• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gini wish granted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our midfield is starting to look delicious. There is every attribute you want with plenty of overlap. No longer having to wait with baited breath for Keita or Ox to "provide some creativity," we can get what we need from multiple sources and in multiple combinations. Can't wait!

[article]Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman says he wants Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum to spearhead an exciting trio of January arrivals.

Koeman previously revealed his interest in his fellow Dutchman, claiming he was on Barca’s list of targets.

However he has now explained at length why he feels the 29-year-old would be a fantastic signing.

He said (via the Daily Mirror): “Our interest for Wijnaldum is strong.

“I wanted to bring him here in the summer because he has the ability to make fantastic runs from midfield and turn up in the box at the right moments.

“I am convinced he can really add something to the team. But the financial situation of Barcelona was known at his club.”

Wijnaldum and Koeman worked together while the latter was manager of the Netherlands national team. Indeed the Reds midfielder has a fantastic international goals record, scoring 15 times in 61 games.

Barcelona could not afford a swoop this summer, though, with the club announcing losses of €97million (£88million). The club also blamed the coronavirus pandemic for a €203million (£184million) drop in revenue.

The interest in Wijnaldum comes amid the midfielder’s contract nearing an end. He has entered the final year of his Anfield deal, with no sign of an extension on the horizon.

As such, the Spanish giants could land a cheaper fee in January, or agree a pre-contract with the midfielder.[/article]

He will go to Barca but they wont want to pay for him. I wonder if they would consider a swap for Umtiti in January? Might suit all sides

Umtiti is injury prone too ...

True, but hes experienced at the top level and should be available in Jan. Assuming FSG dont want to spend £30m+ mid year it may be a viable solution. He wouldnt be my first choice either, but these are extraordinary times in terms of cashflow and depth of squad.

True, but hes experienced at the top level and should be available in Jan. Assuming FSG dont want to spend £30m+ mid year it may be a viable solution. He wouldnt be my first choice either, but these are extraordinary times in terms of cashflow and depth of squad.

Can't argue with that.

Not the most credible of sources I guess? But chances of Gini staying looks slim.
[article]90min claims that Paris Saint-Germain and Inter Milan have ‘made their interest clear’ while Barcelona ‘haven’t given up hope of signing the Dutch star’.

The Catalan giants have apparently ‘told the player’s representatives they will return to the table in January, when they can open talks over a free transfer ahead of next summer’.

However, Liverpool are keen to keep Wijnaldum on their books with Klopp urging the Reds board to tie him down to a new deal.

90min adds that Liverpool and Wijnaldum are ‘still some way apart on an agreement to extend his contract’ with the Dutchman wanting ‘a £120,000 weekly base salary – a hike of more than 50% on what he currently earns’.

Liverpool see his demands as ‘steep’ but Klopp ‘has made it clear to the club’s negotiators that he does not want to lose one of his most trusted midfielders’.

It is understood that Wijnaldum would ‘prefer’ to remain at Anfield and Klopp is trying to persuade the club’s board that he represents a ‘sensible long-term investment’.[/article]

Gini is on 70k whilst full-time bums Ox & Keita are picking up 120k - he has every right to be looking at least par with them.

They're younger full-time bums. He shouldn't be paid that much for wanting to play on for us long past his peak. The money goes down, not up, that's how it works.

They're younger full-time bums. He shouldn't be paid that much for wanting to play on for us long past his peak. The money goes down, not up, that's how it works.
Yep.

Part of the balance in remaining ahead of the pack is offloading players at the right time. Like Dreamy's hero Sir Alex did for years with the likes of Keane, Stam and loads of others.

It's also not something Klopp has had to deal with yet.

True but given market rates he probably underpaid in his first contract. Not the club's problem but that could be how he looks at it.

Arguably he's now at his peak. Certainly not yet past it ... and if he's being paid considerably less than players that have contributed far less to this side's success then in his shoes I'd want fair compensation too. Maybe not for the length of the new contract but definitely immediate parity with less senior members of the squad.

Arguably he's now at his peak. Certainly not yet past it ... and if he's being paid considerably less than players that have contributed far less to this side's success then in his shoes I'd want fair compensation too. Maybe not for the length of the new contract but definitely immediate parity with less senior members of the squad.

So your reasoning is: because he's arguably at his peak now (I guess that must be why he gets so much flak from fans), he should get about £50m more for the period when he's past his peak, but on a shorter contract than the one he wants. Okay. As usual, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Gets so much flak from fans, does he?

Er, yes. Have you just started reading, or are you here on wum work experience? The phrase 'Gini didn't do much, again' is such a fixture in match threads it ought to be printed on t-shirts. It's considerably more popular than, 'Wow, he's really at his peak!' or 'He should be the first name on the team sheet!'

Er, yes. Have you just started reading, or are you here on wum work experience? The phrase 'Gini didn't do much, again' is such a fixture in match threads it ought to be printed on t-shirts. It's considerably more popular than, 'Wow, he's really at his peak!' or 'He should be the first name on the team sheet!'

Sorry, I don't go off fans opinions on social media and forums about players and suchlike. From my experience as a regular match goer and being around similar types of fans, Gini has always been a well liked and respected player amongst the fanbase.

So your reasoning is: because he's arguably at his peak now (I guess that must be why he gets so much flak from fans), he should get about £50m more for the period when he's past his peak, but on a shorter contract than the one he wants. Okay. As usual, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Ask any fan if they would prefer to Gini to Ox or Milner ... who are on a lot more money. Or if he should be paid at least as much as Keita ? You don't think he should be rewarded for his contributions to the club with a new contract equivalent to his standing? He's still probably considered our #3 or #4 rated midfielder. A regular for the World, PL and last season CL Champions. Unless you forgot.

Additionally you have of course grossly exaggerated with that £50m comment, because I said immediately comparable to those but not for the length of the contract, so effectively a sliding scale by age. That would mean an increase of £2.6m on current earnings in Y1. On a new 4 year contract probably around £7-8m increase (and so ca. £20m total over 4 years), clearly nowhere near £50m in total never mind more.

Last edited:
[article]Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum has insisted he cannot comment on whether he will be signing a new deal at the club.

The Dutch midfielder was heavily linked with a move to Barcelona in the summer, with their new manager Ronald Koeman thought to be keen to take him to the Camp Nou.

It was widely felt that a deal could happen as Wijnaldum is in the final year of his contract at Anfield and has so far failed to sign an extension to it.

However, a deal didn’t happen, with the player instead staying with Liverpool.

The obvious conclusion is that he signs a new deal to extend his four-year stay on Merseyside, but when questioned about the situation, he refused to comment either way.

“I can’t say anything about that,” Het Parool report him saying.

“Just ask Liverpool those questions. Don’t they answer?

“I cannot say anything about it, including whether or not there is talk of a new contract between me and Liverpool. Sorry.”

Wijnaldum heads into this international break with the Netherlands after another solid start to the season with Liverpool.

The Premier League champions currently sit third in the table after eight games, with the weekend draw against Manchester City leaving them one point off first.

Not sitting at the top of the table is something the Reds aren’t accustomed to after last season and the midfielder says it is something they are keen to rectify.

“That (leading the table) was a while ago, yes,” he said.

“Although we knew we might not be at the top after this weekend, going to Manchester City is just a tough game.

“But take it from me: we are just as eager at Liverpool, you know. The group wants more, and the manager is still pushing us.”

If Liverpool are to get back to the top of the table, they will have to do so without defender Virgil van Dijk.

As you’ll be aware the centre back is set to miss the rest of the season with a knee injury, picked up in a collision with Everton’s Jordan Pickford during the Merseyside derby.

That injury could also see him miss the European Championships next year, although Wijnaldum says that is a discussion he and his teammate are yet to have.

“It’s a pity that Virgil van Dijk isn’t there because of that knee injury,” he added.

“I talk to him often, but never about soccer. I do talk about life. So also not whether or not he will make it to the European Championships.

“He just has to rehabilitate and be there for his family. And God willing, he will be there next summer. Yes, he is still involved with the team, even though he is not physically here.”[/article]

Last edited:
If ever there was a season where people could see the value of a player like Wjinaldum this should be it. Players dropping like flies, he turns up and works his socks off every week.

Look at our midfield Ox hasnt been seen in months his next game will be his testimonial, Keita the same, Thiago has played 1 game so far. Fabinho shifted to CB and then fell apart. Its basically just Gini and Henderson that we can rely on. And people still act like we should just bin him off cos weve got loads of options. Sign him up and put whatever cash weve got into rebuilding our defence

If ever there was a season where people could see the value of a player like Wjinaldum this should be it. Players dropping like flies, he turns up and works his socks off every week.

Look at our midfield Ox hasnt been seen in months his next game will be his testimonial, Keita the same, Thiago has played 1 game so far. Fabinho shifted to CB and then fell apart. Its basically just Gini and Henderson that we can rely on. And people still act like we should just bin him off cos weve got loads of options. Sign him up and put whatever cash weve got into rebuilding our defence
^^^THIS!

Staying fit is one of the top skills at the highest level. Gini and Salah are two of the absolute best in the world at it. Week after week after week. Relentless dedication and incredible conditioning.

He’s on a hat trick for Netherlands against Bosnia and Herzegovina. 27 minutes played.

We're using him deeper than they do, and the reason we can is that he's a top, top player who can do more or less anything asked of him - he's even looked decent as a stand-in CB before now (and may have to again, the rate we're going). Some players can end up playing not in their best position because they are so versatile. Maybe Gini's one of them.

[article]Liverpool have reportedly tabled a new contract offer to Georginio Wijnaldum with a fresh incentive but ignoring the midfielder's key demand.

Talks between both parties have been ongoing for some time but are currently at an impasse with Wijnaldum's deal due to expire in June.

Jurgen Klopp is keen to retain the Dutchman's services but Liverpool are reluctant to give the 30-year-old the four-year extension he is requesting.

So far in negotiations The Reds have only been prepared to stretch to three years, and it appears club chiefs are unwilling to bend on that further.

However, according to Calciomercato , Liverpool have made allowances in their latest offering in a bid to tempt Wijnaldum into staying at Anfield.

The Italian publication reports a new deal has been put on the table by Liverpool with a salary worth £115,000 per week.

That is a significant raise on Wijnaldum's current weekly wage of £75,000, which Liverpool hope will be enough to seal the deal.

Wijnaldum was pushing for a bump in salary anyway, and this agreement would bring him closer in line with Liverpool's other midfield stars.

Liverpool are keen for Wijnaldum to put pen to paper before the January window opens as he will be able to discuss pre-contract terms with clubs from foreign countries.

Two clubs have already expressed an interest in snapping him up on a free next summer.

Inter Milan have emerged as contenders for his signature, as well as Barcelona - the latter of whom are managed by Wijnaldum's former international boss Ronald Koeman.

If Wijnaldum's contract standoff is not resolved by January, Liverpool may well be forced to cut their losses and sell him before the window slams shut.

The reigning Premier League champions have shown shrewd acumen in the market in recent years and will not be keen to let their player go without recouping anything in return.[/article]

Either way he wont be leaving in January given the number of injuries we have and the games left. Only way I see that happening is if the season implodes and we are out of all comps, which looks very unlikely at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom