• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Champions League finds a way of making the group stage even more boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever happened to that Europa C competition?

Would love to see Everton take on some Cypriot relegation fodder side (& losing)

4 matches extra per team? So does this mean expanding groups from 4 teams to 5 and also adding another stage in the knockout round?

This could mean that teams in the CL maybe excused from playing in the league cup competition,.....maybe ?

4 matches extra per team? So does this mean expanding groups from 4 teams to 5 and also adding another stage in the knockout round?
Pretty sure I read this morning the idea would be a second group phase of four matches after the first group phase

Pretty sure I read this morning the idea would be a second group phase of four matches after the first group phase
Well that's just great. In the near future we're going to be looking at squads with at least 33 senior players. 3 matches every week. World cup, Euro, Euro Vs South America cup, Fa cup final in Seattle, Monstars vs All-stars in the summer.
Earth 1 Vs Earth 2 World cup. The sky is the limit. We're gonna create a time machine and bring back the 1982 Brazil team and play them against the 1994 Brazil team.

No chance. '82 team would school the '94 team.
Can we make a few stops and collate the best players to represent both NI and RoI and see how good they are?

OR, go back and stop whatever happened that led to the creation of two teams in the first place?

I don't have a problem with its format but if it were to be re-jigged I think each of the top 5 leagues needs one less place (meaning quality of Europa League goes up) and you cut some of the spares from other leagues also. I would prefer it to have more knockout aspects than group for more surprises early on.

Ability, no. Fitness, maybe. So they would go on a Klopp preseason before hand and then unleash the amazingness.
He may have a point, but the 94 team will be chasing shadows trying to get the ball from the 82 team. Also the 94 team will think that keeping them outside the final third will be enough and then Boom Boom, the 82 players start scoring with their long range efforts. All this as Socrates has a fag break at half time !!! Aaawwwww the 82 team, that team, i have tears in my eyes...

Last edited:
If we have to play another 4 games in the champions league, there is no way we'll ever see a first teamer near the league cup ever again.

I don't have a problem with its format but if it were to be re-jigged I think each of the top 5 leagues needs one less place (meaning quality of Europa League goes up) and you cut some of the spares from other leagues also. I would prefer it to have more knockout aspects than group for more surprises early on.
Adding a two legged playoff for the second placed & third placed side from each group would have been a decent shout if they're insisting on more games. It'd help reduce 'dead rubber' matches too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom