• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Football Finance

It's not hard to appreciate the concerns they have in other leagues. The amount of money in the PL now is insane.

I actually don't mind the ESL. I can understand why fans of other clubs are opposed to it. I am not quite sure why LFC fans are militantly against it. I would be 100% against it if the game were somewhat fair. But it is not. It is rigged. Soon, we will have Newcastle and City exchanging PL trophies. Once PSG, Newcastle, City crack the CL code, it is also going to go that way. Money and greed killing the sport, that train left the station a long time ago. The head of PSG runs UEFA now, it is a joke. Why dont we also get on it?

Even in a hyper-commercialized competition, if there is some sense of equity, it will be a better product than what it is now. Look at US sports, for example. Yes, some of the things they do are cringeworthy. But once the playoffs begin in NFL, it is so difficult to predict who is going to win which adds a whole new dimension to the sport.

So if UEFA cannot ensure some sense of equality, give the ESL a shot? How bad will it be?

A disaster. It's true that greed is damaging the sport already but that's no reason whatsoever to complete the process by taking this final step. At top level it'll take the game away from the vast majority of fans, who in many cases are barely able to cover matchday expenses as it is, and are not going to be able to afford travelling to away games any more if going abroad becomes the norm rather than an occasional exception. Below top level the game will atrophy as well, since everyone will know they have no prospect of breaking into the rich men's club. Their chances may be slim currently but they have just enough to justify hoping and trying. A European Super League will blow that out of the water once and for all.

Maybe the game is doomed anyway. It may even be that some are OK with helping it on its way. I don't share either view, but IMO that's where an ESL will lead.

Games already gone. The connection with the fans is entirely one way, as FSG see us nothing more than willing cashpoints.

If the ESL happened, it's not becase of the greed of a few clubs; it's down to the unabashed greed of most clubs, as well as UEFA over the last 30 years.

FA already killed some of us, UEFA tried. Fuck them

A disaster. It's true that greed is damaging the sport already but that's no reason whatsoever to complete the process by taking this final step. At top level it'll take the game away from the vast majority of fans, who in many cases are barely able to cover matchday expenses as it is, and are not going to be able to afford travelling to away games any more if going abroad becomes the norm rather than an occasional exception. Below top level the game will atrophy as well, since everyone will know they have no prospect of breaking into the rich men's club. Their chances may be slim currently but they have just enough to justify hoping and trying. A European Super League will blow that out of the water once and for all.

Maybe the game is doomed anyway. It may even be that some are OK with helping it on its way. I don't share either view, but IMO that's where an ESL will lead.

I feel that is where the current version of UEFA is leading the game to and to a certain extent ESL can help slow it down. Right now the chairman of PSG is leading UEFA. In another 10 years, I expect the big dons in UEFA to be the chairman of City, PSG, Newcastle, and some other super rich billionaire (maybe Musk) making all decisions.

My understanding is that ESL wants to move towards a more US style model. I agree that there are a lot of things cringy and unacceptable with US sports - over commercialization, franchises moving cities, etc. But I think if we adopt some of the other features in European football, more equitable revenue sharing or more transparent revenue sharing, wage caps - we could have a better game overall.

I wouldn't dream of supporting ESL if UEFA made an effort to implement FFP somewhat reasonably.

[article]PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi says they're open to minority investment.

Their Qatari owners have no interest in offloading the club, that have enjoyed huge commercial success, but would be open to offloading a percentage.

"We received an offer of more than 4 billion (euros) but we are not going to sell, of course, just a percentage of the club, we'll think about it," he told TalkSport.

Al-Khelaifi added: "We took the club at 70 million euros and today it's over 4 billion euros. It's a good project, We don't do everything right, of course we're not perfect. From where we bought the club I think we should be proud."

Al-Khelaifi, who has slammed the coverage of the World Cup in his homeland, also gave an update on the future of Lionel Messi, who joined from Barcelona 18 months ago. The Argentine has been linked with a move back to Spain as well as the USA, but the PSG chief is confident the player is happy in France.

“He is with us. He is a Paris Saint-Germain player and has a contract with us. He has a contract with us and we will see at the end of the season. He's happy in Paris," added Al-Khelaifi.[/article]

[article]Local journalist Sandro Sabatini insists Suning will sell Inter Milan before the end of the season.

Sabatini says sale talks have now intensified.

"One piece of news I can give you is that Inter won't finish 2023 with Zhang's ownership. They tell me that it's a matter of a couple of months for the sale of Zhang's shares, but I don't know if it's a US fund or an Arab buyer," Sabatini revealed on Radio Radio.

“I learned that the change of ownership is much closer and more concrete than what has already been said, they gave me a deadline of about two months.

“It's a delicate matter, Goldman Sachs, funds and brokers are all at stake. However, sometimes you find a friend who has somehow infiltrated things, and who tells you that things are proceeding in this direction and I report them. They are people you can trust."[/article]

[article]
Inside FSG's £240m Anfield plan as naming rights deal could hand new owners major boost
An in-depth look at Liverpool's Anfield Road development project as naming rights remain on the table for owners FSG

If Fenway Sports Group are well into their final act as owners of Liverpool FC, the monument to their Anfield progress will be there for all to see by the summer of 2023.
Whenever FSG do eventually decide to hand over the keys to the Shankly Gates, they will walk away from Merseyside having dragged one of the most iconic sporting venues on the planet into the 21st century.
Perhaps, for all the success enjoyed under the managerial reign of Jurgen Klopp, the true stamp of the Americans' era will be the infrastructure put in place during their tenure. Having finally made the decision to vacate the famous Melwood site, the move to the AXA Training Centre two years ago is one that will hold the next generation of Reds stars in good stead at Kirkby.

But while 'the AXA' - as it is informally referred to - is the all-purpose facility needed for a modern, top-level football club to improve, it is FSG's redevelopment of Anfield that is the more obvious emblem of their accomplishments to a worldwide fanbase.
The £110m redevelopment of the Main Stand enabled Liverpool to take Anfield's overall capacity from 45,000 to 54,000. The giant structure officially opened in September 2016 as the Reds hosted Leicester in front of their biggest crowd since 1977. A total of 53,075 packed themselves into the ground to watch the Reds tear the then-champions apart as Klopp's side convincingly won 4-1 on the day.

A six-week consultation period with local residents was undertaken for that in October 2014 after Liverpool City Council had unanimously approved the application to rebuild the Main Stand. In-house research further alerted Liverpool to the power of their sprawling fanbase, with an estimate suggesting the club had 580m supporters across the planet. It made the expansion of the ground something of a no-brainer.
“That size of fanbase means there’s a tremendous amount of opportunities out there for the business," CEO Billy Hogan told the ECHO at the time. "We’ve got an international fanbase and supporters come from across the world because they want to visit Anfield. We saw that passion this summer during the tour of the USA, which was replicated in the Far East and in Australia the previous year."
Renaming of Anfield itself had never been on the agenda, for obvious reasons, but senior figures at the club did consider naming rights for the Main Stand before it was established that revenue could be raised through the individual hospitality boxes within the stand itself instead.
“We have always tried to be on the front foot and pioneering in the area of commercial partnerships," said former commercial director Olly Dale in August 2017. "Our partners provided a critical stream of income that enables us to be competitive and give Jurgen (Klopp) and the football team the resources they need to be successful too. It’s about having high quality partners that enables the club to keep moving forward."
Like the Main Stand, naming rights is something that is once again under consideration for the Anfield Road project. Liverpool have not disclosed how much they earn specifically from AXA's moniker, but an estimate suggests the insurance firm pays £30m per year to have their logos on the Reds' Nike-branded training kits and the complex itself.
That, effectively, means the ground has already paid for itself having passed its two-year anniversary earlier this month. It's easy to see why naming rights appeal for clubs across the continent when they, through naming rights usage, effectively become additional infrastructure at no extra cost.

"We haven't finally decided yet how to proceed with that specifically at the moment," the club's managing director Andy Hughes told the ECHO earlier this year. "There are obviously opportunities to sponsor some lounges, so we're still reviewing it all."
Over the summer, CEO Hogan confirmed the prospect of naming the Anfield Road stand was still under consideration, telling The Athletic: "It's certainly something that we will consider. We didn't for the Main Stand; we may for Anfield Road. We wouldn't say no to it, but it's not something we're actively pursuing currently. That size of fanbase means there’s a tremendous amount of opportunities out there for the business."
But how much would the rights be worth for any would-be sponsor of the stand that currently houses the away support on match-days?
"There are some compelling reasons why naming rights sponsorship is worth the money," writes advertising strategist Kim Skildum-Reid. "There are also some big pitfalls. First and foremost, naming rights sponsorship gives you a dominant platform for leverage. No one else in the sponsorship roster will have access to what you do. No other sponsor will have the control to create the perfect benefits package that you do.
"If you want this huge platform, however, you have to be prepared to use it. When you buy any sponsorship, you are buying opportunity, not results. It is leverage that provides the results. This is no different for naming rights, except the opportunity is that much bigger, and if you don’t make something of it, the opportunity wasted is massive.
"Which brings me to a downside of naming rights: It’s like buying a license for corporate laziness. It’s big. It’s visible. It’s just so easy to get self-congratulatory about it and forget that it has to be worked."
Amazon owner Jeff Bezos, who is currently slated as the fourth richest man on the planet, has paid a reported $400m for the right to rename the KeyArena in Seattle as the Climate Pledge Arena and naming rights for stadia is commonplace among American sports, particularly in the NFL, where teams regularly turn out at the likes of the Levi's Stadium, the FedEx Field and the MetLife Stadium. It is the Premier League and the upper echelons of European football where the Reds will be able to compare and contrast any real potential revenue streams, however.
Manchester City are reported to earn £15m a year from Etihad Airways, while Bayern Munich fetch just under £7m from insurance firm Allianz. Arsenal are said to earn £40m a year from Fly Emirates to sponsor both the club's kits and the stadium itself.
In 2016, Hogan flew to China to meet different companies whose interest on becoming naming partners for the Main Stand was strong. Liverpool were eager to find a partner who could commit to a 10-year deal worth between £70-£90m. A similar situation could still come to pass over the Anfield Road end with over eight months to go until the first fixture is played in front of the new stand.
Coincidentally, the idea for naming rights is said to be traced back to 1912 when Fenway Park opened in Boston. According to influential American finance publication, Forbes, the home of the now FSG-owned Boston Red Sox was housed in the Fenway neighbourhood of the city but the building's proprietor at the time also had a realty company by the same name.
Over 100 years later, the Fenway organisation are once again weighing up the merits of selling off the rights for sponsorship.
"Another upside for really big naming rights (think: stadiums) is that there are a number of studies that have shown that, upon announcement of naming rights," adds Skildum-Reid. "The company’s market capitalisation increases significantly. That said, those same studies also show that, in most cases, those increases are not sustained for very long.
"In any case, I know it’s a factor in some decisions, and if you look at stadium naming rights in America, the fact that over 50% are currently held by banks, car companies, and airlines – three of the industries under the most pressure in the past few years – I don’t think that’s a coincidence."
The road to this point has been a long winding and costly one for Liverpool. Initial consultation began way back in November 2019. The club distributed over 5,000 leaflets to people who live around the area to gather feedback on the proposed expansion of the stadium.
The plans were designed for local residents, businesses and supporters to learn more about the aim of increasing the Anfield capacity. A web portal was subsequently published online for anyone seeking more information, while a pop-up stand on Anfield Road was also set up before games against Brighton and Everton in December of that year.
That move came after the club had taken the decision to scrap existing plans to redevelop Anfield. FSG allowed a September deadline to lapse before drawing up fresh blueprints that increase capacity beyond the 60,000 barrier. Liverpool were met with some resistance for those initial plans before concerns were largely soothed by the public consultation process of the winter.
Plans were then shelved in April of 2020 as the ramifications of the coronavirus pandemic started to become more obvious. Liverpool placed a 12-month pause on the work in the hope they would be better placed to navigate their way through further down the line.
The pandemic came at a cost for Liverpool. The building of the additional seats, which were drawn up by London-based architects KSS who also handled the AXA project, were initially slated to cost £60m but that has now risen to £80m when it came to a ground-breaking ceremony that was attended by Klopp in October 2021. Before then, planning permission was officially given in June when the planning committee voted 6-2 in favour of the expansion.
"Everything's better with fans," said Klopp as he braved the elements to plant the first spade in the ground last year. “But 53,000 were not bad, to be honest, it already feels like 100,000. I cannot imagine how 60,000 will feel. I really love the idea!
“Since I’m here – and not because I’m here but since I’m here – so many things have happened which obviously show [the importance of fans]. With all the great history of this club, and building the future as well: the training ground, the Main Stand and now this new stand. It’s absolutely incredible.
“It’s very important, I know there is some criticism in moments where we don’t invest – but this club [has] always invested, just slightly differently. I like the idea of that."
[/article]

[article]
Critical Liverpool takeover update as £5.1billion issue flagged
Per another report, also from Football Insider, prospective Liverpool investors have been made aware that the Premier League’s domestic broadcast rights could fall in value by as much as £750million ahead of the next rights cycle. It states that Liverpool pocketed an estimated £162.3m in media income in 2021/22 and are projected to announce total revenue of over £600million for that campaign.
However, a source for the site which they claim is based at a football research consultancy, has said that ‘interested parties have been made aware that domestic TV rights are likely to wane in the next three years’.
The report added: “The current broadcast deal – which was agreed with Sky, BT Sport and Amazon in May last year – is worth £5.1billion and runs until the close of the 2024-25 season.”
[/article]

[article]More than 50 Manchester United supporters groups have listed their demands of potential buyers of the club - including a commitment to not joining the European Super League and continued development of the women's team.

The Glazer family, who bought United in 2005, revealed in November they were exploring "strategic alternatives" for the club - one of which was selling it.

In an open letter, fan groups said they want any new owner to "nurture and invest" in the club, and recognise it as "more than just a commercial asset".

The demands of any potential bidders include:
  • A commitment to clearing the club's existing debt and funding future capital expenditure through new share issues
  • Investment in the men's, women's and youth teams as well as investment into the club's infrastructure to modernise Old Trafford and the training ground
  • Shared ownership with the fans as partners, plus fan representation on the main company board
  • The words 'Football Club' being restored to the club's badge on the shirt
  • Continued development, support and promotion of the women's team
  • Commitment to never again seeking to enter a competition like the European Super League without the definitive consent of fans
  • Maintaining the affordability of match tickets for fans
  • The open letter has been co-signed by official United supporters groups such as the Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST) and the MUFC Women's Supporters Club, as well as branches around the UK and abroad.

It said it would be "helpful" for potential bidders to "understand what supporters want from any new owner, in order to secure the support of the fans".[/article]

[article]

Manchester United to end front-of-shirt sponsorship deal with TeamViewer

A statement read: "United will be taking the opportunity to commence a focused sales process for a new shirt front partner in a normalised market."; TeamViewer will remain on the front of United's shirts until a new sponsor is found
Friday 16 December 2022 06:57, UK
skysports-antony-manchester-united_5997980.jpg

Image:Manchester United are seeking a new front-of-shirt sponsor
Manchester United are seeking a new front-of-shirt sponsor after agreeing to end their deal with German company TeamViewer.
A five-year deal was only signed with TeamViewer for the company to replace Chevrolet in March 2021.

TeamViewer's name will remain on United's shirts until a new sponsor is found.

A statement released by the club, said: "After a period of collaborative, private discussions over the past months, Manchester United and TeamViewer AG have reached a mutually-beneficial agreement under which Manchester United shall have the option to buy back the rights to the club's shirt front sponsorship.

"Having agreed its partnership with TeamViewer at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, Manchester United will be taking the opportunity to commence a focused sales process for a new shirt front partner in a normalised market.
"Once a new shirt front partner is selected and takes on this role, TeamViewer will continue as a valued member of Manchester United's suite of global partners, providing Manchester United with remote connectivity solutions, until the end of the original contract term in 2026.

"Since July 2021, TeamViewer has benefitted from unparalleled global exposure as the most talked-about shirt front partner in world football, following the most visible launch for a football club partner in the digital era.
"TeamViewer's financial commitments to Manchester United remain unchanged whilst they remain the club's shirt front partner, after which their financial commitments will reflect their status as a global partner. No further announcement will be made until Manchester United has selected a new partner to replace them on the front of its iconic shirt."

[/article]

F'k me! These guys make Hicks and Gillet look like Warren Buffet

[article]
Why Manchester United have seen their net debt and operating loss increase
Man Utd have posted their latest financial results and they have made a significant loss compared to last year, with net debt also rising.

SPORT
By
Tyrone MarshallSenior Football Writer
  • 12:41, 22 SEP 2022

United's operating loss has increased (Image: Manchester United via Getty Images)

Manchester United's net debt has risen by £95million in their latest financial results, with the club blaming the increase on dealing with losses as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The results for the year to June 30, 2022, saw net debt increase from £419.5million to £514.9million, a jump of 22.7%.
But that rise is primarily down to the use of £100million on a 'revolving credit facility' to offset the £200million lost during the pandemic.
READ MORE: Antony and Sancho must do for United what Pogba couldn't
Included in the latest financial statement, United said: "Net debt as of 30 June 2022 was £514.9 million, compared to £419.5 million as of 30 June 2021, an increase of £95.4million primarily due to £64.6 million of unrealized foreign exchange losses on the retranslation of USD borrowings in addition to a further drawdown on our revolving facilities of £40.0 million, partially offset by a £10.5 million increase in cash and cash equivalents."
United have also seen their net loss rise to £115.5million for the year, with operating loss at £87.4million, a rise of 137% from the previous year.

That jump is down to an increase in player wages after a significant summer of transfer activity in 2021, with Jadon Sancho, Raphael Varane and Cristiano Ronaldo joining the club. Employee benefit expenses for the year were £384.2 million, an increase of £61.6 million.
United also spent £24.7million on exceptional items, which includes compensation paid to "former men's first team managers, certain members of the playing, coaching and scouting staff, and certain non-playing staff".
The club also paid out dividends totalling £33.6million during the year, mostly to the Glazer family. United expect to post revenues of £580million to £600million this year, despite playing in the Europa League.
In announcing the latest financial results, chief executive Richard Arnold said: “Our club’s core mission is to win football matches and entertain our fans. Since our last earnings report, we have strengthened our men’s first-team squad, completed a successful summer tour, and established a foundation to build from in the early stages of the 2022/23 season under our new manager Erik ten Hag.
"We have also continued to develop our women’s team with an aim of reinforcing our position among the leading clubs in the Women’s Super League.
"Ultimately, we know that the strength of Manchester United rests on the passion and loyalty of our fans, which is why we have made fan engagement a strategic priority. While there is a lot more work to do, everyone at the club is aligned on a clear strategy to deliver sustained success on the pitch and a sustainable economic model off it, to the mutual benefit of fans, shareholders, and other stakeholders."

[/article]

[article]
Sources: £30m-a-year announcement imminent after Liverpool green-light controversial deal

Liverpool NFT partner Sorare plans to announce a Premier League-wide licensing deal in the first quarter of 2023, Football Insider has learned.
The deal, which has previously been reported as worth £30million-a-year over an unspecified contract length, will see the company provide digital collectables for the top flight.

The Premier League agreed a deal in principle with fellow NFT firm ConsenSys in March last year, but the agreement soon collapsed after the crash in the cryptocurrency market.
A source has now told Football Insider that Sorare will pick up where ConsenSys left off and hope to make the deal official as early as possible.

The agreement will go ahead despite criticism from the political sphere, with the promotion of cryptoassets in sports having been scrutinised in the House of Commons as recently as November.
Finance expert Kieran Maguire has previously told Football Insider that the crypto and NFT industries are “insidious” and have “zero standards” in terms of the risks they pose to consumers.

But some analysts also claim that commercial partnerships with blockchain specialists have helped Premier League clubs not only survive the pandemic but emerge from it in an arguably stronger position

Liverpool are one of a handful of Premier League sides whose players are officially licensed and whose trading card-style representations are already available to buy in Sorare.
It has been reported elsewhere that the top flight are also in negotiations with another NFT company, DapperLabs, with a view to a separate commercial arrangement.

[/article]

That's more than I believe any sports team anywhere in the world

[article]
Paris Saint-Germain’s £645m wage bill sets new record, report finds

GettyImages-1244365049-scaled-e1673436162765-1024x683.jpg

By Omar Garrick
Jan 11, 2023

Paris Saint-Germain have recorded the highest-ever wage bill for a professional football club at €728million (£645m) a year, according to Football Benchmark’s European Champions Report 2023.
Last summer, PSG signed players including Lionel Messi, Sergio Ramos and Achraf Hakimi, which resulted in their wage expenditure increasing by 45 per cent. The reigning French champions also handed Kylian Mbappe an extended contract in the summer of 2022.
Their sky-rocketing costs have resulted in record net losses of €369m for the 2021-22 season in their latest financial figures.
In September, PSG were fined by UEFA after breaching financial fair play (FFP) regulations. They were ordered to pay an unconditional €10million — either directly or through revenue earned from involvement in UEFA club competition — with €55m depending on compliance with future targets over a three-year period.
Speaking to The Athletic, Antonio Di Cianni, head of football economics and strategy at Football Benchmark, said PSG may need to change their financial strategy.
He said: “The methodology was very simple in the sense that the vast majority of the information included in the Champions Report are coming from either the public financial statements from each club or in a couple of instances from the club themselves that we have contacted in advance and they have shared with us the key financials.
“For PSG, the numbers are staggering but in a way it was expected.
“Can this be sustainable? Well UEFA signed a settlement agreement with PSG in September so I think the fact they surpassed the €700million losses in the past three years made UEFA warn them with a settlement agreement and with some limitations that are a consequence of such a settlement agreement.
“So PSG must somehow come back to some more viable figures in the next three years to that federation of the agreement in place.
“But then every club is different because PSG clearly suffers from the low TV rights market of France, and suffered from a limited capacity last season at the Parc des Princes because they are usually one of the best in terms of matchday revenue.
“They want to build a new stadium but there is a big debate with the mayor of Paris and the president of PSG because he wants to either expand the current stadium or play somewhere else in Saint-Dennis (Stade de France), which is almost twice as bigger than Parc des Princes. PSG use their stadium in full capacity but now it’s difficult to get money out of it.
“So the third leverage where they really make the difference is commercial revenue thanks to their ties with the Arab world.
“Out of every club and every country, surely Manchester City and PSG can be comparable but City play in the Premier League, which is much more attractive in a capacity perspective of course.”
Real Madrid were a distant second on the wage bill list at €519million (£458m) after their salary costs rose 29 per cent due to bonuses paid for winning the Champions League.
City’s wage bill stood at €418million (£369m), up four per cent year on year.
ARSENAL-FFP-1024x683.jpg

GO DEEPER

[/article]

Back
Top Bottom