• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mad Donkey fan club (£8 for new members)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
8 starts and 6 sub appearances. 7 goals, 1 assist, 1 red card, gazillion missed chances. I’m starting to like our mad Uruguayan.

NINTCHDBPICT000749619825.jpg

He's still got that unpredictable exuberance all our attackers had until we train it out of him.

That's unfair – Mane has become a much better player by following Klopp's instructions and making runs into specific areas and finishing a certain consistent way. Great strikers are boring, in a way – they do the few things they know really, really well and don't do anything else. When Darwin the mad donkey is tamed and fully trained, he will start scoring hat-tricks instead of singles.

That's unfair – Mane has become a much better player by following Klopp's instructions and making runs into specific areas and finishing a certain consistent way. Great strikers are boring, in a way – they do the few things they know really, really well and don't do anything else. When Darwin the mad donkey is tamed and fully trained, he will start scoring hat-tricks instead of singles.

I don't disagree with you. I'm just pointing out that in this current system, our attackers have not expressed themselves in the way they did in say, 17/18 when we threw caution to the wind led by the trio of Mane Bobby and Salah to the CL final. We lost that of course, but I don't think I've seen us thrill in attack like that since then, even if we're a more effective title challenger now.

I'll use any excuse to post this timeless pearl of wisdom from Gattuso.

I really, really liked the way Darwin angled his body while advancing forward from the left with a defender in front of him, so that he can suddenly burst forward into the penalty area and make space for the cross, which would have given Salah a tap-in if not for a great defensive intervention. He had a full picture of what he wanted to do in his mind from the moment he received the ball. More of this, please!

Last edited:
Was always a fan and hasn't changed since.
Even watching us amble through this season, he is a bright spark and makes me laugh.
Was funny watching him have multiple pops at the Napoli defender today, complete twat but our twat.

Notice how in this game he is playing in the same spaces that Mane would have - he is far too mobile and energetic to be confined to a static CF role.

The challenge is for him to get comfortable playing against deep-lying defences - at Benfica he was devastatingly effective on the counter with space to run into. This is where coaching and integrating him into our system will be key - how to create and exploit tiny spaces even against compact defences.

Last edited:
Every time I watch him - he’s shit!!!

Every time I don’t watch him he’s boss!!!

I’ll take the fucking hint and not watch the Spurs game!!!!

I think anyone bemoaning his amount of missed chances should sit down and watch a full 90 minutes of peak Rush/Dalglish and see how many misses they racked up in a game.

Often that was because the pitches were shit then if I remember? Just about to strike and the ball would bobble on a lump of turf and end up in the stand.

Less excuse on the carpets they play on now but that lad is going to get better and better.

I separate Nunez the mad lad from Nunez the Liverpool player.

I honestly think the club has made a mistake.

When we had Mane, Firmino and Salah we had 3 forwards who pressed the hell out of the opposition when they didn't have the ball and also played telepathically with skill and flair when they had the ball. It was a joy to see those front three moving in unison and performing skillfully at breakneck speed.

I don't see any telepathy or speed of thought with Nunez in his connection with Salah or Firmino. He's a way more predictable player. Yes he's fast and all that but he lacks that unpredictability / skill / flair that Mane brought to the table.

Maybe just maybe hopefully when our midfield is sorted maybe I will understand this new attacking football strategy that Klopp seems to be taking us in but at the moment I'm luke warm to Nunez. It honestly could be that we need a better more solid midfield for Nunezs skill set to flourish so there is that.

Nunez is not at the level of those others yet, but criticising him for lacking unpredictability is loopy. On the contrary, if he were more predictable he'd have found his niche quicker. What he needs is time to mature and settle in. Bobby, Mo and Mane also needed time to gel into the amazing combo they eventually became, and they were all older and more experienced than Nunez when they arrived at LFC.

I'm wondering whether we've maybe signed the player Balotelli could have been? Not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing, but I know that I really want the lad to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom