• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Midfielders other than Bellingham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kone, Thuram, Mac - that's a good midfield 3.

A year later, sack off Thiago and hopefully we can get Szoboszlai.

And we'll be set for another 5-10 years.

Don't forget we also have "Generational" talent Curtis Jones - only 22 right.

Don't forget we also have "Generational" talent Curtis Jones - only 22 right.

If Curtis Jones is a generational talent what does that make the likes of Mount Foden Grealish Madisson Rice Bellingham, even Ward Prowse Phillips Ramsey and Stones.

Surely we have to be looking at DM competition for Fabs? I mean surely..???

If we sign Thuram and Kone with their physicality and ball-winning ability, I could very well see MacAllister as a Fabinho alternative at #6 stringing the play together while the two Frenchmen are taking care of pressing a bit further forward. MacAllister might lack physicality (which is why it needs to be compensated elsewhere), but he has the positional intelligence and is a tenacious tackler – could work well as Trent's partner in the double-pivot.

--------------------------Kone---
-----Thuram---------------------
----------MacAllister------------
------------------------[Trent]----

For me the general rule is it's better to have quick players further forward – this way they can still run back in time when the ball is lost. The #6 position is the only one where lack of pace is not an issue.

Last edited:
We seem to be linked to every midfielder under the sun, so in my head I kind of organized them into categories in order to understand which role would a potential signing be best equipped to fill. Before we talk about specific players though, here are the 2 qualities I believe we most urgently need to add to the team:
  1. Tackling and mobility. Fabinho can read the game and tackle, but is getting less mobile with age and even with a full turn-around in form at this point I wouldn't trust him as our only enforcer. Hendo can run, but isn't an elite tackler and his positional discipline is suspect. We need someone who can win the ball cleanly in midfield and also has genuine defensive mindset and instincts, sensing the danger and filling spaces and protecting, especially if he's going to be playing next to the free-spirited Trent.
  2. Tireless running. The position of a free-roaming CM who often overlaps beyond the attackers and often adds the physical presence to the striking trio, acting almost as a 2nd striker, is probably the most under-appreciated in football. These are the players that make constant runs that make the system like Klopp-ball work – remove it and you lose a whole dimension of your attacking play. It requires extraordinary levels of physical endurance and excellent basic technique and cool head to make those times when this player receives the ball in dangerous position count. Valverde in Madrid is the ultimate example of such a player in modern game. This type of player is the key to unlocking the full potential of your forward line.
Now let's look at the categories:

"Defensive monster"
Characteristics – a proper ball winner. Often doesn't have be tied to one position – this player can be nominally a 6, or an 8 or even an inverted full-back or CB/DM. Key is the ability to protect yourself against counter-attacks; speed, dominant athleticism, tactical intelligence and tackling ability are non-negotiable requirements in this position.
1. Moises Caicedo, 21 (Brighton) £90M+. A Wijnaldum with more defensive "bite." Intelligent, fiery, a clean tackler and keeps getting better by the day. Seems an ideal fit; the only issue is the price.
2. Manuel Ugarte, 22 (Sporting) £52M release clause. Physically imposing, a proper combative DM type who can also play a bit. Judging from his tackling style, a potential red card liability in the EPL, could be a bit wild, but hopefully that will be ironed out with good coaching.
3. Aurelien Tchouameni, 23 (Real Madrid), probably £70M+ if he becomes available. Madrid would be stupid to let a generational DM go, but Florentino Perez has a history of doing just that and it does seem that Tchouameni is becoming marginalized lately, probably due to the president's wishes. Don't think we'll be favourites to land him even if he decides to move.

"Just give him the ball"
Characteristics – an all-around talent, physically imposing and able to do everything on the football pitch; a team's primary midfield engine. A new Gerrard or Vieira. Any team can use this kind of player: however it could be argued that with Trent's move into midfield, we have less of an urgent need for these qualities.
1. Jude Bellingham, 19 (Dortmund) £120M+. He's very, very good and very, very expensive. Likes us, but will probably sign for Madrid.
[bcolor=#ff0000]2. Khephren Thuram,[/bcolor] 22 (Nice) £50M+Lilian Thuram's younger son has grown into a superb all-around midfielder and should be considered a worthy Bellingham alternative.
3. Alex Scott, 19 (Bristol) £30M+ It's hard to see how we can accommodate a young attack-minded player in this midfield, given the likes of Bajcetic, Jones and Elliott also need to play. Would need to be loaned out.

"Off-the-ball runner"
Characteristics – see "tireless runner" description above.
1. Nicolo Barella, 26 (Inter) £70M+. Other than Madrid's Valverde, Barella is probably currently the classiest midfielder of this type in Europe. A worthy successor to Gattuso, the Sardinian has 8 goals and 9 assists in all competition so far in addition to his all-action selfless running and energy. At that age, he will be looking for his big payday if he moves.
2. Mason Mount, 24 (Chelsea) £70M. Started as an AM/winger, but it seems his biggest talent (and the reason why Klopp reportedly really likes him) is his off-the-ball work, movement and intelligence. Looks like Pochettino will do his best to keep him at Chelsea.
[bcolor=#ff0000]3. Dominik Szoboszlai,[/bcolor] 22 (RB Leipzig). Doesn't seem to be actively linked with us or anyone else yet and I have no idea how much he'd cost, but worth keeping an eye on. Like Hendo (or Mount) he seems to be the type who is starting as a winger/AM but seems to have the engine and willingness to cover ground and press that makes me think his future will be in this hybrid midfield/attack role.

"Jack of all trades"
[bcolor=#ff0000]1. Alexis MacAllister, [/bcolor]24 (Brighton) £70M. A player living through his dream season, having won the World Cup and helped his club team to achieve their best-ever season. A proper leader and a useful cog in many ways; I think he would be a perfect Milner replacement – but I also think he is way overpriced for the type of player he is.
2. Ryan Gravenberch, 20 (Bayern) £25M+. Different from MacAllister, but I think he also can be classified in this category. He can be useful in every phase of play, but doesn't seem dominant in either. I have a hard time justifying why we seem to be prioritizing these players over others who have more of the qualities that we need.

Wow. Can I just say in hindsight I'm seriously impressed by this list. We've just gone out and paid actual money for one of each category of midfielder you've listed (except the one we need the most of course). @rurikbird are you Jorg Schmadtke's secret penpal?

I think Bellingham is potentially a generational talent and Spain/Real rotation will suit his dodgy knees. I think he'd be run into the ground playing for us in PL, similar to how he was at Dortmund.

But both Mac Allister and Szobo are potential world class players.

And if it turns out than Mac + Szobo = Bellingham, I think we will have made the right decision overall.

Wow. Can I just say in hindsight I'm seriously impressed by this list. We've just gone out and paid actual money for one of each category of midfielder you've listed (except the one we need the most of course). @rurikbird are you Jorg Schmadtke's secret penpal?
Possibly because we still have Fabs and Steph is the understudy.

Liverpool have paid the FULL release clause for Dominik Szoboszlai after trying all day to go down different routes, they pulled the trigger with time running out -
@FabrizioRomano

That turn from 1:00 - 1:04, thats all I need to get excited about a player. I am a simple man.

He’s very unpredictable with the ball. Reminds me of Suarez that way. Not quite as good of a dribbler, but a better passer. Must be nightmare to defend.

He’s very unpredictable with the ball. Reminds me of Suarez that way. Not quite as good of a dribbler, but a better passer. Must be nightmare to defend.

It’s the disguise on his passing and decisions that many commented on - he is very good at not telegraphing his intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom