• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v PSG (18.09.18 KO 20:00)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't imagine we will be playing our current 'first team'. PSG will since the French league is a doddle for them.

---------------------Alisson--------------
--- Clyne --- Gomez --- VvD ---- Robbo
--------------------Fabinho---------------
------Lallana-----------------Gini----------
----Shaq-------Sturridge -----Mane---------

I think Gomez may stay at CB for his pace and then Matip replace him for the weekend if he needs resting.
I simply can't bring myself to put in Moreno for Robbo but Klopp might.

We're going to lose.

I don't imagine we will be playing our current 'first team'. PSG will since the French league is a doddle for them.

I think Gomez may stay at CB for his pace and then Matip replace him for the weekend if he needs resting.

We're going to lose.

You surely can't be serious Froggers.

We're going to lose.

We will be playing our best team Froggy.

Yup. Klopp may rotate certain players but it won't be a b-side.

I get the need for pragmatism - it's only the group stage after all - but this a glamour tie with everyone watching. We need to be at our best.

Let's learn the lessons of Rodgers + Real Madrid and pay it the respect it deserves.

Lol yeah he will defo field a weak team In the first fucking champions League match of the season against PSG at Anfield

We will be playing our best team Froggy.
You surely can't be serious Froggers.
Lol yeah he will defo field a weak team In the first fucking champions League match of the season against PSG at Anfield

We will be playing our best side versus Spurs, PSG is just 3 days later ... I don't see any way Klopp is not going to rotate for that with Saints 4 days after that then Chelsea (LC). Then comes a bastard of a run with 3 days later Chelsea (A) in the PL then Napoli (A) 4 days later followed by City (A) 4 days after that. 3 very tough games in 9 days.

We will need to use our squad to the maximum and ensure we are keeping players fresh. I think it will be the 'B' team vs Chelsea at Anfield in the LC but where else are we to rest players ? Napoli away is more important than PSG at home and bar Chelsea (LC) and PSG (H) we can't afford to lose if we want to win the PL (a little hyperbole permitted here) and qualify for the CL last 16.

I see the matches we can rotate in as being PSG (H), Saints (H) but only a little, and Chelsea (LC). Besides which the team I posted is hardly weak ! Some may say it strengthens in two positions (RB, DM) and Shaqiri would be a starter for most teams that don't have Salah and Mane ! Only real question marks / weakening is Lallana and Sturridge and Studge has been playing well. The defence is virtually unaltered and Fabinho has played against PSG many times and knows them far better than Hendo. It's far from being a weak team by any means.

The starting 11 will undoubtedly rotate through this period Froggy but if the side you predicted takes to the field on Tuesday night I will run to the halfway line wearing nothing more than a smile.

So PSG rested Neymar and Buffon in the last league game against Saint-Etienne and were also without the suspended Mbappe, but still ran out comfortable 4:0 winners. Not sure this game is very useful in telling us anything about them, but anyway here are the highlights:

From the more extended version of the highlights I watched earlier, their defense seemed to lose concentration at times, but the Saint-Etienne couldn't convert their chances. PSG's midfield 3 was Lass Diarra-Verratti-Rabiot.

I'm looking forward to finding out what kind of crazy tactic Tuchel came up with for this game. I've seen journalists describe him and Klopp as "friends," but I think I can feel some tension and rivalry between the two and their respective personalities couldn't be more different. Given how uncompetitive the French league is for PSG, I'm sure he's been planning his move for weeks.

Last edited:
I think Klopp should do some small changes against PSG. Kinda important to get a home win against the top ranked team in the group.

Potential changes:
Shaqiri could start for either Salah or Mane.
Fabinho should definitely start considering his time in France.
Sturridge for Firmino, especially since he damaged his eye.
This is a tough one but I might just swap Van Dijk for Matip. He's played 90 mins twice for his national team and again against Spurs.
Both fullbacks could do with a rest as well.

As for Klopp's tactics, frankly I have no idea what he is going to do. He tends to stick with the same system/lineup for some time until he doesn't – and it's always very hard to predict when the switch is going to come. He could easily name an unchanged team despite a relatively short rest – the argument would be that Spurs was the best performance of the season and so early in the season fatigue shouldn't be a question. Or he could try to pre-empt Tuchel's tactical antics and try something completely different, like a double-pivot of Fabinho and Hendo with Shaqiri at #10, for instance. Or have Salah play up front with Mane and Firmino providing better work-rate on the flanks. There is also a question of Firmino's eye injury throwing an extra layer of unpredictability (and I'm sure Klopp won't be eager to clear it up for the opponents).

The thing that worries me about PSG is obviously the world-class quality of Neymar and Mbappe cutting in from the left and right respectively. For all their diligence, Robbo and Trent won't be able to stop them 1 on 1 – they will always need to have cover and since Cavani is such a handful and there will be the likes of Rabiot or perhaps Draxler or Di Maria making runs from midfield, I'd rather keep both CBs in the middle at all times and not let them be dragged out wide. Which in turn will mean that 2 of our CMs will have to be very switched on defensively, effectively playing as double-pivot when defending even if we do our usual 4-3-3 in possession.

So which of our midfielders are better at following speedy, insanely tricky players and sticking the foot in without giving up fouls in dangerous areas? All of them have their strong points: Hendo can cover lots of space and produce accurate long passes to wings, Gini is tactically intelligent and strong on the ball, Keita is great at interceptions and can turn defense into attack, Milner is tireless and a no-nonsense defender who is also our assist king in CL. In terms of weaknesses, Hendo's passing becomes erratic under high press, Gini is not a great tackler, Keita is a full package in theory but so far hasn't quite recovered his best form of the Leipzig days and Milner can be rash in his challenges. If I had to choose 2 midfielders who are best equipped to keep pace with Neymar and Mbappe, it will probably be Henderson and Keita. And I would stick Milner in the #8 role further forward (with Keita helping out on occasion) since his opportunistic high pressing and tackling can lead to chances and goals for our front 3, as has been already the case this season.

So my midfield for PSG would be:

-----------------------Milner (everywhere)
---<<Keita (keeping an eye on Mbappe)
----------------Hendo>> (keeping an eye on Neymar)

Last edited:
Alisson

Trent
VVD
Gomez
Robertson

Henderson
Gini
Keita

Mane
Salah
Firmino

I think we will see more changes in the next league game.

I think Klopp should do some small changes against PSG. Kinda important to get a home win against the top ranked team in the group.

Potential changes:
This is a tough one but I might just swap Van Dijk for Matip. He's played 90 mins twice for his national team and again against Spurs.
Agree with all of those (and Hendo & Clyne coming in). Whatever the outcome of this match it won't matter when we lift the trophy next May.

Gomez has proved he can handle Neymar. My worry is Mbappe. Other than that i fully expect them to be overwhelmed by the atmosphere and collapse Roma style. I am expecting a 5-1 or 6-1 thrashing of them. I am committed to this.
MORON

Fack. Just found out some new internet only paid subscription channel Carrie's the exclusive license for European matches in Canada now. Not sure if pubs are carrying it. Don't need another bill!

Potential changes:

So 6 changes? You're mad!

Becker
Trent
Gomez
VVD
Robertson
Fabhino
Henderson
Gini
Salah
Mane
Shaqiri

Rotate more for Southampton.

I think this game is a nice time to play them... granted they got to rest up in their shit league and we didn't but that said...

Yes it could go badly but...

Imagine if our front 3 get tired of hearing such lovely things being said about our defenders and decide to tear some frogs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom