• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Happy Birthday Digger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
45790181_10157385628197573_7157014561525071872_n.jpg

He was a true great indeed.
At his prime he was a joy to watch, and having him and Peter Beardsley playing for us together was a probably one of the greatest partnerships we've had.

Yep - He was fucking awesome. He was the star of the show at the 5-1 muling of Sheffield Wednesday at Anfield back in '89. My match day debut (the match before Hillsborough of course) A very cool guy and immense. He always seemed injured at the end of his playing days but in 'Digger' back in the day would smoke anyone. I remember some twat from the away stand (QPR maybe) throwing a fucking banana at the poor guy. He picked it up and hurled it right back at the cunt and hit him square on the nose. The entire Main Stand laughed their balls off and the guy got ejected. I feared for the guy that got hurled out because he was hunted down and was followed by some reds that sat a few rows behind me and followed him and the stewards out and probably smashed his stupid racist face in. Happy days :)

Last edited:
He was just glorious, twice over, first as that brilliantly fast attacker, and then as the precise orchestrator and passer from midfield. There are often edits in myths, and the one with Digger was the fact that, until he got his bad achillies injuries, he was actively looking to move abroad just as much as Suarez and Coutinho were. It didn't happen with him, thanks to his loss of pace, so he stayed, and he's loved, while they aren't so much, and didn't win much if at all, but beyond that - he's a legend.

I really hope whoever gave him the nickname "digger" only had good intentions.

... but here was the dodgy "Tarmac" nickname, that I only heard in legend rather than reality

One night when I was a kid we were watching A Question of Sport and it came to the mystery personality round. I shouted out "John Barnes!" only to be disappointed when my brother pointed out that John Barnes is a black dude, and clearly not the white dude who was driving a digger at the time. Perhaps I got confused by the digger?

That surely just means 'Thank You' in Scouse?
Haha - actually my first exposure to scouse was when Ian McCulloch said something along those lines when I queued to get his autograph, as s spotty 15 year old, after a 1981 Bunnymen gig in Oxford, I had to ask an exiled scouse friend what he meant :)

Anyway, the legend I heard was some people referred to him as tarmac as he was the black Heighway …

Howard Gayle was offended by just about anything. Obviously, given his background and that era, it's understandable to a great extent, but his autobiography is so full of dubious inferences, as well as justified ones, that it gets a bit, well, much. He even took umbrage when people pointed out that Phil Thompson has a big nose.

Howard Gayle was offended by just about anything. Obviously, given his background and that era, it's understandable to a great extent, but his autobiography is so full of dubious inferences, as well as justified ones, that it gets a bit, well, much. He even took umbrage when people pointed out that Phil Thompson has a big nose.
Seemed a bit sensitive but I can definitely understand where it came from.

Oh my Christ
Blaspheme all you want. Someone calls a black player "Digger" during banana throwing days, I'd be well in my rights to ask questions.
Maybe it was completely innocent but yeah someone saying "hey digger fetch me that water bottle, will ya". Doesn't sound right to me.

Blaspheme all you want. Someone calls a black player "Digger" during banana throwing days, I'd be well in my rights to ask questions.
Maybe it was completely innocent but yeah someone saying "hey digger fetch me that water bottle, will ya". Doesn't sound right to me.

Maybe you could just shut the fuck up

He was named after 'Digger Barnes' from the TV show 'Dallas' - I think that's true anyway.

I saw he was playing for the tories at their conference last month. What a total Alonso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom