• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Colin Murray quits talkSPORT over station's relationship with The S*n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arn

Lucas the best player in the world
Banned
Radio presenter Colin Murray quits talkSPORT over station's relationship with The S*n

Broadcaster tweeted to say his position had been made "unsustainable"

cola.jpg

Radio presenter Colin Murray has quit talkSPORT after the station was taken over by the owners of The S*n.
The Liverpool FC fan from Northern Ireland tweeted a statement to announce his resignation this afternoon.

He said: “I have resigned from my morning show on talkSPORT, due to a change of ownership, with the Wireless Group being bought by News Corp.
“While there are parts of News Corp that aren’t a problem, it is the inevitable future working relationship between talkSPORT and The Sun that has made my position unsustainable.

“Commercially, I delivered all time record ratings and, creatively, I was left alone to mould a show of which I was intensely proud.
“I had been offered a new contract until 2019.”
Murray, who thanked his colleagues and co-presenters, signed off the statement with “#JFT96”.

Rupert Murdoch-owned News Corp had struck a £220m deal to buy Wireless Group, the owner of talkSPORT.
The group also owns The S*n, which infamously ran a front page headlined “The Truth”, claiming Liverpool fans stole from the dead and urinated on police after the Hillsborough disaster.

Other guests on Talksport include former Reds players Didi Hamann and Danny Murphy. Former footballer and Liverpudlian Micky Quinn.

It is not known if they will follow Murray out of the station following takeover.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/radio-presenter-colin-murray-quits-11609607

He is a hero you know. Everyone that boycott The S*n is a hero.

Will be interesting to see if Hamann, Murphy and Quinn will quite.

I think he was making a point that his reason wasn't an excuse to mask a departure that was already on the cards. Because maybe that's what a cynical person might have thought.
Exactly. Collymore announced he was quitting Talksport this week too but he admitted he wasn't offered a new contract.

I always thought he was a bit too "amateurish" to be a decent sports presenter, so I never really gave him much time. No harm in the guy at all, but just not my cup of tea. Afterall, he used to be an afternoon DJ on BBC Radio 1 with Edith Bowman, and I suppose that's pretty much how I will always remember him.

But as a person he has definitely gone up in my estimation now.

I always thought he was a bit too "amateurish" to be a decent sports presenter, so I never really gave him much time. No harm in the guy at all, but just not my cup of tea. Afterall, he used to be an afternoon DJ on BBC Radio 1 with Edith Bowman, and I suppose that's pretty much how I will always remember him.

But as a person he has definitely gone up in my estimation now.

I think he's just pretty normal which might come across that way

I absolutely hated his needy persona, a bit like Hughie Green on speed, and many of his comments about LFC made me wonder how big a fan he really was (he seemed amazed, for example, at how Hodgson fared with England, even though surely any LFC fan knew only too well how it was going to go), but good on him for this.

TalkSport really looks odd now. They withdraw a contract that had been offered to Collymore in May, which suggests either they don't like Collymore personally, or they're looking to move away from the shouty, shock-jock style he'd previously been encouraged to promote. But that's surely appealing to the kind of market the S*n wants?

If all the ex-LFC players and fans follow Murray out the door they'll barely have anyone left. Good.

Why does that Murdoch cunt have to ruin the media.....

Jeez, I really will rethink listening to this station now. Fucking disgrace.... surely the Monopolies and Mergers commission should be looking at how News Corp control the media. But I guess they have enough "competition" to make sure it isnt dodgy.

Colin Murray was actually one of the best daytime programmes on talksport. Much better than that idiot Adrian Durham thats for certain.

Fair play to him. It's not like he's leaving himself with a ton of options since he's not likely to get back in the BBC. Maybe a show on a cable channel like UK Conquest would take him on to host Skirmish.

He will have to go TV wont he? I dont think the Beeb will have him back.

And Sky is owned by Murdoch.

I dunno.
Hes probably minted im sure he will be ok?

I absolutely hated his needy persona, a bit like Hughie Green on speed, and many of his comments about LFC made me wonder how big a fan he really was (he seemed amazed, for example, at how Hodgson fared with England, even though surely any LFC fan knew only too well how it was going to go), but good on him for this.

TalkSport really looks odd now. They withdraw a contract that had been offered to Collymore in May, which suggests either they don't like Collymore personally, or they're looking to move away from the shouty, shock-jock style he'd previously been encouraged to promote. But that's surely appealing to the kind of market the S*n wants?

If all the ex-LFC players and fans follow Murray out the door they'll barely have anyone left. Good.
I did find it bizarre when Collymore announced talk sport had withdrawn his contract, he was probably their biggest and most popular host, I assumed maybe he went mental on a colleague or something, but considering the timing it must be related to this buyout. I believe he's been pretty damning on that shit rag before, maybe they didn't want him there as a result.

I never listen to talksport as it's generally fucking shite. Still I wonder what Didi and Spud will do now. They are going to look a bit cuntish if they continue to broadcast for them.

I don't make a regular habit of it myself, but it's one of the stations I switch between.

Murray blotted his copybook a bit for me when he had a spell of making snidey little remarks about Klopp because he didn't like the fact that his (Murray's) countryman Rodgers had been let go. Still, this now is an upstanding gesture. Good luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom