• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Reserves & Youth Team Goals/Highlights

[article]Liverpool U21 coach Barry Lewtas says they're stepping up Oakley Cannonier's progress this season.

The striker, 18, struck a memorable hat-trick in midweek as the Reds' under-19 side continued an impressive start to their UEFA Youth League campaign with a 4-0 triumph over Ajax at Kirkby.

The 18-year-old had notched the winner in the 2-1 victory at Napoli the previous week, with his strike in last season's round of 16 tie against Genk meaning he has now scored five times in his last four games in the competition.

With Europe having been identified as an arena where Cannonier can gain valuable experience and minutes, his continued impact has been particularly instructive.

"That extra step up is a step up but he's finding his way and it's really nice," Lewtas, who is taking charge of Liverpool's UEFA Youth League team this season, told the Liverpool Echo. "I felt like last season when we played Jarell Quansah and Billy Koumetio together at centre-back in the 19s, it showcased their talents. It's Oakley's turn this year.

"Sometimes when you move up it can be difficult and it's the same for Oakley. He trains very well, we've known he's going to play these games and he took his goals really well. We're really pleased with him."[/article]

[article]Ben Doak's record-breaking debut for Scotland's under-21s came as no surprise to his international manager Scot Gemmill, as the Liverpool youngster continued his impressive start to the season with a fine display during the 3-1 victory over Northern Ireland.

Doak, who made the move from Scottish giants Celtic to Anfield earlier this year for a fee of £600,000, has wasted no time in impressing those at the club's Kirkby-based academy as he's been a standout performer for the young Reds both domestically and in the UEFA Youth League.

Having already fired four goals for his new club, including the winner against Napoli U19s earlier this month, the 16-year-old was rewarded for his excellent form with a promotion to Scotland's U21s side for the first of their back-to-back friendlies against Northern Ireland this week.

The attacker was given his debut for Gemmill's side after 31 minutes, having initially started on the substitutes' bench as forward Lewis Neilson was forced off with a hamstring injury, and found the net just seven minutes later with a trademark drive into the box before coolly finding the back of the net.

Though for his manager, who had the privilege of working with Doak for the first time during this week's camp, his impressive performance wasn't at all surprising.

"I've seen Ben play so I wasn't surprised at what he can do," said Gemmill after the victory. "He's really exciting. I wasn't surprised, but it is always good to see it happen. There were good things and there were things that we know we need to correct.

"There was a bit of everything. The new players needed to take their opportunities because there are no guarantees in the future.

"I told them that before the game. They had to show what they can do. They have to go and show they can be trusted and are willing to do the work.

"I thought their application was good. Of course, there were things in the game that we need to fix and we can help them with and we will."

Doak became Scotland's second youngest player to appear at the U21 level, with former Chelsea and Celtic prodigy Islam Feruz's record of 16 years, seven months and 15 days still unbroken. Though the Liverpool man did become the youngest scorer for the side, and such a feat could see him rewarded with a start in the second instalment of the clash with the Green and White Army on Sunday afternoon.

It is expected that Doak will pen professional terms with Liverpool upon turning 17 in November, in what will be the latest milestone of his exciting career thus far.
[/article]

Oakley Cannonier and Corness, I’ve watched a couple of times in games past, seem to be doing good :) from the little I know :)

Last edited:
Oakley Cannonnier and Corness I’ve watched a couple of times in games past, seem to be doing good :) from the little I know :)
Cannonier got 41 goals last season for the u18s. Seems to be scoring every game this season too. Wonder if they considered sending him on loan.

Ben Doak and Cannonier seem to score every game. Need to send both out on loan next year.

Cannonier got 41 goals last season for the u18s. Seems to be scoring every game this season too. Wonder if they considered sending him on loan playing him upfront instead of Nunez.

Fixed.

It's interesting as Ajax is famed for its academy system and production line of talent. We clearly have some very talented young players, do we fail to turn them into first teamers due to not giving them opportunities or is there something missing in the coaching that fails to covert that potential into talent.

It's interesting as Ajax is famed for its academy system and production line of talent. We clearly have some very talented young players, do we fail to turn them into first teamers due to not giving them opportunities or is there something missing in the coaching that fails to covert that potential into talent.
Or is it that a) everyone ransacks their team every Summer and b) it's a farmers league not the PL?

Back
Top Bottom