• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I wanNaby (Under the sea in an Octopus's Garden in the Shade) - Deal Confirmed

Bayern Supporter:
I wouldn't compare him to Vidal. Keita is far more dangerous in the last third of the pitch. He has much better dribbling and a really great ablity to play the last pass and set up an opportunity.
What makes him so great for me is the ablity to run with the ball towards the opponent and then being able to do everything to get the ball past him

Bayern Fan #2
Although Werner and Forsberg are Leipzigs top scorers, Keita impressed me the most this season. Absolutely immense in defense and offense.

Other knowledgeable BL fans :

........ the strongest part of Keita's game right now his defensive ability. He is a great ball winner and after winning the ball he was able to immediately start the attack.

........ box to box player, strong in attack and defense, not to forget he scores goals too.

From them clips I'd see him in the position just off the striker opposite side of the pitch to manè.

If Klopp wants to shell out 50 big ones for this guy, we have got to back him, no question.

He didn't do too badly with Mane and Gini. I for one didn't think they will be as good as they have proven to be and they were absolutely instrumental to our getting the CL spot.

If he really has that 100m warchest, he has earned the right to spend it on whoever he wants really.

The lyric comes from the Beatles 'Octopus's Garden' but it is also a plea to stop bottom trawling and preserve our marine life, which furthermore, is a reference to the fact that Naby comes from a long line of marine biologists with especial interest in octopi.

From now on everyone who comes up with a "clever" thread title has to do this. Please!

Oh, and tag @Rosco, since he started this insanity.

I know Keita from his time at Salzburg and even then he was great - albeit in a shit league.

Red Bull's global football network is starting to develop top talent on a regular basis now. They won the Youth CL this year and have some amazing talents.

We should start to look at them before they play for Soton et al.

I disagree. He has plenty of attributes that match Manè. Just off the striker was the wrong description but I would play him higher up the pitch than Henderson/Can.

I disagree. He has plenty of attributes that match Manè. Just off the striker was the wrong description but I would play him higher up the pitch than Henderson/Can.

I think that clip is misleading as it is showing his assists and goals, something he clearly has in the locker– but – and this is from what I can gather from others – that he actually does most of his work breaking up attacks at the base of the midfield and initiating fast counters. Of course, no-one is going to make a youtube of that when he has some examples of exciting attacking play.

I think that clip is misleading as it is showing his assists and goals, something he clearly has in the locker– but – and this is from what I can gather from others – that he actually does most of his work breaking up attacks at the base of the midfield and initiating fast counters. Of course, no-one is going to make a youtube of that when he has some examples of exciting attacking play.

So he's the love child of Mascherano and Maradona?

So we're prepared to pay what they want, & pay his salary demands.

Just fucking buy him them, before some other club does.
Exactly. Look at city they're just getting it done. If we think he's worth 50m then pay it and move onto the next target.

We do this every time. Expect to see him in a Spurs, Chelsea or Dortmund kit next season

So we're prepared to pay what they want, & pay his salary demands.

Just fucking buy him them, before some other club does.

Exactly. Look at city they're just getting it done. If we think he's worth 50m then pay it and move onto the next target.

Seriously ? We know this all for a fact how exactly ? Have the club come out and said we have offered 50m and will pay his demands ? Or is it all just silly season rumours based on the fact the media know we are interested in him ? I'd bet it's the later and also that half of Europe are interested in him and that signing him will not be easy.

Doesn't matter. We always see other clubs just getting shit done.

We need & seem to want a number of key players, if we had learned our lessons then we'd be getting players signed straight out of the blocks like City have.

We need & seem to want a number of key players, if we had learned our lessons then we'd be getting players signed straight out of the blocks like City have.
I get where you're coming from fella but respectfully disagree - This kind of stuff reminds of the movie 'Trading Places' - You know the bit at the beginning where they are buying belly pork? The price goes up and Dan Ackroyd's character says to wait until the price is right. Let all the other chumps spend big on dross - And then won big style.

'I'm sure they went "belly up on that one"..... Look at Chelsea. Sure they get a little gold amongst the chicken feed - After all they have the cash to splash. How many clunkers have they bought for 30+Mill that were fucking shite and loaned out or sold at a loss?

How about City? Robben? Hahahaha. Fuck me!

We are not in that position and have to be smarter and realistic. Look at Southampton - I think it's fair to say their scouting system is solid and regularly produce top drawer players. I think LFC lie somewhere in between. Plenty of cash to splash but a calm, measured approach reaps rewards not massive ones at the moment but being impatient is not the answer. It's not like they are kicking their heels. Targets have been identified and I'm sure some of them (probably not all) will be met.

We got Mane last season just like that. The guy is worth double what we paid for him now because we showed patience and played the game smartly.

In Klopp and crew I trust. It'll be reet.

Bring on the silly season :)

The players we seem to be after this season are amongst the most sought after ones though, so taking our time just gives other sides a chance to come in get them first.

I think going out & getting a big player can help get other top players too cos they can see our ambition.

The City that it seems have offered 130M for MBappe ? That City ? I want the player and 50M in this market seems about right based on potential for Keita - but I'm glad we are not just throwing everything we have at RB. Because we aren't City, United or Real.

The players we seem to be after this season are amongst the most sought after ones though, so taking our time just gives other sides a chance to come in get them first.

I think going out & getting a big player can help get other top players too cos they can see our ambition.

Or the selling club see us as desperate to pay whatever they want and we end up in a bad deal.

Like a clause that if we're out of the CL he can leave another whatever price and the selling club gets 50% of the transfer.

Unlikely, but my point is you can read anyway you like but a measured approach within a reasonable timeline is probably best.

There is deffo an argument for that. It's about finding a balance though. Klopp is a big advocate and an example of a project 'on the up'. It's clear that we have the funds and the need for top drawer players. LFC is a great choice. Why not? CL qualification (while not certain) is a massive plus. Klopp is a proven manager/coach who gives everyone - Youth and senior players a chance. If you are good enough - You play. Contrast that with Maureen! Ha! Luckily for them they can spunk billions on flops like Veron, Di Maria, Falcao - How much did Shaw cost again?! I forget who else but I'm sure there are loads amongst the PL rich boys. It's mostly a lottery of course but there are things in our favour.

Guaranteed 1st team action (Could City, Chelsea, Utd, etc - offer the same?) I doubt it. One of the most likeable and respected coaches in all of Europe. I for one think that the combo of CL and Klopp will draw them in like honey to a bee. :)

Plays a bit like Paul Gascoigne based on those clips.

Which is kinda fucking cool.

Guaranteed 1st team action (Could City, Chelsea, Utd, etc - offer the same?) I doubt it. One of the most likeable and respected coaches in all of Europe. I for one think that the combo of CL and Klopp will draw them in like honey to a bee. :)
City and United definitely could, Chelsea don't need him unless letting Matic go.

Whilst CL and Klopp are enticements, nothing comes close to putting huge amounts of money in their back pockets and to be honest it's a bit naive of anyone who thinks that isn't the over-riding factor in most footballers' concerns. I'd say only those already on large pay packets may consider a rise being of slightly less importance. Luckily for us we are able to do that even if not at the level of the very richest clubs.

Keita- under the microscope

Over the course of the 2016/17 season, Red Bull Leipzig established themselves as club that was no longer up-and-coming, instead as a serious force in the Bundesliga. Key to their success were players such as Emil Forsberg, Timo Werner, and Naby Keita.
Keita’s performances this season earned him a spot in the Bundesliga Team of the Season, alongside Thiago, Forsberg and Dembele. But why is Keita so highly rated, and would he suit and improve Liverpool FC?
Keita, at the age of 22 is still very young, but is a well-rounded centre-midfielder. He excels in a box-to-box role, flourishing driving forward, and making runs from deep into the box. In 29 starts, and two substitute appearances this season in the Bundesliga, Keita has directly contributed to 15 goals (8 goals, 7 assists). He averages 45.9 passes per game, at a success rate of 81.8pc, whilst contributing on average 1.3 key passes per 90.
Should Liverpool purchase Keita, it would appear that he would play in a box-to-box role, as part of the midfield three. This midfield is widely anticipated to definitely include Philippe Coutinho, and Jordan Henderson (once fully fit) – so Keita would be fulfilling the same role that Gini Wijnaldum has dutifully performed this season.
Thus comparing figures with Wijnaldum may prove enlightening: in 33 Premier League starts, and 3 substitute appearances this season, Wijnaldum has scored 6 goals, provided 9 assists, and made a slightly lower than average of 45.1 passes per game, at a success rate of 87.3pc – 5.5pc higher than that of Keita. Additionally, Wijnaldum’s key passes rate is marginally lower too, at 1.2 per game, 0.1 less than Keita.
Whilst Wijnadlum is still yet to score an away goal, this season he did score in crucial games against Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea – a return at Anfield which is higher than that of Roberto Firmino against top six rivals. But whereas Wijnaldum may provide the key in big games against top six rivals, the majority of Liverpool’s issues this season, that cost the club in the League Cup and Premier League, was against sides that employed a low block. In these games Wijnaldum arguably struggled, and his activity on the ball was drastically different compared to home games against the top six. For instance, even in the West Ham game, which Liverpool won 0-4, by half time, he’d had only 20 touches. That was less than Can (50), Coutinho (46), and Lallana (34). This was a game in which Liverpool dominated the ball, yet curiously, Wijnaldum was not to be found.
Against the low block it’s not just Wijnaldum that struggles, generally speaking the team has too (apart from when Daniel Sturridge has started in the West Ham and Middlesbrough games). Characteristics of these games in which the team struggles are high possession, but a lack of penetration, static movement and vulnerability on the counter-attack – as we saw when Crystal Palace won 1-2 at Anfield.
One of Keita’s most attractive and impressive aspects of his play is his aggressive, direct, attacking runs. He enjoys picking the ball up in midfield, and driving forward; when facing sides that employ a low-block this direct running can provide the key to breaking them down, as a player bearing down towards goal draws and commits opposition defenders, creating space in behind, for a forward to exploit. Keita averages 2.7 dribbles per game, compared to the rather low 0.8 of Wijnaldum.
According to Michael Caley of SB Nation:

‘Keita averages just under two progressive passes or runs through the central zone per match [passes that take the attacking move at least 10-15 yards toward goal compared to where the ball had been over the last three actions, and runs on the ball that beat an opponent and progress the ball a similar distance], the most in the Bundesliga by a good margin. Next in line with 1.2 to 1.5 central progressions per match are Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembele, Schalke’s Nabil Bentaleb, Bayern’s Franck Ribery and Xabi Alonso, and Keita’s teammate Emil Forsberg.’​
But before we condemn Wijnaldum, and declare Keita a de facto improvement, we must ask what is Klopp’s idea of Wijnaldum’s role within the team, is it to simply work quietly, keeping the ball moving, and rotating the play? Or is it instead an offensive one in which Wijnaldum breaks forward, scoring goals as he did against Chelsea, City, Arsenal, and most recently Middlesbrough? Or rather is it a defensive one, in which he provides support for the holding midfielder?
I would argue the role is dependent upon the team Liverpool are facing up against, and also who partners Wijnaldum in midfield, for he has played with Can, Henderson, Lallana, Lucas and Coutinho in midfield this season. However, if we are to expect Coutinho playing in midfield next season, it is clear the defensive onus will be with the other two central midfielders. In which case it would be appropriate to compare Keita’s defensive statistics to that of Wijnaldum.
Wijnaldum averages 1.3 tackles, and 0.7 interceptions per game, Keita on the other hand averages double Wijnaldum’s average tackles per game, and just under quadruple Wijnaldum’s interceptions per game – both standing at 2.6 per game. Interceptions are vital to Klopp’s counterpressing, and it was Kante’s excellence in intercepting and dispossessing opponents that drove Chelsea’s midfield success this season. For instance, in the 1-1 draw against Chelsea at Anfield, Kante made 16 tackles, compared to the 4 of Henderson, and 3 of Can, and Wijnaldum.
Their clearances per game are identical, but Keita commits 2.3 fouls per game to Wijnaldum’s 0.6. The rate at which they are dribbled past is very similar too, but Wijnaldum pips Keita to it, averaging 0.9 per game, whilst Keita is dribbled past once every game.
It appears from these statistics that Keita is a better option both offensively and defensively, providing direct penetration, but also breaking up the opposition’s play – crucial for a midfield of a pressing team such as Liverpool. In terms of possession, Wijnaldum appears the safer bet, with less risk taking, and a higher pass completion rate – but for Liverpool, who struggled with high possession against low-block sides this season, perhaps a riskier, more direct approach would be apt in midfield. However, Coutinho’s inclusion in central midfield may negate this issue, but nonetheless, Keita’s tackling and interception figures cannot be ignored, and would be a huge asset for a side that is often exposed on the counter-attack.
The Liverpool counter-attack would also provide an opportunity for Keita too; his runs into the box are more aggressive than Wijnaldum’s and would draw defenders, creating space for others, and if not, Keita would be getting on the end of such chances, and scoring them instead.
Signing Keita would not correct all of Liverpool’s defensive issues though; a left-back and centre-back are key to getting the best out of a midfielder such as Keita, so he would not need to be as concerned about covering at all times, or holding position. But even with a new left-back and centre-back, Liverpool still have a physical deficit and deficiency. Keita is both lighter, and slightly shorter than Wijnaldum, and if Liverpool do go and purchase a winger – the likelihood is, they will not be very tall or physical. Liverpool are already the shortest side in the Premier League, and may well struggle in more physical games, even with Keita’s impressive ground game – for his aerial quality is not an aspect of his game which he is famed for.
Perhaps Keita would be better suited for Champions League, and games in which counter-pressing is key to winning – likely games against the top six. However the correlation between sides that are physical and employ a low-block (e.g. West Brom & Watford) means that whilst Keita would be a fantastic addition, it is possible that Liverpool and Klopp may still have considerable difficulties with conceding set-pieces in the coming season.
Regardless of the price of Keita, it makes perfect sense nonetheless for Liverpool to purchase him. Adding Keita to the midfield roster would add depth, competition, and provide a new dimension to Liverpool’s play that can only be positive going forward. Signing him in the face of stiff competition would be a huge sign of intent, and would only bode well for the future. It is also warming to see Liverpool interested in starting XI players that would improve the performance of the team, and deal with existing problems. £50million may be a large sum, but for Liverpool, breaking the bank in the short-term may be the key to long-term success, and should Liverpool buy Naby Keita, I am sure he would be crucial in attaining that long-term success.

Back
Top Bottom