• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Karius

Prefix for Poll Threads

Number 1 next season

• Karius

• New goalie +/- 25 M pricerange

• New goalie +/- 60 M pricerange

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather as others have posted said, get an older keeper in as cover and move Ming on whilst making Ward the keeper for cup games.

Isn't Casillas out of contract this summer? Could fit the bill perfectly

Allison is young and could well take time to adjust to the PL. Look at De Gea who had a very ropey first season for utd. I'm not talking about a few seasons, I think Pope would make an instant impact. He looks like an absolute class act.

Would you replace Karius straight away even if he continues to improve? or might you consider that a betrayal? It´s a tricky Gambol. I do think Pope is an excellent keeper though.

What are his 'errors leading to a goal' stats post Virgil?

Last edited:
Would you replace Karius straight away even if he continues to improve? or might you consider that a betrayal? It´s a tricky Gambol. I do think Pope is an excellent keeper though.

What are his 'errors leading to a goal' stats post Virgil?

I'd say his errors since VvD would definitely be slim to none. In terms of replacing, I'd hang onto Karius, but give him excellent competition. Let the best man win the jersey.

I'm not for spending 70 odd mill on Alisson but signing an excellent older back up keeper would be the way forward.
Someone good enough to compete with Karius and good enough to be our nr 1 if needed.

I'd rather spend money on a top quality centre back, midfielder, winger and striker before putting so much money in a goalkeeper.

If we can get Alisson, I'd buy him to be our number 1 - as I think he's the better GK, who is not far off being elite.

Karius has improved, but he's playing in front of a defensive structure that is giving him little to do in most games. So I don't really look at stats, such as how many clean sheets we've conceded over the last 10 or 15 games, as a lot of the time he's not had much to do.

I look at his GKing within those games & I'd say he's been hit & miss.

His save vs West Ham from Diame was incredible, not sure many other GKs in the league would have made that save. But all GKs in the league do make incredible saves themselves from time to time. Mignolet did for us, but he just made too many errors. His save vs Bolasie was good, but I think Mignolet could have done that himself personally, the length the ball travelled from & it was always going in that corner.

I think Karius is still making errors:

• Penalty vs Kane
  • Vs Sane at Anfield near post
  • Penalty on Zaha vs Palace
  • His punch vs City mid week which thankfully given offside

We're at a position in this LFC side to really push on this summer. That means upgrading the weaker positions in our First team. Lovren & Karius are the two starting points for me & then you look at maybe a Henderson upgrade and so on.

No doubt Karius has improved, as he was woeful last season when used bar the odd game (Southampton in the league cup). But he's playing behind the best defensive structure in the league the last 15 games. He's made a couple of quality saves. But he's still making errors and if we have the chance to get Alisson who is incredible, we'd be foolish to just stick with Karius becomes he has merely improved.

Yesterday he had nothing to do. One save that was right at him. I'm all for giving a player credit when they do well and Karius has got some. But I don't like going above board until they deserve it and Karius is still showing plenty of flaws.

If we ignore the GKing situation again I think it will be a mistake personally. Had enough hoping Mignolet would come good or going cheap with Karius, who was very good value at the time & he was a very good shot stopper in Germany. But his flaws were crossing, his decision making & I still question those weak areas.

Get Alisson, get the other two or three players to upgrade our weaknesses & let's get this title. Now is the time to show real ambition.

KopRed, I think this is based on lazy, false logic. Burnley actually don't face a crazy amount of shots, because they are so defensively strong. De Gea has had to make more saves than Pope this season. Any way you slice the stats, De Gea has been the only player in the PL with comparable stats to Pope.

The key stat for Pope is 'errors leading to a goal'. The answer- 0

This compares with 6 for De Gea, 2 for Ederson, 3 for Pickford, 15 (yes, 15) for Lloris, 24!!! for Cech, 3 for Courtois, 14 for Fabianski, 1 for Butland etc.

I haven't gone through all the PL keepers but he is the only one I can find with this stat.

Once bitten twice shy. We have been bitten twice recently and that's years and years of underachievement with the keeper being a persisting problem. Ming was not good enough, and it seems neither is Karius.

The moment is now if we want to get rid of this problem once and for all. Our stock has never been higher, Allison or Oblak must be tempted looking at the direction we are going. There are loads of top clubs looking for goalies and if we miss out on these top guys, someone else is going to take them.

There is going to be a merry go round of goalies if De Gea or Courtioes move and I don't think any of these top clubs are going for a Pope/Butland/Heaton as their first choice and neither should we.

There is a lot of talk that Arsenal are going to sign Pope. I hope we don't regret not rivalling them for him.

Pope might turn out to be great who knows? I wouldn't be complaining if our scouting team zoom in on him in the end. I mean after the motherload jackpot of Salah and Robertson who could deny them that?

I'm just saying if I am playing the percentages, Allison/Oblak seems a better bet, albeit a lot more expensive.

Pope might turn out to be great who knows? I wouldn't be complaining if our scouting team zoom in on him in the end. I mean after the motherload jackpot of Salah and Robertson who could deny them that?

I'm just saying if I am playing the percentages, Allison/Oblak seems a better bet, albeit a lot more expensive.

As I've said, I'd take Oblak tomorrow, but we're not going to get him. On every statistic Pope looks elite. If you look at that stat above with Allison where he makes 3.36 saves per goal conceded- Pope this season makes 3.86 saves per goal conceded- this in addition to him being statistically the BEST keeper in the league in dealing with high balls makes him a top shot stopper and someone who commands the box. That's rare enough. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Allison commands his box from aerial attack- maybe he does, but I've seen some flappiness in one of his vids. I'm going to start a campaign I think....

De gea stopped it being even worse for utd today, as usual, they'd be mid table the last few years if it wasn't for him. A massive investment in a world class keeper is worth a good 10 points per season.

De gea stopped it being even worse for utd today, as usual, they'd be mid table the last few years if it wasn't for him. A massive investment in a world class keeper is worth a good 10 points per season.

Pope might be a World class keeper. well worth a 30+risk. If Allison has a worldlier WC yo could be looking at 140+

OK- checking the numbers on Nick Pope- he is well at the top of the Opta PL stats for high claims, so is very strong in the air. In that stat of shots that should be expected goals stat that De Gea dominates, he is second only to De Gea in the PL (or was at end of December when De Gea had saved 13 expected goals against Utd and Pope 8. Sweeper clearances he is surprisingly strong despite the compressed game Burnley favour, and is joint sixth, so playing with his feet does not appear to be a weakness. Given he actually has got a chance at Burnely due to a long term injury to Burnley's no. 1, Heaton, Burnley are not going to keep both of these keepers happy, so they should be prepared to do business.
And we can release white smoke out of a chimney when we sign him.

I'd rather as others have posted said, get an older keeper in as cover and move Ming on whilst making Ward the keeper for cup games.

Isn't Casillas out of contract this summer? Could fit the bill perfectly
Would be a more than capable no. 2

1 x GK
1 x CB
1 x CM
1 x CF
I like this but I would give up on getting a CF for getting Ryan Sessengnon in.

In fact with Sessengnon in there are so many options including:

1. Direct swap on the left = Mane rested

2. Move Mane to the right wing, and Ryan Sessengnon on the left = Salah rested

3. Salah in the centre, Mane on the right Sessengnon on the left = Firminio rested

4. Sessengnon at left back = Robertson rested and Moreno sold

This kid is really good unfortunately, I have a feeling it will may take breaking the British record for a teenager to get him.

I agree with @doctor_mac about Pope - he has caught my eye all season. His debut was against us too I recall, and he has been more than solid since.

http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/inde...pool-match-thread.112694/page-19#post-1650419

My general view would be one of two options: 1) If we can get a World Class GK, i'm all in. It would be foolish to miss out. 2) If we can't get someone in the top bracket - stick with #LK1 but bolster the ranks as Ming can be flogged and Ward is nowhere. Pope would be excellent in this regard.

Allison is a one season wonder. Oblak for me. We will probably end up with navas from Madrid

Pope might be a World class keeper. well worth a 30+risk. If Allison has a worldlier WC yo could be looking at 140+
Hey Jason, you having a bad day at the British Milk Council? Don't be so mean to poor old Donna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom