• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Are we spending 150m on Bellingham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwake

Well-Known
So I listen to the anfield daily podcast and the presenter (Dave Kendrick) really has been backing the idea of two midfield players instead of going and splurging it all on Bellingham. One of them is a player we already know, Brighton's Moises Caideo the other is a player I've never heard of called Enzo Fernandez.

Apparently Benfica player Fernandez is a cross between Fabinho and Gini and at the moment the presenter reckons he technically a better player than Bellingham.

What are your thoughts on this Enzo Fernandez and other potentially cheaper Bellingham alternatives?

Last edited:
I think we've probably missed the boat on all three.

Benfica will want 100M+ for Enzo Fernandes. Brighton will also see the going rate and ask for something similar.

I hope the Darwin signing can give us some 'advantage' with Benfica.
We seem to be 'in' Portugal right now scouting wise.

When we were holding out for Virgil there was quite a lot of talk that we should go for cheaper options instead, which (despite his spotty form this season) would have been a serious mistake IMHO. Rafa was sometimes rightly criticised for making that kind of compromise in the market. We do need more than one signing, not least in MF, but we need to be careful that we're not substituting numbers for quality.

Inter Milan's debt situation may/should be the sort of opportunity to take advantage of.

Orkun Kokcu is worth monitoring too.

Untitled.jpg

Fernandez appaz has a release clause of 108 mill. Teams will probably need to trigger that to sign him given how good Benfica are at selling players.

We should have signed him for 12 mill from River Plate this summer, as Benfica did.

Fernandez appaz has a release clause of 108 mill. Teams will probably need to trigger that to sign him given how good Benfica are at selling players.

We should have signed him for 12 mill from River Plate this summer, as Benfica did.

yea that’s a scandalous markup after a season

Keita, Chamberlain, Milner are likely to depart, Fabinho is looking increasingly questionable, and Henderson and Thiago will be a year a older. With that in mind we need at least 3CMs with no obvious means to raise funds to do so.

If we take the Bellingham rumours seriously then we should have at least £100m to spend, but I think given the state of midfield this year we need to stretch that to at least 2, but likely 3 CMs this summer.

Tielemans - Leicester - Free transfer, high wages (25)

He's one for the here and now but with talent to improve further. Adds a goal threat from distance, decent passer, technically excellent, rarely injured. We would be daft to ignore this.

Barella - Inter Milan - £65m (26)

Inter needs to raise funds, so they are likely open to one of their stars walking away. Barella is a really complete CM - I'm not sure there's standout quality to him but he just does everything very well. He's aggressive, works hard, has CL experience and I think would be a very good Henderson replacement/upgrade long term. Klopp's a big fan, too. Spending big on Italians is always going to be questionable, but I think he could play anywhere.

Sangare - PSV - £35-40M (24)

With Fabinho looked like shite, we could do with one target to sit at the base of midfield. I haven't seen a great deal of him, but Sangare is frequently hyped up as ready for the top club and is rumoured to cost under £40m

There just some suggestions, but I think they provide a nice balance, meet our needs, and address the age void between our experienced and younger midfielders.

Get rid of Keita and Oxlade Chamberlain’s wages and then get Tielemans, Barella and Sangare all for the price of Bellingham. I’ll take that.

Sekou Fofana at Lens, fantastic player.....ball winning midfielder, can drive with the ball, great passer, scores goals.

Nico Barella - Long time admirer of his, brilliant at the euro's and started this season as 1 of the best players in Serie a in a struggling Inter team.

Florian Neuhaus - Heavily linked with him in the past and said he would leave Gladbach end of the season.

Zambo Anguissa - A player we all know about, we've signed a few players in recent years we've come up against in the CL....this guy has had our number & been very impressive on the whole.

Instead of spending 150M on Bellingham, we should get the money out in used fivers, spread them all over the floor of a sports hall and have an SCM party where we all roll around naked in them.

I don't understand why we don't use the South American market more.

Alvarez considered a top tier talent was signed for a paltry fee by todays standards.

Real Madrid gambled on two teenage talents in Vinicius and Rodyrgo and it's paid off for them.

You might end up paying top whack for young talent but it's still value for money when you compare it to the prices for young European players.

I don't understand why we don't use the South American market more.

Alvarez considered a top tier talent was signed for a paltry fee by todays standards.

Real Madrid gambled on two teenage talents in Vinicius and Rodyrgo and it's paid off for them.

You might end up paying top whack for young talent but it's still value for money when you compare it to the prices for young European players.

+ why when we do, they turn out to be the likes of Coates, Lucas (ok, maybe unfair to group him together with this lot :p), Paletta, Allan, Arroyo

+ why when we do, they turn out to be the likes of Coates, Lucas (ok, maybe unfair to group him together with this lot :p), Paletta, Allan, Arroyo

Yeah, fuck trying to get lucky with a 2M "hidden gem" intended for the reserves. We are not Benfica / Porto / Sporting.

Go for their best talents. It'll cost money (though didn't really in the case of Alvarez) but success rate isn't too shabby.

Yeah, fuck trying to get lucky with a 2M "hidden gem" intended for the reserves. We are not Benfica / Porto / Sporting.

Go for their best talents. It'll cost money (though didn't really in the case of Alvarez) but success rate isn't too shabby.

They normally cost around 35-50 million. Even if it works out, it normally takes them around at least a year if not two years, for them to start making a difference on a consistent basis. Given the state of our squad, do you think we can afford that wait for that price point?

There are the big money signings like Vinicius and Rodyrgo but there are also other values to be found in the South American market.

Not inc. details of any add ons:
Julian Álvarez - €17m
Enzo Fernandez - €10m
Lautaro Martinez - €14m
Bruno Guimaraes - €20m
Richarlison - £11.5m
Antony - €15.75m
Eder Militao - €4m
Joao Pedro didn't cost that much too

Porto and Benfica (in fact, the Portuguese league) tap on the South American market to very good effect. I thought/hoped the loan of Owen Beck to Famalicao might be that start of us looking to tap into the Portuguese league + set up some kind of relationship where we can use the league as a stop over for SA talents.

Brighton have been doing in recent seasons too - Caicedo and Mac Allister, and this season Enciso. Klopp called Arsenal's Martinelli "a talent of the century" so I guess he knew about him even when he was younger and this season's signing of Marquinhos might be a repeated success for them.

Last edited:
There are the big money signings like Vinicius and Rodyrgo but there are also other values to be found in the South American market.

Not inc. details of any add ons:
Julian Álvarez - €17m
Enzo Fernandez - €10m
Lautaro Martinez - €14m
Bruno Guimaraes - €20m
Richarlison - £11.5m
Antony - €15.75m
Eder Militao - €4m
Joao Pedro didn't cost that much too

Porto and Benfica (in fact, the Portuguese league) tap on the South American market to very good effect. I thought/hoped the loan of Owen Beck to Famalicao might be that start of us looking to tap into the Portuguese league + set up some kind of relationship where we can use the league as a stop over for SA talents.

Brighton have been doing in recent seasons too - Caicedo and Mac Allister, and this season Enciso. Klopp called Arsenal's Martinelli "a talent of the century" so I guess he knew about him even when he was younger and this season's signing of Marquinhos might be a repeated success for them.
Isn't there rules in place about signing players from countries to enable them to getting work visas. Not sure how/if brexit changed it but definitely use to be.
Definitely has always been easier for Spanish and Portuguese clubs to sign players from South America

Isn't there rules in place about signing players from countries to enable them to getting work visas. Not sure how/if brexit changed it but definitely use to be.
Definitely has always been easier for Spanish and Portuguese clubs to sign players from South America

Brexit has nothing to do with players signed from outside the EU - the UK just doesn’t like pesky foreigners coming over here to steal our jobs, etc, etc.

The Home Office could easily make it easier for teams to sign players from overseas - but not while Cruella Braverman’s back in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom