• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool - Villareal pre match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd rather come fourth than win the Europa League?

This season it would be great to win a trophy, of course. But if we came 8th every season and won the Europa League, or another lesser domestic cup, then that's not progress. So yes.

This season it would be great to win a trophy, of course. But if we came 8th every season and won the Europa League, or another lesser domestic cup, then that's not progress. So yes.
Nor is coming 4th every season, but at least winning a trophy is achieving something.

It's a very short-term achievement though. Reaching the CL places on a consistent basis - while not enough by itself - at least puts you in a position to make real progress, by (a) getting you more prize money and (b) attracting better players. Winning cups every once in a while will never do that.

It's a very short-term achievement though. Reaching the CL places on a consistent basis - while not enough by itself - at least puts you in a position to make real progress, by (a) getting you more prize money and (b) attracting better players. Winning cups every once in a while will never do that.
Europa League gets you into the Champions League for a start, but regardless, i'd always choose a season with a trophy over a season without one.

At this stage of season we cant really choice so I assume everyone would rather win Euro League and be number 8 than sacrifying the EL for a potential 6th place. All the other bollocks is about arguing with idiots Who anyway drag you to their level and beat you on experience!!!

Count, Mystic: that's uncharacteristically superficial from both of you. The problem with the Arse isn't getting into the CL places - it's Wenger refusing to use the immense advantages in terms of finance and status that their consistency has given them. They've won cups too and that's made not the slightest bit of difference.

Insignificance: now that we are where we are, of course we should go Hell for leather for the EL. Prioritising it when we still had a chance of a CL place, on the other hand, would have been daft.

Europa League gets you into the Champions League for a start, but regardless, i'd always choose a season with a trophy over a season without one.

We've done this a million times. Trophies are what counts but I wouldn't accept 8th every season plus a cup. Progress in the league is a sign of quality and improvement and we have to get back into the Champions League via league position and then look at how to win the title

Because that's the only trophy that really matters to Liverpool fans right now.

Count, Mystic: that's uncharacteristically superficial from both of you. The problem with the Arse isn't getting into the CL places - it's Wenger refusing to use the immense advantages in terms of finance and status that their consistency has given them. They've won cups too and that's made not the slightest bit of difference.

Insignificance: now that we are where we are, of course we should go Hell for leather for the EL. Prioritising it when we still had a chance of a CL place, on the other hand, would have been daft.
Getting into the Champions league spot should not be viewed as success and just as Arsenal have proved that consistently achieving it is not a guarantee of success Leicester in the most unlikely circumstances have proven that it is not a prerequisite for it.
We should and it should always be our aim, to go into every competition with the intention of winning it.
I don't believe in turning up my nose at any success.

Getting into the Champions league spot should not be viewed as success and just as Arsenal have proved that consistently achieving it is not a guarantee of success Leicester in the most unlikely circumstances have proven that it is not a prerequisite for it.
We should and it should always be our aim, to go into every competition with the intention of winning it.
I don't believe in turning up my nose at any success.
Not success, but a successful step in the plan towards world domination. Or just PL domination, then world domination.

Count: not turning up our noses, no, but prioritising is a very different matter. We don't enter any competition in isolation and we shouldn't behave as if we do.

Not success, but a successful step in the plan towards world domination. Or just PL domination, then world domination.
As I keep saying, consistently getting into Champions league spots, while welcome, is no guaranteed stepping stone to success and shouldn't be viewed as it.

Count: not turning up our noses, no, but prioritising is a very different matter. We don't enter any competition in isolation and we shouldn't behave as if we do.
I agree there is a tough balancing act and no single competition can be viewed in isolation, bar perhaps a realistic title challenge but I can't help shake the feeling that in the case of the Europa League in particular some people are hardly arsed.
Which would have a more positive impact on potential European player that we are targeting, a Europa League win or a forth place finish in the Premier League?

As I keep saying, consistently getting into Champions league spots, while welcome, is no guaranteed stepping stone to success and shouldn't be viewed as it.

Without achieving that consistency, though, you can pretty much guarantee you won't build long-term success.

I agree there is a tough balancing act and no single competition can be viewed in isolation, bar perhaps a realistic title challenge but I can't help shake the feeling that in the case of the Europa League in particular some people are hardly arsed.
Which would have a more positive impact on potential European player that we are targeting, a Europa League win or a forth place finish in the Premier League?

Neither. What will is figuring consistently in the CL.

Without achieving that consistency, though, you can pretty much guarantee you won't build long-term success.
It could also be argued that consistently competing and being successful in other competitions is also a way of instilling belief and a willing mentality which also contributes to long term success.

Count: in theory, perhaps. In practice I suspect being known as primarily a Cup side would at best leave our longer-term prospects untouched and, at worst, could actively harm them.

Count: in theory, perhaps. In practice I suspect being known as primarily a Cup side would at best leave our longer-term prospects untouched and, at worst, could actively harm them.
Mate, I am not advocating being simply a cup side and I crave the title as much as any fan.
There is a balance and I simply cannot go along with the view that it is acceptable to disregard all other competitions in favour of finishing forth in the Premier league.
That might not be your attitude but it does seem to be taking root in places and I would hate for us to become this.
Success is success is success.

You mean like Arsenal?

They've paid for their stadium. Qualified or the CL and won a few trophies recently.

I think the attempt to mock them is a bit weak. Especially when we've been a midtable club for most of the last few years.

They've paid for their stadium. Qualified or the CL and won a few trophies recently.

I think the attempt to mock them is a bit weak. Especially when we've been a midtable club for most of the last few years.
You mistake me.
I am not mocking them but saying that there version of succces is not mine

You mistake me.
I am not mocking them but saying that there version of succces is not mine

Your likers probably did as well.

I don't really rate the FA cup either. But they've still been more successful than us recently

I don't really rate the FA cup either. But they've still been more successful than us recently
They haven't finished any higher that third in twelve seasons or lower than forth.
Whether they have been successful or not is a matter of opinion but they certainly have been consistant

I just don't think the champions league is important as it once was for attracting players, it's all about the money, and we have more than enough of it to spend to get the players we need. Basically there's no excuse to not considerably improve the squad because we're not in the top four, and I'd rather win a trophy than not.

I'd much rather their last ten years than ours, but I'd have wanted much more if I was an Arsenal fan, just like I've wanted much much more as a Liverpool fan.

Get what you're saying in your last but one post, but I don't agree. Top players (and even the likes of Lukaku who haven't quite earned that title yet) routinely say they want CL football. Besides, other clubs have money too, some more than we do, and those with better prospects of success - as demonstrated principally by participation in the CL - have a head start in those circs.

I'd much rather their last ten years than ours, but I'd have wanted much more if I was an Arsenal fan, just like I've wanted much much more as a Liverpool fan.
We have both been beaten champions league finalists in those ten years.
They won two FA Cups, us one and a League Cup.
We actually came close to winning the title twice while they flattered to deceive pretty much every year.
There isn't that much in it as neither club have been particularly successful in that period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom