• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Formula One 2022/23

Squiggles

Part of the Furniture
New season starting this weekend.

Who are you backing?

Haas have used some Russian money to reportedly develop a decent car before ditching the driver. They may return to the midfield.

Ferrari and RB looking fast.

Mercedes saying they've created a dog, but nobody buying it. I hope Russell is underwhelming. Such a tory boy and can't stand him.

Last edited:
Was meaning to start this thread.

the first few races are going to be great as cars evolve. Looks like Ferrari & RB are starting off quickest but let’s see Quali first!

FYI @momoWASboss

I’m not buying the merc being a sack of shit. Russell has 1/2 a second behind Max. Saying that, I think Verstappen has more to give. But if Red Bull want to win the title they need Perez to start performing on Saturdays. I don’t think he will and Gasly will take his seat some time after Monaco. Probs at the break.

Agreed the Ferrari looks nimble but I’m guessing they’re still behind Red Bull. McLaren had an odd day yesterday and could find themselves in a battle with the Alphatauri. I’m expecting a better from Tsonuda this season.

Haas with finish above Williams and Alpha Romeo. That alpha is the best looking car in my opinion.

I think it’ll be a tipsy turvry few races and I’ll be interested in race day strategy should the tyres hold up better. But come the second half Mercedes, Red Bull and occasionally Ferrari will dominate the podiums.

I agree with@Squiggles re Russell. Can’t stand the toff cunt.

Mercedes are a bit behind. Confirmed by that qualifying. But looks like it could be an exciting season ahead.

So the FIA finally admit what non red bull and non max fans have said all along.

Max shouldn't have won the world title last year.

However, it will be allowed to stand because Masi 'acted in good faith'.

The Ferraris looking good is good news. They have a cracking driver pairing too. Mercedes are about three quarters of a second behind, but I believe they know what they are doing. If it's a tight season with more than 2 teams in play, they will be there in terms of points by the end of the season.

The Ferrari customer team especially Magnussen was a big surprise...it will be interesting to see how Mick Schumacher measures against him. If he manages to get well on top then may be he belongs....his mistake ridden laps in q2 makes me think he is more Ralf Schumacher than Michael Schumacher.

The Ferraris looking good is good news. They have a cracking driver pairing too. Mercedes are about three quarters of a second behind, but I believe they know what they are doing. If it's a tight season with more than 2 teams in play, they will be there in terms of points by the end of the season.

The Ferrari customer team especially Magnussen was a big surprise...it will be interesting to see how Mick Schumacher measures against him. If he manages to get well on top then may be he belongs....his mistake ridden laps in q2 makes me think he is more Ralf Schumacher than Michael Schumacher.
Nah. He's closer to Michael than Ralf. What he done in the junior teams is proof of that. If he has his dad as a mentor, I truly believe he'd have been on Verstappens level already.

That Ferrari power unit seems like something else.

Merc will close that gap and be strong in the second half of the season but it could be too late then. Funny to see Bottas out qualify “Mr Saturday”.

Nice to see Perez right up there instead of his usual 12th place.

So the FIA finally admit what non red bull and non max fans have said all along.

I’d have disqualified Lewis at Silverstone so he shouldn’t have won the title.

Did they admit that or did they say there was some human error but not enough to change anything?

Mercedes should focus on out qualifying Bottas in his Alfa than last season’s world champion

Did they admit that or did they say there was some human error but not enough to change anything?

Mercedes should focus on out qualifying Bottas in his Alfa than last season’s world champion
“Misinterpreted” is one of the words used. Which means the whole thing isn’t black and white.

Yep - and like you say there were many other incidents he and the FIA got wrong. There wasn’t bias at play, it wasn’t rigged, it was just incompetence.

Yep - and like you say there were many other incidents he and the FIA got wrong. There wasn’t bias at play, it wasn’t rigged, it was just incompetence.
Agreed they got a lot wrong throughout the season.. but the black and white fact is, Masi got that call wrong.. at the end of a season.

Spin it whatever way you like.

Agreed they got a lot wrong throughout the season.. but the black and white fact is, Masi got that call wrong.. at the end of a season.

Spin it whatever way you like.

He also got the call wrong at the start of the race when Lewis gained position off the track. Numerous bad calls.

Did he “negotiate” the restart grid position for max? Isn’t that unorthodox?

He also got the call wrong at the start of the race when Lewis gained position off the track. Numerous bad calls.
I mean you could argue that Max forced him off. Like he had a few times in the season. He didn't 'gain' a position. He kept the position.

That was a cracking first race in my view. Lots of promising action - the cars do seem much more able to follow each other, many cars mixing it up in midfield and plenty of overtaking. Interesting to see so many pitstops which should lead to more interesting races in the future too if tyre deg remains similar.

I felt Ferrari was getting quick at the end of last year and it is nice to see them establishing themselves as the team to beat. Mercedes will sort their car out within 2 races and we'll have a proper 3 way fight at the top which is awesome and exactly what the new regs were designed to do - move away from the past 6-7 years of 'procession' from Mercedes. No one minds that Merc are part of the fight - they just want a fight.

[article]
5 things we learnt at Bahrain - Guardian

Ferrari are off at a gallop

Quietly confident in testing, Ferrari played down expectations before the season opener. After Bahrain, though, their form cannot be denied and on this performance they are title contenders. The car is fundamentally quick and is a well-balanced platform at which they can begin to throw upgrades as fast as Maranello can churn them out. Equally, in Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz they have a driver pairing more than capable of making a tilt at titles. Leclerc, especially in the manner of his victory, was superb. Calm, confident and driving with steely grit, he has made unforced errors in the past but there were none in Bahrain. Best of all was his no-nonsense precision in the thrilling scrap with Max Verstappen. The Dutchman is used to muscling around the track but when they went wheel to wheel and Leclerc came back at him, particularly at turn four – heading to the outside, braking late and then turning in across the Red Bull – he laid down his own marker in emphatic terms.

Mercedes contemplate the mountain to climb

Third and fourth for Lewis Hamilton and George Russell with a 27-point haul was realistically far more than the team would have expected. They did so well because both the Red Bulls they were trailing retired. Had they not, Mercedes were very firmly the third fastest cars on the track and by some distance off the pace of Ferrari and Red Bull, indeed to the tune of a full pitstop behind Leclerc by mid-distance. Their problem is the porpoising – bouncing – caused by their ground-effect aero stalling on the straights. The team principal, Toto Wolff, has admitted that even contemplating fighting for the championship at this stage is not viable. Yet Wolff, Hamilton and Russell still all exude a quiet calm. There is confidence in the team they will solve the issue, but it will clearly not be in the immediate future. More pain is likely in store in Saudi Arabia and Australia at very least but there is also the suggestion that when the car comes good it will boast fearsome downforce and pace. If they can stay in touch with the leaders until then, and with 23 races planned, no one is writing off the silver arrows just yet.
Haas and Magnussen writing a fairytale

Another key factor in Ferrari’s success was the step forwards they have clearly made with their engine, a fact emphatically backed up by the similar pace shown in the Ferrari-engined Haas and Alfa Romeo cars. The turnaround at Haas has been a truly remarkable tale. They were pointless in 2021 as they focused on building this year’s car and their new season opened in the turmoil of dropping their Russian title sponsor and its pay driver, Nikita Mazepin. Kevin Magnussen was drafted in to replace him, a deal that brought no financial largesse but returned a genuine talent to the team. He put the Haas in Q3 in qualifying for the first time since 2019 and followed it with a consummate drive to finish fifth in the race. Behind Mercedes, Haas were the strongest team in the midfield, while Aston Martin languished at the back and McLaren struggled to solve their brake-cooling problems. “You cannot write a story like this,” said the team principal, Guenther Steiner, impressively given his emotion, managing not to pepper his comments with his usually highly entertaining use of expletives.
Red Bull pay price for pushing the limit

Red Bull didn’t quite have the pace of the Ferrari in race conditions but they were on it enough to challenge until what the team principal, Christian Horner, described as the “nightmare” of both cars retiring with a fuel system problem. It appears likely the issue was to do with the high temperatures of the fuel as the final few litres moved around in the near empty tanks The temperatures are higher this season anyway because of the new part biofuel mix being employed and this can cause evaporation, which damages the fuel pump, ultimately disabling it. Red Bull were the only team not to run a full race distance simulation in testing, when this issue would have manifested itself. They brought so many major upgrades to the car at the last minute their plans were compromised as they had to focus on making sure all the new parts worked. This was successful in that the car is very quick but at the cost of a potential failure that they did not see coming and that proved costly. In their favour is that if they have identified the problem, a repeat is unlikely.
Jury out on new rules

Designed to improve the racing, in the cars’ ability to overtake and to follow one another on track, the biggest regulation change since the 1980s has a lot riding on it. One race was never going to be definitive, indeed a real picture will not emerge until F1 returns to Europe from the outlying circuits of the opening rounds. Yet drivers did generally concede that following was a little easier than it had been and certainly Leclerc and Verstappen diving across one another seemed to back that up, but Bahrain has always lent itself to allowing overtaking. Of more concern at this stage is if the cars can mix it up, whether the tyres are fit to allow them to do so. The new Pirellis appear somewhat fragile, with a range of drivers concerned at how quickly they were degrading and how delicately they had to be treated on opening a stint to maintain their life. This, too, will become clearer as Bahrain is hard on rubber and on brakes, but if the aero plans are working out they will only be successful if there is confidence in the rubber to back them up
[/article]

I have a feeling the tyres are going to fuck it all up this season. They seem a bit shit.

Honest question....do these middle east circuits have proper support teams in place to run a race safely.

They have taken an hours stoppage to resume session after Schumacher crash.

In the first race at Bahrain as well, the safety car seemed to go on and on for ages.

Not to mention Abhu Dhabi last year.....

A circuit like Silverstone or Spa deals with red flags or safety cars a lot quicker.

The design of this circuit is so bad and dangerous.

Honest question....do these middle east circuits have proper support teams in place to run a race safely.

They have taken an hours stoppage to resume session after Schumacher crash.

In the first race at Bahrain as well, the safety car seemed to go on and on for ages.

Not to mention Abhu Dhabi last year.....

A circuit like Silverstone or Spa deals with red flags or safety cars a lot quicker.

The design of this circuit is so bad and dangerous.
Dude. They're used to racing camels. When one of those crashes they just pick up the remains and take it to the desert for the dingos to feast on it. They haven't got a clue when a car crashes or catches on fire. You not see the fear and panic in their eyes when Grosjean was on fire.

#shitthebed

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom