• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

no Hengo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
There's two stories floating around right now - Hendo signing an extension, or us looking to move on from him with PSG & Athletico being interested.

I think his leadership is invaluable. He's a rare breed as a leader.
His style of play also is key to our attacking footy - as he covers the marauding fullbacks while also being key to our press.
However, the big issue is he's struggling to stay on the pitch ...

Where do you guys stand?

I'm not so sure he's the sort of player that can maintain his level - particularly as required by our team - well into his thirties. I think his body will start to catch up with him, if it hasn't started to already.

My understanding is that his current contract runs for another two years at which point he will be 33 and we don't want a 33 year old Henderson on 150K+ a week, do we?

If we don't have the money to buy a quality replacement, which it'd seem we don't, then he stays. There's more pressing concerns in the squad, and many less deserving of their wage.

I'm not so sure he's the sort of player that can maintain his level - particularly as required by our team - well into his thirties. I think his body will start to catch up with him, if it hasn't started to already.

My understanding is that his current contract runs for another two years at which point he will be 33 and we don't want a 33 year old Henderson on 150K+ a week, do we?

This... It wouldn't surprise me if we were trying to do some American style extension here. "Hey, you can stay beyond you are 33, but it will be on reduced wages... oh and the wage cut kicks in now".

He absolutely stays. There's not a chance in hell we're actively looking to move him on. Whether he gets/accepts an extension is another matter, but he'll see out his deal here.

Exactly. Gini (barely any injuries) has/had more chance of maintaining his level at 33 than Hendo and we let him go.

I think Hendo getting to 33 and us re-assessing his injury record/legs/quality then makes sense.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...rpool-transfer-news-jordan-henderson-24568871

[article]Now, at the age of 31, speculation and uncertainty surround Henderson’s future once more.

The Liverpool captain is into the final two years of his contract on Merseyside a situation in which Virgil van Dijk, Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, Alisson and Fabinho all find themselves also.

All six are in talks with the club over new deals, as sporting director Michael Edwards seeks to both retain and maximise the value of the club’s premier talent.

The Brazilian duo are close to signing new long-term deals, as first reported by The Athletic, while an extension for Van Dijk isn’t expected to be a problem. The club are also confident over Mane and Salah too, given that there really isn’t a market for either given the financial issues facing Real Madrid - also prioritising Kylian Mbappe - and Barcelona, and that FSG have made clear to both how important they remain.

But Henderson, the long-serving club captain, is a different situation and, despite the esteem in which he is held, isn’t seen it appears as a major priority. Liverpool would like an extension done, but the aforementioned quintet, are taking precedence.

And given football is very much a ‘it’s not what you’ve done yesterday, but what you can do for me tomorrow’ business, perhaps that is the correct strategy; the five men mentioned are all arguably more important in terms of what they bring on the field, while all are younger than Henderson. In terms of transfer value, all would bring in fees considerably more than the England international.

When Henderson signed a five-year deal in 2018, he declared: “There is no other place in the world I would rather play football. I want to be here for as long as I can be.”

Two years on, as he lifted the Premier League on the Kop and was crowned the FWA Footballer of the Year, that looked set to be the reality.

But now he finds himself in a situation similar to Gini Wijnaldum, who walked out on the club this summer after failing to find a contract agreement, joining Paris Saint-Germain.

Wijnaldum, 31 later this year, wanted a long-term contract that the club wouldn’t agree too. Klopp wanted a deal to be done, but ultimately the hierarchy wouldn’t budge on their stance, the player wouldn’t budge on his, and he will now play his football in the French capital.

The interesting part of Henderson’s contract stalemate going public, is how it has been brought into the public domain.

At the weekend, Liverpool sought to push the narrative that they want to tie down Henderson to a new deal that could indeed see him end his career at Anfield.

Of course, the devil is in the detail.

Because separate sources are making clear that there is an impasse, that talks aren’t progressing and even tipping PSG, Juventus and Atletico Madrid - and a reunion with Luis Suarez - as possible destinations should they break down altogether and an, at this stage still unlikely, summer sale occur.

Henderson doesn't want to be drawn into a situation ala Wijnaldum, where talks drag on. Simply, he cannot afford to be out of contract at 33, so better to get the situation sorted now, but he also wants Liverpool to show how much he is valued.

As with Wijnaldum, Klopp does not want his captain, who sets the standards for those around him, to depart. But then, were it solely down to the German, he wouldn’t have lost the Dutchman.

Liverpool’s chief decision-makers, namely Edwards and FSG president Mike Gordon, are looking to refresh and revitalise a squad that hit something of a wall in 2020-21. It’s not going to be a single summer process, especially in light of the coronavirus pandemic and the vast financial implications being felt across the world, to which Liverpool certainly aren’t immune.

But it’s clear too that, with a number of their most important players now at the peak of their careers or fast approaching, there are going to be changes in the coming transfer windows.

Ibrahima Konate, snapped up from RB Leipzig for £35million was one part of that and while they will move on other targets, there is an increased desire to shift some of the club's fringe players.

Eventually, of course, veteran players will need replacing and it's been notable since pre-season that Klopp has spoken at length about young players, notably Harvey Elliott, stepping up.

What is also clear is that, had a contract been offered to Henderson that the captain and his representatives felt matched his value and was acceptable, then the situation would already be resolved.

He would have signed and when he returns to pre-season training later this month following his post-Euro 2020 holiday, there would be no speculation or questions over his future.

Football is a short career and the Reds talisman wants to maximise his time at the highest level before it comes to a close. However, he knows it is a ruthless business, and that there could well be a case for the club saying 'thanks for the memories'.

It's little wonder the Liverpool captain is seeking an answer over precisely where he stands.[/article]

He absolutely stays. There's not a chance in hell we're actively looking to move him on. Whether he gets/accepts an extension is another matter, but he'll see out his deal here.

He was the captain that led the mutiny against their super league. He might have already sealed his fate.

Yup. His agent is demanding whatever and the lizards are saying we could have afforded that if we were in the Super League.

So fuck off

Mirror? Bulllllllshit.... I believe James Pearce has chatted bout it to... which makes me worry more...

Bullshit and stupid I might add...

that said with COVID taking huge chunks of clubs cash... IF financial fair play is worth anything at all etc....

the players have been sucking in 70 to 80% of TV money... they are gonna have to take a pay cut, clubs literally can’t afford to play players 200K a week for 5 years aged 30 when they have had no fans for 18 months.

Just look at the mess at Barca... paying Messi a million a week... it’s fucking madness. Mbappe wanting to leave etc... take your pic Mbappe... only one team in the world, City, can afford you and in order to do so they will have to pay up yet more ridiculous internal “sponsorships”

im drunk and conflating discussions but...

There's two stories floating around right now - Hendo signing an extension, or us looking to move on from him with PSG & Athletico being interested.

I think his leadership is invaluable. He's a rare breed as a leader.
His style of play also is key to our attacking footy - as he covers the marauding fullbacks while also being key to our press.
However, the big issue is he's struggling to stay on the pitch ...

Where do you guys stand?

Like for the title

I’d sell if the price is right.

I thought we were wanting to freshen up with younger players - we’ll need to move him on eventually.

In saying that - there a sizeable list of players I’d shift before Hendo.

Last edited:
I’d sell if the price is right.

I thought we were wanting to freshen up with younger players - we’ll need to love him on eventually.

In saying that - there a sizeable list of players I’d shift before Hendo.
With that hair cut Id 'Love him On'...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom