convincing argument from the medical team as to how they can fix him long term I think hes probably done at Anfield.

So Phillips has probably got 4 months left to convince Klopp he should be in his long term plans, even as 4th or 5th choice. If he wants to play everyweek then hes going to need to move in the summer and theres no better platform to attract the attention of buying clubs than a good run in the first team.

I wouldnt be at all surprised. Most clubs have 4 senior centre backs, if 2 of them are as injury prone as Matip and Gomez it should be 5. So in the long run we are probably looking at VvD, Gomez, Davies plus another signing this summer. Rhys should drop back to u23 and continue to develop there. That likely means one if not both of Matip and Phillips will go.

Matip seems to be physically breaking down to the point, like Sturridge, where you just cant have any faith in being able to call on him when needed. Hes a brilliant defender when hes fit but unless theres a very convincing argument from the medical team as to how they can fix him long term I think hes probably done at Anfield.

So Phillips has probably got 4 months left to convince Klopp he should be in his long term plans, even as 4th or 5th choice. If he wants to play everyweek then hes going to need to move in the summer and theres no better platform to attract the attention of buying clubs than a good run in the first team.
Philips doesn't have to convince Klopp of anything. He has plenty of suitors, no contract and we were gonna sell him last summer.
You think he'd stay and risk being 5th or 6th(don't forget Fabs) choice? Nah...

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/7889--liverpool/squad/
[article]Nathaniel Phillips has been added to Liverpool’s Champions League squad for the knockout rounds of the competition.

The centre-back was left off the original squad list for the group stages, but has now been added after impressing in recent weeks.

New signings Ozan Kabak and Ben Davies have also been added, while Virgil van Dijk remains in it too, despite his boss not expecting to play again this season.

But Joel Matip, who was on Monday ruled out for the remainder of the season, has been taken out.[/article]

I've always liked the look of him, in pre-season games, when I've seen him... Yes, he's no VVD, but nor is he a flippin' Djime Traore either!

I think he could deffo do a decent job for us, if he's satisfied being a 4th choice. Are there any behind-the-scenes issues that us peasants don't know about, that have seen his chances so limited..? Is he an arsehole, or something?

He's been very good for us in the games he's played for us, so far... Strong, brave, dependable. I'd love to see him get a decent run in the side now. He's earned it, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom