• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chelsea post match

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombrown

Part of the Furniture
Liverpool 2 Chelsea 0: The Match Ratings

by Ben Johnson | Apr 14, 2019 | 16 comments

I DON’T know about you but I need this fucking season to hurry up and end.
I’m like fourth season Bubs at this point. A ghost of a man. Hollowed out. Somehow, this morning I agreed to buy my bird a caravan if The Reds win the league. A fucking caravan. Like a proper caravan that you pull round like a house. I mean, I didn’t even know my bird wanted a caravan.
The last time we went on holiday in a caravan we fucked it off after two days because it was freezing and we were in a fucking caravan in the middle of fucking Wales. But sound, Caravan tax. I’ll start a Crowdfunder after the last game. Fiver gets you a lend of it for an hour.
Alisson: 8
Another save at a key point. Added 15 points on his fucking own this year. Gone a bit Si Mig with his passing in the last few weeks but so the frigging hell what.
Trent: 8
Asked a load of questions by them but was great, with and without it. Full of balls, and battle, and guile, and quality, and everything else you could ever want in a player.
Big Joel: 8
Fantastic today. Front foot, lashing people that needed lashing. Looked like a proper player today. The best defender on the pitch. Mad that. Still passes it like a weirdo, mind you.
Virgil: 8
Second best defender on the pitch which has probably happened about three times in his life. Liked him a lot.
Robbo: 7
Was mad today. Defended really well first half but when The Reds went 2-0 up he went all Albie Moreno and thought he was a fucking Jack Russell on the beach, underlapping and overlapping like fuck.
Henderson Henderson Henderson: 8
Tremendous again. The amount of times he arrived in the box, la. For the Mo Salah chance first half, it’s Henderson up for the challenge. Tremendous for the first. I’m screaming at him to lash it across the face but he’s all “I’m the best centre mid in Europe, I’ll just hang it up for Sadio to score, aye”. Does the internet still think he is shite?
Fabinho: 8
I think I might love him. That natural instinct to kick people and win the ball, mate. Lovely. The tackle on Hazard first half, leaving a little bit on him, glorious. Frees the reds up to play, frees the lads up next to him to leg it.
Naby: 8
Great on the ball first half, wasn’t he? It was like watching YouTube from two years ago. Front foot, won the ball time and again first half. Got a bit excited second half when Robbo was berserk. Needs to learn to do some horrible work without the ball, but looks a player.
Mo Salah: 9
I mean he fucking hit that, didn’t he? He hit it, it stayed hit, would probably still be travelling now if it hadn’t been stopped by the net. It’s boss when racists have to cop for one right in the fucking eye, isn’t it? Stick that up your horrible arses you Farage-loving, butter-faced twats. Looks like he has realised that he is boss again.
Firmino: 9
Tremendous. Properly tremendous. Like a Rabbit out of a hat keeping the ball surrounded by baddies. Frightened the life out of them whenever he got it. A glorious glinting-mouthed colossus.
Sadio: 8
Great goal. That one was stood up for an hour and a bit. Easy to miss. Had his lad marking him on toast all day long.
SUBS
Gini and Milner:

Massive dose of sensible. Boss set of subs.
Well in, big men.

I wasn't really enjoying the game much until the second half; it was a strangely flat first 45 minutes - or "cagey" as the usual cliches would have it - with Chelsea keeping a very regimented formation and playing style, while the fans kept things edgy with a volley of chants directed at each other helping keep the atmosphere febrile.

Liverpool flew at Chelsea early in the second half, with Henderson not just hovering in the inside right position but starting to influence the game across the pitch, and he created the first for the irrepressible Sadio Mane. That was followed straight away by a Salah Exocet that exploded into their net before the keeper had finished his dive. Hazard flickered into life and should have scored twice, but after that wobble, we strangled the game for yet another win. Class.

Allison (7) Not really that busy, but made a smart save from a Hazard shot (that was mishit) and took some good catches. Went about his business smartly and decisively.

TAA (7) I really enjoyed that Cruyff turn and shot; it's glimpses like that which suggest he could be a very, very special player for Liverpool. Smart in possession and some great distribution. he could have done with a bit more help at times, given that Willian and Hazard took a few bites, but overall this was another good display.

Matip (7) There are times when his interventions can look a bit "last stand at the Alamo" but he's getting the job done and contributed to another clean sheet, so well played again 50p head.

Virgil (7) Showed some uncanny positioning which helped snuff out some dangerous attacks, but even the imperious Van Dijk had a couple of moments that showed we were under pressure once or twice. Enjoyed his "Row Z" decision-making too. We need that sometimes.

Robertson (7) Up. Down. Up. Down. The Scot has an engine like a turbo-charged VW Golf - it just keeps turning over and powering his wiry frame along that left wing in perpetuity. This wasn't one of his very best games in terms of attacking influence, but that engine never skips or drops off and makes him a constant option out wide and allows him to keep the space and time available for their attackers diminished.

Henderson (8) Was a bit too isolated in the first half, loitering too much out wide, but then decided to win the game in the second half by making the pitch feel the size of a postage stamp for Chelsea's players. They couldn't even look over their shoulders without seeing Hendo's gurning face about two inches away. Set up the first goal with a lovely dinked cross and then just bossed it.

Keita (6) Positive in almost everything he tries; his passing and movement is always forwards and he found some good spaces to play in. Couldn't ever find the killer pass though and faded after the break, before being replaced by Wijnaldum. Improving, but still needs to do more, he's still a bit weak and needs to do more of the dirty work in that position

Fabinho (7) Was probably the best player on the pitch in the first half, as he snapped into tackles and then carried the ball forward well. He provided a solid platform for the artists to take centre stage in the second half, and was impressive in helping keep Chelsea's midfield subdued.

Mane (8) 2019's best player continued in the same rich vein of form, as he had a great battle with Azpilicueta, addressing him with guile, pace and skill, as well as the occasional clump. Came out on top - as usual - and scored the opening goal.

Firmino (7) Had a pretty mediocre first half, as he couldn't quite get into the game and his passing wasn't sharp enough. Must have had the same half-time oranges as Henderson, because he was everywhere in the second half, lighting fires all over the pitch with his skill, movement and passing.

Salah (8) After the Southampton belter, Salah went one better here, dispatching a 20 yard missile into the top corner of the hapless Arrizabologna's net. He was making Emerson's life a fucking misery before that anyway, bewitching his old team-mate with close control, vision and powerful runs in and around the box. Class. Top class.

Such an impressive win for so many reasons.

Firmino in the second half was as good in possession as anyone I’ve ever seen.

Flawless.

Really hope it counts for something in 4 weeks

If it does it will be amazing. But, if it doesn’t, I’ll be gutted like any fan, but come on, things are looking seriously good. Our nearest member of the chasing pack is a million miles away and we will only get stronger in the summer. Next two city games will decide it.

Yesterday, good performance all round. I’m more inclined to agree with Brendan’s ratings as we were good, but not great. More sevens than eights.

1am stifled yell and raised arms for that stinger missile launched by Salah. Glad I missed the first half. 2nd half was a joy to watch, especially after the 2 goals. That 10 minutes spurt by Chelsea/Hazard was amazing. After the post and mishit, I was thinking surely we cannot lose now. We have the rub of the green. Soon enough everything calmed down to the inevitable end. Great match. Great game. Wonderful result.

I wasn't really enjoying the game much until the second half; it was a strangely flat first 45 minutes - or "cagey" as the usual cliches would have it - with Chelsea keeping a very regimented formation and playing style, while the fans kept things edgy with a volley of chants directed at each other helping keep the atmosphere febrile.

Liverpool flew at Chelsea early in the second half, with Henderson not just hovering in the inside right position but starting to influence the game across the pitch, and he created the first for the irrepressible Sadio Mane. That was followed straight away by a Salah Exocet that exploded into their net before the keeper had finished his dive. Hazard flickered into life and should have scored twice, but after that wobble, we strangled the game for yet another win. Class.

Allison (7) Not really that busy, but made a smart save from a Hazard shot (that was mishit) and took some good catches. Went about his business smartly and decisively.

TAA (7) I really enjoyed that Cruyff turn and shot; it's glimpses like that which suggest he could be a very, very special player for Liverpool. Smart in possession and some great distribution. he could have done with a bit more help at times, given that Willian and Hazard took a few bites, but overall this was another good display.

Matip (7) There are times when his interventions can look a bit "last stand at the Alamo" but he's getting the job done and contributed to another clean sheet, so well played again 50p head.

Virgil (7) Showed some uncanny positioning which helped snuff out some dangerous attacks, but even the imperious Van Dijk had a couple of moments that showed we were under pressure once or twice. Enjoyed his "Row Z" decision-making too. We need that sometimes.

Robertson (7) Up. Down. Up. Down. The Scot has an engine like a turbo-charged VW Golf - it just keeps turning over and powering his wiry frame along that left wing in perpetuity. This wasn't one of his very best games in terms of attacking influence, but that engine never skips or drops off and makes him a constant option out wide and allows him to keep the space and time available for their attackers diminished.

Henderson (8) Was a bit too isolated in the first half, loitering too much out wide, but then decided to win the game in the second half by making the pitch feel the size of a postage stamp for Chelsea's players. They couldn't even look over their shoulders without seeing Hendo's gurning face about two inches away. Set up the first goal with a lovely dinked cross and then just bossed it.

Keita (6) Positive in almost everything he tries; his passing and movement is always forwards and he found some good spaces to play in. Couldn't ever find the killer pass though and faded after the break, before being replaced by Wijnaldum. Improving, but still needs to do more, he's still a bit weak and needs to do more of the dirty work in that position

Fabinho (7) Was probably the best player on the pitch in the first half, as he snapped into tackles and then carried the ball forward well. He provided a solid platform for the artists to take centre stage in the second half, and was impressive in helping keep Chelsea's midfield subdued.

Mane (8) 2019's best player continued in the same rich vein of form, as he had a great battle with Azpilicueta, addressing him with guile, pace and skill, as well as the occasional clump. Came out on top - as usual - and scored the opening goal.

Firmino (7) Had a pretty mediocre first half, as he couldn't quite get into the game and his passing wasn't sharp enough. Must have had the same half-time oranges as Henderson, because he was everywhere in the second half, lighting fires all over the pitch with his skill, movement and passing.

Salah (8) After the Southampton belter, Salah went one better here, dispatching a 20 yard missile into the top corner of the hapless Arrizabologna's net. He was making Emerson's life a fucking misery before that anyway, bewitching his old team-mate with close control, vision and powerful runs in and around the box. Class. Top class.

I would give everybody 1 more point than you have but still enjoyed your assessments. Much more enjoyable than those forced humour Ben Johnson ratings.

I think we played a lovely football match. Carried the ball well, broke up their gameplan and put them under immense pressure. We moved well around and worked hard for each other. Chelsea looked like they had nothing to answer with and it stayed like that until we suddenly were 2 up and they were forced to change. Keita and Fabinho was brilliant together With MOM Henderson in the middle. The three upfront is a joy to watch and so much better than what most other clubs can offer, and VVD and Matip controlled the defence well.

A great win, although chelsea look a shadow of their former selves. That goal from Salah, dear me, what a beauty.
I'd expect Cardiff to be a tougher nut to crack, although they don't have to much going the other way.

Footy365's 16 conclusions:

[article]2) Not that this was a performance to delight a manager who demands no less than his messages to be heeded to the letter. There were moments, especially at 2-0 up, when Klopp was apoplectic on the touchline as his players threatened to be carried away on the wave of an immense home support.

Liverpool played better with the scores level than they did in the ten minutes after earning a two-goal advantage. Passes went awry, Roberto Firmino started attempting random Rabonas and Andy Robertson was still charging recklessly into the Chelsea area to leave the hosts completely exposed to the counter-attack. Their game management was terrible until they eventually settled.

But it was endearing, and the result of a collective release of colossal pressure after a few days of build-up. That Klopp will be eager to eradicate such emotional play exemplifies just how high his and Liverpool’s standards have become.[/article]
[article]7) But the combination of Fabinho and Keita ensured Liverpool always retained a foothold. The pair have started just six games together in central midfield in all competitions, with the League Cup third-round tie against Chelsea in September their only defeat.

With the only previous wins in that sextet of games coming against Porto, Bournemouth and Southampton, this was a significant statement and the first sign that Klopp’s vast summer investment was justified.

Keita continued his excellent recent run with an assured and innovative performance, while Fabinho was irrepressible. The Brazilian completed the most passes (78) of any player for either side, leading Liverpool for distance covered (11.69km) and tackles (4), one of which was absolutely sensational from behind on Hazard in the tenth minute.
To match a master of the art like Kante blow for blow is no mean feat. That Keita is finally approaching Fabinho’s level of impact bodes well.[/article]
[article]13) The substitutions were key. In the 13 minutes after Liverpool’s second goal, the hosts had just 50.9% of the possession as they gradually lost control and the game descended into an end-to-end affair. Georginio Wijnaldum was then brought on for Keita in the 66th minute, with Klopp’s side boasting 66.5% of the possession thereafter.

As excellent as Keita was, the situation called for a calmer, more reserved head. Wijnaldum – and the substitution itself – slowed the game down. James Milner came on for Henderson to reinforce the point 11 minutes later, while Xherdan Shaqiri was essentially used as a stoppage-time pawn to grant Salah a standing ovation. Liverpool abandoned the chaos; the once-twisted fire starters poured cold water on any lingering embers as soon as they could.[/article]

gettyimages-1142658065.jpg

Willian is so impressed with Firmino's skills that he does a Phil Jones.

Keita, Henderson & Fabinho were boss; keita is finally showing the form you'd expect from a big fee transfer

Fabinho has been a monster since September and Henderson, well i'm no fan of his but seeing him play further forwards has marked a massive upturn in form

That fucking midfield!

I have to say that I thought Michael Oliver was excellent yesterday. Best referee in the league by a country mile.

We had a thread the other week about the standard of referees and I said Oliver was the best. He’s only bang average though. The rest are diabolical.

I thought the level of disdain klopp had for the 'slipping bullshit' is partially fueled by diriding his successes for the silver medals. He's right that this team will have achieved a lot to get that amount of points, regardless of what happens. But he's also wrong, and he knows that, too.

It feels weirdly like the squad is peaking now at just the right time. Earlier we have had patches through the season where cerain players were up while others were flat but right now everybody looks confident and hungry for a battle. Having Keita finally settle while Hendo finds his best form in years and Salah rediscovers last seasons magic, it all seems to be clicking. And thats with Ox and Gomez waiting in the wings to keep the competition for places as fierce as its ever been.

A word on Trent, earlier in the season he was absolutely mauled when we played Chelsea. Constantly out of position, left loads of space for Hazard to break into and generally looked a very weak link in our defence. Well yesterday he showed how much hes learned in the last 6 months. He was excellent, picking his moments to bomb forward and when to play safe. Hes going to be a very very good player this fella if he keeps listening to the players around him and learning.

A great point made in the comments to the tweet above. Basically Chelsea didn't have an out ball to escape our press because of Hazard at #9 – so we could turn on the gegenpress machine on max without fear of being bypassed by a long ball. Our top 5 pressers in this game were:

Firmino 14
Fabinho 13
Hendo 10
Keita 9
Salah 6

A great point made in the comments to the tweet above. Basically Chelsea didn't have an out ball to escape our press because of Hazard at #9 – so we could turn on the gegenpress machine on max without fear of being bypassed by a long ball. Our top 5 pressers in this game were:

Firmino 14
Fabinho 13
Hendo 10
Keita 9
Salah 6

Fucking Bobby, my man.

I had a sense of calm watching during that game which is at odds with the usual nerves I get during big games, as if I fully expected to win regardless of what the opposition did. There was, for me, a sense of luck going our way. Take for example the chances that fell to Hazard who missed chances he would surely have slotted on most occasions.

Citeh are the favourites no doubt, but the pressure is on them more than us in my opinion. We only have the expectation of our own fanbase whereas everyone else expects them to win. It's going to be fascinating and stressful in equal measure. Klopp keeps saying we should enjoy it, if only!

It feels weirdly like the squad is peaking now at just the right time. Earlier we have had patches through the season where cerain players were up while others were flat but right now everybody looks confident and hungry for a battle. Having Keita finally settle while Hendo finds his best form in years and Salah rediscovers last seasons magic, it all seems to be clicking. And thats with Ox and Gomez waiting in the wings to keep the competition for places as fierce as its ever been.

A word on Trent, earlier in the season he was absolutely mauled when we played Chelsea. Constantly out of position, left loads of space for Hazard to break into and generally looked a very weak link in our defence. Well yesterday he showed how much hes learned in the last 6 months. He was excellent, picking his moments to bomb forward and when to play safe. Hes going to be a very very good player this fella if he keeps listening to the players around him and learning.

It is a nice peak, and could prove to pay off if we get to the CL final and win our remaining games (regardless of City performances) but our form suffered during the FA cup time off in Feb when we had 4 draws in 5 games. I think that would have been a time to be at a peak as we would have had a lead at the top and might have an external effect on City's ability to keep on winning i.e. winning to stay top vs winning to stay in the chase. However - i get that we can legislate for the fact that they have won 14 on the bounce. Insane form and amazing if we do manage to overturn this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom