• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gini in a bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no doubt he plays a million miles better for national side that he does for us.

On the ball a lot more, makes more runs, links up play. Scores & assists

Rarely seem him do that for us.
You really are the Mark Francois of SCM.

It's probably worth considering that he's asked to perform different roles and play in a different way and position for Holland vs Liverpool

It seems a bit reductive to say he "plays a million times better" for Holland

My original post was debating whether he’d be better utilised in the advanced CM role Hendo has taken on towards the tail end of last season. I think he would be a beast there for us.

My original post was debating whether he’d be better utilised in the advanced CM role Hendo has taken on towards the tail end of last season. I think he would be a beast there for us.
Yes. He would be a beast there for us. Would the team be better off? Probably not.

He started as a gymnast, so no wonder. I think the incredibly effective way he uses his body to protect the ball is also influenced by his training in another sport.
So why doesn't he score loads of overhead kicks, like he was on the parallel bars?

Last edited:
@binomial - Gini is one of Klopp's best signings, yes he can sometimes be inconsistent, but when we first signed him I thought he was very good for us, I remember at Christmas in his first season with us, he had a slight injury and to be honest I thought without him we would not win a single game. His best characteristics is shielding the ball from opposition players, and trying to move the ball forward, and without the ball he makes very good runs. He has had many good games for us, think back even to that Roma game at home, prior to Ox getting injured we were huffing and puffing but when Gini came on he started making those runs and Roma were being split at will.

I think he is less effective for us in those games where we have had to play the combination of Hendo, Gini, and Milner - those three combined are only good against non pressing opposition and we have had serious issues against the better sides with those three. But I don't think it is the fault of any of those three, it's just that Klopp wants Firminio to support the midfield as the play-maker by dropping deep - but the general idea is to have a solid 3 midfield to stop the opposition and just get the ball back when lost.

However, with Fabinho now making that holding role his own, I think Gini will be free to support the attack more. Those that argue he does so well with the national team - well with international football - you must always consider the level of the opposition - I don't know which national teams he has done well against, but if they average sides then it should not be a shock that Gini plays well against them. Not many teams give an inch in the PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom