• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Friday Night Lights - Arsenal (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Match thread starter
Huge game, this. With all the rotation we have been doing, its hard to predict the team but there are a few players in great form going into this - Firmino, Salah, Coutinho, Gomez and even Hendo is playing with more confidence.

I think we'll line up similar to the Bournemouth game but with 2 changes:

--------------Mignolet---------------
Gomez--Lovren--Klavan--Robbo
------------Hendo--Can-------------- I think Can will come back to provide a bit more 'steel' in midfield
--------------Coutinho---------------- Phil drops back in place of Ox to allow Mane back in
--Salah-----Firmino----Mane------

I think we could really put one on them here - but so much depends on the team we put out.

Arsenal have been playing a pretty static XI already this month, and have a game on Wednesday in the League Cup where they will surely play a few big names too. I expect them to be tired but I also worry about the threat of Ozil who is finding form, Wilshire who is back with a point to prove and Laca who is lethal when he gets chances.

Kolasinac will also be up against Salah/Mane and will relish the physical side.

Wonder if Ox looses the Place in the side as I bet he will be extremmely eager to have a go at the Arsenal midfield. Big decisions to be made and with Arse coming to play the game it might be tempting to leave the same three on top, but then I assume Mane will have a breakdown.

Wonder if Ox looses the Place in the side as I bet he will be extremmely eager to have a go at the Arsenal midfield. Big decisions to be made and with Arse coming to play the game it might be tempting to leave the same three on top, but then I assume Mane will have a breakdown.

I think we need all of Bobby, Salah, Coutinho & Mane on the pitch for maximum threat. Ox will be eager, but so will Mane, so will Coutinho, so will Bobby etc. We know Klopp won't, but what he should do is give him a long stint (30 mins or so) at the end when Arsenal are tiring to really go at them.

I do always like the idea of players facing their old clubs (except for Moreno...) but when the alternative is Mane, it is a hard choice to make.

To borrow a football cliche, this is a 6 pointer. We've dropped a lot of unnecessary points so far which has left us right in the middle of the scrap for 4th. Tough ask but a win would be a big boost.

I was hoping to see Coutinho come off early but the fact that he wasn't makes me wonder whether he's going to be benched for this game. I hope not.

Mane will play.

I'd guess for Chamberlain, but Klopp may drop Coutinho instead.

Whether Salah starts is the big question. He's not been rested nearly as much as the other forwards & we want him fresh for that January February period where other teams usually drop points & we (presumably based on this aggressive rotation) aim to make up some ground with consistent wins.

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't start our next two games, despite his incredible form. Tbh though, aside from the wailing & gnashing of fans teeth, I don't see it as a huge issue, give him twenty minutes against tired legs from the bench & he'll continue his scoring run.

I was having the same concerns. I really really hope we don't see Firmino or Salah dropped either. Best XI, including all of the front 4 and we'll be in for a game. Arsenal have been susceptible to crumbling early, this could be another time to hit them hard at the start.

I want to see brutal murder - really hit Arsenal where it hurts. They have had a good home record - time to end it in style.

I think we need all of Bobby, Salah, Coutinho & Mane on the pitch for maximum threat. Ox will be eager, but so will Mane, so will Coutinho, so will Bobby etc. We know Klopp won't, but what he should do is give him a long stint (30 mins or so) at the end when Arsenal are tiring to really go at them.

I do always like the idea of players facing their old clubs (except for Moreno...) but when the alternative is Mane, it is a hard choice to make.

it is a fine Balance between being fired up to show Your old team and to be too hot on the pot and hence give away a stupid chance or even get a early booking/sending off... Small Things can just as well cost you a game as win you one.

But I hope as you that Coutinho starts. Ox is in real good shape at the moment, and together With Lallana will play a good share over xmas.

To borrow a football cliche, this is a 6 pointer. We've dropped a lot of unnecessary points so far which has left us right in the middle of the scrap for 4th. Tough ask but a win would be a big boost.

I was hoping to see Coutinho come off early but the fact that he wasn't makes me wonder whether he's going to be benched for this game. I hope not.
Can't see cou being benched for such a big game. Plus he's got ample time to rest as we don't play til friday.

Can't see cou being benched for such a big game. Plus he's got ample time to rest as we don't play til friday.

It is not the Friday game that kills him. The rotation is to have him still contributing the 5th of January (Friday two weeks later) after the following schedule

22nd Arsenal a
26th Swans h
30th Leicester h
1st Burnley a
5th Everton h

Not too much time spent travelling there, so that helps. But it all comes at the tail of a very hectic program as well.

Yep - I think Swansea and Leicester will see rotation as we need to be on form for both Burnley and Everton, with a trip to City shortly after that.

As Keni says though, this is an absolute 6 pointer, and we then have similarly important games in the fight for top 4 against Burnley (1st Jan) and Spurs (3rd Feb). I wouldn't mind some rotation in the FA Cup if it means we beat Burnley and have beaten Arsenal on the way to that..

Ox should start 100%

Play 3 4 1 2 with Firmino and Salah up top...Countinho sitting behind the front two

Wijnaldum in the centre with Henderson Robinson and the Ox on the wings

Gomez Lovren and Klaven as the CB

Mane should be on the bench..

With that line up we should win no problem..

It is not the Friday game that kills him. The rotation is to have him still contributing the 5th of January (Friday two weeks later) after the following schedule

22nd Arsenal a
26th Swans h
30th Leicester h
1st Burnley a
5th Everton h

Not too much time spent travelling there, so that helps. But it all comes at the tail of a very hectic program as well.
Start him against Arsenal and Leics. Have him on the bench against Burnley. Not sure what klopp is going to do for the FA cup game...he may play a 2nd string.

Arsenal will suit us down to the ground, though we probably will suit them too. I'm going to say 2-4 to us. The 'fab 4' must start.

Ox should start 100%

Play 3 4 1 2 with Firmino and Salah up top...Countinho sitting behind the front two

Wijnaldum in the centre with Henderson Robinson and the Ox on the wings

Gomez Lovren and Klaven as the CB

Mane should be on the bench..

With that line up we should win no problem..

Mane needs to start.. but I am very torn about Ox, he was great and has been looking better each game. Its a weird place to tread as a poor performance vs Arsenal would see a lot of negative press/ crowd reaction etc.

The Ox rested for Mane, and thats probably the team in my opinion. Coutinho moved back into midfield.
Maybe we'll see the 4-2-2-2

Ming
Gomez Lovren Klavan Robbo
Gini Hendo
Coutinho Mane
Salah Firmino

Oxlade doesnt deserve to be rested but I think its the right call away to Arsenal.

It's a tricky one because if he gets subbed on / off he's likely go get booed so Klopp might want to avoid that.

Our record against the big teams (away from home) this season has been embarrassing. We have been given a hiding from spurs and city. We simply can’t let this happen against Arsenal

Our record against the big teams (away from home) this season has been embarrassing. We have been given a hiding from spurs and city. We simply can’t let this happen against Arsenal

True. What can Arsenal come with to give us a hiding? Are they coming to play us of the park, or will we see them more cuocious to avoid our Counter? Can't see them coming With that 3 man defence and attacking fullbacks?

True. What can Arsenal come with to give us a hiding? Are they coming to play us of the park, or will we see them more cuocious to avoid our Counter? Can't see them coming With that 3 man defence and attacking fullbacks?

They have played 4 at the back the last two games, but i'd expect them to be back to the back 3

---------------Cech-----------
------Kos--Mustafi--Monreal----
Bellerin-------------------Kolasinac
----------Xhaka--Wilshire---------
----------------Ozil-----------------
------Lacazette---Alexis-------

They've given Iwobi some playing time of late, but with Ramsey injured I think they'll revert to old faithful. The supporters are all over Alexis for being uninterested and relatively shite of late, would love to see a subdued performance from him.

Kolasinac hasnt played for a few games now

They've played a back 4 for the past 2 games, but my gooner mates reckon its rotation, although Mustafi has had a knock too. That youngun Maitland-Niles has been playing as LB instead. They reckon the back 3 will return for this - which I think plays to our strengths as they will leave themselves exposed in midfield.

They've played a back 4 for the past 2 games, but my gooner mates reckon its rotation, although Mustafi has had a knock too. That youngun Maitland-Niles has been playing as LB instead. They reckon the back 3 will return for this - which I think plays to our strengths as they will leave themselves exposed in midfield.

Yeah, I think you're right. Wenger has opted for 3 at the back in the few games I've seen them this season.
One of them were against Spurs were they looked quite good.

Wont be easy this, but we have a good chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom