• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Loan Players Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jakub Ojrzynski on loan at Caernarfon Town in the Welsh league. They finished 6th out of 12 teams in the regular league season (before 2nd phrase - where clubs are split into Championship and Relegation groups) Wonder if there's any specific reason why we have opted to loan out goalies to seemingly less competitive league (Vitezslav Jaros @ St Patrick's Athletic in Irish league)

Leighton Clarkson - Blackburn (loan)

[article]Rovers are delighted to announce the signing of midfielder Leighton Clarkson on a season-long loan deal from Liverpool.

A boyhood Rovers fan and former season ticket holder, Clarkson played and trained with the club from the age of four to nine, before officially joining Liverpool.

He has since progressed through the Reds’ youth ranks to the fringes of the first team, making his professional debut in the League Cup quarter-final away to Aston Villa in December 2019.

The 19-year-old was handed his first start in a Liverpool shirt in the 1-0 FA Cup victory over Shrewsbury Town in February 2020, before being rewarded with a new long-term contract at Anfield that summer.

A regular for Liverpool’s Under-23s side last season, the creative midfielder scored a late equaliser against Rovers in the Premier League 2 clash at Leyland in April.

The talented teenager also started Liverpool’s Champions League group game against Danish side FC Midtjylland last December.

Having trained with Jurgen Klopp’s squad throughout pre-season, Clarkson is now looking forward to the prospect of playing regular first team football this campaign, back in blue-and-white halves, where he will follow in the footsteps of Liverpool team-mate Harvey Elliott, who excelled last season on loan at Ewood Park.

Welcome (back) to the club, Leighton! [/article]

Last edited:

[article]Slaviša Jokanović has secured his first signing as Sheffield United boss with the acquisition of a vastly experienced and versatile Championship defender.

Liverpool's Ben Davies arrives at Bramall Lane on a season-long deal, which will see him remain at S2 for the remainder of the 2021/22 campaign and bolster United's defensive options moving forward.

Born in Barrow-in-Furness, Davies joined Preston North End at the age of 11 having been spotted playing locally in Cumbria.

Davies made his Lilywhites debut at the age of just 17, against Coventry City in January 2013 and went on to win the club's Scholar of the Year award for 2012/13 season. The left-sided centre-back spent the entire 2013/14 campaign on-loan at York City, making 47 appearances as the Minstermen reached the League Two play-offs.

Brief stints at Tranmere Rovers and Southport followed, before Davies progressed up the pyramid and enjoyed successful spells at Newport County and Fleetwood Town.

The 26-year-old penned new terms at Deepdale in both July 2017 and March 2018, winning the Young Player of the Year award in 2017/18 and the Player of the Year award in 2018/19 as well as the Sir Tom Finney Player of the Year award. In total, Davies made close to 150 appearances for the Lancastrian outfit.

In February 2021, Davies made the switch to Liverpool, penning a long-term contract on Merseyside, although he hasn't made a senior appearance during his time at Anfield.[/article]

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....urn-rovers-boss-liverpools-leighton-clarkson/
[article]Leighton Clarkson will be involved in Rovers’ matchday squad at Nottingham Forest and Tony Mowbray believes the midfielder will bring technical quality to the club.

Clarkson signed on a season-long loan deal from Liverpool on Monday but has trained twice with the squad and will be involved on the bench for tomorrow’s trip to Nottingham Forest.

The teenager is the first signing of the summer and will help reinforce the midfield options that have been depleted since the departures of Corry Evans, Lewis Holtby, Stewart Downing and Tom Trybull.

Having been part of Liverpool’s pre-season plans, the move has been a while in the waiting, but Mowbray was delighted to get it over the line.

He said: “In my mind it’s been rolling on a while, we’ve had to try and line other things up before we pushed the button on Leighton. He’s a lovely football player, he’s very local and it’s something he’ll have really wanted to do and we were very aware of that.

“It was just about getting the right timing. We’ve been trying to do lots of things behind the scenes and line them all up and I think this was the right time.

“Ultimately, we’ll see what impact he makes, he’s a continuity player who plays forward and picks the right pass and he has to come in, work hard on the training ground and get in the team and when his opportunity comes he has to show me that he deserves to be playing week in, week out.

“We need reinforcements, Leighton is the first one and hopefully the first of quite a few over the next couple of weeks.

“The more you watch his clips of him playing, the more you think ‘wow’, what a talent.

“He’s a great passer of the ball, sees short and long passes and fights his weight.

“If he can stamp his personality and authority on our team then that will be great for us."

A boyhood Rovers fan, Clarkson’s knowledge of the squad has enabled him to settle in quickly and Mowbray says he could be used from the bench at The City Ground should the game require his specific qualities.

Clarkson’s preferred role is as a creative midfielder operating in front of the back four, but he has played further forward during his time with the Liverpool Academy sides.

“He has said that he’s watched a lot of our games and that’s a positive that he understands the team, he knows the players, he’s fitted straight in to be honest,” the manager added.

“He’s a nice lad, a nice kid, he’s been around senior players and trained with Liverpool’s first-team for quite a while now and he just has to adjust to the type of training we do and the fact we’ll be playing two games a week.

“We’re looking forward to getting him really wrapped up in the football club and see where his talent takes him and where it puts him in the pecking order of selection and let’s see how he does.”

Clarkson is the second signing from Liverpool in as many years, with Harvey Elliott having spent the season at Ewood Park last time out.

Asked if the relationship with the Reds was a positive for Rovers, Mowbray said: “First and foremost, young players need experience and the Championship seems the ideal place for young Premier League footballers to go and mix it and get stuck in to competitive men’s football, particularly when they’re as young as Leighton and Harvey, they’re boys really and at some stage they need to go and test themselves in the physical arena of playing every three days in the Championship.

“I think it makes sense to me. It makes sense geographically.

“He should fit straight in and let his football do the talking and I don’t think there’s much change to his life even though he’s got a much shorter journey to work every morning.”[/article]

According to Sofascore, Clarkson is Blackburn's best performing player so far.

Last edited:

[article]Robbie Neilson continues to strengthen his high-flying squad with the capture of attacking midfielder Ben Woodburn on loan from Liverpool.

The Welsh international joins the Jambos on a season-long loan deal from Anfield, subject to international clearance.

21-year-old Ben, Liverpool’s youngest ever goalscorer, makes the move to Tynecastle Park and will train with his new teammates this week as he bids to stake a claim for a spot in Saturday’s squad for the trip to Dundee United.

Ben joined Liverpool’s academy at U7s and progressed through the youth ranks, being named academy player of the season in 2016/17.

It was that campaign that saw him make a breakthrough into the first team. Aged 17, he made his senior debut on November 26th in a 2-0 win over Sunderland.

Three days later he created history by scoring in the Reds’ 2-0 EFL Cup quarter-final victory against Leeds United, becoming Liverpool’s youngest ever goalscorer at 17 years and 45 days and beating Michael Owen’s record.

It didn’t take long for international recognition to come. Eligible for both Wales and England, then manager Chris Coleman called Ben up to the Dragons’ squad for a World Cup qualifying match against Republic of Ireland. An unused substitute for that game, he would make an instant impact in his debut a few months later, scoring a long-range winner in a World Cup qualifying match at home to Austria.

His performances earned him a nomination for the European Golden Boy awards, given by sports journalists to players aged 21 and under who have been most impressive in a calendar year, however, he would lose out to winner Kylian Mbappe.

The following season saw another Golden Boy nomination and the captaincy for Liverpool U19s UEFA Youth League campaign. The accolades kept stacking up after being named BBC Wales’ Young Sportsman of the Year.

A series of loan spells were next as Ben went out to gain more first team experience at Sheffield United, Oxford United and Blackpool, and he now begins the next chapter of his career in Gorgie.

Speaking to the Official Hearts Website, manager Robbie Neilson said: “I’m really pleased that we’ve got this one over the line. Ben is a top class player with Premier League and international experience and he was really eager to join us.

“He’s an exciting player, one who I think will fit really well into our style of play. He’s quick, direct and can bring us different options in the final third.

“I’m looking forward to working with him and I hope that he will be a success here at Hearts.”

Sporting Director Joe Savage said: “Everyone is delighted to get Ben on board for the season, and I’d like to thank Liverpool for their help in getting this deal done.

“Ben’s development has been in an environment where he was surrounded by world-class football players, so to have him here at Hearts is very exciting.

“We’ve always said we wanted to bring in quality over quantity and I think this signing is another example of that.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what Ben can do in a maroon shirt and I hope that the fans enjoy watching him play.”[/article]

Pundit slams Ben Davies for Sheffield United debut but Blades fans told to remain positive
[article]On-loan Liverpool defender Ben Davies had to be 'stronger' to prevent Huddersfield's dramatic winner on his Sheffield United debut.

That was the frank verdict of former England international forward Dean Ashton
who feels the Blades still have reasons to be positive despite a poor start to the season.

Davies joined Sheffield United on loan from Liverpool earlier this week and was handed his debut in a back three at Bramall Lane.

But he was unable to prevent Huddersfield from emerging from South Yorkshire as 2-1 winners and Ashton felt the 26-year-old was culpable for Levi Colwill's stoppage time winning goal.

"I am sorry but, Ben Davies, you have to be stronger than that," Ashton told EFL on Quest.

"[Harry] Toffolo just shoved him out of the way and it was very tight but Colwill was definitely behind him.

"You have got to be stronger than that."

The Blades are still searching for their first league win under new manager Slavisa Jokanovic and despite being pre-season favourites for promotion, United find themselves in the Championship relegation zone after the opening four matches.

Nonetheless, Ashton is confident Jokanovic, who has Championship promotions with Watford and Fulham on his CV, will turn things around.

"No," he replied when asked if he is panicking about Sheffield United.

"If you look at the overall performance they were brilliant.

"They had 71% possession and 31 crosses into the box. The quality has to be better but the forwards' runs have got to be a lot better.

"You have got four forwards here and 35-year-old Billy Sharp has come on to get you a goal.

"Something has to change and the confidence levels need to improve.

"But if he was a Sheffield United fan, I would be happy with the performance."[/article]

Leighton Clarkson debut assessed after Blackburn Rovers loanee performs in unexpected role

[article]It might not have been the result he had yearned but a home debut at the venue he cherished through his childhood years for the club he loves is a special occasion, regardless of defeat.

Leighton Clarkson made his much-anticipated Blackburn Rovers debut on Saturday against West Brom, coming into Tony Mowbray's team at the expense of Tyrhys Dolan.

As far as Championship contests are concerned, the visit of Valerien Ismael's side is arguably the most difficult in the division, their abrasive and intensive style permitting opposition only small windows of opportunity to exhibit their skill in possession, and Clarkson could only complete seven passes in total.

And yet, in the midst of continued long ball exchanges, Rovers supporters were treated to several divine touches, the creation of two chances and a sumptuous, outside of the boot cross - of which Ben Brereton should have converted - from their new recruit.

It was an altered role from his more natural pivot position, not so much a false nine but more of a false ten, operating as the most advanced midfielder with the intention of inheriting any knock-downs from the striking duo of Brereton and Sam Gallagher and drifting into wider spaces when Rovers attacked.

He would occasionally drop deep to inherit possession, showcased great composure when on the ball and demonstrated his competitive edge by helping his team in the tackle; enough to prompt excitement as to how the 19-year-old will fare this season.

Given Harvey Elliott's success in the previous campaign, Clarkson has a reputation to live up to but given his strong affiliation with the club, there'll be little to doubt his commitment to the cause.

Mowbray was happy with the performance of his sole summer recruit and explained the reasons behind deploying Clarkson in an advanced role, rather than Joe Rothwell or John Buckley.

"It wasn't exactly the ideal game for Leighton but because there were so many second balls, we just tried to fill the space between midfield and the front and the midfield and the back, so we had extra men in those areas," stated Mowbray.

"Leighton, you could see those flashes every now and then, that great ball with the outside of his foot demonstrates his quality but in hindsight it may not have been the game to throw him in.

"I just thought with a little bit of quality he might have picked a hole or slipped someone in behind."
[/article]

Build up to the goal started @1:39 (Nice strike by Ledson with build up @1:18)

From scoring an OG to scoring his first career goal in senior football :)

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/preston-north-end-player-ratings-21393116
[article]Sepp van den Berg - 8

Played in the central back-three and coped well on the whole. Some suggestion he put Morecambe's first in but it was given to Anthony O'Connor. Dealt with the physical threat when he needed to and then enjoyed the moment he had been waiting for, when he scored the fourth goal and celebrated in front of a wild away end.[/article]

[article]
Van den Berg is new to playing in front of the PNE fans, having first joined on loan last January when games were being played behind closed doors.

Moments like his, celebrating in a crowd of Preston fans spilling onto the pitch, is what it is all about for the Dutchman.

He said: "It was a good game to watch and to play in. I think they did well, they pressed us for the whole game.

"We played better - from 2-0 to 2-2 and then winning, it's a good game and with the fans it was perfect. We got the win and that's all that matters.

"I knew before the game that the away stand was sold out so I knew it was going to be a good game, especially with Ledson's goal and then my goal they were just going crazy.

"It was unbelievable.

"Celebrating with the fans was what it was all about, especially playing towards them and coming from 2-2.

"We have to be honest, it was not good from us and we had to secure the game.

"But coming from 2-2 and celebrating with the fans, it's what it's all about."

The 19-year-old scored his first goal for PNE, turning home fellow wing back Greg Cunningham's cross to confirm their place in the third round.

It's all vital experience for the Liverpool loanee who was hoping to have contributed to a goal before now.

"Finally! I was waiting last year for maybe an assist and then a goal but now I've got my first goal," he said.

"Hopefully there's many more to come.

"It's more experience and with the fans being back, it's good to get used to people shouting at you and celebrating with you.

"Playing every game, scoring too now, I'll take it all with me and hopefully keep going like this."[/article]

Last edited:
Build up to the goal started @1:39 (Nice strike by Ledson with build up @1:18)

From scoring an OG to scoring his first career goal in senior football :)

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/preston-north-end-player-ratings-21393116
[article]Sepp van den Berg - 8

Played in the central back-three and coped well on the whole. Some suggestion he put Morecambe's first in but it was given to Anthony O'Connor. Dealt with the physical threat when he needed to and then enjoyed the moment he had been waiting for, when he scored the fourth goal and celebrated in front of a wild away end.[/article]

[article]
Van den Berg is new to playing in front of the PNE fans, having first joined on loan last January when games were being played behind closed doors.

Moments like his, celebrating in a crowd of Preston fans spilling onto the pitch, is what it is all about for the Dutchman.

He said: "It was a good game to watch and to play in. I think they did well, they pressed us for the whole game.

"We played better - from 2-0 to 2-2 and then winning, it's a good game and with the fans it was perfect. We got the win and that's all that matters.

"I knew before the game that the away stand was sold out so I knew it was going to be a good game, especially with Ledson's goal and then my goal they were just going crazy.

"It was unbelievable.

"Celebrating with the fans was what it was all about, especially playing towards them and coming from 2-2.

"We have to be honest, it was not good from us and we had to secure the game.

"But coming from 2-2 and celebrating with the fans, it's what it's all about."

The 19-year-old scored his first goal for PNE, turning home fellow wing back Greg Cunningham's cross to confirm their place in the third round.

It's all vital experience for the Liverpool loanee who was hoping to have contributed to a goal before now.

"Finally! I was waiting last year for maybe an assist and then a goal but now I've got my first goal," he said.

"Hopefully there's many more to come.

"It's more experience and with the fans being back, it's good to get used to people shouting at you and celebrating with you.

"Playing every game, scoring too now, I'll take it all with me and hopefully keep going like this."[/article]

He is starting to look less like a 12-year-old that was put on a stretching machine. He seems to have bulked up a good bit.

Might come good?

Davies signed for Premier League club Liverpool on 1 February 2021 on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee,[33] reported to be an initial fee of £500,000, plus £1.1 million in performance-related add-ons. - Wiki

Another reason why he's never played for us.

Interesting that a couple of them think he could grow into a DM role - i don't know much about him but if he reads the game well, is bulking up and has some good passing & tackling on him then maybe he has potential to be a future Fabinho (who also started as a RB I believe?)
Well we signed him as a CB, but yeah, the more strings to his bow, the better. Sounds like he's developing a swagger that was far from being in evidence when thrown on in cup games for us.

[article]Rhys Williams is excited by the chance to showcase the confidence and experience gained from his breakthrough at Liverpool during his loan spell at Swansea City.

The 20-year centre-back has joined the Swans for the remainder of the 2021-22 season, subject to international clearance.

The move comes on the back of a 2020-21 campaign where Williams – who has Welsh family connections made 19 appearances for the Reds and impressed amidst their well-documented defensive injury crisis.

Six of those outings came in the Champions League, while he also started the final five games of the Premier League season as Jurgen Klopp’s side secured a top-four finish in the run-in.

His performances were highly praised by the German manager, and Williams is ready to bring those experiences to SA1 as he eyes regular football under head coach Russell Martin.

“I am buzzing, I have heard nothing but good things about the club and the manager from a few of the lads back at Liverpool, so I am delighted to be here,” said Williams, who played in a 4-2 win at Old Trafford last term, as well as against a Tottenham side featuring Harry Kane and Son Heung-min.

“I am looking forward to getting some good results on the board and keeping us moving forward.

“I spoke to a few players about it, and they all spoke so highly of the football and the place itself, it’s a club with a good history behind it.

“I was keen to come here, it was one of the places I wanted to come to because of the football they play.

“I believe it will stand me in good stead for next season.

“Obviously last season was important for me. No-one could have been prepared for last season, especially me, with all the injuries suffered by centre-backs.

“The last five games of last season were described as five finals so I knew if I could do something good there, I would have put myself in good stead.

“It was a once in a lifetime experience and I hope I can take what I learned and show that here. I have played against some good players, and every game comes with a different challenge, so I hope that shows in my time here.

“I am looking for regular football and I hope I can find that here at Swansea.”

Williams knows the likes of Ethan Laird, Morgan Whittaker and Joel Latibeaudiere from his time in the England age-grade set-up.

And he becomes the first Liverpool player to make a loan switch to Swansea since his former Reds’ academy product Rhian Brewster.

Striker Brewster made a big impact with his 11 goals in 22 appearances and, while Williams’ contribution will inevitably be different in nature, he would love to make a similar impression at his new club.

“If I get anywhere near as many goals as Rhian did that would be a miracle,” said the defender with a chuckle.

“But I hope I can make the same impact because he did brilliantly when he came here.

“It’s also been a big influence for me to see some of my friends like Neco Williams and Curtis Jones go straight into the first team at Liverpool, it made me think I wanted a piece of that.

“Then it was seeing the calibre of players I would hopefully one day play alongside, that’s been a big motivation for me to try and get to that level."[/article]

Last edited:

[article]Queen’s Park FC have today announced the loan signing from Liverpool of 20-year-old forward Luis Longstaff.

Luis is a product of the Newcastle United Academy and joined Liverpool in 2015. Capped by England U16s and U17s, Luis has played midfield, winger and centre forward roles and made his senior team debut in a League Cup tie at Aston Villa in December 2019.

Last season he made 23 appearances for Liverpool U23s scoring 4 goals.

After completing the loan formalities, Luis said: “I’m delighted to be here. Everyone at the club has made me very welcome since I arrived, and I can’t wait to get started”.

The club would like to thank Liverpool FC for their assistance with this loan.[/article]

[article]Millwall Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Sheyi Ojo on a season-long loan from Liverpool.

The 24-year-old winger joins The Lions from Jurgen Klopp's Anfield outfit for the remainder of the 2021/22 campaign, becoming Gary Rowett's sixth signing of the summer transfer window.

Ojo made his professional debut whilst on loan at Wigan Athletic, before going on to enjoy a further loan spell at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

His first game for The Reds came in an Emirates FA Cup tie at Exeter City - one which was drawn 2-2 - with Ojo finding the net on his Anfield debut in the replay as Liverpool won 3-0. He then went on to make three further Cup appearances on top of eight in the Premier League before Fulham, Reims and Glasgow Rangers came calling for his services on loan, gaining Europa League experience at the latter.

Ojo spent the 2020/21 season at Cardiff City, bolstering his Championship involvement ahead of the current campaign with The Lions.[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom