• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Betting Football Trading for profit

Prefix for Betting Threads
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pesam

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ok, I'm not sure about the validity of this as a form of gambling because everyone's opinion of value is subjective making pricing of bets open to debate. I generally win at gambling because I spot a value bet and therefore even if I lose a fair amount of bets, because I get value, I still end up in profit.

However sometimes there are situations where I see a bet where I think the price is "wrong" and will correct itself nearer kick-off as punters come to their senses and it gives me an opportunity to bet on an outcome and then later bet against the outcome and lock in a profit.

For instance, 2 weeks ago I stuck £300 on City to win the league @ 3.7 because I noticed United had LFC and City as imminent fixtures. My rationale was that if United didn't win at Anfield (and I didn't think they would) and City beat Villa - City would be about 3.2 going into the game with United and I could then bet against City winning the league and lock in a profit.

City only went to 3.4, which still gives me an opportunity to trade for a small profit BUT I'm going to leave until I see what team Mancini picks on Sunday. If he picks Aguero, Nasri, Silva, etc i.e. really goes for it instead of playing for a draw, I'm probably going to leave the bet running because I think they have every chance of winning. If City were to win the price would swing dramatically and they would become favourites to win the league allowing me to lock in a juicy profit.

Midweek last week I mentioned that I had layed United winning at LFC @ 2.46 with a view to selling for a profit. Unfortunately I forgot to factor in that I was on the piss in Dublin at the weekend and would have limited internet access so had to sell the bet for a tiny profit @ 2.52 BUT the price went all the way to about 2.7 before kick off so I could have made a fair bit more.

Anyway, hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to do. This is quite experimental as I don't usually trade that often so if you're following this proceed with care. I'll start with a £200 bank.

£175 lay of United beating City @ 2.16 - hopefully I'll trade this back at about 2.3ish as that's the minimum price they should be.

Edit: Actually liability is £174 with potential profit on City/Draw £150.

I'd be amazed if Man City didnt go off closer to 4/6 vs Villarreal next week. Rossi out, they are poor, man city the new barca etc etc.

I'm not sure if they will because for some reason the asian market hates Ipswich. But Millwall 5/4 vs them this weekend looks like a drifter. Closer to 7/4 for me.

Thanks for reminding me about this FOAR. I've decided to scrap the challenge because when I do these bets I always make sure that the team I bet on an outcome that I think will happen anyway i.e Lay of united beating City and this week's lay of Newcastle beating Blackburn.

So what happens is, say I get it right that the price changes in my favour, I don't see the need to sell the whole bet because I still believe it's probably a winning bet so what I do is sell a portion to improve my odds. For instance I layed United £175 @ 2.16 and by kick off time they had drifted to about 2.36ish so I was able to sell some of the bet and end up with a £70 lay of United at 2.0 (Evens) which was great value.

Given that winning at gambling is all about spotting value changing these odds is hugely beneficial even if sometimes you regret it when a bet comes in and you think of how much you would have won if you hadn't sold some.

So, I won't be continuing this challenge because the original idea of selling the whole bet until a profit is achieved on all outcomes is too time consuming and the margins don't justify it.

I'll use this thread to highlight some prices that I reckon will change during the week enabling a chance to improve my odds.

I think you could be right about the Millwall price drifting FOAR but I'm not sure it will drift enough to justify an early bet. The Villareal one I haven't a clue about because I haven't seen them this season but obviously they will miss Rossi so you could be onto something.

Doncaster have just signed El Hadji Diouf! Their price against Middlebro tomorrow night should fall because of this.........

£166 lay of Middlesbro @ 2.30, I reckon they'll go to about 2.5ish

The current Middlesbro price of 2.18 is the perfect example of why I stopped this "trading" challenge. I'm probably right that Middlesbro should be no lower than 2.4 but because betting opinions are subjective the price can move the opposite direction leaving me with a liability on the trade.

The good thing is I never place a trading bet on something that I don't fancy anyway so I can always leave the bet in question to run it's course and see if I was right.

To that end I've layed more of the Middlesbro price @ 2.18 because Donny will give them a good game tonight.

At present my liability on the Middlesbro win is £392 and my potential profit on Doncaster or the draw is £316.

If the price falls under 2.10 I'll invest more.

So far so good, I traded quite a bit @ 2.18 and below and have my average lay price of 2.22, so I'm hoping to back Boro at about 2.34-2.40ish later on (at present they're about 2.28-2.30)

I've also being laying Hull heavily (£329 liability) @ 2.52ish because they're more a 2.74ish chance to beat barnsley. If this price doesn't budge I am considering leaving my stake and making this one of my few "Big" bets this season.

£200 lay of Cardiif City winning at Derby @ 2.46, they shouldn't be any lower than 2.70-2.76

"wrongest" price I've seen this season........I've layed £300 against Crawley beating Bury at the weekend at 2.6 (and I have another £100 on offer @ 2.58)

Bury are at home and a league above Crawley and are a decent enough team. IMO the odds should be something like Bury @ 2.5, Draw @ 3.35, Crawley @ 3.2

Even if the price does change in my favour I might leave this bet in place because I reckon Bury are better than Crawley.

Ireland should not be 2.36 away in Estonia, should be at least 2.6-2.66

Layed £1,035 on Ireland to win £761.

I will not leave this amount of exposure by kick off but I'm hoping the price moves soon and I can "sell" some or all of the bet and lock in either a guaranteed profit or a much better price.

[quote author=Pesam link=topic=47210.msg1424495#msg1424495 date=1321001895]
Ireland should not be 2.36 away in Estonia, should be at least 2.6-2.66

Layed £1,035 on Ireland to win £761.

I will not leave this amount of exposure by kick off but I'm hoping the price moves soon and I can "sell" some or all of the bet and lock in either a guaranteed profit or a much better price.
[/quote]

I've extricated myself from this bet at break-even. International football is rarely profitable for me until the major championships begin. I can't make head-or-tail of Estonia's form (losing to Faroes and then winning in Serbia! etc) so I'll leave this alone.

The odds have changed slightly so if I'd waited a bit longer I could have sold the bet for about a £12 free bet on any outcome but hardly worth losing sleep over.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=47210.msg1424881#msg1424881 date=1321047993]
Good call !
[/quote]

They were very limited weren't they. How the hell did they win in Serbia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom