• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Betting Cheltenham Anti Post

Prefix for Betting Threads

ILD

Very Well-Known
Cheltenham buzz is picking up pace!

Place all your bets, fancies, and tips here folks.

Solwhit is 5/1 in Ladbrokes over here. I fancy that.

Long Run in RSA, Planet of Sound in the Ryanair.

Captain Cee Bee will win the Arkle IF he can cut out mistakes in his jumping. Bit short price though for a novice who has fallen and almost fallen another time in 3 starts over fences

I generally don't back ante post, usually because I can't be arsed studying everything beforehand. I prefer to leave it to the day.

Dunguib at evens is still probably worth taking though. I was at Leopardstown on Sunday when he ran and despite only jumping two fences correctly the jockey never got off the bridle as he coasted up the outside and won easily.

Oh yeah I probably wont be backing ante post(until they go nr no bet anyway) just my fancies at the moment. Ah Dunguib can't be value at even money when he jumped so poorly Sunday. That said he will win if he stands up, will win easily!!!!! I Just cant back a novice at such a short price at cheltenham! I'l probably be finding an each way alternative to him but still hoping he wins like he is capable of. Unbelievable horse in everything he has done so far

My Cousin has backed Punchestowns at 14's, 12's, 10's and 7's for the RSA. Waiting on it for about 3k I believe. And he's go it in other bets with Sizing Europe (10's) and Dunguib (3's). If all win, i think he's on for about 7 or 8 grand.

I havent backed anything yet. Looking at Riverside Theatre for Arkle but thats about it.

Nice.

Will you be running your tipster competition again this year?

[quote author=ILD link=topic=38897.msg1054024#msg1054024 date=1265979419]
Nice.

Will you be running your tipster competition again this year?
[/quote]

Think its 3/1 fav now so I hope it comes in for him. I fancy something else, but im not backing it cos I want his to win that much.

I didnt run it mate, think it was Ross?

Yeah I'll sort it out.

I'll have to dig out last year's thread to get the rules again.

My Cheltenham ante-post fancies...

Betchworth Kid – Albert Bartlett hurdle (Jockey has ridden 2 of last 4 winners in race and cites this horse as better than his previous winning rides)
Bensalem – William hill trophy (Very well handicapped stepping up in trip)
Somersby – Arkle (Very impressed with him at Sandown)
Summit meeting – Neptune invest novice hurdle (Harrington puts this up as her best Cheltenham entry)
Oscar whiskey – Supreme novices (Can be backed at 12's with PPower and money back if hotpot Dunguib wins)
Soldatino – Triumph (Henderson very sweet on him)
Kalahari king - Champion chase (Improving young horse - great performance off top weight last time when not fully wound up -whilst favourite Master Minded might just not be 100%)

I've hardly had a bet all year so really looking forward to Cheltenham. Good luck everypne.

The ones I have picked out so far are

Medermit @9/1 ew for the Champion Hurdle.
Quevega in the mares hurdle @ 11/8
Finians Rainbow @ 15/2 in the Neptune Investment Novices Hurdle
Tranquil Sea @ 9/2 in the Ryanair

[quote author=Piedro link=topic=38897.msg1054015#msg1054015 date=1265978768]
My Cousin has backed Punchestowns at 14's, 12's, 10's and 7's for the RSA. Waiting on it for about 3k I believe. And he's go it in other bets with Sizing Europe (10's) and Dunguib (3's). If all win, i think he's on for about 7 or 8 grand.

I havent backed anything yet. Looking at Riverside Theatre for Arkle but thats about it.
[/quote]

Lame and probably wont run, gutted for him.

I got emailed this today by a mate:

Galway Preview Night

Panel:
Alan Byrne - CEO Racing Post
Davy Condon - Jockey
Barney Curley - trainer and founder of DAFA the charity supported
George MacDonagh - Local radio presenter and tipster, pretty sharp
Matt Williams - Racing Post journalist
Donn McClean - Journalist in Sunday Times/ Irish field
Philip Fenton - Trainer
Nina Carberry -jockey

Supreme:
As would expected with P Fenton on panel one horse took up much of the dialogue.. The horse Dunguib is bouncing at home, schooling better but has been excellent at home for a while... before last run felt he may have slightly over cooked him and was afraid he might be turned over, so trilled at how east he did it, had ground lined up as an excuse...
Was asked an interesting Q. from the audience later about any plans to run him on the flat. He said it was a back up plan if he didn't take to jumps but he has so NH is his game for now, but did say if he finishes season on a high he might take a change in direction. Ruled out CH unless it dramatically cut up even more. Answered Q also about John Framcome’s comment about 'sore shins' as a reason for d0dgy jumping, felt it was a fair comment from someone looking from afar.... but not an issue.
D.C.: felt Blackstairmountain had e/w chance, Flat Out was free running, but Dunquib can't be beat
MW: Dunguib a good thing... Get me out of here would prefer a flat track (Barney reckoned he was only possible danger)
GMcD: Dunguib but small squeak to Dan Breen e/w
Donn McC: said was hot race 3 horses rated 148+, normally winner is only rated 150 after winning... but Dunguib should win, jumping only fear but faster pace and ground should improve it.

Arkle:

Donn McC: Stats against Captain CB, 9yr old, but he is slightly raced,,, NC worried about the fact he fell at a flat track. DC worried about him jumping at speed, hit a flat spot at top of hill in supreme, Donn still felt he was the most likely.
NC, DC, Barney, GMcD and MW felt Somersby was the one with varying degree of certainty, MW felt his jumping was bombproof, winning around stiff tracks like Warick and Sandown was big plus. Donn compared his time to Tingle Creek was impressive..
PF was the only one to give a shout to Sizing Europe, was fresh and ready made for this race. It was felt Riverside Theatre would be better at a flat track. Aintree horse.

Champion Hurdle:
Generally seen as a one horse race with a query over Solwith, with each way squeaks: DC was focus of debate after riding Go Native to 2 group1's this year, said Kempton leaving the covers on to deter frost had left the ground gluey. Alan Byrne then read out a quote from MW's saying jockey went too soon in Christmas Hurdle, Davy Condon replied not everyone can have the b@lls of Paul Carberry!! DC felt Starluck was great e/w shout( Nina agreed), but Medermit is the danger. Felt Zaynar too slow. (Donn feels he's paceless, GMcD quoted 5yr old stats against). Most went for Go Native, MW reckon it'll erase the memories of Harchibald, NC said he would give it the exact same ride as that memorable race, I hope his backers have steady hearts! NC said Won in the dark going well, Donn reckons Donnas Palm is overpriced, PF gave a small shout to Jumbo Rio 66/1 at a "brilliant chance".

NIM Novice Hurdle:
Surprisingly cold on the chances of Rite of Passage for varying reasons, Donn McC started by saying it was boring but he deserved to be fav, seemed to be taken aback when Alan Byrne gave Welds stats in Cheltenham, Donn then seemed to back track and said RofP form not working out, Healys Bar, Silver Friend etc, Matt W. also rather controversially said Weld wasn't putting it in, keeping something for a flat campaign. (Alan Byrne asked him to please God never write that in the racing post... he replied he'd write it all right, but Alan would never print it!!) Nina also thought RofP worthy fav but mentioned been on another panel with Barry Geraghty and mentioned how sweet he was on Finions Rainbow, Matt W. GMcD and Barney agreed this was a great bet/chance and their pick. Davey C. said Quel Espirit would go close, Ruby said after last race he should have gone quicker and made more use of him and that he wasn't fully wound up that day. Philip Fenton said he was made for this race, really fancied him. Donn believes Reve de Sivola was in the wrong race, Matt said he stays 2500 miles, should be bought by Godolphin for endurance racing... Peddlers Cross field races but stable confidence was acknowledged.

RSA Chase:
Revolved around whether Sam Waley Cohen could f*ck it up or not! Davey C. said their are a lot of good amateurs but S W-C wasn't one of them! P Fenton would back Barry Geraghty over SW-C any day, all agreed Punchestowns prep was a worry.
The horse itself (Long Run) Matt said had special gears, Mick Fitz stayed riding an extra year principally because of how good Punchestowns was, and Long Run leaves him for dead at home. Nina said her brother Philip was speaking of him ever before he came to England. Donn said his age was a worry, Star de M. was last 5yr winner and was receiving 8Ibs, LR will only get 3Ibs, plus the joc's 5Ib claim isn't allowed (10Ib differential is a significance). GMcD was sweet on Weird Al's course form, Donn agreed, said he was a scopey galloper also said Weapons Amnesty was the forgotten horse, under rated, great engine and course form...

Queen Mother:
Of all the hot pots Master Minded was judged to be the most vulnerable, all apart from Nina were willing to take him on. Phillip Fenton said he was on a downward curve performance wise from his brilliant win a few yrs ago. But said Ireland seldom produce a 2m chaser of note (Moscow Flyer was an exception). Donn again resorted to stats to back his thought process, posing the Q? 3 in a row and the likely hood of achieving that, said there was an over reaction to his last performance. Went for Big Zeb despite acknowledging his jumping frailties. GMcD said Kalahari King was his banker of the whole meeting, MM always has excuses.... Davey C was also in the K King boat, said he would improve from handicap win no end. Also said Tom Cooper was mad to be running
Forpaddytheplasterer in this rather than the Ryanair. It was a swerve race for Barney.

Bumper:

Nina was on home territory here, gave a comprehensive run down of the Irish challenge. Said the bumper that Al Ferof came 3rd to Summit Meeting was the best she rode this year, has improved and was her pick and would be the one she will track when riding in the race. Shot From the Hip was PF choice, really liked his Leopardstown run, went way too quick, caught and set sail again... who would ride him stirred a similar debate to Long Run, Barney reckoned all this talk of jockeys importance was over rated, the best horse will win 9/10 unless there's a total tourist on board.... Matt W. said JP Magnier was a tourist! of JP M Nina said "he does his best!", Davey Condon hoped Sam Waley Cohen would buy the horse!! Davey also said Tavern Times was the talk of Carlow, best Tom Mullins has trained (Some Present 2nd last yr) and said Willy doesn't think he has a horse to beat him. Matt W was extremely sweet on him suggested with better ground he could only improve. Donn went for Drumbaloo, kept fresh after gaining experience, profile of the winner.

I've read about different race night previews at this stage Ross. They area good read but you end up back at square one after a few of them.

Back
Top Bottom