• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

FA CUP 3rd Round - WOLVES (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought all along squad depth would decide the title.

City will comfortably retain the league when our injuries pile up.

Our only hope would be if we went out against Bayern but fuck that.

I've thought all along squad depth would decide the title.

City will comfortably retain the league when our injuries pile up.

Our only hope would be if we went out against Bayern but fuck that.
To you they’re already comfortable with a 21 point lead. To the rest of the world they’re not feeling all that comfortable, trailing us by 4 and sitting on around the same goal difference.

I've personally got no issue with teak selection. Milner, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Keita Lovren and Origi have enough natural talent to have got a result there. It will take a huge points haul to win the title this year and points can't afford to be dropped. Whoever finishes second this year will ammase enough points to win the league nine times out of ten.

The tactics were a bit shit and the team was unmotivated and lifeless, but overall I can't say I'm gutted to go out. That isn't a statement of how little the FA Cup means to me. Just that bringing home the title is everything.

Last edited:
Jones is not ready for first team football. Far from it to be honest
Also, Camacho shouldn't play at rb

Didn't see the game, but here's Hoever:

Simply amazing, it's not until watching it back like that that you can appreciate how good it was. In every way that was as good a performance as could have been expected from e.g. Lovren. And at 16 yrs old. And on his debut. Awesome.

I've personally got no issue with teak selection. Milner, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Keita Lovren and Origi have enough natural talent to have got a result there. It will take a huge points haul to win the title this year and points can't afford to be dropped. Whoever finishes second this year will ammase enough points to nine 9 times out of ten.

The tactics were a bit shit and the team was unmotivated and lifeless, but overall I can't say I'm gutted to go out. That isn't a statement of how little the FA Cup means to me. Just that bringing home the title is everything.
Reasoning of that ilk will not be appreciated on here.

Cheer up mofos

Wolves 2 Liverpool 1: The Match Ratings

by Ben Johnson | Jan 7, 2019 | 7 comments

JESUS Christ.
That first half was pretty bad, weren’t it? Second half weren’t much cop either, mind you.
Aye Aye Big Si: 5
I mean, I don’t know. Spent years watching him not be at fault for goals but never making a one-on-one save. The opposite of what you want in a keeper in them situations. Makes himself smaller than you would imagine is possible. He’s like the opposite of Mary Poppins handbag. Shite. That’s probably harsh. I couldn’t give two fucks, William.
Got the footwork of a dead horse wearing Timberlands for that second. Glued to his line when Hoever was desperate for him to come and help him second half. Nothing but that dead-eye stare. The deadest of eyes.
Playing upfront for the last few minutes > the rest of his Liverpool career.
I truly hope, from the bottom of my heart, that we never, ever have to watch him play for Liverpool ever again. If we do, something has gone drastically wrong.

Rafa Camacho: 5
Decided to play right wing and fuck off the defending bit there for the first half an hour; like Philly Degen but higher up the pitch, which takes some doing. Genuinely, not sure what position he was playing
Seemed like most of what we seen first half was The Reds chasing their lads after we had lost the ball, and then Camacho popping up at the bottom of the screen in what can only be described as a token retreat. Better second half in that he played a bit like a right back.
Degsi Degsi Big Dog: 7
In fairness, best he played all season that. Didn’t put a foot wrong. Reckon the Big Dog’s ego couldn’t cope with Virg getting a rest and him having to play. I’m not saying there’s nothing wrong with him, but remember when he went off at The Kop end on gas and air with a broken ankle on the Wednesday and played on the Saturday? Fucking Lazarus, lad.
Fabinho: 7
Did alright first half in fairness, but makes the decision to dive in when he might have been better served staying on his feet. Not surprising that, really. Natural instinct as a midfielder is to dive in and win it knowing you having a couple of fellas behind you to mop up if you don’t win it. Actually thought he did alright throughout and had a bit about him.

Albie Moreno: 5
Loves letting a fella run off his shoulder, doesn’t he? Like that stock photo that always bounces round Twitter of the fella with his bird next to him, while he is looking at the other bird over his shoulder — except Albie is the fella, his bird is where he thinks his man is, and the fancy piece is his actual man, yet the dopey fucker still hasn’t realised so is smug as fuck. Time delay between his eyes and his brain of about 40 seconds.
Genuinely must be some fella in the dressing room to still be knocking around this first team, like fucking Ant and Dec rolled into one. Fucking fun time Charlie. Up there with the worst left backs to play for us in my lifetime, and I watched John Riise aimlessly twat shots at walls for what felt like 20 fucking years.
James Milner: 6
Tried to get The Reds playing from the deep midfield role, but there was nothing doing first half and also it takes a specific skillset to play that role, one of which is looking after the ball under pressure. Pretty dismal for the goal. Gives it away first of all, then just decides to let their lad run in on goal and then did a Klinsmann. Kept going as you would expect and grafted his balls off.
Curtis Jones: 5
A thousand Scouse points out of a thousand for being the Scousest fella since Jimmy Corkhill, there. Feel sorry for the young lads when they have to play in a team with this many changes, with no rhythm and first-team players who tend to be shite in these games.
Looked sharp when he got the ball, just didn’t get the ball much first half. The problem then is, when you do get it, you try and make something happen. Tried to force it, gave it away in the dangerous area, two minutes later… 2-1. One of them, init? Would like to see him and all of the young lads, with a full-strength team, one at a time, not all lumped in together.

Big Shaq Not In The House: 5
Can see why people said he was shite at Stoke last year, can’t you? It’s hard sometimes looking good in a shite side, because when you get it you have no one to give it to. Then when someone else gets it they either can’t find you, don’t see you, or give it away while trying. How the fuck has that freekick not gone in?
Naby Keita: 5
Coupe of nice touches first 20, but then drifted out of it when The Reds needed the midfield to stand up for themselves. Looked absolutely jiggered last 20, like he was running in treacle, which is a worry on its own, and then plays that one out when Salah was in space, which was pretty shite and also a worry. I’m worried about him, you know.
Divock: 7
Worked his plumbs off there, didn’t he? Showed for every ball, didn’t give up, scored a belter. Fair play, Big Div.
Dan Sturridge: 4
An absolute waste of time, there. Did fuck all, and I mean that. Not a thing. Seriously, what impact did he have on the game? Drifted about between their lads when we were without the ball. Drifted about between our lads when we had it.
Granted, its hard to play well upfront in a team that isn’t clicking, but fuck me. The only thing he did in the first 67 minutes was get the foul for the Shaq freekick. Deserved to be fucking dragged off. That said, he’s never going to be the type of player to run shuttles and chase shadows, so maybe that’s a bit harsh? Fuck even knows anymore.
SUBS
Hoever: 7

Spent the game cleaning up everyone else’s shite there, didn’t he? Soz. Fancied himself like Jari on the ball there, didn’t he? Did incredibly well for a 16-year-old.
I was listening to Be Here Now on repeat and wearing a light blue cagoule that would have fit John Candy when I was his age. Boss dribble out from the back. Made a few mistakes but so would you playing in front of him, and in the same backline as the other fella.
Salah/Firmino:
You know why they are some of the best players in the world? They fucking graft when the team needs them to graft, even though they are better than every other fucker on the pitch.

They're some shite ratings.

Anyway the only thing I'd be arsed about is whether playing next to gutter tier so called first team players and getting beat will annoy the kids who played well. Keita needs to sort himself out.

Glad we're out the cup, but it does show the shocking squad depth.

Cheer up mofos

Divock: 7
Worked his plumbs off there, didn’t he? Showed for every ball, didn’t give up, scored a belter. Fair play, Big Div.
Dan Sturridge: 4
An absolute waste of time, there. Did fuck all, and I mean that. Not a thing. Seriously, what impact did he have on the game? Drifted about between their lads when we were without the ball. Drifted about between our lads when we had it.
Granted, its hard to play well upfront in a team that isn’t clicking, but fuck me. The only thing he did in the first 67 minutes was get the foul for the Shaq freekick. Deserved to be fucking dragged off. That said, he’s never going to be the type of player to run shuttles and chase shadows, so maybe that’s a bit harsh? Fuck even knows anymore.

I think the Sturridge text could equally be given to Divock in the first half. In the second half however he turned up his effort and took his chance. Still not a great performance but we didn't give any of the front line the opportunity to over perform.

The problem with these wholesale rotations for the cup games is that the youth or fringe players don't get to play with the good players, and so generally fail to impress (Hoever aside). Add one of them in to a team full of 10 regular starters and they would probably show more, but as it is they are written off as crap as they don't have the ability to polish turds.

Gomez playing center back in a cup game last season is a good example

This is not how my first RAAAATINGGGGGS of 2019 should look like! Although the City result was worse, admittedly.

Well, let's get the cliches and all the polarising views of the "lesser cups" out of the way. Yeah, we'd all prefer to win the League over anything else. And yeah, I'd have swapped a win vs City last week over progressing in the FA Cup in a New York Minute. But we've lost both. And I'm a fan of winning trophies.

And it's weird how that hoary old trope "winning is a habit" is - SHOCK! - based on actual data and facts. Look at the emergence of City with the Arab money. They didn't kick off their trophy spree and subsequent league titles by winning that first. Nope. They won the FA Cup. And The Mekon's first trophy with them was the League Cup. Same with Mourinho at Chelsea. Teams who know how to win, win more often.

So that's that. Klopp's dreadful FA cup record goes on. And it is dreadful. But if we win the league nobody will care. If we don't, the lack of any trophy in his managerial reign is eventually going to get him sacked at some point. He rotated and changed the side, as expected, but the number of changes and personnel, allied with the litany of excuses is not pretty given the subsequent result and performance. Two defeats in two. Habits, again.

Mignolet (5) Could he have done more for the first? Yeah. And the second goal was a beauty, but he was fucking MILES away from where he should have been standing when Neves hit it.

Camacho (6) Like his enthusiasm and confidence, but he was positionally naive at times and isn't ready for the first team proper yet.

Lovren (n/a), sub Hoever (7). Very impressive given his tender years. Some nerves and sloppiness was expected, but what wasn't was the incredible bravery in possession and his confidence on the ball. Super debut.

Fabinho (7) Left stranded after a typical lunging tackle missed the mark for the first goal, but recovered after that to put in a decent showing and coped well.

Moreno (5) Average. Showed his usual dynamism in attack, but didn't do enough with the ball. Put Milner under needless pressure with his pass that led to the series of errors for the Wolves goal, and is so one-footed he makes Riise look like Paolo Maldini.

Milner (5) Seemed overwhelmed by the responsibility of babysitting such an inexperienced side, and ended up neglecting so many of them that social services should have been notified before he put one of them in the oven and drowned the rest.

Jones (5) Didn't do anything apart from one run and cross. Oh, and giving the ball away. Ordinary at best, although in his favour he looks like the most Birkenhead scally ever; ketwig and wispy muzzie in full effect.

Shaqiri (5) Hopeless in the first half, but got a bit more involved later on, and unlucky with a scorching free kick that Ruddy figertipped onto the woodwork.

Keita (3) Did his usual impression of a befuddled Angolan child soldier who's been airlifted out of a combat zone and dropped straight into the middle of a football match. Was bypassed easily, gave the ball away and then hid from it. Fucking dreadful.

Sturridge (4) Trudged about the periphery of the game, and was given no service, apart from hopeful balls booted into the air.

Origi (6) He's not every good, but he scored, after an utterly hapless first 45 minutes. So well done.

Subs: Arsed
Klopp: Less arsed.

The problem with these wholesale rotations for the cup games is that the youth or fringe players don't get to play with the good players, and so generally fail to impress (Hoever aside). Add one of them in to a team full of 10 regular starters and they would probably show more, but as it is they are written off as crap as they don't have the ability to polish turds.

Gomez playing center back in a cup game last season is a good example

Absolutely right. It's no good promoting under-23s to play alongside under-23s - they already do that in the under-23s. All the kids that Hodgson played against Northampton in that League Cup game didn't take anything from the experience except embarrassment and demoralisation. They lost all momentum and were soon out the club. It was much the same for those who played against Exeter and West Ham a couple of years ago - most lost much of their self-belief and started going backwards. All this crap about how 'it's all good experience' excuses the mismanagement involved whenever this happens. I've a deep interest in the young players, I'm always willing them to succeed, so I'm far from an enemy of seizing opportunities to give them chances in the senior team, but this kind of approach has nothing to do with responsible uses of such players. They get sudden big exposure, followed by days of mockery and trolling by the media and social media, then they're back playing to about a hundred spectators and a dog in the freezing gales of Kirkby. It should never happen again.

Absolutely right. It's no good promoting under-23s to play alongside under-23s - they already do that in the under-23s. All the kids that Hodgson played against Northampton in that League Cup game didn't take anything from the experience except embarrassment and demoralisation. They lost all momentum and were soon out the club. It was much the same for those who played against Exeter and West Ham a couple of years ago - most lost much of their self-belief and started going backwards. All this crap about how 'it's all good experience' excuses the mismanagement involved whenever this happens. I've a deep interest in the young players, I'm always willing them to succeed, so I'm far from an enemy of seizing opportunities to give them chances in the senior team, but this kind of approach has nothing to do with responsible uses of such players. They get sudden big exposure, followed by days of mockery and trolling by the media and social media, then they're back playing to about a hundred spectators and a dog in the freezing gales of Kirkby. It should never happen again.

Your point is well-taken, but you can also make an argument that the really good ones will stand out even in these less-than-ideal circumstances. Like Hoever did last night.

Last edited:
Your point is well-taken, but you can also make an argument that the really good ones will stand out even in these lads-than-ideal circumstances. Like Hoever did last night.

Hoever is one of those ridiculously precocious players who really don't come along that often. Owen was another. I'm not sure it's fair to expect that each year, or even every few years. I can't recall many examples of players standing out, in a good sense, in those sorts of rag-bag teams. I can recall quite a few who did when mixed in with a generally stable and familiar team selection.

Sturridge should be getting a (1). And that's for winning a dangerous freekick. Besides that he barely broke into a jog.

The only thing he's useful for is bringing on in the last 5 mins, and hoping he pulls off a worldie.

Not enough output for the wages he's on. He needs replacing.

Sturridge should be getting a (1). And that's for winning a dangerous freekick. Besides that he barely broke into a jog.

The only thing he's useful for is bringing on in the last 5 mins, and hoping he pulls off a worldie.

Not enough output for the wages he's on. He needs replacing.

He had a stinker, too true, but he had the worst possible service, when he had any service at all. We all know what he can (still) do when he's playing in front of players who know where he likes the ball played. (I'm a fan of Curtis Jones but, really, he should have been subbed at half time, he had a shocker, and what with him and Moreno down the left, nothing was being created for the forwards on that side for much of the game.) Sturridge is not going to race around like Rush, pressing and forcing mistakes. It's a bit late in the day if people suddenly expect him to. He's never has done that. Origi was even worse, I felt, but thankfully he seems to have found this lucky knack of scoring out of nowhere.

He had a stinker, too true, but he had the worst possible service, when he had any service at all. We all know what he can (still) do when he's playing in front of players who know where he likes the ball played. (I'm a fan of Curtis Jones but, really, he should have been subbed at half time, he had a shocker, and what with him and Moreno down the left, nothing was being created for the forwards on that side for much of the game.) Sturridge is not going to race around like Rush, pressing and forcing mistakes. It's a bit late in the day if people suddenly expect him to. He's never has done that. Origi was even worse, I felt, but thankfully he seems to have found this lucky knack of scoring out of nowhere.

Personally I felt Origi was better. He actually moved around a bit. When he lost the ball, he chased back to retrieve it. That alone, before the goal, meant he was going to get a higher rating than Sturridge.

I used to love the man, but I don't see a place in the team for him. He doesn't work hard enough to complain about a lack of service. Salah (in comparison to everyone else) has average work rate. But he scores and works hard (offensively; makes countless runs in behind; if the ball doesn't come, he has the right to complain about lack of service). Sturridge doesn't work hard defensively or offensively. There's nothing really redeeming about his play except giving him the ball to feet and hoping he does something special. I just don't think we have space in the team for him any more.Suarez (and superhuman workrate) really did make him look better than he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom