• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gini out of the bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Match thread starter
This might be a very nice outcome of bolstering our deep lying midfield ranks if we start to see much more of 'holland gini' if Thiago/Naby/Hendo play as the two deep lying mids and Gini goes a lot more free role. When he gets in the box is comes with the natural side effect of giving more space to other attackers in there and occupying the minds of defenders.

I'd actually love to see more of this given how flexible he can be if we need to drop back and tighten up also.

I prefer Barca Gini but if we find ourselves with Dutch Gini that would be pretty cool. Another positive of Fabs at CB (as I think it is less likely with him at DM).

Nah. Most of the time he has a hard time even finding the goal (Barca match aside). What's his goals to shots ratio? Or even shots on target ratio? I'd rather Naby be given a more attacking role since he's got the feet to dribble into the box and create havoc. He just needs to lay it off at the right time.

Nah. Most of the time he has a hard time even finding the goal (Barca match aside). What's his goals to shots ratio? Or even shots on target ratio? I'd rather Naby be given a more attacking role since he's got the feet to dribble into the box and create havoc. He just needs to lay it off at the right time.

Naby doesnt seem to be much of a finisher either, even if he does have the ability to make space for himself. He seems to be one of those players who only shoots if he cant find a team mate to lay it off to.

He used to be a prolific goalscorer before he joined us.

92 goals in 329 appearances before he joined us.

His record for the national team is pretty decent too - 18 goals in 64 appearances.

And there's his record for us:

19 goals in 189 appearances!

It's quite baffling really.

He plays a different role, but it's not exactly a deep lying role. He's quite often the 3rd midfielder in our 3 man midfield, and frankly the drop from a 1 in 3 ratio to a 1 in 10 ratio is really really stark.

He almost seems completely risk averse at times playing for us, and his finishing and shooting for us also seems to take a dip, which I find very strange.

He plays a different role, but it's not exactly a deep lying role. He's quite often the 3rd midfielder in our 3 man midfield, and frankly the drop from a 1 in 3 ratio to a 1 in 10 ratio is really really stark.

He almost seems completely risk averse at times playing for us, and his finishing and shooting for us also seems to take a dip, which I find very strange.

This has fascinated me for a long time. When we first signed Gini, I imagined we got ourselves a true goal-scoring midfielder; 1 goal in 3 games is pretty much as good as it gets. Instead Klopp has converted him into a water-carrier, which always made me wonder if Gini truly likes that role (and I even wondered if this has something to do with him not signing a contract).

His finishing is noticeably less sharp in Liverpool colours compared to his previous clubs and the National team, which I can only attribute to the pre-game mindset – once you come out with the mindset that your primary role is keeping the ball and providing cover for any turnovers in possession, it's hard to switch to that creative or "killer finisher" mode. Would be nice if he could perform his defensive role all game AND finish his chances with aplomb when they fall to him, but I guess that's not how his mind works. In the Chelsea game there was a moment when he had a clear run on goal from the left corner of the penalty area and instead his very first touch took the ball in the direction of the corner flag and any danger was extinguished. In contrast, when he came on against Barca, his mindset from the very beginning was "I need to help the team score" and that was one of the few glimpses of the "Dutch Gini" in a Liverpool shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom