• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Football Finance

I know of one particular agency (who look after a number of top PL players) and they still charge 5% of the GS.

10 years of spending, look at some of the churn along with the expenditure. Real Madrid are definitely saving up
[xtable]
{thead}
{tr}
{th}#{/th}
{th=colspan:2}club{/th}
{th}Expenditure{/th}
{th}Arrivals{/th}
{th}Income{/th}
{th}Departures{/th}
{th}Balance{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}1{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Manchester City{/td}
{td}£1.50bn{/td}
{td}264{/td}
{td}£549.26m{/td}
{td}269{/td}
{td}£-951.20m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Juventus FC{/td}
{td}£1.43bn{/td}
{td}539{/td}
{td}£924.01m{/td}
{td}532{/td}
{td}£-507.32m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}3{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Chelsea FC{/td}
{td}£1.42bn{/td}
{td}342{/td}
{td}£979.75m{/td}
{td}339{/td}
{td}£-444.95m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}4{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}FC Barcelona{/td}
{td}£1.39bn{/td}
{td}160{/td}
{td}£879.03m{/td}
{td}149{/td}
{td}£-507.12m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}5{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Manchester United{/td}
{td}£1.34bn{/td}
{td}172{/td}
{td}£384.57m{/td}
{td}174{/td}
{td}£-958.17m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}6{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Paris Saint-Germain{/td}
{td}£1.27bn{/td}
{td}182{/td}
{td}£409.73m{/td}
{td}165{/td}
{td}£-855.32m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}7{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Atlético de Madrid{/td}
{td}£1.03bn{/td}
{td}220{/td}
{td}£936.05m{/td}
{td}212{/td}
{td}£-92.61m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}8{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Real Madrid{/td}
{td}£991.04m{/td}
{td}133{/td}
{td}£816.44m{/td}
{td}127{/td}
{td}£-174.60m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}9{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Liverpool FC{/td}
{td}£977.38m{/td}
{td}205{/td}
{td}£590.46m{/td}
{td}199{/td}
{td}£-386.92m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}10{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Arsenal FC{/td}
{td}£968.46m{/td}
{td}198{/td}
{td}£425.02m{/td}
{td}199{/td}
{td}£-543.44m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}11{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Inter Milan{/td}
{td}£941.97m{/td}
{td}558{/td}
{td}£725.58m{/td}
{td}552{/td}
{td}£-216.39m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}12{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}AS Roma{/td}
{td}£940.33m{/td}
{td}517{/td}
{td}£774.64m{/td}
{td}509{/td}
{td}£-165.68m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}13{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}AS Monaco{/td}
{td}£866.80m{/td}
{td}327{/td}
{td}£880.20m{/td}
{td}325{/td}
{td}£13.40m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}14{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}AC Milan{/td}
{td}£838.50m{/td}
{td}442{/td}
{td}£383.37m{/td}
{td}431{/td}
{td}£-455.13m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}15{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Tottenham Hotspur{/td}
{td}£797.56m{/td}
{td}197{/td}
{td}£593.28m{/td}
{td}211{/td}
{td}£-204.28m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}16{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}SSC Napoli{/td}
{td}£739.08m{/td}
{td}409{/td}
{td}£522.16m{/td}
{td}398{/td}
{td}£-216.93m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}17{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Bayern Munich{/td}
{td}£719.37m{/td}
{td}112{/td}
{td}£338.40m{/td}
{td}101{/td}
{td}£-380.97m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}18{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Everton FC{/td}
{td}£695.41m{/td}
{td}202{/td}
{td}£412.74m{/td}
{td}198{/td}
{td}£-282.67m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}19{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Borussia Dortmund{/td}
{td}£681.40m{/td}
{td}135{/td}
{td}£799.21m{/td}
{td}135{/td}
{td}£117.81m{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}20{/td}
{td}{/td}
{td}Sevilla FC{/td}
{td}£599.88m{/td}
{td}237{/td}
{td}£611.42m{/td}
{td}232{/td}
{td}£11.54m{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

[article]
Liverpool finished third for shirt sales in Europe in 2021 with 2.45m sold, with Real Madrid (3.05m) and Bayern Munich (3.25m) completing the top three.
This comes from the Euromerica Sport Marketing group (via Football Transfers), with the Reds finishing a place above Manchester United who sold only 1.95m jerseys in the same period of time.

With Mo Salah one of the most marketable footballers on the planet at the moment – not to mention the Reds possessing one of the most exciting XIs in world football – it’s hardly surprising to see the club performing so well in the sales charts.

As far as finances are concerned, we’ve no doubt our owners, FSG, will consider it a victory as part of our revenue-making streams, with us looking a highly marketable side as a whole under talismanic boss Jurgen Klopp.
It doesn’t necessarily mean that we’ll be able to go wild in the summer window and secure the next best thing in the sport, though it can hardly hurt our chances of being able to properly fund some necessary acquisitions for the middle of the park and forward line.
[/article]

The club has just put out a statement about the 2021 accounts.
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/lfc-announces-financial-results-year-may-31-2021
Quick summary is results sound (a lot) better than I would have expected. They usually put a press release out towards the end of Feb after the accounts are filed (deadline is Monday) but before Companies House makes them available to download. I’ll keep an eye out for the detailed accounts dropping on Companies House and give you my take when I’ve had the chance to look at them. Usual suspects on Twitter (Swiss Ramble, Price of Football will probably get there first but hopefully I can add some extra insight for anyone who’s arsed).

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/lfc-announces-financial-results-year-may-31-2021
Quick summary is results sound (a lot) better than I would have expected. They usually put a press release out towards the end of Feb after the accounts are filed (deadline is Monday) but before Companies House makes them available to download. I’ll keep an eye out for the detailed accounts dropping on Companies House and give you my take when I’ve had the chance to look at them. Usual suspects on Twitter (Swiss Ramble, Price of Football will probably get there first but hopefully I can add some extra insight for anyone who’s arsed).
They were expecting losses on the magnitude of £100m plus, and to be at £4m is brilliant. So this years revenue with all things being on level, will top £600m plus

Make sure you focus on the main part that we all care about.

Have Barcelona paid the 42 million they owe us for Coutinho?

They were expecting losses on the magnitude of £100m plus, and to be at £4m is brilliant. So this years revenue with all things being on level, will top £600m plus
Agree on the profit but necessarily on the revenue. Part of the reason the revenue was so high was due to the delayed media revenue for the Premier League. So we lost a chunk in 2020 due to the season being curtailed, but that money then went into the following year (basically you've got EPL media revenue for 47 games played in the financial year, 9 of which are from the prior period). And whilst the 2019-20 media revenue was slightly reduced because the timing of the fixtures didn't meet the contractual requirements, we did, you know, win the league that year so our share of the (slightly smaller) pie was the biggest it had ever been.
We should see an increase in the 38-game equivalent revenue in the current season because we're doing better than last season (and potentially will go further in the Champions League) but when you take out those 9 extra games it will drag the figures back down year on year. Haven't done calculations so I may be wrong, but my sense is we won't see quite the big up-tick we might otherwise expect.
I think we really need to look at the impact over the two years, which was a bottom-line loss of c £50m. That's pretty good, but is partly due to (all but) winning the league in financial year 2019-20, plus the Champions League extra revenue for winning the final (which was on 1 June so fell into 2019-20, when the competition was actually for 2018-19). The other driver of relatively good financial performance will be player trading - a few profitable sales and not much new spend hitting the P&L. Will be easier to put some meaningful analysis to this when I see the 2020-21 accounts as player trading per accounts is often massively different to what you might assume.

Last edited:
We won the league in that period didn’t we? Loads paid out if so.
Yes, but in accounts terms it’ll only be the difference between bonuses for 2nd and bonuses for 1st which will have been charged - we were guaranteed 2nd at the end of the previous year so that would have been charged then. Suspect a lot of players will have most of their bonus geared towards Champions League qualification and the extra for champions wouldn’t be that high.

This guy has some decent insight and comments. Worth a read.
Interesting that we are looking at a record breaking turnover this year at 550 mill +.
In other words some decent money for the transfer kitty.

For all the shite FSG gets, the club is well run financially.

City with £100M more revenue than United and Liverpool. Absolute sham

Our finances seem better than expected given COVID.

Happy with that review. fully expected everything to be a bit shit again.

Back
Top Bottom