• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Harry Wilson - dead ball star

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he can play LW, AM and RW, in other words anywhere across the attacking midfield positions in a 4-2-3-1. He would be harder to fit into a team in a 4-3-3, as he's not a forward or a CM.

@Modo, did you see Wilson play for LFC reserves before he went on his loan spells? Our reserve teams are modeled on the tactics of the senior team to make transition for young players easier and Wilson seemed fine with our style of play, in fact he was the captain and scored and assisted regularly.
See, I don’t think he can play in all those attacking midfield positions. Well he can, but he’s not going to worry teams the way Mane, Firmino, Salah and Shaquiri does. I know Salah is usually the furthest forward in a 4-2-3-1 but all of the attacking players interchange, particularly the wider players out of the 3 in that formation who will move ahead of Salah when he comes back a bit, and use their pace to receive the ball in behind. I really don’t think Wilson can do that. But my hope is that he can provide good cover as a creative midfielder that chips in with the odd goal. Your description of him makes him out to be Coutinho-like but he simply doesn’t have the incredible ball control and center of gravity (those sharp zig zag runs he could do) like Coutinho, which allowed him to play in all attacking positions apart from CF.

See, I don’t think he can play in all those attacking midfield positions. Well he can, but he’s not going to worry teams the way Mane, Firmino, Salah and Shaquiri does. I know Salah is usually the furthest forward in a 4-2-3-1 but all of the attacking players interchange, particularly the wider players out of the 3 in that formation who will move ahead of Salah when he comes back a bit, and use their pace to receive the ball in behind. I really don’t think Wilson can do that. But my hope is that he can provide good cover as a creative midfielder that chips in with the odd goal. Your description of him makes him out to be Coutinho-like but he simply doesn’t have the incredible ball control and center of gravity (those sharp zig zag runs he could do) like Coutinho, which allowed him to play in all attacking positions apart from CF.

No, I did not compare him to Coutinho. The closest current LFC players to him stylistically would be Shaqiri, Lallana and Ox. Of course Wilson is not a forward who plays on the defender's shoulder, like Mane – he has different set of strengths such an incredible shot from distance, crossing, as well as a very decent short passing game. If we switch to 4-2-3-1 permanently (as we are trending towards), there will be more room and more need for AMs and less for the forwards.

In fact, you can make an argument that Mane, for all of his great qualities, is less comfortable in this new "control" style – he is too unpredictable for the patient build-up game and often makes a wrong choice, however he's as lethal as ever when isolated 1 on 1 against a defender. It could be good to have a different option, especially on the LW where we don't have anyone other than Mane or Keita, who doesn't really fit there. Notice also that Klopp has recently been trying to find as much time as possible for Mane to play on the right – so there is even more room for a player who is comfortable on the LW to get minutes in that position.

You're a weird dude, Modo. Skipping LFC games to catch up on your Xbox, but watching the reserves and Championship just to scout one youth player who may or may not ever play for us and who you don't particularly like.
That was last season, in the league I might add. The chase for fourth isn't really my cup of tea any more.
Also I enjoy watching the odd championship game. There's a few gems playing there.
I haven't followed the reserves for a few years now. Can't find the time or the motivation. I do watch highlights especially if I hear about some super talent playing for us. The days of watching Suso play for Almeria or following Sterling in the U17 World cup are well and truly over.

No, I did not compare him to Coutinho. The closest current LFC players to him stylistically would be Shaqiri, Lallana and Ox. Of course Wilson is not a forward who plays on the defender's shoulder, like Mane – he has different set of strengths such an incredible shot from distance, crossing, as well as a very decent short passing game. If we switch to 4-2-3-1 permanently (as we are trending towards), there will be more room and more need for AMs and less for the forwards.

In fact, you can make an argument that Mane, for all of his great qualities, is less comfortable in this new "control" style – he is too unpredictable for the patient build-up game and often makes a wrong choice, however he's as lethal as ever when isolated 1 on 1 against a defender. It could be good to have a different option, especially on the LW where we don't have anyone other than Mane or Keita, who doesn't really fit there. Notice also that Klopp has recently been trying to find as much time as possible for Mane to play on the right – so there is even more room for a player who is comfortable on the LW to get minutes in that position.

I just can’t see Wilson being a left winger/inside left for Liverpool. Not after we’ve seen Mane, not Riera or Riise but Mane, play there for 1.5 seasons.
Close your eyes for a minute and imagine Mane playing in the Championship, with Wilson playing LW for Liverpool. Do you really think they’d have comparable stats?

I think he can at least be a useful squaddie for us, especially when we play against lower team with 11 players behind the ball tactics.

his free kicks and out of the box shooting capability could be used to breakdown these teams and his defensive weakness will not be exposed because they are not going to attack us much.

and considering that there's more lower teams than the challengers, there's more points to win in a league race.

Wouldn't we risk lowering the price tag if we play him in the PL and he looks bad?

Wouldn't we risk lowering the price tag if we play him in the PL and he looks bad?
in my book, if he help us to beat lowest 6 teams with his free kicks/long shots alone, that is 36 points. not bad for a squaddie.

if he turns out to be shit, i still think that there will still be a few clubs willing to pay good price for him. there's a possibility that a few managers who think that he can be a useful player if you want to play percentage/smash and grab game. defend with 11 players. try to get a foul within range. bam! you beat top teams.

and nobody knows whether he can cut it or not at premiership level. it's not necessarily straight forward fight between him against mane/salah/firminho/messi. maybe he can complement them.

I just can’t see Wilson being a left winger/inside left for Liverpool. Not after we’ve seen Mane, not Riera or Riise but Mane, play there for 1.5 seasons.
Close your eyes for a minute and imagine Mane playing in the Championship, with Wilson playing LW for Liverpool. Do you really think they’d have comparable stats?

No. Mane would destroy Championship defenses, no doubt. My point is not that Wilson is already on the same level as Mane – that's ridiculous (and also a bit unfair to compare directly since Mane is a forward and Wilson is a midfielder). But equally it's not fair to contrast their playing style, like Modo and some others did, and say that because Wilson doesn't have the explosiveness and pace of Mane, he doesn't suit our attacking game. He has his own style and his own strengths and I think it's possible that those strong qualities could be useful for LFC senior team, already this season.

Let's put it this way, if one of Shaqiri or Lallana gets injured before January 31st, I think Wilson will be recalled straight away. But even without any injuries to competition there is a case to be made for him.

Last edited:
We haven't dropped any points this season against the bottom 14, never mind the bottom 6.
yes, by playing our first choice front three.

isn't it nice if we can give any one of them a rest in those games and still win the games. theoretically.

No. Mane would destroy Championship defenses, no doubt. My point is not that Wilson is already on the same level as Mane – that's ridiculous (and also a bit unfair to compare directly since Mane is a forward and Wilson is a midfielder). But equally it's not fair to contrast their playing style, like Modo and some others did, and say that because Wilson doesn't have the explosiveness and pace of Mane, he doesn't suit our attacking game. He has his own style and his own strengths and I think it's possible that those strong qualities could be useful for LFC senior team, already this season.

Let's put it this way, if one of Shaqiri or Lallana gets injured before January 31st, I think Wilson will be recalled straight away. But even without any injuries to competition there is a case to be made for him.
There is. But I don't think Klopp is going to risk rocking the boat with only 15 games to go. Ox will be back for the last 4 or 5 games too and we are getting back to full strength. Whether he's worth a squad slot or not, and I believe he is, I just don't see Klopp doing it.

Solanke never looked anywhere near ready to start for a premiership team when he played for us and we just got £20m for him. When you consider how his value would increase and what we would save on Lallanas wages for a season by giving Wilson a run in the squad there really is very little downside.

Solanke never looked anywhere near ready to start for a premiership team when he played for us and we just got £20m for him. When you consider how his value would increase and what we would save on Lallanas wages for a season by giving Wilson a run in the squad there really is very little downside.
Good point

As a midfielder ... can he make good challenges, and able to tackle well ?. How would you rate his pace ?

As a midfielder ... can he make good challenges, and able to tackle well ?. How would you rate his pace ?

I think his pace is fine. People seem to confuse the lack of a need to run long distances at pace with a simple lack of pace. Wilson plays quick one touch football, he moves and receives it and he looks to get into the area. You don't do that and dazzle people with your pace in a very obvious sense, but it doesn't mean you're lacking in pace. In the reserves, Ryan Kent on the left was the one who tended to knock the ball past a defender and then bomb forward. Wilson tended to focus more on link play and would build an attack more as part of a sequence of play. So it tended to be assumed that Kent was really fast and Wilson 'lacked' pace. It wasn't true. Play Wilson in a role more like Mane's and he'd be able to do it - he's certainly not Mane's pace, but he's lively enough - but that doesn't seem to be where either Klopp or others like to play him. He's a very promising player and I hope we'll keep him and develop him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom