• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chinese "Devil Virus" - anyone worried?

The same posters who were saying you shouldn't look at case numbers when considering the vaccine effectiveness (or lack thereof) are the same ones saying the case numbers now mean some massive overreaction is needed.

They just parrot the lines fed by the government

It's not that case numbers don't matter, just that you need to take it all into consideration, we currently know the rate of infection is very high with Omnicom, we don't know what rate people end up in hospital (looks to be material in South Africa though). We knew when vaccines rolled out, that case numbers weren't comparable to pre-vaccine times, as the rate of people going to hospital was 13 times lower, and likelihood to get infected is 6 times lower, but it took a long time for that to be confirmed.

Is it an over reaction?Maybe, it's too early to tell. The thing is, as I've said before, this isn't a game you can just restart, if you under react and are wrong, people die and get very sick. If you overreact, and are wrong, the impact is way lower.

It has always been "too early to tell" in perpetuity for the last two years, about everything to do with the pandemic. Didn't you notice? That's the problem with analysing the past data of an evolving process, because you don't have the faintest idea on earth how to predict future data in real time.

It has always been "too early to tell" in perpetuity for the last two years, about everything to do with the pandemic. Didn't you notice? That's the problem with analysing the past data of an evolving process, because you don't have the faintest idea on earth how to predict future data in real time.

Yes, you've actually got something right, well done. This is why they have to err on the side of caution when something very new has evolved.

All that said, it's really clear the UK government are using this to take focus away from other things.

It's not that case numbers don't matter, just that you need to take it all into consideration, we currently know the rate of infection is very high with Omnicom, we don't know what rate people end up in hospital (looks to be material in South Africa though). We knew when vaccines rolled out, that case numbers weren't comparable to pre-vaccine times, as the rate of people going to hospital was 13 times lower, and likelihood to get infected is 6 times lower, but it took a long time for that to be confirmed.

Is it an over reaction?Maybe, it's too early to tell. The thing is, as I've said before, this isn't a game you can just restart, if you under react and are wrong, people die and get very sick. If you overreact, and are wrong, the impact is way lower.

Your last sentence... I'm not so sure. There's not enough written or discussed about the impact of lockdowns and restrictions. Whether that be the quantifiable numbers of people missing surgeries and treatment to deal with this virus who have ended up dying (I know of 3 people who have died as a result of this. 0 from Covid. Again, anecdotal but...) or the less quantifiable impacts such as rise in depression, emotional, mental damage, the damage to the development of children mentally and emotionally, the damage to the overall health of people who just sit in the house now, terrified... I honestly think, if we keep doing what we're doing, we're going to produce a culture and society that is even more sick - in more than one definition of the word - than all that came before it.

Yes, you've actually got something right, well done. This is why they have to err on the side of caution when something very new has evolved.

All that said, it's really clear the UK government are using this to take focus away from other things.

The point he's making, though, is that we will always be in this state of uncertainty. There'll always be new variants, fluctuations in cases, and the government can turn around and impose lockdowns or whatever and have us in a perpetual state of emergency. There doesn't come a point when this is over with that mentality.

Your last sentence... I'm not so sure. There's not enough written or discussed about the impact of lockdowns and restrictions. Whether that be the quantifiable numbers of people missing surgeries and treatment to deal with this virus who have ended up dying (I know of 3 people who have died as a result of this. 0 from Covid. Again, anecdotal but...) or the less quantifiable impacts such as rise in depression, emotional, mental damage, the damage to the development of children mentally and emotionally, the damage to the overall health of people who just sit in the house now, terrified... I honestly think, if we keep doing what we're doing, we're going to produce a culture and society that is even more sick - in more than one definition of the word - than all that came before it.

Yeah, I can't really disagree with any of that. I just don't know what the answer is. You can't ignore Covid, but you can't ignore everything else. Covid seems the most urgent to solve, and I do think we're living with it better than 12 months ago, but I agree, it's hard to see, or know, where this will end.

I also know 2 cases of late cancer diagnosis that have resulted in death sentences. I also know from my own daughter, that her health and happiness have been ravaged by the effects of lockdown. I don't know anybody who has died from Covid. The students I'm seeing in all stages of their UG and PG degrees have off the scale mental health problems, and a universal lack of basic self reliance.

While I'm sorry to hear you know people have passed away, the numbers show that deaths from most things are roughly the same compared to the last 5 years, while Covid is an outlier. There are other things outside of deaths of course, as there is with Covid (I know three people with long Covid for example).

I also know 2 cases of late cancer diagnosis that have resulted in death sentences. I also know from my own daughter, that her health and happiness have been ravaged by the effects of lockdown. I don't know anybody who has died from Covid. The students I'm seeing in all stages of their UG and PG degrees have off the scale mental health problems, and a universal lack of basic self reliance.

Fuck the students, they're all woke fools.

Reactions: Raz
I don't know about your place of work, but the universities have to take some of the blame for this. I've heard stories of students being charged for accommodation etc. while they can't stay there.

The overreaction (in Ireland at least) is always blunt lockdowns or ideas that won't work (like pubs open but have to all close at 12 meaning everybody is heading for the bus home at the same time) instead of proactive ideas like subsidised home testing (and free to schools/universities) with big information campaign to explain how to properly use them, better explanation of good ventilation, buying HEPA filters for schools rather than doing nothing for months and then saying "there is a little bit of extra money you can apply for, but you have to do it yourself and then source everything yourself". There's nothing wrong with being careful or even measures that cause some disruption they're just so blunt and unimaginative that it's incredibly frustrating.

I don't know about your place of work, but the universities have to take some of the blame for this. I've heard stories of students being charged for accommodation etc. while they can't stay there.

Yes, but the universities are past masters at avoiding blame and students have nowhere near the legal skills required to make them take the blame, they don't have those skills because their woke concept of justice is based on feels and not the law, ergo my point, fuck them, they're beyond help and beyond sympathy.

The first lockdown should have bankrupted 80% of uk universities, that should have been it, they should have all died out. But no, these dumb students pay their fees and pay their rent and buy their books because of reasons that escape me. Then they end up in debt and whine about their mental health, fuck them. Where are their brains? What were they expecting to happen?

Twitter fact checkers are banning people who say you can catch covid even if you're vaccinated.

The vaccine push is in overdrive , I'm just not sure why.

7h0ncrmbdh581.jpg

The overreaction (in Ireland at least) is always blunt lockdowns or ideas that won't work (like pubs open but have to all close at 12 meaning everybody is heading for the bus home at the same time) instead of proactive ideas like subsidised home testing (and free to schools/universities) with big information campaign to explain how to properly use them, better explanation of good ventilation, buying HEPA filters for schools rather than doing nothing for months and then saying "there is a little bit of extra money you can apply for, but you have to do it yourself and then source everything yourself". There's nothing wrong with being careful or even measures that cause some disruption they're just so blunt and unimaginative that it's incredibly frustrating.

Yep, what they did with pubs/nightclubs is shite and nonsensical. And a lot of policies that they had, have been canned and revised. I think it's difficult to get right, but they absolutely could have done better.

Yes, but the universities are past masters at avoiding blame and students have nowhere near the legal skills required to make them take the blame, they don't have those skills because their woke concept of justice is based on feels and not the law, ergo my point, fuck them, they're beyond help and beyond sympathy.

And there you have it.

This is what happens when Colombian Post Graduates realise that their ”lawyer” isn’t capable of actually winning cases and makes it clear she’s never going to root him.

And there you have it.

This is what happens when Colombian Post Graduates realise that their ”lawyer” isn’t capable of actually winning cases and makes it clear she’s never going to root him.

Like many things during the pandemic, what you'd like to be the case isn't remotely close to the case.

Yep, what they did with pubs/nightclubs is shite and nonsensical. And a lot of policies that they had, have been canned and revised. I think it's difficult to get right, but they absolutely could have done better.

They seem more worried about the appearance of doing something. The delay on antigen tests (even though they're not as good) was ridiculous. Kids and teachers should have been doing them a couple of times a week since August. Surely would have caught a huge amount of unknown cases. Schools have been a huge driver of infection here and it's not the fault of kids or teachers.

It's a pity the new antiviral pills aren't likely to be ready until just after this Omicron wave.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/12/14...r-90percent-effective-in-final-analysis-.html

Remember this article. How positive it is, how promising it is, and so forth. This is because it is still on the lab-scale, in the hands of actual scientists, and developed by people who know what they're doing and what they're talking about, just like the vaccines during the trump reign. Now, it has been handed over to large scale manufacture, and biostatisticians, and clinical researchers, who have no idea what the drug does, and no idea how to manufacture it accordingly. Those promising results will evaporate, the profits won't, but the results will, and this time next year you'll be talking about the science changing gain. Mark my words.

They seem more worried about the appearance of doing something. The delay on antigen tests (even though they're not as good) was ridiculous. Kids and teachers should have been doing them a couple of times a week since August. Surely would have caught a huge amount of unknown cases. Schools have been a huge driver of infection here and it's not the fault of kids or teachers.

That has also led to farcical policy implications My kid could spend 4 hours in a room with 20 other kids but schools were advised by Tony Holohan to have no interactions between children outside school - no birthday or Xmas parties etc . That was a letter sent directly to schools to share with parents.

And that's what led to him having to go through the Government press office for communications in future.

Remember this article. How positive it is, how promising it is, and so forth. This is because it is still on the lab-scale, in the hands of actual scientists, and developed by people who know what they're doing and what they're talking about, just like the vaccines during the trump reign. Now, it has been handed over to large scale manufacture, and biostatisticians, and clinical researchers, who have no idea what the drug does, and no idea how to manufacture it accordingly. Those promising results will evaporate, the profits won't, but the results will, and this time next year you'll be talking about the science changing gain. Mark my words.

Pfizer have never tried to fool anyone with trial results before.

Pfizer have never tried to fool anyone with trial results before.

In the old days an american whistleblower would usually grass them up for their juicy 10% share of the court fine. Alas, in this day and age the moment that whistleblower meets the sorry sack of shit gender fluid district attorney, and sees their degree certificate adorned in rainbow colours, that will be that, nothing to see here, back to work in the morning.

Last edited:
Speaking of whistleblowers, I see julian assange is heading for the big ride. Poor bastard. Without whistleblowers having reasonable legal protections (or else the unmatched intellect of dantes), the public is doomed.

Twitter fact checkers are banning people who say you can catch covid even if you're vaccinated.

The vaccine push is in overdrive , I'm just not sure why.

Its because nearly all of those admitted to intensive care in hospitals now are unvaccinated, you stupid cunt.

FGhFPsoXoBEETrh

FGgo_dlWQAE4Rwp

I don't think that's causing the mental health problems, as much as many universities have acted like any other grasping business out there. Especially as the biggest spike is in stage 1 students, who are paying for accommodation they're staying in.

Back
Top Bottom