• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Confirmed Transfers 19/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisandro Martínez - Ajax (€7m)

[article]
Ajax have signed Argentine centre-back Lisandro Martinez from Defensa in another strong suggestion that Matthijs de Ligt is on his way out.

Martinez, 21, has agreed a four-year contract at the Johan Cruyff Arena and is the Dutch champions' fourth signing of the summer already.

He has won one cap for Argentina, playing the friendly match against Venezuela in Madrid back in March.

Martinez is the second centre-back Ajax have signed this summer after the arrival of Kik Pierie from Heerenveen and he will join up with his new team-mates on July 1.

It raises speculation that De Ligt, the club captain, will move to Barcelona or another European heavyweight in the coming weeks.

Ajax director of football Marc Overmars believes Martinez has all the attributes to succeed at the Champions League semi-finalists.

He told the club's official website: 'Martinez is a left-legged player who can handle multiple positions in the back. He is a defender who wants to play football ahead.

'He brings along a certain mentality that we can use well here, comparable to what his fellow countryman Nico Tagliafico shows here.

'And Lisandro is still young, so we expect that he will continue to develop into an even better player in the coming years.'

Martinez made 55 appearances for Defensa, playing an important role as they finished second in the Argentine Primera Division, four points behind Racing.

Ajax have also signed goalkeeper Kjell Scherpen from Emmen and attacking midfielder Razvan Marin from Standard Liege this summer.
[/article]

Thorgan Hazard - Borussia Dortmund (€25.5m)

[article]Eight-time German champions Borussia Dortmund have signed midfielder Thorgan Hazard from fellow Bundesliga club Borussia Mönchengladbach ahead of the 2019/20 season.

The 26-year-old has signed a contract with BVB until 30 June 2024.

"We're delighted that Thorgan has decided with total conviction to join Borussia Dortmund. He's an experienced Bundesliga professional and a Belgian international who will help us with his tempo and his finishing quality. He has consistently demonstrated his class over the course of the past few years," said BVB sporting director Michael Zorc.

Hazard made 35 appearances for Mönchengladbach last season, scoring 13 goals and notching 12 assists. He is one of the most hard-running players in the Bundesliga, having covered a remarkable 20.29 kilometres in sprints in 2018/19.

Thorgan Hazard said: "I'm thankful for the five great years and very fond memories I had at Borussia Mönchengladbach. Now was exactly the right time to take the next step in my career. I'm proud to be able to play for Borussia Dortmund. They're a top club with incredible fans."

All parties involved have agreed not to disclose the terms of the transfer.[/article]
Julian Brandt - Borussia Dortmund (€25m)

[article]
Borussia Dortmund have signed Germany international Julian Brandt from fellow Bundesliga club Bayer Leverkusen ahead of the new season. The 23-year-old has signed a contract until 30 June 2024 with the Black & Yellows.

"Although Julian Brandt has already been playing in the Bundesliga for some time and has lots of experience at both national and international level, at 23 years of age he's still a young player with lots of potential for development. He can be deployed in several attacking positions and will enhance our game with his creativity," said Borussia Dortmund's sporting director Michael Zorc of the new recruit from Leverkusen.

Brandt, who was born in Bremen, made his Bundesliga debut at the age of 17 and has already racked up 165 appearances in the German top flight, notching 34 goals and 41 assists. He has also featured in the UEFA Champions League 15 times. Last season, he was one of the best-performing players in German professional football in terms of goals and assists combined (ninth place in the Bundesliga ranking) as well as the number and speed of sprints made.

"I'm a person for whom gut instinct and having a good feeling is important when it comes to decisions," said Julian Brandt, adding: "When it comes to Borussia Dortmund, I have a very good feeling. I would like to continue my personal development, that's one of the main reasons for my transfer. BVB came extremely close to winning the title last season. So there's room for improvement. I have high hopes with the lads, I'm very motivated and optimistic – not just when it comes to my development as an individual, but the development of the entire team too."

The transfer is still subject to the final details being clarified between the two clubs.
[/article]

Steve Evans - Gillingham (First Team Manager)

[article]
Steve Evans has been officially unveiled as Gillingham Football Club’s new first-team manager.

The 56-year-old former Leeds United, Crawley Town and Rotherham boss agreed to take the vacant position on Sunday after negotiations with club Chairman Paul Scally.

Paul Raynor will be his Assistant.

Evans, whose most recent job was at Peterborough, spent his entire professional playing career in his native Scotland as a striker, however a serious injury forced him to retire at the age of 24.

After leaving the game he returned to Football in 1994, taking over at non-league Stamford who he led to the United Counties Football League Premier Division title before resigning to take over at Boston in 1998.

Two promotions followed
(Evans had two spells as Boston manager) prior to agreeing terms to become Crawley’s new manager in the summer of 2007. Once more, the Scot guided a club to the Football League after winning the Conference in his fourth season at Broadfield Stadium.

In April 2012 Evans was appointed the new manager at Rotherham United and two more promotions followed, one from League Two as runners-up to Gillingham during the 2012-13 campaign before winning the League One Play-Off Final against Leyton Orient in 2014. He would remain at the New York Stadium for just over another year before parting company with the club, alongside assistant Paul Raynor.

A month later he took over at Elland Road to replace Uwe Rosler as boss at Leeds United. Steve was there for just seven months but won 14 of his 38 fixtures in all competitions and guided the club to safety in the Championship.

After leaving Leeds in May 2016 Evans stepped away from Football for six months before taking over at Mansfield Town. His spell in League 2 lasted 15 months before resigning his post to take over at Peterborough United, a job he would keep for just under a year before being replaced by Darren Ferguson with the club sitting sixth in Sky Bet League 1.

In total, Evans has won 43.2% of all league fixtures he has taken with all clubs mentioned above.

The former Albion Rovers striker takes over at Priestfield, replacing Steve Lovell.

Chairman Paul Scally said he was delighted to get his man. Speaking to the gathered media he said:

“It’s important we try and get ourselves into the Championship; we work very hard off the field to try and increase incomes and we are ambitious.

“If you have a winning team, and a successful team, then people have less to moan about. Everyone should unite and get behind the management team and I’ve appointed the best candidate that I’ve had applications from, or interviewed.

“I would like the fans to trust my decision and enjoy the ride.”

Steve Evans said he is looking forward to working with the Chairman and believes the foundations are in place to build a competitive squad.

He added: “It’s a challenge but I’ve seen the passion and determination of the Chairman and he wants success. We will try and get every penny spent appropriately.

“Promotions are hard to get and you have to earn them. We will work hard to create unity and improve on last year.”
[/article]

Hong - Wolves

[article]Wolves have signed promising British-Chinese midfielder Hong on a two-year deal, with the 18-year-old set to become a member of Rob Edwards’ successful under-23 side at the start of the 2019/20 season.

The former captain of Yeovil Town’s under-18s spent almost ten years coming through the Academy at Charlton Athletic before making the switch to The Glovers when he was 16, helping Yeovil reach the club’s highest level of youth football.

Croydon-born Hong, who is of Chinese and Malaysian heritage, admits he found it hard to contain his excitement regarding his move to Wolves.

“It’s a great opportunity and I’m very grateful to have been given a chance to be at such a great club,” he said.

“We’ve all seen how well Wolves have played this season, not just the first-team but the under-23s as well, and it’s certainly a club that’s on the rise. It’s a great feeling to be part of it.

“I was captain of the under-18s at Yeovil Town last season and we had a good run where we reached the highest ever placing of the club at that age group, so I had a very good season there, but I’m excited to now be here at Wolves.”

Hong is expected to join up with Wolves’ development team when they return from their summer break next month, but he has already experienced training with the under-23s.

He added: “I would love to crack on and get myself in and around the under-23s next season, hopefully break into the team, and then I hope to make the step-up into the first-team.

“Being in and around the first-team at Wolves would be brilliant. From the short time I’ve been here you can already see the high standards of the club. To reach Europe in their first season in the Premier League is outstanding and you can see that the club is in the ascendancy.

“It’s just a great thing to be part of and I can’t wait to get started.”

Academy manager Scott Sellars believes Hong’s ability and personality will see the new signing easily settle in at Wolves. He said: “With every player we look at bringing in to the Academy, first and foremost they must have the ability. Hong’s been training with us recently and definitely has the ability, but he also has a great personality and clearly loves playing football.

“We’re hoping he’s going to bring these qualities to Wolves and expect him to fit in well with the programme we have in place in the Academy.

“Throughout the Academy, we have an objective to develop players not just for the first-team at Wolves, but also for a future career in professional football, and due to our ownership under Fosun, there is a large emphasis on developing young and talented Chinese players.

“In all aspects, this deal works for everybody as we are bringing in a player who we believe has a lot of potential and we can also give him the time at Wolves which he needs to develop into a promising player.”
[/article]

Philippe Clement - Club Brugge (Head Coach)

[article]
The coach of Belgian champion Genk has turned his back on guaranteed Champions League soccer to join runner-up Club Brugge, which will play in the competition's qualifying rounds.

Brugge says Philippe Clement is returning to the club where he won the league title twice as a player.

As Belgian runner-up, Brugge will need to beat two opponents to play in the Champions League's 32-team group stage. Genk goes directly into the group stage after winning its fourth league title.

Clement spent 18 months as Genk coach, where he also played in the 1990s before one season with English club Coventry in the Premier League.
[/article]

Jonas Lössl - Everton (free transfer)

[article]
Goalkeeper Jonas Lössl will join Everton on 1 July, signing a three-year contract until the end of June 2022.

The 30-year-old Denmark international has penned a pre-contract agreement with the Blues and will move to the Club when his deal with Huddersfield Town expires at the end of next month.

Lössl made 31 Premier League appearances for the Terriers in 2018-19, having initially joined the Yorkshire club on loan from German side Mainz 05 the previous season.

Lössl began his career in Denmark at FC Midtjylland before signing for Guingamp in June 2014, spending two seasons with the French team.
[/article]

Tomas Holy - Ipswich (free transfer)

[article]
Czech 'keeper to pen two year deal and relishing helping Blues in promotion push

Town have agreed to sign goalkeeper Tomas Holy when his contract ends with Gillingham next month.

The 27-year-old will join Blues on a two year deal with a year option on top.

The 6ft 9in ‘keeper began his senior career with AC Sparta Prague in the Czech Republic, going on to represent FC Graffin Vlasim, FK Viktoria Zizkov and FC Fastav Zlin, all on loan.

Capped by the Czech Republic up to U18 level, he joined Gillingham in January 2017 and clocked up 107 appearances for the club.

He played every minute of the campaign for Gills last term
and will report for pre-season training with Blues.

“I enjoyed my two years at Gillingham and want to thank them for the opportunity they gave me but it feels the right time to take up a new challenge at Ipswich,” Tomas told the Club website.

“It's a massive club and I’m looking forward to meeting up with the squad for pre-season and will be ready to play my part in helping Ipswich try to get back in the Championship.”
[/article]

Chris Löwe - Dynamo Dresden (undisclosed)

[article]
Chris Löwe has today completed a permanent transfer to 2. Bundesliga club Dynamo Dresden.

The terms of the 30-year-old’s transfer to the German side will remain undisclosed.

Chris joined Huddersfield Town from 1. FC Kaiserslautern in the summer of 2016 and played a huge role as the Club gained promotion to the Premier League. Scoring twice in 45 appearances that season
, he also netted vital penalties in the shootout wins against Sheffield Wednesday and Reading to help Town on the way.

‘Lowey’ followed that up with 25 appearances in Town’s debut Premier League campaign, playing a big part in the Club maintaining its top-flight status.

Another 31 appearances followed in 2018/19, which means Chris departs having made 101 appearances for the Terriers in all competitions over three seasons.

Huddersfield Town Head Coach Jan Siewert explained:

“Everyone at the Club is sad to see Chris leave, but we’re happy to have this move sorted so quickly.

“Chris is a good player and a fantastic guy. At 30, he has a young family to consider and when he told me he wanted to return home this summer, we had to do the right thing for him. Dresden is a great club and is very close to his family home, so the move made sense for everyone.

“On behalf of Huddersfield Town, I wish Chris all the best for the future. He played a big part in helping this Club achieve some special things over the last three years and he has been top-class since I arrived here in January. He’s earned his place in this Club’s modern history.”
[/article]

Ludovit Reis - Barcelona B (€3.25m)

[article]Ludovit Reis has signed a contract this morning with FC Barcelona player. He did so this morning at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper in the presence of director Silvio Elias, the head of professional youth football at the club, formalizing the deal for the next three seasons, through to 2022, with an option in place for a possible addition of two years. The transfer fee for the move from FC Groningen is €3.25m, and the player will have a release clause of €100m.

The Dutch midfielder passed a medical yesterday afternoon. The signing of the contract was also attended by Football Sporting Manager, Josep Segura , and the heads of professional youth football, José Mari Bakero and Guillermo Amor.

Ludovit Reis will turn 19 years old on June 1. Over the last two seasons, he has played a total of 50 official matches with the Groningen first team, for whom he scored two goals. Born to Slovakian parents, he has held a Dutch passport since July 2018. Reis trained at Hoofddorp until 2015, when he joined Groningen's youth setup. He debuted with the first team on September 21, 2017 against USV Hércules in a Dutch Cup match. His first appearance in the Eredevisie came a month later, against AZ Alkmaar. He has represented the Netherlands at Under-19 and Under-21 level.[/article]

Aziz Behich - İstanbul Başakşehir FK (undisclosed fee)

[article]Aziz Behich’s ill-fated switch to PSV Eindhoven is over with the Australia defender on his way back to the Turkish Super Lig to join Istanbul İstanbul Başakşehir FK on a three-year deal.

Behich, 28, was unable to crack the first team under head coach Mark van Bommel, and a parting of the ways was agreed with two years of his contract still to run.

It’s believed he is already in Turkey undergoing a medical with the club set to finish as runners up to Galatasaray.

They trail their Istanbul rivals by three points with a game to go but have a vastly inferior goal difference.

Behich, who could be playing UEFA Champions League football next season with his new club, will head into Socceroos camp early next month ahead of the June 7 friendly international against Korea Republic in Busan.

He made just four Eredivisie appearances and two in the KNVB Cup after signing from Bursaspor after last year’s FIFA World Cup - was linked with a move to Fenerbahce back in 2017.

Only European rules limiting the number of clubs a player can represent in a single season scuppered a January move, as his agent Mikkel Beck sought to find a solution to Behich’s lack of game time in the Netherlands, where PSV finished runners up to Ajax in the title race.

That solution has now been found with the capital city’s fifth team, who were promoted in 2014 and finished runners up in 2016-2017.

Behich was handpicked by van Bommel to join him in Holland after the two worked together in Russia, where the Dutch legend was assistant to then Socceroos head coach Bert van Marwijk.

Behich signed for PSV along with fellow defender Trent Sainsbury, who has suffered a similar lack of first team opportunities.

During his time in the Netherlands Behich - who remains Australia’s first choice right back - made two more appearances for the national team than he managed for his club.

“Mark van Bommel (PSV coach) doesn’t think he’s the best one in his position at the club. That’s his choice and we respect it, but it’s not an easy situation,” said Beck back in February.

Behich was eclipsed at PSV by 22-year-old Spaniard Angelino, signed from Manchester City last July.

“Mark van Bommel was pretty insistent on Aziz signing for PSV,” Beck said.

“We had other options but in the end Aziz decided to go to PSV because first and foremost he wanted to play outside Turkey, but also he wanted to work with the coach that he knew.

“We anticipated he would be playing a lot and of course PSV were also in the Champions League, which would’ve been something new for Aziz.

“There were lots of big factors in signing for PSV ahead of a couple of other big clubs.

“He was really happy about the choice but of course had he known that van Bommel didn’t want to use him then we wouldn’t have signed for PSV.

“He wanted to play football not to sit on the bench.”
[/article]

That’s cute, but sometimes it’s problematic to have too many creators and not enough finishers. They need someone like Aubameyang or Lewandowski getting on the end of all those killer passes; at the moment the only somewhat prolific scorers they have are Paco Alcacer (who does better as a sub) and Reus himself.

That’s cute, but sometimes it’s problematic to have too many creators and not enough finishers. They need someone like Aubameyang or Lewandowski getting on the end of all those killer passes; at the moment the only somewhat prolific scorers they have are Paco Alcacer (who does better as a sub) and Reus himself.
Yup, given his record while on loan, am slightly surprised Dortmund didn't push for Michy Batshuayi.

The have Pablo Alcacer who was their joint top scorer for them this season

Like I said above, he does better as a sub – the lion's share of his goals came when he started on the bench. As a starter, he hasn't been convincing.

Stéphane Henchoz - Sion (Head Coach)

[article]Former Liverpool defender Stephane Henchoz has been appointed coach of Swiss club Sion for next season.

Sion confirmed in a statement Henchoz was given a one-year contract with an option for a second campaign.

The former Switzerland center back is still preparing for the post-season relegation play-offs as coach of Neuchatel Xamax, who have already decided not to retain him.

Henchoz played in the Liverpool team that won five trophies in 2001, including the UEFA Cup and the FA Cup.

The 44-year-old played 135 league games over six seasons at Anfield between 1999 and 2005 after moving from Blackburn.

Spells at Celtic and Wigan followed before ending his career in 2008 following a return to Blackburn.

Henchoz earned 72 caps for Switzerland between 1993 and 2006, appearing at Euro 96 and Euro 2004.[/article]

André Villas-Boas - Marseille (Head Coach)

[article]
Former Chelsea and Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has returned to management at Marseille on a two-year contract.

The Portuguese has spent 18 months away from the dugout.

His last role came in China with Shanghai SIPG, but he walked away from that post in November 2017.

Upon leaving that role, Villas-Boas took the decision to take on a motorsport career and was involved in the 2018 Dakar Rally.

Injury forced him to bring that adventure to a close and he has been lured back to football by a leading side in Ligue 1.

Villas-Boas enjoyed plenty of success when stepping out of the shadow of mentor Jose Mourinho to deliver a treble triumph at Porto.

He struggled to replicate those heroics in England with Chelsea and Spurs, but is now looking to make his mark with a squad that includes such talents as Dimitri Payet and Mario Balotelli.

Marseille owner Frank McCourt told the club’s official website of Villas-Boas’ arrival: “We are delighted to hire a coach whose success is recognised at the highest level in Europe and worldwide.

“Andre Villas-Boas' philosophy and approach to the game aligns with what we want for OM and will help revitalise our project after a disappointing campaign.

“Our expectations are still great and we are making the changes necessary to achieve our goals.”

CEO Jacques-Henri Eyraud added: “Andre Villas-Boas is a young and already very experienced coach.

“He has a perfect knowledge of the requirements of the highest level. We expect him coming here to breathe new energy into the group that he will be in charge of.

“We are convinced that the modernity of his methods, his very sharp vision of football and his sense of innovation will be major assets to enter a new cycle, which will allow our club to resume its progress.

“We will work in close collaboration with Andoni Zubizarreta and Andre Villas-Boas to fulfil the objectives set by Frank McCourt, who once again demonstrates his commitment and dedication to Olympique de Marseille.”

Marseille could only muster a fifth-place finish in 2018-19, with that standing leaving them outside of the Europa League qualification spots.
[/article]

Xavi - Al Sadd SC (Head Coach)

[article]
Former Barcelona and Spain midfielder Xavi has been appointed head coach of Qatari club Al Sadd SC.

The 39-year-old made more than 100 appearances for Al Sadd before retiring at the end of the 2018-19 season, three years after joining the club.

Xavi, a World Cup winner in 2010, won eight La Liga titles and four Champions League trophies at Barcelona.

Al Sadd said on Twitter Xavi would replace Jesualdo Ferreira as manager at the start of next season.

After announcing his retirement, Xavi said he was excited to see "what the future holds".

"What I have achieved in the last two decades has been a privilege," he said.

"Therefore, I believe it is my duty to take the initiative off the field and return through football whenever possible."

In a statement released to Spanish news outlet AS, he added: "My philosophy as a coach reflects the style we developed for many years under the influence of Johan Cruyff and La Masia, and that has its greatest exponent in the way of playing football in Barcelona.

"I love seeing teams take the initiative on the field, attack football and return to the essence of what we all love from our childhood days - possession football."

[/article]

Felipe - Atletico Madrid (€20m)

[article]
Atlético de Madrid and FC Porto have reached an agreement over the transfer of Felipe Augusto de Almeida Monteiro, pending the International Transfer Certificate (ITC). The 30-year-old, who was born on May 16, 1989 in Mogi das Cruzes (state of São Paulo), is to join the squad on July 4, once his ITC arrives. The Brazilian's contract will be three years long.

Felipe is a versatile, experienced centre-back with leadership skills who was the captain at his previous club. The 30-year-old arrived at FC Porto in 2016, following impressive performances at Corinthians. He won several titles at the Brazilian club, such as the 2012 FIFA Club World Cup, the 2013 Campeonato Paulista and the 2015 Campeonato Brasileiro Série A.

In Portugal, he played 142 games over three seasons, during which he scored 11 goals despite being a defender.

The Brazilian is a fast centre-back who is able to play the ball out of defence and is always a threat in the air. With him, FC Porto have kept 18 clean sheets this season, more than any other side in Portugal. Moreover, he was the third player with the most ball recoveries in the 2018-19 season (68). Felipe also has experience in the Champions League, having played 27 matches in the European competition.
[/article]

Christian Nørgaard - Brentford (€3.2m)

[article]
Brentford have signed Danish midfield player Christian Nørgaard from Italian giants Fiorentina. The tall 25-year-old completed a medical in West London earlier this month and signed a four-year contract with an option for an extra year. He will join The Bees for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance.

Christian joins Brentford after spending the 2018/19 season playing for Fiorentina in Serie A. He helped the Florence side reach the Semi-Finals of the Coppa Italia and finish 16th in Serie A. Christian played six games for Fiorentina this season, having joined them from Brøndby IF last summer.

Christian made his name at Brøndby, where he spent five years. In his time at Brøndby he worked with and was signed by Brentford Head Coach Thomas Frank – who was in charge there from 2013 to 2016. He won the Danish Cup and finished as league runners-up twice in his time at Brøndby, having earlier played for Lyngby Boldklub, in Denmark, and Hamburger Sport-Verein e.V., although his time at the German side was mainly spent with the reserve team playing in the fourth tier.

Christian has represented Denmark at every age group but is yet to make a full international appearance. He played 73 official games from Under-16 to Under-21 level and scored five goals. He represented Denmark in an unofficial game against Sweden in early 2018 and played in the UEFA European Under-21 Championships in 2015 and 2017 as well as the 2011 FIFA Under-17 World Cup.

Thomas Frank said: “Christian is player that will fit our team and the Brentford style well on and off the pitch. He is technically good and looks to pass the ball forward. Importantly, he is also good at intercepting passes and has a strong defensive mindset.

“Christian can play in a variety of different positions in the midfield but has given his best performances as a deep midfield player. He will be good in the dressing room and has an excellent mindset. All the staff are looking forward to welcoming him to the squad when we return for pre-season training.”
[/article]

Philipp Klement - VfB Stuttgart (€2.5m)

[article]
The 26-year-old joined Paderborn in January 2018 and played a key role in helping the side earn promotion to the Bundesliga in the 2018/19 campaign, scoring 16 goals in 31 games. It was the left-footed midfielder's second successive promotion with the club, having helped them climb up from the third division the previous season, during which he registered two goals in 16 appearances.

VfB Head of Sport Thomas Hitzlsperger: "We need players like Philipp Klement who'll make us better in Bundesliga 2 and who obviously also have the potential to play in the Bundesliga. What was more important, however, was his willingness to decide to come here at an early stage. That's what Philipp showed. We're very happy we were able to persuade him to join VfB."

Philipp Klement: "Over the past few weeks I've had a lot of positive talks with Thomas Hitzlsperger and Sven Mislintat. I quickly realised that I was determined to join VfB, regardless of the division they're in, because I like the club's long-term vision and the coach's playing style. And after they were relegated, all I could say was 'now more than ever!' I'm looking forward to preparations getting under way for the new season."
[/article]

Last edited:
Paul Le Guen - Le Havre (Sports Director cum Manager)

[article]Rangers flop Paul Le Guen has been announced as the new manager of French second tier side Le Havre.

Le Guen will also assume the position of sports director of the side, who finished in sixth place in last season's Ligue 2.

Winner of Ligue 1 three times while manager of Lyon between 2002 and 2005, he was sacked at Ibrox after just half a season in charge back in 2006 thanks to his side's poor form in domestic competitions.

55-year-old Le Guen also spent two years working as Cameroon coach and five at the helm of Oman, before a stint in Turkey with Bursaspor.
[/article]

Neil Lennon - Celtic (Manager)

[article]
CELTIC Football Club is delighted to announce that Neil Lennon has been confirmed as the new manager of Celtic on a 12-month rolling contract.

Neil has been connected to Celtic for a number of years, having excelled as both a player and as manager. He made 304 appearances for the club in a playing career which included five Scottish Premier League titles, four Scottish Cups, two League Cups and a UEFA Cup final appearance in Seville in 2003.

Neil has already enjoyed a very successful spell as Celtic manager from 2010 to 2014, where he guided the club to three Scottish Premier League titles and two Scottish Cup wins, as well as qualifying for the group stages of the UEFA Champions League twice, once reaching the last 16 of European football’s greatest club tournament after a famous win against FC Barcelona.

Neil took over from Brendan Rodgers in February of this year in an interim role and secured the club’s eighth successive Premiership title in May. And just last week his team sealed the unforgettable Treble Treble with a 2-1 win over Hearts in the Scottish Cup final.

John Kennedy will join Neil’s team as assistant manager, with Damien Duff also continuing in his role as first-team coach.

Neil said: “It is a massive honour to be named Celtic manager once again. I had always dreamed of returning to this role on a permanent basis and I am absolutely delighted to once again be part of one of the biggest and best clubs in the world - an institution which really does mean so much to me and one which has always been such a huge part of my life.

“When I was asked to take over in February, I felt it was my duty to do so. Celtic will always be my club and I wanted to help finish the job which had been started.

“I was delighted with the way the players stuck to their task and delivered another historic success, which is unlikely to ever be repeated. I was also delighted to receive such great support from our fans since returning, something for which I will be forever grateful.

“In the space of just a few weeks, Trophy Day at Celtic Park and securing the Treble Treble at Hampden are two of my greatest days in football. The energy, total commitment and passion from our supporters, the effort, the talent and desire from our players. It’s these qualities which make our club great and deliver such historic occasions.

“I want to be part of delivering more of these great days and great achievements and I look forward to working with the players, the staff and the fans to make this happen.”

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “We’re delighted to name Neil as our new manager. Neil stepped up to the plate and answered our call in February, and in the difficult circumstances, played a huge part in delivering the treble to Celtic.

“We have known Neil as a player, captain, coach and manager. He has brought great success to Celtic in the past and we’re sure he’ll do so again in the future. He’s a Celtic man, a winner and someone we’re delighted again to have as part of the club.

“Neil has a great record in identifying players, and he has already been working hard in this area as we look to strengthen the squad this summer. We’re all looking forward to a positive future together.”
[/article]

Antonio Conte - Inter Milan (Head Coach)

[article]
It's his gestures, the looks he gives, the details he goes into that define Antonio Conte. Ever since he was a child, his life has been dedicated to football. His passion and love for football meant it became an objective to pursue, and this resulted in him becoming a footballer. He sees football as the best way to express himself, to leave a mark, whether on the pitch or on the bench.

Determined and ambitious, Antonio Conte is now beginning his Inter adventure. Right here before us, we have two entities with the same objective and outlook – that is to win. Head, heart and legs are the three words which sum up Conte's career.

Head: He always had clear ideas when he played out on the pitch as a midfielder. His coaches were certain that he'd continue his career in the dugout.

Heart: This is something he has constantly shown on every adventure he's been on: he's always ensured that his teammates and players have felt the necessary sense of belonging to achieve the most important objectives.

Legs: Hard work is something he has always been known for. Training sessions and matches are to be experienced to the full.

Hard work and sweat, unity of purpose and identity. Something which the Italian National Team displayed in the 2016 European Championship. Conte's Italy, who were knocked out on penalties by Germany, thrilled and brought an entire nation together. He's also left his mark abroad: he won the Premier League during his first season in England.

Now, Antonio Conte's challenge is the same as the entire Nerazzurri world: to continue moving forward and to bring Inter back to the apex of European football.

"I'm sure that Antonio Conte is one of the best coaches out there," said Inter President Steven Zhang. "I'm certain that he'll help us achieve our objective and fulfil our mission, one which has always remained the same: to make this club one of the best in the world again."

"A new chapter in my life is beginning, I'm really excited," commented Antonio Conte, Inter's new Coach. "Through my work, I'll try to repay all of the trust that the President and directors have placed in me. I have chosen Inter because of the Club it is, because of the project's sound basis and how ambitious it is. Because of Inter's history. I was struck by the Club's transparency and the desire to bring Inter back to where it belongs."

[/article]

Xabi Alonso - Real Sociedad B (Head Coach)

[article]
Real Sociedad has agreed on the appointment of Xabi Alonso as head coach of Sanse for the next two campaigns. The coach from Tolosa started working as a manager last season and returns home to be in charge of the txuri urdin team.

Real has decided to terminate Aitor Zulaika’s contract as Sanse’s coach. Sanse’s new technical staff will be announced in the coming days.
[/article]

Last edited:
Abdullah Avcı - Besiktas (Manager)

[article]
Istanbul Başakşehir on Thursday announced the departure of manager Abdullah Avcı, who will head across town to take charge of rival Beşiktaş.

"Following discussions that we have had with Abdullah Avcı, we have come to the joint decision to part ways," Başakşehir said in a statement.

Avcı will take over at Beşiktaş from Şenol Güneş, who is leaving to become the manager of the national team. Avcı's contract is expected to be for three years.

Avcı established a star reputation at Başakşehir, a relative newcomer to Turkey's Süper Lig.

The 55-year-old coach has become one of the most respected in the country, known for a steely calm and tactical ingenuity.

The former striker trained the national team between 2011 and 2013.

But he really made his name at Başakşehir after taking over in 2014, turning the club into the "fourth giant" of Istanbul football, rivaling the historic dominance of Beşiktaş, Galatasaray and Fenerbahçe.

For all his achievements, he never managed to get his hands on the championship trophy. During Avcı's spell Başakşehir twice placed 4th, once 3rd and twice finished as the runner-up.

It looked as though that might change this season, with Başakşehir topping the table for several weeks, only to be pushed into second place at the last minute by Galatasaray.

Former international midfielder Okan Buruk is tipped to become Avcı's successor at Başakşehir.
[/article]

Xabi Alonso - Real Sociedad B (Head Coach)

[article]
Real Sociedad has agreed on the appointment of Xabi Alonso as head coach of Sanse for the next two campaigns. The coach from Tolosa started working as a manager last season and returns home to be in charge of the txuri urdin team.

Real has decided to terminate Aitor Zulaika’s contract as Sanse’s coach. Sanse’s new technical staff will be announced in the coming days.
[/article]

He's going to go far as a coach, I'm sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom