• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool vs Man City (H) Sunday 4:30pm - title decider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to win.

If anything, just to knock their confidence ahead of a tough run of games they have.

We are currently the stronger side (given their injuries) so it's all the more important we win whilst they are vulnerable. They obviously have a strong attack still, but their defence is all over the place. Other teams don't have much of the ball to exploit that. We will have more than most, especially 2nd half, like in the Comm shield, when their pressing/tactical fouls usually drop off. If the game is still in the balance around 65mins, i'd expect us to get stronger and win late again.

The game against them last year at Anfield was the difference. This year, we can't allow it to be. If we draw at Anfield, we have to win or draw at the Etihad. If we win at Anfield, then the Etihad is a free hit and they are under pressure to win that.

We need to win.

If anything, just to knock their confidence ahead of a tough run of games they have.

We are currently the stronger side (given their injuries) so it's all the more important we win.

The game against them last year at Anfield was the difference. This year, we can't allow it to be. If we draw at Anfield, we have to win or draw at the Etihad. If we win at Anfield, then the Etihad is a free hit and they are under pressure to win that.
Actually I think that 2cms the ball failed to cross at the Etihad was the difference ;)

The answer to the question in the thread title is "No" with a capital "N". A win would certainly be important, but this game alone will not "decide the title".

Klopp will assess the squad on Saturday and if Hendo can prove that he's 100% he will definitely start. Based on yesterday's performance I'm not sure Ox is ready. Yes he scored and he's looking a lot better but he's still wasting possession and making the wrong decisions. It looks like he still hasn't got the hang of the position he's playing. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind if he starts but I don't see us springing any surprises.

Last edited:
If Lovren plays then Aguero will have at least one scoring chance which he will probably take so we'll need to score two or three. I hope we score early and go from there.

If Lovren plays then Aguero will have at least one scoring chance which he will probably take so we'll need to score two or three. I hope we score early and go from there.
We're conceding one in every three shots in target this season.

That's an awful stat, & one reason why is suspect we may try to play a more defensive game than we usually do, to restrict the number of shots they actually get.

Yeah I'd rather start with Gomez. His pace will be more valuable to us vs City.

Our set pieces will be real weapon for us which might be a good reason for starting Lovren since he's better in the air than Gomez and more likely to score.

Picking Gomez at the moment would be a triumph of hope over experience anyway IMO. Dodgy as Lovren can be, and though I understand the arguments for replacing him with Gomez, that's a risk I wouldn't take at this point.

Unless he suffers an injury (he's gotta be coming up to his games in a row maximum soon!), Lovren is definitely starting this one.

Whether we fans agree, Klopp has always had a lot of faith in Lovren, esp in games against top sides.

We're conceding one in every three shots in target this season.

That's an awful stat, & one reason why is suspect we may try to play a more defensive game than we usually do, to restrict the number of shots they actually get.

Remember when Ming used to concede from the first shot on target every week?

1/3 would have been great

I know we don't play for draws but we really need to stay compact and focus on defending deep(ish) in our half and look to break rather than playing at 100 MPH

I know we don't play for draws but we really need to stay compact and focus on defending deep(ish) in our half and look to break rather than playing at 100 MPH

I don't think we do. I think if we sit and allow them to get among us, that's where we'll concede. Teams have shown if we let them get numbers forward we struggle. The best thing we can do is what we do best, hit them hard and relentlessly until they cave in. We can then control the tempo and put our foot on the gas, I don't think you can play a particularly patient game against City, you have to just rattle them.

I don't think we do. I think if we sit and allow them to get among us, that's where we'll concede. Teams have shown if we let them get numbers forward we struggle. The best thing we can do is what we do best, hit them hard and relentlessly until they cave in. We can then control the tempo and put our foot on the gas, I don't think you can play a particularly patient game against City, you have to just rattle them.

Let them over commit, once we nick the ball off them we can be 2 on 2 with their makeshift CB's....they'll be left exposed.

Let them over commit, once we nick the ball off them we can be 2 on 2 with their makeshift CB's....they'll be left exposed.

It's not really about over-committing though, it's that their more attacking players can get into dangerous areas of the pitch and do damage, I didn't mean letting them go gungho, they don't have to, they have enough players who can create chances without throwing too many bodies forward. The key is to get at them and put them on the back foot. As great as VVD and Fabinho are, they're not infallible, if City get regular possession in our half they will create, if we force them to defend in numbers, they're less likely to do damage.

I'd rather risk them on the break and have a plan in place for that, than give them too much respect.

I see Pep has clarified his Mane diving comment and praised us, Klopp and our spirit.

Anyone else think our lack of clean sheets might be a blessing in disguise? Klopp will know we need to score given we won’t keep them goalless, get the first goal and then they will he forced to start leaving gaps.

Fabs to man mark Bernardo, Gini to mark KDB. Will be very interesting tactical match up.

i predict tentative first 25 mins that turns into chaotic end to end stuff like the spurs game. 3-2 win in big score draw.

Anyone else think our lack of clean sheets might be a blessing in disguise? Klopp will know we need to score given we won’t keep them goalless, get the first goal and then they will he forced to start leaving gaps.

Fabs to man mark Bernardo, Gini to mark KDB. Will be very interesting tactical match up.

i predict tentative first 25 mins that turns into chaotic end to end stuff like the spurs game. 3-2 win in big score draw.

Eh? Klopp will 100% want to win the game so will set us up to score regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom