• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chester vs Liverpool Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its hard to know who im most gutting about injuries affecting what we could have had from them most.
But if there was a poll I think Sturridge along with Kewell, Rob Jones and Daniel Agger would be way way high on the list.
Four brilliant players, genuinely BRILLIANT footballers who for whatever reason we got less than 50% of the use of.

The cool way Wilson lifted the ball over the keeper for the first goal - he's a proper player. Sterling, even now, would probably just blast that straight into the keeper's midriff. Wilson does have pace but he's not a player who tends to need to make eye-catching runs. He prefers quick passes back and forth outside the area and then he'll shoot, but he can also take part in one of those great fast counter-attacks we now do so well.

I was most pleased yesterday to see Kent looking so strong and positive. That goal he scored used to be his trademark, along with his really fast runs down the wing, before he went on two disastrous loans last season. I feared that might have finished his chances here but hopefully he'll push on now and use the opportunity he has this summer to remind Klopp that there's real talent there.

He’s back today or tomorrow. He got an extra week along with wijnaldum due to playing for the Netherlands in a couple of friendly matches.

Class is permanent:

It's a shame if he does go, but understandable. Klopp side a while back that he's one of the few players that has that top class ability to unpick tight defenses. He's not just a great finisher, he's technically brilliant and his awareness is second to none. He can't half pick a through ball.

Do, the big guest ion @gkmacca is are any of these youngsters going to either be able to, it have the opportunity to step up and have a crack at the first team.

Obviously, we’re not talking keep the lines of Salah or Mane out of the team - but are they good enough that we don’t need to sign other attacking or midfield players.

Secondary question to that is - do they need to be playing regularly- I mean, they need experience of playing, so sitting on the bench isn’t necessarily going to help their development.

The youngsters coming through do seem genuinely talented - it’d be awesome if we were sitting on a golden generation - in the way Utd were 25 years ago.

I’d be ok with us not spending shitloads in the remaining transfer window (apart from on a keeper), if I had absolute confidence that Brewster, Ojo, Wilson, Kent, Woodburn & even Ejaria (there’s probably others) could minimise the need for external players.

Do, the big guest ion @gkmacca is are any of these youngsters going to either be able to, it have the opportunity to step up and have a crack at the first team.

Obviously, we’re not talking keep the lines of Salah or Mane out of the team - but are they good enough that we don’t need to sign other attacking or midfield players.

Secondary question to that is - do they need to be playing regularly- I mean, they need experience of playing, so sitting on the bench isn’t necessarily going to help their development.

The youngsters coming through do seem genuinely talented - it’d be awesome if we were sitting on a golden generation - in the way Utd were 25 years ago.

I’d be ok with us not spending shitloads in the remaining transfer window (apart from on a keeper), if I had absolute confidence that Brewster, Ojo, Wilson, Kent, Woodburn & even Ejaria (there’s probably others) could minimise the need for external players.

Good questions. I think the one who needs the most careful thought is Wilson. I'm confident he can make a mark this season, playing in cup games and coming on as a sub for any of the front three. But that has to be balanced with what playing week in, week out, on loan might do to his development. I hope we keep him and he makes the impact I think he's capable of.

Brewster for me is going to be brilliant. You can't be absolutely certain, of course, but I'll be stunned if he doesn't become a regular in the match day squad and really progresses rapidly.

So Wilson and Brewster I feel are the (as near as) certs.

I've not seen much of Ojo on loan, in between his injuries. The coaching staff worked really hard to get him to be more positionally aware and more effective in the use of his speed but he was frustratingly slow in responding. I gather he's returned looking much more mature and focussed, so I'll watch with interest this summer. If he clicks then Origi may as well pack his bags. He's got so much speed and strength he could be fantastic for us but he's still got it all to prove.

Kent is the really fascinating one this summer. I've been a big fan of his for years. He's got the kind of pace that kills defenders and scares them from pushing up. Lose the ball to him on the half way line and you're finished. He's also got a great shot from outside the area, and all the good wide player tricks. When he went to Barnsley on loan he progressed as well as expected, but then he came back, went to Germany on loan and was barely used, then sent to Bristol City where the manager immediately decided this player whom he'd personally secured wasn't 'right' for his style of play, and it really looked like the lad was slipping into obscurity. But he's come back sounding very determined, and he played like his old self yesterday. If he could go on loan to a club that would really use him and push him, he should go, but otherwise, if he keeps up his good play this summer, we should keep him in the squad and see what happens.

As for Woodburn, I think it's his position that's the problem. He's capable of filling in just about anywhere in midfield or in attack, but he hasn't yet got a real identity as a player, and I'm not sure he's got a long term future with us unless he finds one, that suits the team's needs, pronto. Personally I think he's best floating around behind the strikers, and if we don't bring in a Fakir or someone similar he might prove himself there in the autumn, but he's got to impose himself now on the manager's mind. He's clever, he's technically excellent, he's versatile but he's got to show he can be more than a utility player. A spell on loan seems the logical choice, but again, it has to be somewhere where he'll play all the time.

Thanks for that @gkmacca - wonderful insight - I really hope a few can break through same as Alexander-Arnold.

@gkmacca - what’s the thoughts on Ejaria - he almost seemed like he was going to break through a season or two ago.

Long term contract and then off to Rangers for a season - not sure what to make of it.

@gkmacca - what’s the thoughts on Ejaria - he almost seemed like he was going to break through a season or two ago.

Long term contract and then off to Rangers for a season - not sure what to make of it.

I think it's down to the fact that he's still very much rated at the club but he's also in need of serious competitive football to gain more experience, and as Gerrard knows him and plans to play in the same style as us, it's the ideal place to assess him.

I should add another name to the prospects - Curtis Jones. He just oozes class in his midfield play. He's still very young, so it's not unlikely that he, too, might go out to Gerrard on loan, but Klopp likes him so much he might be kept until January at least to train with the first team.

What if Herbie kane? He another that might make the step up this year?

Ojo has turned into a real unit, and showed some moments of lovely skill and pace. Is there hope for him?

Edit: Just read Macca's post- so the answer is that the jury's out.

Last edited:
How much should we temper expectations with the knowledge that - we say the same things every year - what a lot of good young players we have? Klopp is more prepared than previous managers to give them a chance if they are good enough. We have seen Trent coming through, and from Macca's comments, it appears that Brewster stands out as another to follow. Have seen so often though - if a player does not stand out at this age, he probably won't make it to the first team.

With young players, expectations should always be tempered.

We've produced one for the first team in the past 20 years or so.

What if Herbie kane? He another that might make the step up this year?

I sort of doubt it. He's capable of playing Premier League football, I think, but I'm doubtful of him breaking into the first team squad here. The odd cup game - yes, as a sub-Can type, he could catch the eye, but in the broader picture, er, he's a sub-Can type. He's got a bit of the Charlie Adam about him - certainly in build, and in the mix of skills. He's a good passer of the ball, he can do a Hendo-style clean-up, but he's not that dynamic and if anything he's seemed to get more rather than less predictable over the past year. I don't want to sound too down about him - at his best he's a very good young player - but I'm afraid I don't see where he'd even challenge long term in the team.

Curtis Jones still looks the most likely to make it long term whenever I see him play.

He's an outstanding prospect.

Wilson looks ready now, but I think long term Jones will be a star.

Its hard to know who im most gutting about injuries affecting what we could have had from them most.
But if there was a poll I think Sturridge along with Kewell, Rob Jones and Daniel Agger would be way way high on the list.
Four brilliant players, genuinely BRILLIANT footballers who for whatever reason we got less than 50% of the use of.
Forgot about Heggem. Hes on that list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom