• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Il Divin Codino

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctlovesred

Well-Known
I remember the 1990 World Cup as the first time I really got to see top level professionals playing soccer on TV in the US. As it was, the broadcasters didn’t understand how the game worked and took commercial breaks in the middle of the matches like with football and basketball.

While they didn’t win it on their home turf, I was totally mesmerized as a young teenager watching the Azzurri beat my Yanks 1-0.

Schillachi was the surprise but the player I couldn’t stop watching was Roberto Baggio. Afterwards my best friends, a pair of Greek cousins, got me hooked on Serie A and the wonder teams from AC Milan. I keep watching Baggio though, and rooted for him in the 1994 World Cup once the US was ousted by Brazil. Missing that final penalty sits vividly in my memory and I felt terrible for him.

Anyways, on his birthday I think we should all give him a moment of our attention.

1990 was my first World Cup as well. I was 8 at the time. Ireland went fucking nuts for it.

He's still the only Italian to score at three World Cups and joint top scorer on 9.

That said the thing I'll never forget about him was the Irish commentary when we played them in USA 94. Dino Baggio was playing too.

" And Ireland have got to contain the Baggio brothers. The Baggio brothers , of course, are not related"

The first World Cup I remember was 86. I remember everyone talking about Maradona, although I did't understand at the time how much of a fucking baller he was.

1990 was the first world cup that I really appreciated and got into. It was shite, though, wasn't it?

The first World Cup I remember was 86. I remember everyone talking about Maradona, although I did't understand at the time how much of a fucking baller he was.

1990 was the first world cup that I really appreciated and got into. It was shite, though, wasn't it?

Apparently, but it seemed awesome when you were 8. Except when I went to bed crying when England were 2-1 down to Cameroon.

And then the penalties.

94 I remember better. I quite liked being Irish for a month. Well, a couple of weeks.

94 was my first one that I remembered. We were on summer holiday in the States and I recall checking for score updates in the sports section of USA Today at various stops along the way.

Too bad I was a bit young for 1986 as it's still the only time Canada has qualified.

I remember the 1990 World Cup as the first time I really got to see top level professionals playing soccer on TV in the US. As it was, the broadcasters didn’t understand how the game worked and took commercial breaks in the middle of the matches like with football and basketball.

While they didn’t win it on their home turf, I was totally mesmerized as a young teenager watching the Azzurri beat my Yanks 1-0.

Schillachi was the surprise but the player I couldn’t stop watching was Roberto Baggio. Afterwards my best friends, a pair of Greek cousins, got me hooked on Serie A and the wonder teams from AC Milan. I keep watching Baggio though, and rooted for him in the 1994 World Cup once the US was ousted by Brazil. Missing that final penalty sits vividly in my memory and I felt terrible for him.

Anyways, on his birthday I think we should all give him a moment of our attention.
I spent a few months in Italy in 1990 - part of my degree in Italian. I loved the Milan team with the 3 Dutch players, but also really admired Firoentina with Baggio and Dunga in the midfield.

I was only 7 in 90 but I remember it vividly because it was something that captivated the entire nation.

The draw with England, the last gasp draw with Holland.

Packie Bonners penalty save.

Bonner falling out of the goals for Italy to beat us!

The Italian keeper and his incessant chewing of gum.

94 was about three things for me.

That Haughton goal against Italy.

Paul McGraths performance in the same game which got him in Baggio team of the tournament.

Aldridge giving the Lino the finger before scoring shortly after coming on.

Magic.

... Jack Charlton taking some of the best footballing footballers from the top league in England and getting them to play like an international Wimbledon

I was only 7 in 90 but I remember it vividly because it was something that captivated the entire nation.

The draw with England, the last gasp draw with Holland.

Packie Bonners penalty save.

Bonner falling out of the goals for Italy to beat us!

The Italian keeper and his incessant chewing of gum.

94 was about three things for me.

That Haughton goal against Italy.

Paul McGraths performance in the same game which got him in Baggio team of the tournament.

Aldridge giving the Lino the finger before scoring shortly after coming on.

Magic.

At his best Paul McGrath was the closest comparison to Virgil I think I've seen, a freakishly good player. He had a decent career anyway, but IMO would have been known as one of the all-time greats had it not been for his injury record.

‘82 was my first World Cup and a cracking one it was too.

- Norn Iron beating Spain
- all Scotland’s games - they were just fun packed as they fucked up and went out in the Group Stage again
- “When Yer Man Gets the Ball” & “I Have a Dream” - best international team songs ever
- that Brazil team - Zico, Eder, Socrates, Falcao, Cerezo, Junior
- That Rossi hat trick to put Brazil out
- That French midfield - Platini, Tigana, Giresse
- France Vs West Germany semi-Final has to be one of the best games ever - end-to-end, extra time, penalties and that Schumacher fouls on Battison that went unpunished.
- Tardelli’s celebration when he scored in the final

At his best Paul McGrath was the closest comparison to Virgil I think I've seen, a freakishly good player. He had a decent career anyway, but IMO would have been known as one of the all-time greats had it not been for his injury record.
He was fond of the drink too, wasn't he?

Actually, now that Stevie mentioned it, I do have vague memories of the 82 world cup. More specifically the song when your man has the ball.

He was fond of the drink too, wasn't he?

Actually, now that Stevie mentioned it, I do have vague memories of the 82 world cup. More specifically the song when your man has the ball.

I have two recollections of the ‘78 World Cup.

The Peru shirt and Ally’s Tartan Army - but I wasn’t really paying any attention to football then.

1980 is about the earliest I can trace back to where I was starting to get interested in football and the 80-81 season when I can remember watching specific games.

By the 81-82 season I was hooked.

Watched the maradona documentary the other day. Twice. What a film

Agreed. Really good film. I watched that on a plane last year. When I got to immigration the unusually chatty US immigration guy asked what movies I had watched on the plane so I told him, the one about Maradona. His reaction was 'oh, the soccer guy? The one who cheated, was friends with Castro and took loads of drugs? What is it you like about him, Richard?'

Also watched the Maradona one on the plane recently and thought it was excellent. Despite everything he did with Napoli, life in Italy, and especially his "friendship" with the mafia, fucked him up. What a player though. Personally I rate him higher than Messi as one of the greatest ever.

Also watched the Maradona one on the plane recently and thought it was excellent. Despite everything he did with Napoli, life in Italy, and especially his "friendship" with the mafia, fucked him up. What a player though. Personally I rate him higher than Messi as one of the greatest ever.

I suppose it's probably inevitable given how long ago he played but I don't think people give Pele enough credit for how amazing he really was. I know it's not the best measure but if you watch clips of him on youtube he looks the greatest ever, and by a distance. Certainly more impressive than the equivalent clips of Maradona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom