• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Manchester United (H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely brilliant video, just published. Maybe the best I've ever seen : Liverpool vs Manchester on every level; football, fashion, music, industry .. the history.

This is what it means to support one of these two great clubs.

Just published? This has been out for ages.

Because I'm a masochist, I went ahead and rewatched the entire Man United-Liverpool match from Old Trafford earlier in the season – just wanted to remind myself how exactly they managed to neutralize us for most of the game. I think there were 4 main factors:
  1. United players came out noticeably fired up, while ours seemed to treat this as a normal game – as a result United players were winning more duels and getting most of the loose balls in the first half (except when Gini was involved).
  2. Martin Atkinson produced a classic "home refereeing" performance – allowing aggressive play by the home team, but keeping the away team in a straitjacket. Our players kept getting more frustrated by the minute and without this, point #1 wouldn't have been as effective.
  3. Our front 3 was out of sync in the first half with Mane on the right and Origi subbing for Salah who was injured in the previous game. We really missed Salah's ability to stretch the play and Origi also couldn't replicate Mane's ability to cause chaos with the ball from the opposite flank. Klopp had to make an early (by his standards) substitution of Origi to rectify this.
  4. Ole's tactical plan of clogging the middle of the pitch with 5 players (3 forwards and 2 CMs), while allowing our full-backs to have the ball in less dangerous areas (with 2 opponents always in front) has rendered our 3-man midfield ineffective in terms of building from the back. Soon after the restart Klopp switched formation to 4-4-2, which removed the redundant midfielder from the overcrowded middle and gave us extra players to start creating combinations on the flanks, United couldn't counter this and started dropping ever deeper, which eventually led to a deserved equalizer.
I expect things will be quite different on Sunday. They won't have an edge in intensity at Anfield (if they do, something's really wrong with us), Martin Atkinson won't be refereeing and, barring any last-minute knocks, our first-choice front 3 is available. I wonder if Solskjaer will go for the same formation with 3 at the back again – they only played like this twice this season, against us and away at Sheffield. Some of the personnel will be different – Ashley Young is in Italy, McTominay, who was so key for their midfield, is injured and Rashford may or may not recover in time, while Martial, Mata, Matic and Greenwood who didn't start last time out all had key roles recently. In any case, the basic plan of clogging the middle at the expense of allowing our full-backs free reign everywhere except the attacking areas will probably be in place. How will Klopp counter this time?

I'd be tempted to start with a "double-pivot," to remove any possibility of man-marking our regista out of the game, like they did with Pereira on Fabinho last time out. Most importantly, we should have 2 playmakers at all times who are looking to get on the ball between the lines (where there should be space if they try to press high up the pitch). It will probably be Ox in addition to Firmino, but I would also want to see Shaqiri given minutes in this game – he's probably the best we've got at playing cute disguised through balls and this could be deadly against their slow-on-the-turn defense. Also, our full-back play has evolved since October and given this kind of space they now happily switch the play between the flanks, the kind of trademark Liverpool 2019-20 pass that was totally absent last time out.

4-3-3/4-2-2-2:
----------------Alisson----------------
--------Gomez------Van Dijk-------
Trent---------------------------Robbo
-------------Hendo----Gini-----------
----Ox---------------------------Mane
------------Salah------Firmino-------

Subs: Adrian, Matip, Williams, Fabinho, Lallana, Shaqiri, Origi

Last edited:
Because I'm a masochist, I went ahead and rewatched the entire Man United-Liverpool match from Old Trafford earlier in the season – just wanted to remind myself how exactly they managed to neutralize us for most of the game. I think there were 4 main factors:
  1. United players came out noticeably fired up, while ours seemed to treat this as a normal game – as a result United players were winning more duels and getting most of the loose balls in the first half (except when Gini was involved).
  2. Martin Atkinson produced a classic "home refereeing" performance – allowing aggressive play by the home team, but keeping the away team in a straitjacket. Our players kept getting more frustrated by the minute and without this, point #1 wouldn't have been as effective.
  3. Our front 3 was out of sync in the first half with Mane on the right and Origi subbing for Salah who was injured in the previous game. We really missed Salah's ability to stretch the play and Origi also couldn't replicate Mane's ability to cause chaos with the ball from the opposite flank. Klopp had to make an early (by his standards) substitution of Origi to rectify this.
  4. Ole's tactical plan of clogging the middle of the pitch with 5 players (3 forwards and 2 CMs), while allowing our full-backs to have the ball in less dangerous areas (with 2 opponents always in front) has rendered our 3-man midfield ineffective in terms of building from the back. Soon after the restart Klopp switched formation to 4-4-2, which removed the redundant midfielder from the overcrowded middle and gave us extra players to start creating combinations on the flanks, United couldn't counter this and started dropping ever deeper, which eventually led to a deserved equalizer.
I expect things will be quite different on Sunday. They won't have an edge in intensity at Anfield (if they do, something's really wrong with us), Martin Atkinson won't be refereeing and, barring any last-minute knocks, our first-choice front 3 is available. I wonder if Solskjaer will go for the same formation with 3 at the back again – they only played like this twice this season, against us and away at Sheffield. Some of the personnel will be different – Ashley Young is in Italy, McTominay, who was so key for their midfield, is injured and Rashford may or may not recover in time, while Martial, Mata, Matic and Greenwood who didn't start last time out all had key roles recently. In any case, the basic plan of clogging the middle at the expense of allowing our full-backs free reign everywhere except the attacking areas will probably be in place. How will Klopp counter this time?

I'd be tempted to start with a "double-pivot," to remove any possibility of man-marking our regista out of the game, like they did with Pereira on Fabinho last time out. Most importantly, we should have 2 playmakers at all times who are looking to get on the ball between the lines (where there should be space if they try to press high up the pitch). It will probably be Ox in addition to Firmino, but I would also want to see Shaqiri given minutes in this game – he's probably the best we've got at playing cute through balls and this could be deadly against their slow-ish defense. Also, our full-back play has evolved since October and given this kind of space they now happily switch the play between the flanks, the kind of trademark Liverpool 2019-20 pass that was totally absent last time out.

4-2-3-1:
----------------Alisson----------------
--------Gomez------Van Dijk-------
Trent---------------------------Robbo
-------------Hendo----Gini-----------
----Ox---------------------------Mane
------------Salah------Firmino-------

Subs: Adrian, Matip, Williams, Fabinho, Lallana, Shaqiri, Origi

My biggest take away from that game was that the ref allowed them to be overly physical without any fear of punishment. We did not respond well and they were fired up, no point complaining it happens in some away games you have to deal with it we didnt. We didn't match their intensity and we kept pleading with the ref for decisions. That set the template for how the game was played until the 2nd half when they visibly tired and started dropping deeper. I dont think it will be an issue at Anfield.

I suspect they will attempt to play much like Spurs did last week, concede territory retain their shape and look to capitalise on any turnovers by getting the ball into their front 3 as quickly as possible. We need to defend alot better than we did last week, Gomez in particular.

We will need somebody from midfield to offer a bit more threat and be willing to get beyond their opposite number and interchange with Bobby to create overloads in and around the box to draw their defenders out of position. Keita is probably our midfielder best suited to doing that so in his absence I guess it will fall to Gini to take the game to them.

My biggest take away from that game was that the ref allowed them to be overly physical without any fear of punishment. We did not respond well and they were fired up, no point complaining it happens in some away games you have to deal with it we didnt. We didn't match their intensity and we kept pleading with the ref for decisions. That set the template for how the game was played until the 2nd half when they visibly tired and started dropping deeper. I dont think it will be an issue at Anfield.

I suspect they will attempt to play much like Spurs did last week, concede territory retain their shape and look to capitalise on any turnovers by getting the ball into their front 3 as quickly as possible. We need to defend alot better than we did last week, Gomez in particular.

We will need somebody from midfield to offer a bit more threat and be willing to get beyond their opposite number and interchange with Bobby to create overloads in and around the box to draw their defenders out of position. Keita is probably our midfielder best suited to doing that so in his absence I guess it will fall to Gini to take the game to them.
Yep. I really don't want to see Ox start this one. He has been very poor (by our standards) by giving away possession in the last couple of games he's played. With no Keita to start I wouldn't be surprised to see Klopp start Fabinho, even though normally he tends to ease players back in. Shaq has never played well for us as the AM has he ? Which is why Klopp doesn't like to play him there. Klopp isn't going to experiment in this game otherwise dropping Firmino back and putting Origi at CF could be interesting.

If it's not Ox it has to be Fabs back at DM freeing up Gini and Hendo.

Absolutely brilliant video. Maybe the best I've ever seen : Liverpool vs Manchester on every level; football, fashion, music, industry .. the history.

This is what it means to support one of these two great clubs.

I know, I posted on this thread twice already

I’d like Lallana to start but I think Klopp likes experience on the field at the end of a game. Quite often he brings Milner on which he can’t do now. Lallana may well get the last half hour or so on place of Ox.
Their midfield is slow in places so I can see Ox having a field day.

I’d like Lallana to start but I think Klopp likes experience on the field at the end of a game. Quite often he brings Milner on which he can’t do now. Lallana may well get the last half hour or so on place of Ox.
Their midfield is slow in places so I can see Ox having a field day.

Ox gives the ball away alot, which is exactly what this Utd team is built to feed on. We cant turn over the ball cheaply when Trent and Robbo are committed high up the pitch. I hope we go with Fabinho, but Klopp could throw a curveball and give Minamino the most advanced midfield role.

Ox gives the ball away alot, which is exactly what this Utd team is built to feed on. We cant turn over the ball cheaply when Trent and Robbo are committed high up the pitch. I hope we go with Fabinho, but Klopp could throw a curveball and give Minamino the most advanced midfield role.
I have serious doubts Klopp would give him his first start in this game when he's played so few minutes with us, which is why I didn't even bother to mention him. But I'd love it if he did - exactly the type of creative and energetic player we're going to need to break them down.

Minamino would make sense in many ways, but I find it hard to imagine klopp throwing him in so soon, esp in a match that's likely to be highly charged & played at a fast pace.

I suspect Lallana may get the nod myself, with Gini & Hendo alternating in the advanced role.

Logically you would expect him to leave Minamino out. However theres an odd sort of logic to it. Hes much fresher than any of our other players, hes best suited to the role we need in this game, and Utd will have no expectation that hes going to play so it would put them on the back foot that they hadn't planned for it.

I still think its unlikely, but it would be the sort of bold gamble that Klopp has been incredibly cautious about in these games so far.

I see what you mean about Ox, but Spurs were set up exactly the same way. Completely forgot about Minamino, but may be a little too early for him, or fabs too, sadly.

Expect more comments like this after united defend like crazy tomorrow

hope we batter the fuck out of them and show Ole what a team should be like.
Not enough to get him the sack though ;)

Rashford hasn't travelled with the squad, according to MEN this is the squad:

De Gea, Romero, Grant, Jones, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Williams, Bailly, Maguire, Dalot, Shaw, Lingard, Matic, Fred, Pereira, Gomes, Mata, Chong, James, Martial, Greenwood.

Could still be mind games, with him travelling separately, but it seems a bit far fetched.

Considering the way we have played this season, the media may have mentioned something about an unbeaten run and Fortress Anfield...

Why are may of us(me included) shitting it over Ole`s team beating us?
Fuck them fuck fergie fuck the Derby.

Time to step up and show why we are European&World Champions.

Just Fucking Do IT (Nike TM)

Considering the way we have played this season, the media may have mentioned something about an unbeaten run and Fortress Anfield...

Why are may of us(me included) shitting it over Ole`s team beating us?
Fuck them fuck fergie fuck the Derby.

Time to step up and show why we are European&World Champions.

Just Fucking Do IT (Nike TM)

Really ? - I cannot even imagine a loss right now to like ANY team.

To be fair, he did say right now. I don’t think even Napoli could beat us right now.

To be fair, he did say right now. I don’t think even Napoli could beat us right now.

Guffaw “even [the mighty] Napoli can’t beat us”

We could lose to anyone. I’m reasonably sure our last stupendous unbeaten home run was to a relegation candidate, Leicester (1-2).

I’m chilled for the first time in what feels like a gazillion years about tomorrow as, whatever the result, we are going to get a 19th championship this year and we”re going to be pill position for 20 (+) for the next few seasons whilst united will be nowhere.

We used to beat United and celebrate massively ... then they’d win the league ... again.

Now it’s us that doesn’t need to worry too much. Yes, I’d fucking love it if we win, even better a hammering, but the reality is they’re no more important an opponent than Wolves, dangerous but a tier below

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom