• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Karius

Prefix for Poll Threads

Number 1 next season

• Karius

• New goalie +/- 25 M pricerange

• New goalie +/- 60 M pricerange

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confident Allison is enough of an upgrade over Karius to convince me he's worth a significant outlay. He's been remarkable this year and appears the complete package.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Not sure I want Brazilians called Allison and Bernard.

What happened to cool Brazilian names?

Allison and Bernard sound like they run a B&B in Slough.

Have to agree - do you guys remember Fred from the last world cup ? - fucking hell you knew he was going to be UTTER SHIT - as soon as his name was said.

Alisson Ramses Becker..... RAMSES!

Do we have room for another Egyptian King?

I'm confident Allison is enough of an upgrade over Karius to convince me he's worth a significant outlay. He's been remarkable this year and appears the complete package.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
We've seen how much a top quality keeper can make a difference at United. They haven't played good enough football to be 2nd in the PL but De Gea has had another great season. That's what a top keeper can do for you.

I'm really surprised that the voting is strongly in favour of Karius, fickle aren't we. I've been impressed with his improved form too and he's beginning to look like the BL #2 keeper we signed. However although it would be a little harsh on him we are not in the business of keeping players happy and Allison would be a major upgrade.

On the other hand Roma making the CL semis (as with us making them) could be enough to persuade star players to stick around another season or two to see if there is progression. And it looks like RM / Barca need new keepers too.

We've seen how much a top quality keeper can make a difference at United. They haven't played good enough football to be 2nd in the PL but De Gea has had another great season. That's what a top keeper can do for you.

I'm really surprised that the voting is strongly in favour of Karius, fickle aren't we. I've been impressed with his improved form too and he's beginning to look like the BL #2 keeper we signed. However although it would be a little harsh on him we are not in the business of keeping players happy and Allison would be a major upgrade.

On the other hand Roma making the CL semis (as with us making them) could be enough to persuade star players to stick around another season or two to see if there is progression. And it looks like RM / Barca need new keepers too.

True.
A good performance in the CL would put him out of reach. For the sake of our summer we need to score 8 against Roma in the Finals. Then no one would touch him...

His middle name is Ramses. I think that settles it – poor Loris can't compete with that.

Not sure I want Brazilians called Allison and Bernard.

What happened to cool Brazilian names?

Allison and Bernard sound like they run a B&B in Slough.
If they were in Slough they would be called Gurpreet and Moseen.
Aint no Alisons and Bernards over there.

1 x GK
1 x CB
1 x CM
1 x CF
Make that 2xCM and I agree with that list. We are horrendously short of depth in a number of positions and we don't need just squad filters.
I remember saying that our early exits from the domestic cups was a blessing, and despite the uproar that opinion caused it has been shown to be pretty good call and the truth. We are on thin ice due to injuries as it is.

A wide forward to back up Mane /Salah is important too and maybe in addition to say Werner up front. That's 6 players and that's a lot, too many for Klopp. Maybe Wilson will get a spot but that's too risky.

I would likely stick with Karius based on his recent form and resurgence. Allison seems a pretty special keeper but I doubt we will splash 70+M on a keeper. I could be wrong and Klopp may feel that's the way to go. His not afraid to splash the cash. Any new players coming into the team must be better than what we have already.

Alright - let’s look at this objectively - 3 key issues for me :

- We need a bigger squad with additional quality in a few key areas
- for any current squad player that leaves - we need a replacement
- which fringe/loan players are likely to be involved more in the first team squad or moved on.

Keeper
I’d stick with Karius - move Mingolet on, give Ward a crack in the cup games and potentially look at a veteran keeper to come in to provide cover.

Full Backs
RB we’re sorted.
LB - surely Moreno finds a new home and we bring in someone to compete with Robertson. Bertrand if So’ton go down would be a good addition.

Centre Backs
I’m all for bringing in someone to partner VVD - no idea who.

Midfield
Kieta will be a great addition. If Can goes, he will need replaced. I wouldn’t be looking to move on anyone else - there is a question of whether Gruijic is ready to step up. I like the idea of adding Neves into the mix.

Attacking Midfield
I like OX & Lallana, but this is an area I’d be tempted to spend - again, no idea who though. I’ll go for Lemar since we were hot for him

Forwards
Salad, Mane & Firmino pick themselves - but we need at least 2 additions here. Is Harry Wilson ready to step up and push for a place?

I reckon Solanke needs a loan to get some games. Ings - I’d sell. Not sure about what to do with Origi- ideally he’d come back and back up Firmino - but can’t see that - so let’s get someone in to push Bobby.

For some reason I want Timo Warner - even though I’ve ever seen him play.

So.... Moreno, Mingolet, Ings, Origi and let’s say Can out.

Coming in - Keita, Neves, Bertrand, Warner & Lemar in, with Ward, Wilson & Gruijic to step up.

Anyone interested in Nick Pope at Burnley? He has been really fantastic this season. Has one of these statos crunched his numbers? Might be excellent competition for Karius when Ming moves on, and probably at a much more reasonable price than the likes of Allison or Oblak.

He's done ok to reserve the right to be here next season, but we should still be on the look out for a top keeper. The last few games have shown he's still prone to rash moments and errors, the punch against City, the save he made a meal of yesterday that put it straight back in the danger area. He's an improvement on Mignolet because he's generally calmer and more decisive, but he's young too and has often shown his lack of experience.

Was it Woland who said we should go for an experienced 30+ keeper? It wouldn't be such a bad idea.

OK- checking the numbers on Nick Pope- he is well at the top of the Opta PL stats for high claims, so is very strong in the air. In that stat of shots that should be expected goals stat that De Gea dominates, he is second only to De Gea in the PL (or was at end of December when De Gea had saved 13 expected goals against Utd and Pope 8. Sweeper clearances he is surprisingly strong despite the compressed game Burnley favour, and is joint sixth, so playing with his feet does not appear to be a weakness. Given he actually has got a chance at Burnely due to a long term injury to Burnley's no. 1, Heaton, Burnley are not going to keep both of these keepers happy, so they should be prepared to do business.

We shouldn't get the keepers who face a lot of shots to make them look better than they are. Look at what happened with Ming. With that I do not want Pope, Heaton or Butland, it is 50-50 and there is always a settling period with them. If we want to challenge for the title in the next 2 years then it will be a nono for me.

If we are to replace Karius I would take a Champions League keeper. Allison, Oblak or the likes otherwise we should just invest in other areas.

We shouldn't get the keepers who face a lot of shots to make them look better than they are. Look at what happened with Ming. With that I do not want Pope, Heaton or Butland, it is 50-50 and there is always settling period for them. If we want to challenge for the title in the next 2 years then it will be a nono for me.

If we are to replace Karius I would take a Champions League keeper. Allison, Oblak or the likes otherwise we should just invest in other areas.

KopRed, I think this is based on lazy, false logic. Burnley actually don't face a crazy amount of shots, because they are so defensively strong. De Gea has had to make more saves than Pope this season. Any way you slice the stats, De Gea has been the only player in the PL with comparable stats to Pope.

The key stat for Pope is 'errors leading to a goal'. The answer- 0

This compares with 6 for De Gea, 2 for Ederson, 3 for Pickford, 15 (yes, 15) for Lloris, 24!!! for Cech, 3 for Courtois, 14 for Fabianski, 1 for Butland etc.

I haven't gone through all the PL keepers but he is the only one I can find with this stat.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in Nick Pope at Burnley? He has been really fantastic this season. Has one of these statos crunched his numbers? Might be excellent competition for Karius when Ming moves on, and probably at a much more reasonable price than the likes of Allison or Oblak.
Or ...... we can go for a proven world class keeper who will take us up another level instead of second guessing ourselves as we've done for years. Someone like Allison or Oblak ... oh.

Or ...... we can go for a proven world class keeper who will take us up another level instead of second guessing ourselves as we've done for years. Someone like Allison or Oblak ... oh.

I just don't think Pope is 'second guessing'. Allison is having a similar break through season to Pope, and I actually think would be just as much of a gamble as Pope (if you see it as such), but a gamble that will probably cost a LOT more money. Oblak, I agree, is absolutely proven world class quality, but I don't see it happening. If I could sign any keeper tomorrow, it would be Oblak. But it isn't going to happen. We'll get absolutely rinsed for Allison, who I cannot agree is proven WC quality.

I just don't think Pope is 'second guessing'. Allison is having a similar break through season to Pope, and I actually think would be just as much of a gamble as Pope (if you see it as such), but a gamble that will probably cost a LOT more money. Oblak, I agree, is absolutely proven world class quality, but I don't see it happening. If I could sign any keeper tomorrow, it would be Oblak. But it isn't going to happen. We'll get absolutely rinsed for Allison, who I cannot agree is proven WC quality.
Allison has not only been far and away the top keeper in Italy this season but also in the Champions League. And when is the last time England had a World Class keeper ? Pope may be eventually but he's not even #1 in England yet and may need a few more seasons to get there. We don't have a few more seasons, we need an instant impact and that means Allison or Oblak.

Allison has not only been far and away the top keeper in Italy this season but also in the Champions League. And when is the last time England had a World Class keeper ? Pope may be eventually but he's not even #1 in England yet and may need a few more seasons to get there. We don't have a few more seasons, we need an instant impact and that means Allison or Oblak.

Allison is young and could well take time to adjust to the PL. Look at De Gea who had a very ropey first season for utd. I'm not talking about a few seasons, I think Pope would make an instant impact. He looks like an absolute class act.

Will be interesting to see how Allison gets on at the World Cup and against us in the semis. Will show how he handles the top level pressure

Unfortunately if he does well his price will soar further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom