• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gomez to Villa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They play everton and united in january. We want them to win those games. They play Newcastle soon afterwards, we want another win to get them relegated since our future depends upon it. It's in our interests. Their last game of the season is against city, we will be in desperate need of them winning that game too. Gomez should go there and take a couple more with him. It's not even debatable. We'd be stupid to turn down the opportunity.

You can inagine that Gomez would possibly be keen on this. He has started, what, three games this season? I know he has been injured recently but even before that it was looking like he was behind Van Dijk, Matip and Konate. He is bound to want to play first team football, even if that means a move away.

However, I am not sure how a loan move in January helps us, and although that sounds a bit harsh, that is ultimately what it comes down to.

I believe Villa are pretty tight to breaching FFP, so a sizeable bid may be unlikely.

Not saying it won't happen, but it's a consideration.
5f2eff290727dd67074c8ecbdcb66d98.jpg

Not sure if that wiggle room calculation is before they sold Grealish. If it is, they'll be fine for a couple of years.

They aren't in Europe so it doesn't much matter does it?
I think this was the Premier League's FFP rules. Broadly the same framework but PL rules allow for losses of £105m over 3 years (UEFA limit is, I think, €5m).
From memory, Kieran Maguire (Price of Football) did this table for an article in the Daily Mail but neither he nor the article spelt out which test it was. I assumed it was the PL rule as Everton have lost a fuck-ton of money the last few years and there's no way they'd be anywhere near the UEFA target. Lucky for them they're nowhere near qualifying for Europe either.
As I understand it, they should really have been called in for investigation and monitoring by the PL by now but I've not seen any mention of that happening, so there may be something in their numbers which isn't obvious from their public accounts that gets them out of it (e.g. losses from stadium investment and youth academy are added back). They're still in a mess financially as well as on the field.

This ia a nogo unless Jurgen has an option to buy an upgrade on JoeGo. :)

I think it's a good thing to be honest - build his value up and get him fit and raring again

Basically comes down to whether the owners will allocate a genuine net spend in the next 2 windows. Have they got the hump over the Euro legue or what.

If they stipulate it's sell to buy then Joe Gomez or Nat Phillips,The Ox,Nabby and one or two others could be in the frame.

Would people be happy with Phillips as our 4-choice CB? We also have Van der Berg, Rhys and Koumetio in the youth pipeline.

Would people be happy with Phillips as our 4-choice CB? We also have Van der Berg, Rhys and Koumetio in the youth pipeline.
Yeah I'd be fine with him as 4th choice. He's arguably better than Gomez at the moment.
Not that impressed with the rest of them.

Well, in this case it makes perfect sense to keep Phillips and sell Gomez, who will command a bigger fee and is injury-prone. And I do think Van der Berg can be a factor for us next season, both as a RB and CB back-up.

Yes.

We've gone from having 3 major injuries to CBs, which even with ours is unheard of, so being completely wiped, to finding a great solution and 1 half solution (Nat and Rhys) and then adding konate.

We now have 6 CBs with PL experience at the least.

Ridiculous depth which is bizarre given we don't have any depth elsewhere..

Defo sell for many reasons, not least because its a waste of their careers and our cash for some of them to warm the bench.

We’re not selling Gomez, Ox and Phillips with Hendo over 30 and Milner about to receive a letter from the Queen let alone a bus pass.

We’re certainly not buying the home grown talent we’d need to replace them with what we get for them.

That’s the problem we have - I have a feeling we’re going to be looking towards youths coming through and one “big” purchase a season unless we sell someone who’ll over index on value and there aren’t many of those to consider.

We’re not selling Gomez, Ox and Phillips with Hendo over 30 and Milner about to receive a letter from the Queen let alone a bus pass.

We’re certainly not buying the home grown talent we’d need to replace them with what we get for them.

That’s the problem we have - I have a feeling we’re going to be looking towards youths coming through and one “big” purchase a season unless we sell someone who’ll over index on value and there aren’t many of those to consider.
I'd bite your arm off at one big signing a season...

It’s as plain as the nose on Ian Rushes face that we don’t think Phillips can play the way Klopp ideally wants. I can’t believe he doesn’t get a kick in Porto or the league cup if that’s not the case.

The only way i can see Joe going is if he’s privately shit, perma injured or pushes to leave.

I'd be for this if there is a recall option. Also if we are serious about selling (perhaps we are) then it will help raise his price ahead of the summer. It is risk as one injury to Matip and we are looking weak (unless we truly see Nat stepping up again)

It feels like Konate has taken Gomez' spot in the squad and given that Gomez has previously made noises about not wanting to be left out and that he's one of those players that takes a while to get back to his best in the team it may be the case that he moves on.

I'm not so sure about a loan move though. We don't really need Gomez to prove anything (that can be done in a few months at Villa anyways) so it feels like it'd be a favour to Gerrard more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom