• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - Monday 27th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

6TimesaRed

Not a Bot....
Administrator
Match 7: Italy v Spain, 18:00 (Saint-Denis) - BBC 1

Match 8: England v Iceland, 21:00 (Nice) - ITV 1

Last edited:
So, big night for Woy and the boys. And some very unexpected team news.

Everyone knew Rose, Walker, Rooney et al would start, and most expected Kane too (and you could make a tactical case for that, given Iceland's predilection for sitting deep, which gives Vardy little space to use his biggest asset - I wouldn't though)

So the only real surprise is Sterling. Again, tactically there's apparently sound logic for dropping Lallana for Sterling (even if it might be injury-related); Sterling is more likely to score, and is also quick. Lallana, for all his work-rate, actually creates little, and scores rarely (or never, for England).

That said, whatever team England play, it's fucking Iceland. Lose against them and Hodgson and co need shooting.

My only main worry from England's point of view was whether Roy would bench Sturridge, he didn't so I am not too fuzzed about the rest. Kane or Vardy is a bit of coin toss isn't it, one pacier the other stronger both a goal threat. Not sure whom I had picked for this game to be honest but I can understand why he's giving Kane another shot at it.

I'd probably also pick Sterling over Lallana so all in all, and that is obv rather scary, I am kinda agreeing with Roy in his selections.

Could be a fun, nervy match to watch - or a rather one-dimensional one should England actually start to score on the many chances created.

Last edited:
My only main worry for England's point of view was whether Roy would bench Sturridge, he didn't so I am not too fuzzed about the rest. Kane or Vardy is a bit of coin toss isn't it, one pacier the other stronger both a goal threat. Not sure whom I had picked for this game to be honest but I can understand why he's giving Kane another shot at it.

I'd probably also pick Sterling over Lallana so all in all, and that is obv rather scary, I am kinda agreeing with Roy in his selections.

Could be a fun, nervy match to watch - or a rather one-dimensional one should England actually start to score on the many chances created.

I thought the biggest discussion was around Sturridge or Vardy, as I expected Kane to start, but I'm pretty surprised about Sterling.

Maybe it is an injury scare that helped make the decision.

Iceland average 29% possession in this tournament. Kane over Vardy is the right call IMO because we are going to be playing against a tall, packed, defence most of the game. Likewise I can see why Sterling is being brought back ... I just hope he's not as shite tonight as he has been for the rest of Euro 2016.

There's sportswriters all over the world licking their lips at the amount of "frozen" puns that are possible.

That doesn't really work, even if spelled correctly.

Are breezes always frozen? I suppose they are cold, sometimes.

OK, pass. 5/10

It wasnt meant to be a pun. If england loose today, think it will be like the england team in the world cup (1958?) who lost to america.

3/4 -1

I think we'll make a meal of it, loads of possession, loads of shots, and a scrappy 1-0 win or something.

I'm guessing there's some salty non-english posters in this thread by the looks of it. Cmon England.

I don't mind this England team actually. Even Rooney is somewhat tolerable on the pitch.

Walker the most dislikable character but I kinda enjoy him as a player and when he is not being a cunt.

Oh and then there's the Liverpool players of course.

Iceland has done very well and I too love a good story of underdogs doing well but their journey ends tonight, I am certain.

Spain slow of mind and body.

I see Conte is going to fit right in at Chelsea - I hate the cunt already.

I cant stand these cheating cunts but there's no denying Italy deserve to be ahead .. and by more than the one they have.
Spain have De Gea to thank for two superb saves (hopefully this will persuade Real to meet his buyout clause).

I have doubts about Conte's 3-5-2 system working in the EPL, but he is a great, great manager. I have a lot of respect for Del Bosque as well, I'm curious what adjustments he will make at half-time. It's not over for Spain yet, thanks to De Gea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom