• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jordon Ibe

Status
Not open for further replies.

keniget

6CM Addict
Administrator
So, where we at with him?

It's got to go down as a pretty disappointing season for him on the whole as he looks to have regressed rather than cemented his place in the side. To an extent, I think he's suffered from the injuries and disruptions to the squad perhaps a little like Sterling did last season but he needs to be more confident in himself.

A big part of the problem with him is his indecisiveness. When he came back off loan last season, he seemed a lot more sure of himself and was very direct utilizing his pace and strength to good effect. Now he seems to stall a lot of the time with defenders often just waiting him out knowing he won't catch them off guard.

I haven't seen much evidence that he has the technique, control or link up play that Sterling showed during his time here, he is a very different player. If he is to make it, he needs to speed up his play and be confident enough to know that he's got the edge on defenders if he decides to run at them. The English league is full of direct pacey players who are inconsistent. He needs an edge.

Has he demonstrated enough to Klopp to rely on him next season?

If I was manager, I'd be very wary of taking the chance on him in all honestly and there would be a big temptation to send him out on loan to see if he can improve as we need him to.

He's young, but he really annoys me. He ran straight into Monreal at least 4 times in about 20 minutes in the Arsenal game. He doesn't seem to have a great football brain either.

I've always liked him, but he's been all over the place this year. The encouraging thing is not only that he's got all the ability to make a success of his career, but also that Klopp seems to have taken him on as a personal project. He's always on his case - he was screaming at him during Tuesday's game - and he clearly wants to mould him into a proper player. He seems eager to learn, and, although it might mean a year or so of trial and error, I think he'll really come through this to realise his potential.

I hope Macca's right because he looks to have everything in his locker but fails with his application, confidence and decision making.

His long term future is probably going to be more as a 4-4-2 winger rather than a 4-3-3 one, if that makes sense.

Klopp's played most games with a 4-3-2-1 type of system that requires the front three to be adept at getting into the box and being a goal threat, and Ibe isn't really that player.

I can see him eventually excelling in as a player who works hard up and down the line, but not as a forward in a front 3. So I suppose his future with us depends largely on Klopp's tactical direction.

Well he is no Sterling as some of the threads on here have alluded to in the past.

Dont think he will be top class but will have decent career, needs to improve his decsion making in the final third, will come with time

If he stay or not probably comes down to if he is willing to act as back up. Firmino, Coutinho and Sturridge/new striker will probably be first choice when they are all fit next season. I think that he will be sold in the summer and that we will get £20m+ for him. Would not surprise me if a club like Stoke or West Ham paid that for him.

I've always liked him, but he's been all over the place this year. The encouraging thing is not only that he's got all the ability to make a success of his career, but also that Klopp seems to have taken him on as a personal project. He's always on his case - he was screaming at him during Tuesday's game - and he clearly wants to mould him into a proper player. He seems eager to learn, and, although it might mean a year or so of trial and error, I think he'll really come through this to realise his potential.

There was a point during the game where he screamed at him and then must have remembered that he'd had a fairly major operation only a few days earlier, you could see him mentally reminding himself that he should probably calm down a bit.

I think he'll really come through this to realise his potential.

I hope you're right.

My patience with him has been severely tested this season. It would be great though if he could break through properly not in the least because we're crying out for the type of player he aspires to be.

The problem is , he needs a run of games but he's not really good enough to justify that run of games and if he doesn't break the cycle before the summer transfer window , you would imagine that it will become even more difficult for him to get playing time.

Fwiw , regarding his directness , i assumed that was something being coached into him , I've noticed a few players , Ibe and Clyne the most obvious, who have become significantly less positive when in possession of the ball than they had previously been.

He seems a bit dopey to me. Slows our attacks down to a crawl , waits too long to attack the full back and runs the ball out of play far too often.
What's the point in having great pace if you never use it? And his crossing is woeful like the rest of our players.
He has the raw talent but is struggling to show it often enough.

He did really well on loan at Derby and was a really bright player when brought back into the squad by Rodgers.

He's stagnated since then, hasn't really progressed but then hasn't really regressed much either. I'm confident that there's talent in there, he's shown it before, but I think with a team that has been this inconsistent (and has been for 18 months now) it must be difficult to show your best form. This thread is about Ibe, but we could start a thread about any player's patchy form right now, it's a proper Jekyll and Hyde outfit!

His decision making is suspect, he's not playing as directly as he used to and he seems to lack a bit of desire/bottle at the moment which is odd for a young attacking player.

Last edited:
He did really well on loan at Derby and was a really bright player when brought back into the squad by Rodgers'.

Yes. That's reassuring as far as I'm concerned. It's not like he's never known how to play with more incisiveness. It's in there. I think he's had his brains scrambled a bit and doesn't quite know what he should be doing, and also has had to fill in here and there due to other injuries, doing a bit of Coutinho's role, a bit of Studge's role, a bit of Ings' role, whist trying to help Benteke get into games. If Sturridge gets a decent run of games, I think Ibe, like Benteke, will benefit from the faster and more fluid movement around him.

Reminds me a bit of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, he's fast, strong, two-footed and has a bullet shot but is also inconsistent, loses concentration and can disappear in games.

He has youth on his side and all his weaknesses can be ironed out with good coaching and experience. We have to treat him with kid gloves, nurture the talent rather than overplay him and with all the injuries, I think that's what's happened this season - he should be used as an impact sub and introduced in the odd game where the opposition suit his play while the coaches work on his overall game.

Ibe is one of the biggest talents we have on the books and should be given time, it's daft to judge him now.

If he stay or not probably comes down to if he is willing to act as back up. Firmino, Coutinho and Sturridge/new striker will probably be first choice when they are all fit next season. I think that he will be sold in the summer and that we will get £20m+ for him. Would not surprise me if a club like Stoke or West Ham paid that for him.

$20 million for Ibe?

I think there's hope for him, he seems very close to being a very good player. He makes some great runs, has great pace, but is usually very close to a great pass or a great shot - not far away. Sterling was miles away with what he was doing most of the time, shooting or assisting, and relied on his pure speed to get away.
If he could just refine his end product a little, I think he could be a great player, he's not that far away for his age.

So far he also seems like the right sort of character, one who's willing to listen to advice and work on what he's told.

Not the finished article yet obviously, but I certainly have hopes for him.

So far he also seems like the right sort of character, one who's willing to listen to advice and work on what he's told.

Not the finished article yet obviously, but I certainly have hopes for him.
All about timing though JJ - this year was his opportunity to really stake a claim, and so far he has completely choked. Meanwhile those like Smith and Stewart who were so far off the radar its untrue at the start of the season, have put a foot in the door for a longer term career.

Jordan may live to regret not taking his opportunity if there is significant recruitment over the summer (Teixeira for example would surely have knocked Ibes minutes had we signed him, even though they may not exactly be like-for-like) - not because he will be blocked out completely (Klopp seems to be a reasonable fan) but because he may have invited unnecessary competition into the club by not cementing the place as his own ie Lallana and others may get bombed out, but others will likely come in to replace them, whereas had Ibe delivered Klopp may have decided not to recruit at all in those positions.

He takes an eternity to decide what to do with the ball. You might think he has the composure on the ball by taking so many touches before releasing the ball but he is just a little slow in the brain in truth. He can dribble with the ball the whole day, it's just his final ball/decision that's been terrible.

Part of the reason for this indecisiveness might also be with our play. Our players do random stuff at random times and we do not really have that fixed attacking style in the final 3rd; it makes it much harder for Ibe to release the ball.

He could be great for teams like West Ham or Leicester who have strong runners and a fixed attacking style in the final 3rd. They will take defenders away from him to make his runs or simply make it easier for him to make the same passes.

His loan seemed to do him a lot of good confidence-wise. Maybe we should send him out again after we get some reinforcements this summer.

If he's going to play wide - either wide midfield or wide of a front 3 - which looks the most likely, then he needs to learn a trick or two pretty fucking quickly.

This dribbling straight at the defender and hoping he makes a mistake or shows you a gap thing that he does isn't gonna cut it against the top defenders.

He seems a bit dopey to me. Slows our attacks down to a crawl , waits too long to attack the full back and runs the ball out of play far too often.
What's the point in having great pace if you never use it? And his crossing is woeful like the rest of our players.
He has the raw talent but is struggling to show it often enough.
That's the problem - if he has to think about something he fucks it up , if he does things naturally with little or no time to think he can do OK.
With Sterling gone this was his great opportunity to impress - yes it's been a difficult season but I haven't seen enough
To be a top class player you need pace, touch and a brain - people blessed with two out of the three in spades can still be top drawer players. Jordan's got a decent amount of pace on touch but not really enough to compensate for the third facet - I can't see him making it much further - I hope I'm wrong

That's the problem - if he has to think about something he fucks it up , if he does things naturally with little or no time to think he can do OK.
With Sterling gone this was his great opportunity to impress - yes it's been a difficult season but I haven't seen enough
To be a top class player you need pace, touch and a brain - people blessed with two out of the three in spades can still be top drawer players. Jordan's got a decent amount of pace on touch but not really enough to compensate for the third facet - I can't see him making it much further - I hope I'm wrong
In some ways he's playing similarly to Benteke (not in effort) in that he seems to be an instinctive player but if he has too much time he overthinks it and ends up doing nothing.

That doesn't mean that he's a bad player but if Klopp is trying to drill him into playing a certain way, then when he receives the ball it may be all about remembering what he's supposed to do rather than doing what comes naturally. When he starts to think about what he's doing it negates his pace and power completely.

It will be interesting to see if Klopp loses patience with him not adapting to his methods or he's allowed to play his own game. Klopp obviously like him but seems to want to change his style somewhat.

In some ways he's playing similarly to Benteke (not in effort) in that he seems to be an instinctive player but if he has too much time he overthinks it and ends up doing nothing.

That doesn't mean that he's a bad player but if Klopp is trying to drill him into playing a certain way, then when he receives the ball it may be all about remembering what he's supposed to do rather than doing what comes naturally. When he starts to think about what he's doing it negates his pace and power completely.

It will be interesting to see if Klopp loses patience with him not adapting to his methods or he's allowed to play his own game. Klopp obviously like him but seems to want to change his style somewhat.
Your right to get the best out of players like that you can't be too prescriptive and you give them a free role like Suarez - but I'm not sure he's good enough to be afforded that luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom