• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Escaping the Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

If someone read through the match thread without watching the game, they would think Wolves were camped in our penalty box the whole game, created a gazillion chances and we stole it at the end Newcastle-style. That was far from the case. Basically an open game with some chances for both sides, more of the clear-cut ones for us, but mostly thwarted by good defending on both ends. Mane's injury affected our balance and we did seem to lose our way a bit – I would have taken a draw in the middle of the 2nd half, but we had enough quality to make another push late on with 2 great chances for Firmino, one of which he put away. The presence of mind to make those dissecting passes late in the game after 80 minutes of punishing physical contest is what separates champions from the rest.

Excellent performances from Hendo, Virge, Gomez, Alisson and Salah for his work-rate and chance creation. Fabinho was rusty, Minamino clearly off pace, but that's to be expected. Klopp didn't have too many other creative options to replace Mane with Lallana, Milner, Keita and Shaqiri all injured. Kudos to Klopp for switching to 4-1-4-1 late on which gave us back a measure of control.

Last edited:
What an away win. Wolves caused us lots of problems.

Hopefully the mane injury isn’t too serious

Give the first team a rest for the weekend.

Henderson superb again

Last edited:
Impressed with Gini’s fitness, he was running until the final whistle. Like others i thought Minamino was the wrong sub, he’s not ready for this yet.

Not too nervous watching the game. Matured heads on the head, good calm mentality to the end. Yet another contributing goal from another outside our front 3. Great team!

And.... 27 points to the finish line... 9 more wins out of 15 games left for us to play.​

Yep, it was a great game where Wolves made us look very uncomfortable and caused us problems, but they only got through us a couple of times. We should have dealt with them better, but we still had the most possession, and shots on target, and would have won comfortable if Salah wasn't such a greedy cunt.

A draw was the fair result on the balance of play, but you've got to take your chances, and we did.

A win is a win. On balance of play it could have gone either way. More than happy we picked up the win.

Very calm and insightful analysis from Klopp. Interesting that he mentions that Taki "felt his calves already at half-time and was lying on the bench" Do you know how when players play pre-season games, they look like they leaden weights on their legs, because they are playing through the tiredness of those grueling training sessions? I'm guessing Minamino is going through some extra strength or endurance training to bring him closer to the physical condition of the rest of the squad, so when he does play it's almost like a pre-season for him all over again. There is no solution to this other than just grinding through this period of adjustment – he obviously didn't come close to replacing what Mane brings to this team, but at least he worked extremely hard at closing down spaces and showing for the ball.

Last edited:
We should have won the game before they scored , we HAVE to be more clinical , especially if we want to beat Atletico and other top sides

We should have won the game before they scored , we HAVE to be more clinical , especially if we want to beat Atletico and other top sides
Atletico have their own worries, they just lost against a division 3 side in the cup.
And yes we need to be more clinical, but Salah needs to let go of the ball. He's taken his selfishness to a different level.

Would be nice to reach Atletico on the back of 3 more wins, with City hopefully dropping points at Tottenham. A 21 point lead with 12 to go would have me more relaxed. Would be nice to win the Champions League too, but really not bothered at the moment.

When watching the game - it felt a lot worse than what it was, but in summary:

1) Both defenses were good, there was a midfield battle.
2) most of their attacks (except for two) were kept at bay by forcing them to go wide, but they still reached our final third where they fluffed their lines - they did that quite often and is probably the reason why it felt kind of a dodgy victory on our part.
3) we were shit with lame shots in front of goal - some good chances where both Salah and Firminho failed to score. They do need to be more clinical.
4) Much of our passing was all over the place.

Also this Salah is a "cunt" thing is a little too much. If I was him - I would also be tempted to hold onto the damn ball because our forward play was very bad today in terms of supplying the ball at the right time to the front line - nothing was happening. As for being greedy and passing to Ox when he took the shot - I don't blame him coz he was in a good position. My main issue with Salah is that his passing is not so measured at times and it annoys me and for some reason this season his shots don't seem like they are hit with much force or conviction.

All I can say about our midfielders is that when the game is very competitive and tight and our strikers need support - Keita is more valuable to us in moving us forward than Ox. Also have to say that when Fab came on - there was a lot of space around him - suddenly the midfield looked like an open space to exploit - the guy has presence !!!

For the number of games theyve played, Wolves are an incredibly fit side.

Thought 2nd half they’d go back in their shell a bit but they grew and grew into it.

Atletico have their own worries, they just lost against a division 3 side in the cup.
And yes we need to be more clinical, but Salah needs to let go of the ball. He's taken his selfishness to a different level.
Salah will always be selfish, did you never play with that guy at in park who always took the shot on but sometimes passes when he got bored? No point moaning about it in his 3rd season at LFC when he’s 28, not gonna change. Don’t have a problem with it in general. But not his best game but was a threat. Chamberlain was crap, there’s a reason he’s constantly substituted at around 65-70 mins when he starts. Kieta is a big upgrade when fit or should that be if...

Salah has been making chances for others including couple for others against united but no one took them. Give it up with constant Salah agenda, can we not enjoy a group of players without picking away fuck sake.

And agree with Rurik on the thread summary, regardless of the Wolves praise in the main thread, they played well but we had the better chances I thought and should have taken more.

Last edited:
The problem isn't that salah is selfish, it's that he loses the ball a lot, and he isn't finishing well.

He's playing like he will get back to some point where everything he touches goes in, so he just needs to work shooting opportunities. I don't think he will ever get back there. It would be neat if his game matured a little.

Salah is doing his job.

While i have not read the contract he signed with Liverpool, I don’t imagine “be a selfish dickhead” is included in it, but who knows.

He is, bar none, the most infuriating player to watch on this team. His inability to make the simple pass to put someone through on goal is frustrating. Not sure who it was next to him in the first half (Minamino?) but he had a tap in if Mo doesn’t hog the ball and in the 70th minute Ox is wide open in the box and Salah hogs it again.

Wolves are a good team and beating them at home is impressive. Traore is a monster and gave us fits. Overall a fun game to watch with good end to end action.

I don't care whatever. True there were quite a few misdirected passes but give wolves the due, they pressed us quite impressively. True Salah could have passed to Minamino and Ox but took the shots himself which were blocked and wide. But he helped create the opportunity for Henderson to assist Firmino for the goal. This is team sport. We have a great team that wins games. The team mentality is monstrous. Long may it last. Long may it last. TEAM YNWA.

I don't care whatever. True there were quite a few misdirected passes but give wolves the due, they pressed us quite impressively. True Salah could have passed to Minamino and Ox but took the shots himself which were blocked and wide. But he helped create the opportunity for Henderson to assist Firmino for the goal. This is team sport. We have a great team that wins games. The team mentality is monstrous. Long may it last. Long may it last. TEAM YNWA.

Actually, the only reason Hendo got to that ball is not because Mo created anything, but because in his effort to dribble past 10 legs he lost control of the ball and landed in front of Hendo, who threaded the pass to Bobby.

Actually, the only reason Hendo got to that ball is not because Mo created anything, but because in his effort to dribble past 10 legs he lost control of the ball and landed in front of Hendo, who threaded the pass to Bobby.
True Salah lost the ball but he dragged 5 players (or more?) towards him for Henderson to make the easy pass to Firmino in wide open space.

Lucky chances. I accept all of them.

True Salah lost the ball but he dragged 5 players (or more?) towards him for Henderson to make the easy pass to Firmino in wide open space.

Lucky chances. I accept all of them.

Yeah, drag players then release the ball. This isn't the first time his loss of possession leads to a goal, and of course it's because it draws attackers to him, but what if he did it intentionally more often. That's be fun!

Reactions: Y1
Salah should have passed on 2-3 occasions. But I guess they will adjust that.

Heads and legs are tired and was pushed even further by a good Wolves team. They should get Credit for the way they handled their game and in the end it was more even game than any this season.

Klopp adjusted his own tactical mistake by reverting to a 451 from that 442 he started second half, and we regained the lost possesion and controlled the last 20 minutes better. Gave us a few really good chances to win the game and a typical Liverpool move win it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom