• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Marco Jansen

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
New pace bowler debuting in the India vs South AFrica test series.

Tall, lanky and with a nasty attitude.
Not as quick as Rabada etc, but takes wickets (18 in 3 tests so far).

He's pretty hand with the bat too... When Bumrah was going after him, you could just see scowling at him and wanting the challenge.

Love the diamond we've unearthed here ... 21!

Looked good indeed. Very impressed by the SA attack - did not expect them to be this good. Our batting has been rubbish throughout the series though. Great knock by Pant, but this should be a chaseable target.

Looked good indeed. Very impressed by the SA attack - did not expect them to be this good. Our batting has been rubbish throughout the series though. Great knock by Pant, but this should be a chaseable target.

Insane knock by Pant ...

It's tough to chase 200 at newlands, very few teams have done it.

I'm just happy we could compete considering how poor I find this team ...
Impressed with Petersen's debut - but pity he's 28 already!

I guess when Nortje returns, we'll have to drop Ngidi or Olivier as Jansen is a diamond.

I loved his interaction with Bumrah in the 2nd test - loved how he just scowled at him when batting and said (I don't know much in Afrikaans but) "fuck you, bring it again" (and Bumrah did obviously) ... no fear and talent ...

@dmishra - question on Kohli. Is he really having a rough run in general? Just curious as his batting seemed un-Kohli-like.
No century in almost 3 years, in any format of the game. Thought he grafted really hard and was determined to score in this match. Pleased with his effort.

Fed up with Pujara and Rahane though, especially Rahane. Plenty of others knocking on the door - time to give them a chance.

No century in almost 3 years, in any format of the game. Thought he grafted really hard and was determined to score in this match. Pleased with his effort.

Fed up with Pujara and Rahane though, especially Rahane. Plenty of others knocking on the door - time to give them a chance.

Yah he worked really hard - just strange to see him like this more than the stroke player he is/was.

Yah Pujara and Rahane are nearing the end ...

Who are the up and coming young batsmen?

Shreyas Iyer and Surya Kumar Yadav are the two middle order bats who're really pushing for a place. I think one of them gets in place or Rahane very soon. There's also Shubman Gill, who opened in the Australia series. I also think Mayank Agarwal who's been opening this series (and struggling), is very talented, and would be better lower down the order.

Shreyas Iyer and Surya Kumar Yadav are the two middle order bats who're really pushing for a place. I think one of them gets in place or Rahane very soon. There's also Shubman Gill, who opened in the Australia series. I also think Mayank Agarwal who's been opening this series (and struggling), is very talented, and would be better lower down the order.

Cool stuff - wish I could 'introduce' you to some of the SA talent but haven't followed it much lately.

Any updates from u19 world cup?

Cool stuff - wish I could 'introduce' you to some of the SA talent but haven't followed it much lately.

Any updates from u19 world cup?
Can't say I watch much cricket. I try to watch tests when I can. Can't stand T20 and ODIs seem to be a dying format.

that's a massive wicket for India a few balls before end of play.
Fuck's sake ... Elgar ...
Going to be tight tomorrow.

I feel like our batting in tests has not been that great for quite some time. Our maximum possible score even in batsmen-friendly track appears to be 350ish. Quite a bit of our wins has come with our tail-wagging (Ashwin, Shardul Thakur, Washington Sunday) playing useful 30-60s or Pant playing a blinder once every five tests. The bowling has carried this team for some time.

that's a massive wicket for India a few balls before end of play.
Fuck's sake ... Elgar ...
Going to be tight tomorrow.
First spell will decide the game IMO. If we knock back a couple in the first 10 overs, anything could happen. If SA survives that, I think Petersen will see them through. What a talent he looks.

I feel like our batting in tests has not been that great for quite some time. Our maximum possible score even in batsmen-friendly track appears to be 350ish. Quite a bit of our wins has come with our tail-wagging (Ashwin, Shardul Thakur, Washington Sunday) playing useful 30-60s or Pant playing a blinder once every five tests. The bowling has carried this team for some time.
Yep, Rohit Sharma is the only one who has performed consistently well, and Pant of course is a complete game-changer when he's on. The middle order though has gone terribly stale, and badly needs an injection of new blood.

First spell will decide the game IMO. If we knock back a couple in the first 10 overs, anything could happen. If SA survives that, I think Petersen will see them through. What a talent he looks.

He's 28 though ... pity he's breaking into test cricket so late

what a fucking series win for South Africa ... I'm really really shocked that this team, which has so many holes, could compete with India.
There's a lot of holes to fill but there's some great building blocks with a young, hungry pace attack as the nucleus

what a fucking series win for South Africa ... I'm really really shocked that this team, which has so many holes, could compete with India.
There's a lot of holes to fill but there's some great building blocks with a young, hungry pace attack as the nucleus

Yup. SA has a great bowling attack to build on from. Get a couple of reliable middle-order batsmen and they are good to go.

It certainly helps when the home side is allowed to break the laws of physics.

FI_ynM0aAAUU1XY

SA win the ODIs 3-0 ... two great innings from De Kock and India just seem off.

Our approach to ODI, in fact, white ball cricket has been off for a few years. We are still playing Dhoni cricket. England has raised the bar in terms of scoring rate and explosiveness, other top countries are catching on, whereas we are still run accumulating till 35 overs (150 to 175ish) and then putting immense pressure on Pant and co in terms of required run rate.

Our top 3 consistently play at less than run a ball. Statistically, their numbers look great, but on the whole, we will lose against quality teams as we are wasting the power play. From Rohit, Rahul, Dhawan, Kohli - pick two. Replace the rest with players who play more explosively.

Our approach to ODI, in fact, white ball cricket has been off for a few years. We are still playing Dhoni cricket. England has raised the bar in terms of scoring rate and explosiveness, other top countries are catching on, whereas we are still run accumulating till 35 overs (150 to 175ish) and then putting immense pressure on Pant and co in terms of required run rate.

Our top 3 consistently play at less than run a ball. Statistically, their numbers look great, but on the whole, we will lose against quality teams as we are wasting the power play. From Rohit, Rahul, Dhawan, Kohli - pick two. Replace the rest with players who play more explosively.

Very interesting analysis - that's what it seemed like when I was watching, that they were playing 'restrained', nothing like you see from De Kock and ... well only him really nowadays on our team.

Very interesting analysis - that's what it seemed like when I was watching, that they were playing 'restrained', nothing like you see from De Kock and ... well only him really nowadays on our team.

There has been a distinct lack of clarity on whom we want to play, how we want to play, in white ball cricket in the last five years. Kohli was a monster chaser pre-2018. He has lost that with his captaincy which has exposed our batting even further. Who is our opener, middle order, spinner - no clue? It is like every series they are trying something and discarding. The world cup is in 18 months and are we reverting back to KL Rahul, Dhawan opening? Is Hardik Pandya still an allrounder- or rather an allrounder who doesn't bowl but doesn't contribute with the bat also. Last world cup we were experimenting with our lineups into the semifinal also and I think it is going to be the same this time around also.

When Rohit comes back, what happens to Dhawan? What did we learn by playing Dhawan? He is a good solid player who will score at slightly less than run a ball - another accumulator in the Rahul mould. Why not try out a younger player like Ishan, Ruturaj given that we have lost the series anyways.

Jason Roy's 40 in 20-25 balls is more valuable than Rahul and Dhawan's 60 in 70 balls. Somehow India has not gotten the memo.

The part which bewilders me is that the media is completely silent on this. Everyone is focusing on the "start" which the big three gave and insinuating the people who came in lower did not play their part. No one is talking about the fact that the top 3 has been scoring consistently less than the required run rate, even in power plays and when Pant comes in, there is pressure on him to score at a strike rate of 150 plus. Looks like it is going to be the same strategy in the world cup also. Pant and Jadeja will have to score 100-130 runs consistently at a strike rate of 150 plus between 35 to 50 overs for us to make a mark.

And if our top 4 is Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Rahul - then I don't think I am even going to bother buying the world cup TV package to watch it.

Like for analysis ... we really should talk more cricket here (though I'd not be able to offer such analysis on the Proteas!)

There has been a distinct lack of clarity on whom we want to play, how we want to play, in white ball cricket in the last five years. Kohli was a monster chaser pre-2018. He has lost that with his captaincy which has exposed our batting even further. Who is our opener, middle order, spinner - no clue? It is like every series they are trying something and discarding. The world cup is in 18 months and are we reverting back to KL Rahul, Dhawan opening? Is Hardik Pandya still an allrounder- or rather an allrounder who doesn't bowl but doesn't contribute with the bat also. Last world cup we were experimenting with our lineups into the semifinal also and I think it is going to be the same this time around also.

When Rohit comes back, what happens to Dhawan? What did we learn by playing Dhawan? He is a good solid player who will score at slightly less than run a ball - another accumulator in the Rahul mould. Why not try out a younger player like Ishan, Ruturaj given that we have lost the series anyways.

Jason Roy's 40 in 20-25 balls is more valuable than Rahul and Dhawan's 60 in 70 balls. Somehow India has not gotten the memo.

The part which bewilders me is that the media is completely silent on this. Everyone is focusing on the "start" which the big three gave and insinuating the people who came in lower did not play their part. No one is talking about the fact that the top 3 has been scoring consistently less than the required run rate, even in power plays and when Pant comes in, there is pressure on him to score at a strike rate of 150 plus. Looks like it is going to be the same strategy in the world cup also. Pant and Jadeja will have to score 100-130 runs consistently at a strike rate of 150 plus between 35 to 50 overs for us to make a mark.

And if our top 4 is Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Rahul - then I don't think I am even going to bother buying the world cup TV package to watch it.

I'm not sure it's them being out of touch. Dhawan a few years ago was exactly what you want, he was smashing every ball possible to all corners. I think it's a conscious decision based on finances. That top 4 must be pulling in utter millions a year from their various sponsorship deals. Scoring enough risk-free runs consistently enough to stay in the side is an understandable ploy for them. At this stage of their careers, if they took a risk to score more quickly "for their country", it would be suicidal since it's only a matter of time before they run into a sequence of low scores and get bombed out of the team for a younger player.

I'm not sure it's them being out of touch. Dhawan a few years ago was exactly what you want, he was smashing every ball possible to all corners. I think it's a conscious decision based on finances. That top 4 must be pulling in utter millions a year from their various sponsorship deals. Scoring enough risk-free runs consistently enough to stay in the side is an understandable ploy for them. At this stage of their careers, if they took a risk to score more quickly "for their country", it would be suicidal since it's only a matter of time before they run into a sequence of low scores and get bombed out of the team for a younger player.

I have no problem with each one of them individually. I have a problem with the selectors who select all four of them as they offer the same thing. Every team needs those accumulators. But two is enough. It is not like we have a dearth of talents. Shubman Gill, Prithvi Shaw, Ishan Kishen, Ruturak Gaikwad are all top level talents who can score more aggressively than Rahul or Dhawan or even the 2022 Kohli.

Back
Top Bottom